Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
lol what angle do I hold this loving thing to get the back of my neck. This is gonna take some getting used to.

(the mach3 is smaller and therefore still better for the tight spots around my ears)

E: the deficiencies of the packed in blades is rapidly becoming apparent. Local shops had 5 packs for $7-10 :gonk: so it looks like I'm going for the gusto and ordering 400 astra razors for $20

The Bloop posted:

I got them too and they're fantastic

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Pretty well, they are a little thin and flimsy compared to the ones you can get at the grocery store but for the price it doesn't matter. They are great for cleaning up ceramics, stove tops, sinks, bathtubs etc. I've even buffed a few blemishes off my car with them. edit: punctuation

Cool. I look forward to using them in five months.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I would recommend a sampler pack before committing to that many blades. Astras were like a cheese grater for me, but ymmv.

For my neck I like to use my shavette, it's kind of like a straight razor but uses the same double edge blades as a safety razor. Sadly I did not see any dirt cheap ones from Ali, I got mine on eBay a few years back for like $15. Edit: $10

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 8, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I hate Astra but Feather works well for me.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I would recommend a sampler pack before committing to that many blades.

That sounds an awful lot like a reasonable and well thought out decision. I dare say that kind of thing has no place in this thread.

E: I'm not waiting until the 14th for them to ship though. 'Free shipping for prime' doesn't mean prime shipping I guess. Cancelled that order for the crime of less than instant gratification.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 8, 2018

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I've been really enjoying this. It's very convenient compared to having to fiddle around with the USB C plug every time I put my phone to charge.

So these arrived a few weeks back, finally. They're silky smooth and quite comfortable. I haven't had any issue with them (yet), and the colour hasn't faded after one round in the washing machine. I only washed them at 30°C though, and they might yet lose their colour. So far, for 10$, I'm quite Ok with this.

In things I ordered, I was looking for a good quality webcam deal, and I found this:

It can do 1080p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps, and 480p at 120fps, which is quite impressive. The quality of the image looks really solid too based on the review they link on the page. Hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know when it does.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got a similar set of those socks but with more designs. they've survived a few wear wash cycles fine so far

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was just sitting here blasting this gun

(link)

While This was Playing.

I should probably avoid reading trumps twitter feed. :bang:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have a BT game controller like this one?

https://www.banggood.com/Universal-...ur_warehouse=CN

I just got mine and it works fine except that the analog stick only behaves like a d-pad even in both game modes. That is to say, the system sees it as an analog axis but it's all or nothing, centered or fully left/forward etc.

I only paid less than two bucks for it but still...

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 8, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Slightly nws

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Shinmera posted:

I've been really enjoying this. It's very convenient compared to having to fiddle around with the USB C plug every time I put my phone to charge.

I had a bunch of these, after a while it started to matter which way round they connected, which made them a pain to use if you plug your phone on overnight and wake up without having had it charge. Then I found the round ones that do power only, much better if a little bulkier.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I don't suppose AliExpress is any place to look for cheap Nvidia GeForce graphics cahahahahaha of course it isn't. Pisssss, my merely adequate onboard graphics card is the only thing keeping me from playing Nier: Automata. :(

Thanks again to this thread for reviews and suggestions! You haven't steered me wrong yet. The last of my previous order finally showed up, a trio of gorgeous holographic Born Pretty polishes. It was my first true Chinese Christmas, since the package tracking had punked out a couple weeks back when it hit the States and I had no idea where it was or when it would arrive. I have another couple of (color-changing) polishes in my current order that I'm looking forward to, too.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I had to take a break from my AliExpress habits for the last few months because I was broke af but got back on the train yesterday by ordering some piercing pliers so I can take out my boyfriend's nose ring for him :toot:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I had a bunch of these, after a while it started to matter which way round they connected, which made them a pain to use if you plug your phone on overnight and wake up without having had it charge. Then I found the round ones that do power only, much better if a little bulkier.

Did you cleaning it with anything like running alcohol? I've got a couple coming, so worst case I get 2x as long by swapping over the usb nubbin in my phone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Should I have? I regularly wiped off the metal particles it seemed to find with a paper towel. Round ones are so much better if you can live with the size. Tiny little magsafe connectors for your phone!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Should I have? I regularly wiped off the metal particles it seemed to find with a paper towel. Round ones are so much better if you can live with the size. Tiny little magsafe connectors for your phone!

Oh no, it just seems like they could get caked up with poo poo, and using some alcohol might have helped clear away and grease/dirt layers. I'll still try it if/when mine stop working, and they're cheap enough it's not the end of the world if they die.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is this like the platinum platinium arguement again?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i dont know why but this is the funniest goddamn thing

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Holy crap I actually won one of those freebie things.

Looks like I'll be getting a small cherry blossom print rug :3:

Edit: wait oh my god when I go on the listing page it shows cherry blossoms, but all the color options are actually just pictures of piglets.
I'm going to get a mystery pig rug aren't I?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HUG...2311.0.0.YqnZ4O
I hope it's judgmental guitar piglet!

Pasketti fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 9, 2018

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

Pasketti posted:

Edit: wait oh my god when I go on the listing page it shows cherry blossoms, but all the color options are actually just pictures of piglets.

Color me jealous. The freebie I won was just a teal green double walled vacuum insulated travel mug. Useful, but no where near as weird and tacky as a mystery piglet rug.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Bit the bullet and ordered stuff from AE: one of the belts that showed up early in the thread and some jeans. The first showed up in a week (!) and the second in two weeks. So I'm impressed.

Question: what minimum do people order? I try for 5 dollars and haven't had any complaints. Does anyone go lower?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Constantly
I order things that are 25 cents all the time.
You have to be chill with the wait time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Most of what I've bought has been like 50¢ earrings, often one pair at a time, and nobody's said anything

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Your mailman is silently judging you though

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
Edit: ^^^^^^ Given the volume of my ordering, I'm thinking my mail carrier may be plotting my death.

My purchases from Ali have all ranged between $0.25 and $180. Both the extremes were single item orders.

Well, the one freebie too I paid a whole penny for, not sure if that counts though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Amphigory posted:

Solution: start a relationship with the mailman and gather blackmail material.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My biggest was actually as a proxy for my dad so he could get the phone price, it was a fire agate for my mother, over here it would have been about $4k, on Ali like 400. It’s like 12 lbs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think the mailman cares because they come in tiny tiny packages, like maybe half the size of a regular envelope.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think the mailman cares because they come in tiny tiny packages, like maybe half the size of a regular envelope.

Seriously, I think they hate me more for ordering bulk lead sinkers domestically from eBay than from ordering hooks, swivels, and lures that weigh a fraction of an ounce from China.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Pasketti posted:

freebie what now? I like mystery free things.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Amphigory posted:

I think the office manager at my apartment complex is judging me because I keep calling it “cheap Chinese crap”when I pick it up. She gave me a weird look the first time I said it. After turning it over in my head for a while, because that’s what I do, I’m wondering if she thinks I’m racist. But, c’mon. It is cheap and almost everything on the address label is in Chinese.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I refer to it as my “fanciful garbage”

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Pasketti posted:

Had no idea about the freebie thing. Thanks! I used my entry for a wedding dress. I’m not getting married, it’d just be fun for Halloween.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Bummey posted:

freebie what now? I like mystery free things.

If you use the app, the front page has a freebie section with a few dozen random items every day people can apply for to win, you get to pick two a day and if you get lucky and win you get the item for $0.01.
The "catch" is that they expect you to leave a good review on the item with lots of pictures when you get it.
I feel like I maybe heard you're more likely to get more free stuff in the future if you win and leave a really in-depth review? I could be imagining that.

I've applied to my two freebies a day for months and this is my first time getting it. I'm pumped just to see what's actually on the dang rug.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Pasketti posted:

The "catch" is that they expect you to leave a good review on the item with lots of pictures when you get it.
I feel like I maybe heard you're more likely to get more free stuff in the future if you win and leave a really in-depth review? I could be imagining that.

I've applied to my two freebies a day for months and this is my first time getting it. I'm pumped just to see what's actually on the dang rug.

I wouldn't doubt it. The way Ali reviews go into depth and include a ton of pictures is highly suspect.

Hope it's a pig

e: it's almost all lady clothes that I can't wear. I mean, I could wear them but they probably wouldn't look good on me. :sigh:
e2: oh, more categories. variety expanded

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 10, 2018

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Shinmera posted:

It can do 1080p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps, and 480p at 120fps, which is quite impressive. The quality of the image looks really solid too based on the review they link on the page. Hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know when it does.

Well, this arrived, and it delivers. It can do 1080p@30fps, but only if you use MJPG pixel format. I'm quite sure this is due to the USB2 connector that simply can't get the data rates done to deliver that amount of data uncompressed. With the uncompressed YUV format you can get 1080p@6fps and 480p@30fps, at least. Either way, the quality is solid, and the camera is really small, about a quarter of my palm. Well recommended for sure. Might just want to order an USB extension cable though, since the one it has is just 1m long.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Does it come exactly like that, unclipped naked PCB and all?

Also potentially bad news for EU goons (until brexit that is):

quote:

The European Commission today formally demanded that the U.K. pay €2.7 billion into the EU budget after investigators found that British authorities allowed a massive Chinese fraud network to evade paying the appropriate level of customs duties.

The network — which imported ultra-cheap Chinese goods into Europe — was first revealed in March last year by the EU’s anti-fraud office OLAF. The EU concluded that British customs allowed those importers to use “fictitious and false invoices and incorrect customs value declarations at importation.”
To reveal the level of abuse of Britain’s customs terms on these clothes, OLAF cited the case of women’s trousers which were declared with a value of 91 cents per kilo, undershooting the market price of cotton at €1.44 per kilogram. The average price for the trousers declared at customs across the EU was €26/kg.

Once the goods entered the U.K., they were then trafficked to members of criminal networks across Europe. The fraudsters then set up “phoenix” companies to take delivery of the goods, according to a joint OLAF-French investigation. These businesses would then disappear, only to be reborn elsewhere.

This strategy enabled the companies to avoid paying VAT because the EU allows importers to pay VAT in the country where they intend to sell it, and not at their port of entry.
https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-demands-uk-pay-e2-7-billion-in-lost-customs-duties/

Hopefully this doesn't affect our 22 EUR tablets and laptops too much.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Does it come exactly like that, unclipped naked PCB and all?

Yep, exactly as on the photo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

VAT is bullshit and good on them for going around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

These weren't the superhero stickers I was looking for, but now I feel like I have to get them to torment people with:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32P...2848081096.html