Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I’d heard the scammers try to weed people out, but not because of limited ability to follow up on leads. That’s a part I’d not considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i read a microsoft research paper a while back that proved that spam emails are most effective when their claims are the most absurd

they had a bunch of game theory and mathematical proofs but the high-level summary is: the spammer can only follow up on so many leads, and a person who figures out the scam at some point prior to putting their credit card in the mail means all the time spent working on them was wasted. so it's in the scammer's interest to make the stories as insane as possible, as a sort of filter -- only the dumbest and most gullible people will respond, and those are the ones who are most likely to go all the way.

unexpected result but also makes perfect sense

yeah i know all about that, i think that combined with the content of the spam i've seen means spam is a good (or at least funny) barometer for like, the collective subconscious of idiots. in this case it's not so much the claims that are absurd though it's the stuff that's just taken as given, like of course bill gates is the smartest man in the world, isn't that obvious?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
richest=smartest, duh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rjmccall posted:

same, but so i'm not tempted to flame people in the swift evolution forums

LOL if you use a forum

“wah, mailing lists are old tech, why can’t you get with the times and make it so I have to visit some web site for everything” says the millennial with nothing of interest to contribute

just look at the current participation on the Swift forums vs the past participation on the mailing lists and repeat to yourself: eschaton was right again

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

atomicthumbs posted:

... Holy poo poo you could train an adversarial neural network to send spam with CTR and conversion rate as a loss function

coming soon to a mailbox near you:

rainbow elsa spiderman slip joker hulk hurt toilet joke finger family nursery rhyme

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Wheany posted:

coming soon to a mailbox near you:

rainbow elsa spiderman slip joker hulk hurt toilet joke finger family nursery rhyme

...with kinder surprise egg

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yospos sweetheart sarah jeong has a (typically good) piece up about techies using their moneys to fund elections

this bit caught my eye

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/971828981870739456

someone literally fills his twitter feed with esr screencaps and doesnt stop until his friends contribute $x to whatever campaign hes highlighting

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i put in a grand into the slouchcampaign
someone else put in two grand
thats gotta count for something, for a failed dick wolf campaign lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i also have been corrected on the pronunciation of ceglowski's name like 10 times and i still can't get it lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FMguru posted:

someone literally fills his twitter feed with esr screencaps and doesnt stop until his friends contribute $x to whatever campaign hes highlighting

esr recently opined on the Culture, it's a very effective tactic

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/971535589941170176

Silicon Valley has already luxurified buses, corner stores, and dietary meal replacements in the name of disruption. And now … dormitories? The rooms in question, says the Times’ Nellie Bowles, are inhabited by “many of the non-tech population” of San Francisco, though they are decorated in a fashion and rent at prices—$1,400–$2,400 for a fully furnished 130 to 220 square-foot room, with utilities and internet included—that signal Bay Area bougie. So far, the developer, Starcity, has three properties with 36 units; nine more properties are in development. It has a waitlist of 8,000 people.

it then spends the rest of the article defending SROs as cool and good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
honestly sro's are prolly perfect for techies. if it means more 1br/2brs open for others, that's ok

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

JawnV6 posted:

esr recently opined on the Culture, it's a very effective tactic
the whole article is a pip

quote:

In the first quarter of 2018 alone, the Great Slate has raised over $140,000, primarily through word of mouth on the internet. The donors I spoke to seemed to give mostly in amounts of hundreds, sometimes less. A good chunk of that was driven by security researcher Thomas Ptacek’s promise to stop tweeting about Eric S. Raymond, a notorious figure in the open-source community whose bizarre and abundant ramblings on everything including race and sex could be considered early forerunners of current alt-right strains in the tech community.

Raymond, popularly known as ESR, is a “philosophical leader of open source” who has long been pilloried for his controversial views — statements like “Gays experimented with unfettered promiscuity in the 1970s and got AIDS as a consequence” or “Police who react to a random black male behaving suspiciously who might be in the critical age range as though he is an near-imminent lethal threat, are being rational, not racist.”

“I’ve been torturing Twitter with lurid Eric S. Raymond quotes for years,” says Thomas Ptacek. “Every time I do, 20 people beg me to stop.” So Ptacek held his followers hostage: pay up, or the ESR quotes would keep coming. It’s estimated that Ptacek has driven somewhere around $30,000, just by threatening to post eye-searing screencaps.

“ESR is a talentless hack whose reputation is entirely built on self promotion and being in the right place at the right time. His attempts to define the culture that gave him everything he has have been repugnant,” says Matthew Garrett, a security engineer at Google who donated to the Great Slate. “So am I enthusiastic about performatively associating these things together in a way that also says gently caress you to his political views? Yes, yes I am.”

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

no you see i'm not racist, i'm just standing out here yelling NIG*plink* oh thank you sir, anyway what was i saying

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
edmunds has been test driving their tesla model 3 and welp

quote:

Body panel gaps are inconsistent, reflecting a lack of attention to detail….After we brought ours home, we discovered it also had a cracked vanity mirror and a broken driver’s seat shell. In our first six weeks, we’ve had to do the equivalent of a Windows PC’s Ctrl-Alt-Del reboot of the all-important touchscreen about a dozen times.

We’ve called a Tesla service center about the problems, but have had difficulty getting an appointment. Drive-ups were not welcome, so our parts were ordered based on photographs alone. Weeks later, we’re still waiting for word and it’s hard to get answers.
you have to reboot the center console twice a week

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

edmunds has been test driving their tesla model 3 and welp

you have to reboot the center console twice a week

what if tesla is actually a long con by mopar to make their cars look well built

hold on, despite all that they're giving it 4.5/5 stars? https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-3/2017/

thats some verge level scoring

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 8, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

what if tesla is actually a long con by mopar to make their cars look well built

hold on, despite all that they're giving it 4.5/5 stars? https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-3/2017/

thats some verge level scoring

i'm the EPA estimated 126 miles per gallon

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

One Gallon of Electricity, please

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

i'm the EPA estimated 126 miles per gallon

the EPA had to come up with an MPGe number to put in the field because the MPG is required to be on the car's sticker by law :laugh:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xaris posted:

honestly sro's are prolly perfect for techies. if it means more 1br/2brs open for others, that's ok

still too much since they would have private rooms

better still would be dense barracks-style housing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

standing room only, imo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
hong kong cage rooms

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

President Beep posted:

hong kong cage rooms

m bison yes gif

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

the whole article is a pip

That guy is a good twooter, been following him for a while

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Krankenstyle posted:

standing room only, imo

Bring back penny sit-ups, but charge $2k/month to techies because of network opportunities.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the latest EIT is all about the internet of things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzv3iWxfGsc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

hong kong cage rooms

dachau standing cells

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dachau standing cells

that one scene from the wall where the kids are marching into a giant meat grinder only its techbros

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

ate all the Oreos posted:

the latest EIT is all about the internet of things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzv3iWxfGsc

Shake off this lousy Smarch weather with a fairytale made especially for a computer! SpookyTooth presents: ELECTRIC DREAMS!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

still too much since they would have private rooms

better still would be dense barracks-style housing

san francisco is gonna be cyberpunk dubai if this poo poo goes on much longer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

san francisco is gonna be cyberpunk dubai if this poo poo goes on much longer

not enough room for live-in help when a 900 square foot 2BR is 2 mil

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

How about to avoid expensive land prices we build floating hostels in the bay? This allows convenient access to the area while keeping prices down. Four cent coffins work and are very space efficient, I have drawn a rough sketch to prove the feasibility of the idea

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

why are you posting screenshots from seat guru in the techbubble thread?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

not enough room for live-in help when a 900 square foot 2BR is 2 mil

that's not the dubai lifestyle i was referencing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SuB8u/status/971943190856056832

Toddler poop metrics

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blue Train posted:

How about to avoid expensive land prices we build floating hostels in the bay? This allows convenient access to the area while keeping prices down. Four cent coffins work and are very space efficient, I have drawn a rough sketch to prove the feasibility of the idea

jfc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

i first saw this image in a third grade history textbook and the part that haunts me to this day are the people crammed into the very front. that really hit 8 year old me for some reason.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The front is the most obvious example of the brutality so makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

actually