Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

lelandjs posted:

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a Lion King remake (or, heck, any of their remakes so far) but if that post earlier is accurate, then they are doing something different with the property. Lion King does deserve a more nuanced take on the story than the original children's film offered (it is, after all, Hamlet).

What if it's literally the text from hamlet, but every line ends with Meow?

Maybe roar if they're angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Scar wins. gay desegregation lion 4 lyfe

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Alas, poor Yorick (meow)! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy (meow).

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
They should go all-in and have the entire cast die by the end.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Goodnight, sweet purrince.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The_Doctor posted:

The plots of Black Panther and Lion King are somewhat similar? What the hell are you reading into it? :confused:

The plots didn't really stick out to me as hugely similar (the most similar aspect is half in a different movie) so I figured you were just making a "black people = Lion King" joke

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Writing a video about how the Best Animated Feature Oscar sucks so if you have impassioned pleas about why it stanks please let loose with them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You mean conceptually or in terms of selection?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The plots didn't really stick out to me as hugely similar (the most similar aspect is half in a different movie) so I figured you were just making a "black people = Lion King" joke

Why do people associate black people with the Lion King, anyway? It's set in Africa, but only a small fraction of the characters are voiced by black people. If anything it seems like a practically white supremacist movie to me in that it depicts an idealized Africa without any people in it. I'm not calling the movie racist, I'm just saying there's a better argument that it's a racist movie than that it's an anti-racist movie. I don't really know why people liked it so much? Circle Of Life is a really good song I guess? :shrug:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Tale of Princess Kaguya was loving robbed.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Unmature posted:

Writing a video about how the Best Animated Feature Oscar sucks so if you have impassioned pleas about why it stanks please let loose with them.

One: It was only created because people threw fits over Beauty and the Beast nearly winning best picture.

Two: It's clear from comments from Oscar voters that they just don't care, for them - animation is a ghetto for children and isn't worth serious thought.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Unmature posted:

I don’t have such a plea but my guess is a common counter will be "it’s better than nothing!!" so if you have room for nipping that in the bud it may be worthwhile.

21 Muns posted:

Why do people associate black people with the Lion King, anyway?

quote:

It's set in Africa

Seems like you know the answer? (The "people are racist pieces of poo poo" rest of the equation is implied.)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

YggiDee posted:

The Tale of Princess Kaguya was loving robbed.

Basically

Robindaybird posted:

One: It was only created because people threw fits over Beauty and the Beast nearly winning best picture.

Two: It's clear from comments from Oscar voters that they just don't care, for them - animation is a ghetto for children and isn't worth serious thought.

Those two points are kinda contradictory, since Beauty and the Beast nearly winning meant a lot of Oscar voters loved it.

And I'm not overly concerned about the category existing, since it does acknowledge that animation deserves recognition. If the category didn't exist, then we'd never see any animated films at the Oscars. It'd be like removing best foreign film, you'd be losing out on a lot of well deserving films that should be recognized but would have almost no hope of getting into another category.

Now, the fact that best animated features can't also be best picture is where you could say prejudice against animation exists.

EDIT: course, this is all coming at things from a rules perspective. the actual culture around oscar voters and what they consider worth watching is a whole nother thing.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The category is bullshit because the entire ceremony is bullshit.

But as people have said, it's a number of people who barely have any knowledge of, or barely acknowledges, an entire field of art being asked to decide which is the greatest example of the medium. It's like people who think documentaries are either concert films or people telling depressing stories about how hard it is not to be white, and asking for their honest opinion of the best example. And taking their opinion at face value when every year they give it to the yearly Rolling Stone film.

Worse is that the entire process is so opaque. Is there any responsibility for the voters to watch 'every' nominee that's not nominated for Best Picture? Is there an option to abstain from voting in a category? Does the Academy try to emphasize and educate their voters to abstain if they cannot have an educated opinion about the nominees?

(Warning, unsubstantiated and barely remembered recollections) Add to that how easy it is to game the system if your in the Hollywood inner circle. When you're Disney, you can blow obscene amounts of money to campaign for whatever Disney/Pixar film you figure will have the easiest time to win. A benefit that most of the nominees in the category will never have. And (if I'm remembering second hand info from probably a decade ago) it's the previous nominees for the category that vote for what will eventually become the small number of nominees the entire Academy will vote for. And considering Disney and Pixar contains the largest number of nominees by far, it's easy to imagine the number games they play to guarantee the field they compete against.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
i won an oscar for my stirring debut, bumcheeks in the meadow

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Worse is that the entire process is so opaque. Is there any responsibility for the voters to watch 'every' nominee that's not nominated for Best Picture?

Nope.

quote:

Is there an option to abstain from voting in a category?

Yep.

quote:

Does the Academy try to emphasize and educate their voters to abstain if they cannot have an educated opinion about the nominees?

Yes and no. Here's a quick write up of how it basically works: https://mashable.com/2018/03/04/oscars-voting-process-explained/#juJTG1qLPqqw

To answer your question:

quote:

If you're an active or lifetime member, you're allowed to vote. However, to come up with the list of nominees, generally, individual branches vote for nominees within their field. So if you're a costume designer, you nominate costume designers, if you're an sound engineer, you nominate sound engineers.

The idea is to leave the nominating process to the professionals in that particular genre.

In certain categories, however, all members can nominate their favorites. Best Animated Feature is one example. The category was actually restricted in the past, but recently, it moved to open voting for all members, which is how The Boss Baby became an Oscar-nominated movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

An outrage so great, it took them ten years to act on it.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I wonder if Disney did some hard lobbying with the Academy somehow to get the category created. Like they knew they could create masterpieces every year and still only maybe sometimes win an Oscar, or they could have a category with nearly guaranteed success at a consistent rate.

Also, question in a similar vein: Do you think the idea of animation being kids stuff is more the fault of Disney or Hanna-Barbera? Or some other force at work?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Robindaybird posted:

It was only created because people threw fits over Beauty and the Beast nearly winning best picture.

Understandable, it's no Cocteau.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Samuel Clemens posted:

An outrage so great, it took them ten years to act on it.

I thought it was outrage over Wall-E not getting a BP nomination.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SolarFire2 posted:

WALL-E came out waaaaaay after Best Animated was instated. It won Best Animated.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

dirksteadfast posted:

I wonder if Disney did some hard lobbying with the Academy somehow to get the category created. Like they knew they could create masterpieces every year and still only maybe sometimes win an Oscar, or they could have a category with nearly guaranteed success at a consistent rate.

Also, question in a similar vein: Do you think the idea of animation being kids stuff is more the fault of Disney or Hanna-Barbera? Or some other force at work?

I always figured it was Hanna-Barbera and the rise of cheap TV animation. The Disney features and animated theatrical shorts were for general audiences. Hanna-Barbera started out on the same note, but eventually dipped into child-focused marketing and because they were making large profits on cheap work, others followed suit. Maximize profit, minimalize effort. Artistic integrity is a needless expense.

I also encountered the word "toyetic" in the wild last week. It's so cynical.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Simpsons is like 30 years old, South Park is just over 20, and Family Guy is just a little younger than that. TV animation hasn't been seen as "just for kids" for about a generation now, in fact if you look at the original Cartoon Network channel pitch video they cite the fact that cartoons have a large number of adult viewers as part of the reason for creating CN in the first place.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

SolarFire2 posted:

nah, WALL-E and Dark Knight didn't get BP nominations in the same year and that was the reason we now have more than 5 nominees for that award. The next couple of years Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated for Best Picture, and the Academy, satisfied that their requisite consideration was done, will never nominate another animated movie ever again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Most ironic part of the whole "mice good, rats bad" thing the movie does is that in real life rats are intelligent and sweet and mice are dumb assholes.

The Great Mouse Detective is still a great movie though, speciesism aside.

That makes Ratigan's willful choice of evil and a life of crime all the more tragic and unsettling. :colbert:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
There’s a LOT of history behind why many in the US tend to view animation as garbage for children. I’d place most of the blame on Christian panic over comics in the 50s though followed by Reagan deregulating the kids show circuit in the 80’s which flooded the market with cheap animated commercials disguised as television shows (aka my childhood).

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knFho9WzLJQ

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In recent years animation films haven't been Best Film nomination-quality anyway. Maybe one of the Ghibli films. Don't think any of the Pixar or Disney ones cut it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I don't think this trailer was BAD but I also think it was kind of... weird? Someone else better than me at this figure out why this trailer is just weird instead of being simply bad.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, there haven’t really been any egregious Best Pic animated film snubs recently (I haven’t watched Coco yet though, so maybe that got snubbed?).

I’m still pissed as all hell that The Lego Movie wasn’t nominated for best Animated film though. That was bullcrap.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

I always figured it was Hanna-Barbera and the rise of cheap TV animation. The Disney features and animated theatrical shorts were for general audiences. Hanna-Barbera started out on the same note, but eventually dipped into child-focused marketing and because they were making large profits on cheap work, others followed suit. Maximize profit, minimalize effort. Artistic integrity is a needless expense.

smdh at this casual dismissal of Yo Yogi!'s artistry

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, there haven’t really been any egregious Best Pic animated film snubs recently (I haven’t watched Coco yet though, so maybe that got snubbed?).

I’m still pissed as all hell that The Lego Movie wasn’t nominated for best Animated film though. That was bullcrap.

CoCo is Pixars best film but its not best picture worthy. It did however win the awards it absolutely should have so its not a source of snubbing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

lelandjs posted:

Coco is good and a reasonable choice for Best Animated (i.e. it's not just coasting on being a Disney / Pixar movie) but nah, it didn't get snubbed for Best Picture.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Goon brain: The Best Animated Feature category was invented so that there wouldn't be competition with live-action movies.

Galaxy brain: The Best Animated Feature category was invented to inflate the number of animated features nominated every year.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

DC Murderverse posted:

nah, WALL-E and Dark Knight didn't get BP nominations in the same year and that was the reason we now have more than 5 nominees for that award. The next couple of years Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated for Best Picture, and the Academy, satisfied that their requisite consideration was done, will never nominate another animated movie ever again.

Ah, right. I knew Wall-E had some influence on the Best Picture, just couldn't remember which.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I don't think this trailer was BAD but I also think it was kind of... weird? Someone else better than me at this figure out why this trailer is just weird instead of being simply bad.

It's extremely, extremely Illumination. The Grinch is Gru and Max is the Secret Life of Pets dog if the Secret Life of Pets dog was a Minion.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Illumination really likes that "Happy" song. I think that's their third film to feature it.

The Grinch's home looks very light and airy. Not really selling his character at all, though it looks like they've changed the character considerably. He doesn't have as far to go to be a functioning member of society.

Edit: Yeah he's basically just Gru but not even a supervillain.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...medium=referral

Yikes, I hope this isn't related to Lasseter.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

According to Wikipedia, the Academy didn't want to create a best animation award for a long time because they figured Disney would just nab it every year anyway. Once actual mainstream competition emerged (mostly in the form of Dreamworks), they reversed their policy.

Whether that's true or a post hoc justification, I don't know, but it's certainly closer to the truth than "this generally well-liked animated film being nominated for Best Picture made people so unreasonably angry that eleven years later, they decided to create a new award solely to ensure it would never happen again".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A lot of people in animation get pissed when animation is referred to as a genre, but everyone agrees that it is a distinct medium. I don't see any problem with grouping a separate medium's films in a separate category.

It gets a little blurred with photo-real CG and the crossing of the uncanny valley, but we're not there yet.