Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

LA is, and forever will be garbage until they accept that hella is entirely proper

i think you're yet again forgetting about the norcal/socal feud.

we don't reject "hella", we just dont care lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

It seems like it's saying it does work, but more people end up using the roads because of it.

it's not a coincidence that rush hour from 7-9am and 4-7pm everyday are because more people just want to take a ride. You want proof that people will sit in lovely traffic to get to work everyday with 4+lanes, look at the 91W from Corona to LA. You want proof that people will sit in lovely traffic to get to work everyday with fewer lanes, check literally every other freeway in SoCal that feeds into LA, from the 101 to the 405, etc. People go where the jobs are, it's only moron companies that want to open offices in LA, specifically downtown. My job offered a bonus to move down there, I couldn't have laughed my rear end off fast enough. Going by memory (sorry, no links or studies), but I heard LA roads were designed for approximately 2 million people, but 7 million people commute to work there (not sure if "greater LA" area or just the city proper). So even though there aren't quite as many residents, the sheer, ridiculous amount of commuters make things just suck forever.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah, in NorCal we just say "accident"!

Nice.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LA is the only place I've ever been where traffic jams in the middle of the night are common.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Waltzing Along posted:

LA is the only place I've ever been where traffic jams in the middle of the night are common.

Visit San Diego and witness traffic jams at 5 AM going to North Island.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

"The" accident?

I think there are perpetually 3 accidents between Orange County and San Diego County at all times whenever there's even mild traffic. As soon as one gets cleaned up, someone else crashes. It's like loving clockwork.

This is why we need the two extra lanes so we can get up to three.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
its nice to know that futurism lives on in the civil engineers of california

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

5 AM is the start of morning commute. It's not the middle of the night. I could visit San Diego and try to explain to people what a book is, though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The 5/805 merge literally spans 28 lanes at its widest (see Google Maps) and it still turns into a parking lot during rush hour.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

norcal has seemed to have gotten more salty re: being weirdmad at socal and i feel like it’s the techbros moving in and trying to start poo poo more than anything else

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

stone cold posted:

norcal has seemed to have gotten more salty re: being weirdmad at socal and i feel like it’s the techbros moving in and trying to start poo poo more than anything else
A bunch of people whose sense of self and power depend on their ability to say words on the internet? Naw.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

stone cold posted:

nor cal is just more salty in general, what with the constant gentrification/housing shortage/poors getting pushed out while rich noobs replace them and act like dicks

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, San Franciscans know how to park. Because you have to learn. And they know how to stop on hills and then start again. These are skills you just don't often see from people who come from SoCal.

You can always tell a city car. Either from the neighborhood parking tag or from the battle damage the bumpers have from trying to force their way into a parking space.

And that's when they actually try to park. At any given time, half of all San Francisco cars are double parked, but it's cool because I've got my cautions on.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kaincypher posted:

it's not a coincidence that rush hour from 7-9am and 4-7pm everyday are because more people just want to take a ride. You want proof that people will sit in lovely traffic to get to work everyday with 4+lanes, look at the 91W from Corona to LA. You want proof that people will sit in lovely traffic to get to work everyday with fewer lanes, check literally every other freeway in SoCal that feeds into LA, from the 101 to the 405, etc. People go where the jobs are, it's only moron companies that want to open offices in LA, specifically downtown. My job offered a bonus to move down there, I couldn't have laughed my rear end off fast enough. Going by memory (sorry, no links or studies), but I heard LA roads were designed for approximately 2 million people, but 7 million people commute to work there (not sure if "greater LA" area or just the city proper). So even though there aren't quite as many residents, the sheer, ridiculous amount of commuters make things just suck forever.

So because getting to work is a necessity for people, doesn't that mean that we should widen the freeways so more people can use them, because they have to? If research shows that speed doesn't increase when we widen lanes, but the number of people served increases, is there anything to be gained by keeping the additional people off the freeway?

I'm in nocal and I like socal and I hope they finish the train soon (they won't) so I can get there without taking most of a day to do it.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
The thing is you can still serve more people without hugely increasing congestion by investing in public transportation (and encouraging people to use it). For example, a fleet of buses that can hold 40+ people each could serve as many people as a new lane without the construction costs, and it'll be better for the environment.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FCKGW posted:

i think you're yet again forgetting about the norcal/socal feud.

we don't reject "hella", we just dont care lol

I use hella and I'm from SoCal

Everyone from other states just thinks it's a general Cali thing

Ron Jeremy posted:

And that's when they actually try to park. At any given time, half of all San Francisco cars are double parked, but it's cool because I've got my cautions on.

Don't worry this is true in LA county too

Rah! posted:

lol i walked right into that one

also suck it u nerd

Well that's because you live in San Francisco. Down here we would have had to drive

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 8, 2018

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Skyscraper posted:

So because getting to work is a necessity for people, doesn't that mean that we should widen the freeways so more people can use them, because they have to? If research shows that speed doesn't increase when we widen lanes, but the number of people served increases, is there anything to be gained by keeping the additional people off the freeway?

I'm in nocal and I like socal and I hope they finish the train soon (they won't) so I can get there without taking most of a day to do it.

Widening roads actually increases traffic. It leads more people to drive, and longer distances.

The solution is buses, trains, and housing close to jobs, not more lanes.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Don't discount the Giants/Dodgers rivalry as part of the North vs South skirmish.....and yes SF is continually re-populated every 5 years by Northeastern Trustafarians. They leave and are replaced by the newer versions, over and over and over again. They are also known as "Marina Boys/Girls"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

kurona_bright posted:

The thing is you can still serve more people without hugely increasing congestion by investing in public transportation (and encouraging people to use it). For example, a fleet of buses that can hold 40+ people each could serve as many people as a new lane without the construction costs, and it'll be better for the environment.

The real strength of a solid public transit system is that you can drink on your way to work. If we really advertised that feature I think a lot more people would get on board.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Widening roads actually increases traffic. It leads more people to drive, and longer distances.

The solution is buses, trains, and housing close to jobs, not more lanes.

It's the roads, and not their jobs, that lead people to drive? That doesn't seem right. All of what you mentioned are good solutions, and I'm for them. I just don't think they'll happen, even through they should.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Everyone from other states just thinks it's a general Cali thing

People have yelled at me for saying Cali in person. Do we call it that?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The real strength of a solid public transit system is that you can drink on your way to work. If we really advertised that feature I think a lot more people would get on board.

Most people don't have tech jobs where they're allowed (encouraged, based on what I've heard) to drink, I think

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah but only if you prefix it with "Sunny" and say the full "California" again afterwards.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah but only if you prefix it with "Sunny" and say the full "California" again afterwards.

Oh, you've heard me say it, then!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Skyscraper posted:

It's the roads, and not their jobs, that lead people to drive? That doesn't seem right. All of what you mentioned are good solutions, and I'm for them. I just don't think they'll happen, even through they should.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand

There's many decades of examples and studies showing that increasing capacity leads to increased traffic. Berkeley did a study over 13 years or so in California and concluded that for every 10% increase in capacity, there is a 9% increase in traffic. Widening roads just flat out isn't a solution.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Most people don't have tech jobs where they're allowed (encouraged, based on what I've heard) to drink, I think

So what? Neither have I but unless a foreman comes around and sniffs your breath when you clock in you're good.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Skyscraper posted:

Yes.

Increasing road capacity causes a short term decrease in congestion, but a long term increase in usage that eats up that capacity.

Somebody who lives in Tarzana and commutes to Westwood over the 405 every day would notice the peak rush hour traffic, and then when the 405 is widened, there would be a temporary decrease in traffic, and instead of hanging around in Westwood for a few hours after work until the traffic die down, would just come straight home, increasing peak rush hour usage.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand

There's many decades of examples and studies showing that increasing capacity leads to increased traffic. Berkeley did a study over 13 years or so in California and concluded that for every 10% increase in capacity, there is a 9% increase in traffic. Widening roads just flat out isn't a solution.

I know about that study, I'm replying to someone earlier in the thread who cited it. I don't think widening roads is a solution, I think it's a thing we can do to make life suck less for commuters because we won't build trains, and don't seem to be putting in buses.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Somebody who lives in Tarzana and commutes to Westwood over the 405 every day would notice the peak rush hour traffic, and then when the 405 is widened, there would be a temporary decrease in traffic, and instead of hanging around in Westwood for a few hours after work until the traffic die down, would just come straight home, increasing peak rush hour usage.

Right, but what I'm saying is, having to hang around at your job for a few hours is the loving worst, unless you work at like I guess Google or some place with too much money to spend on in-office jungle gyms or something.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
As others are saying though, widening freeways does not actually benefit commuters except in the immediate short term. You widen the road and rush hour traffic becomes more manageable, which over time causes more people to choose to drive because congestion is the only real reason driving would otherwise be less convenient than public transportation, which increases overall traffic above levels before the freeway was widened, which once again causes rush hour congestion. There are just too many people living too far away from major employment centers to realistically handle all of them driving personal cars no matter how big you make the freeways.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Skyscraper posted:

Mandatory deportation to another state for first offenders, imo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't say widen all freeways.

I said the 5 needs more lanes during the stretch where it is 3 lanes. If a freeway goes from 5 to 3 to 5 lanes that causes traffic just by the merging of lanes.

I don't see what is so hard to understand here. If you live down there, you know exactly the stretch I am talking about because it sucks to drive on during traffic hours.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

But the 5 doesn't need more lanes because more lanes never reduces traffic. Throwing money at a demonstrably ineffective solution is not a solution, period. It sucks to drive EVERYWHERE during traffic hours (and outside of traffic hours).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tuxedo Gin posted:

But the 5 doesn't need more lanes because more lanes never reduces traffic. Throwing money at a demonstrably ineffective solution is not a solution, period. It sucks to drive EVERYWHERE during traffic hours (and outside of traffic hours).

5 lanes.
3 lanes.
5 lanes.

And for some reason, the traffic eases off once the 3 lanes goes to 5. Funny that. Can you explain it? Why does the traffic ease off when it goes from 3 lanes to 5 lanes? And why does it build when going from 5 to 3? I guess it is just coincidence or something. Can't be because of the merging and splitting. That wouldn't make any sense.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Waltzing Along posted:

5 lanes.
3 lanes.
5 lanes.

And for some reason, the traffic eases off once the 3 lanes goes to 5. Funny that. Can you explain it? Why does the traffic ease off when it goes from 3 lanes to 5 lanes? And why does it build when going from 5 to 3? I guess it is just coincidence or something. Can't be because of the merging and splitting. That wouldn't make any sense.

I'm not familiar with that segment but usually that poo poo only happens at interchanges and there will always be traffic at interchanges because people don't know how to get up to speed to merge and other assholes would rather speed up and then slam on their brakes causing a slowdown than let someone merge in front of them. Extra lanes don't cure idiot drivers at interchanges. You could have 20 lanes in every direction and interchanges will still cause them all to slow to a crawl. If that section isn't an interchange then there is likely some other reason they were able to widen everything else to 5 but not that specific segment - I don't know, I don't live in LA.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Skyscraper posted:

I know about that study, I'm replying to someone earlier in the thread who cited it. I don't think widening roads is a solution, I think it's a thing we can do to make life suck less for commuters because we won't build trains, and don't seem to be putting in buses.
But we (meaning Californian cities I guess) are adding more trains. SF is building a new subway line, there's a BART extension going out to SJ, Caltrain is getting electrified so it can run more often, there's at least talk of a second tunnel between SF and the east bay.

I'm less familiar with LA, but I know they've been steadily adding more rail lines the last couple decades and plan to continue. And of course there's the HSR being built.

And there's another option that can greatly improved transit while being technically easy: bus lanes. Of course the whole reason it's not used much is that politically it's super challenging, SOV motorists get very upset.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Widening is very dumb. But it would be nice if east bound 101 skyway to the baybridge in SF to not be a loving shitshow disaster with effectively only 1 lane continuing to the bridge and everything else diverting. It's much faster to go 280N, get off on city streets, plug it up, endanger bikers, pedestrians, gridlock the poo poo out of 3rd/king/harrison/bryant/essex area, and contribute to local pollution, than to stay on 101. that's p messed up. just having that one not divert off to 4th street that no one ever uses would be very helpful but I guess there isn't much to be done

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you want to talk about hosed up San Francisco traffic, just go back to the 1989 earthquake.

There used to be an embarcadero freeway which was ugly as gently caress. The earthquake damaged it so they brought it down. However, it was convenient, too. It added many more ways to get on the freeway leading to the bay bridge.

Same with the 280. It used to extend to the bay bridge but part was damaged so they just tore it down rather than rebuild.

And the whatever it was that now starts at Market street. That used to extend to fell and oak.

So SF went from having easy access to the freeway for the two main one way timed light thoroughfares that connected the east and west sides of the city to having them be on city streets with lots of lights approaching the freeway. About 1/2 mile including a right/left turn depending on direction.

SF had another freeway that damaged the view but connected a major freeway to the bridge and a large part of the downtown area to miles and miles of streets with lights that are not timed and gently caress it. This just pisses me off. I was too young to take advantage of these things but looking back and seeing how much better it was compared to now. Just ugh.

Sure it looks nicer but at the expense of anyone who needs to drive the bridge which is a metric fuckton.

Xaris posted:

It's much faster to go 280N, get off on city streets, plug it up, endanger bikers, pedestrians, gridlock the poo poo out of 3rd/king/harrison/bryant/essex area, and contribute to local pollution, than to stay on 101. that's p messed up. just having that one not divert off to 4th street that no one ever uses would be very helpful but I guess there isn't much to be done

And that 280N used to run directly onto the bridge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Widening would be OK if it was combined with extremely strict multi-county zoning that prevented any additional sprawl. A big part of induced traffic is that it encourages sprawling development in exurbs because people can suddenly commute from that far away in a reasonable time. If we also had at the same time some kind of forced densification near employment centers, maybe that'd work, maybe.

But we can't have that, because people vote against densification in their own neighborhoods, and sprawl is hard to control when there are pre-existing incorporated cities in those exurb locations who directly benefit from the increased tax income of developing single family homes and the associated local businesses as commuters to the distant employment centers show up to buy. We just don't have the kind of top-down powerful government they have in, say, China, which can mandate where people are allowed to live, and can freely bulldoze city neighborhoods (not just the "blighted" ones occupied by poor people, mind you) to build 10-story apartment buildings or whatever.

The only alternative is for local agencies to refuse to expand freeways, insist on expanding local public transit options, and gradually try to pull neighborhoods kicking and screaming into accepting density. But people vote so it comes down to convincing voters.

All this aside, yes, it really is kind of loving stupid for a 5 lane freeway to come down to 3 lanes for a mile just to go back to 5 lanes, and fixing that really is an OK thing to do, irrespective of induced demand, because it's dangerous and ultimately forcing dangerous merges kills people.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The 89 quake bringing down the Embarcadero freeway is the closest thing I've found to evidence that god exists

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

acksplode posted:

The 89 quake bringing down the Embarcadero freeway is the closest thing I've found to evidence that god exists

That will be when SF sinks into the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Humans are gonna do that, not god