Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My coworker grew up in California City. He likes to tell me stories about it.

They had a parade and ribbon cutting ceremony when they finally got a McDonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if you’re desperate to live in the Valley forget loving Fresno and just move to Sacramento. at least there’s poo poo to do there

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you’re desperate to live in the Valley forget loving Fresno and just move to Sacramento. at least there’s poo poo to do there

Sacto rent prices have been accelerating, though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I initially considered Sacremento but housing seems expensive there.

It does attract me that it's the most diverse city in the country.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nobody recommends Glory Hole, California?

For shame.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Nobody recommends Glory Hole, California?

For shame.

A Glory Hole is a place you definitely should visit but you sure as poo poo don't wanna live there

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm in Sacramento (Roseville actually) for several years now since I get to telecommute a lot and am old and don't give a crap (relocated from Sunnyvale). Besides the summer weather, I really don't miss a loving thing. The worst of the Freepers stay in the foothills but yeah, they are lurking everywhere but being offset more and more by bay area exiles.

I can get to Truckee in 45 min (I remember back when I lived in SF it taking 45 min just to get to 280 South on ramp from USF area back in the mid-90's some days, meh). :colbert:

Don't go to Fresno on purpose (even to visit). You will have to go through it to go to the awesome southern sierra mountains, though.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FilthyImp posted:

Build all the 20 lane highways you want. They'll have to taper down to 3-5 lane highways/interchanges at some point, and you'll surprisingly get a bunch of backup from the morons trying to cut across the whole thing to get to their offramp.

To be fair to some of those morons, offramps and interchanges are often really loving poorly marked.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Waltzing Along posted:

Would you rather they continue to overpopulate SF/LA? All my arguments are valid for why Fresno would be a good place for a non-Californian to move to.

I also forgot to mention that it's also not a horribly long drive to the ocean, either.

FYI, if you live in Fresno and drive to the ocean, everybody in the ocean towns will know exactly where you're from immediately and will resent the poo poo out of you while begrudgingly taking your tourist dollars. Best to buy a Gilroy t-shirt and wear that instead.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

CPColin posted:

FYI, if you live in Fresno and drive to the ocean, everybody in the ocean towns will know exactly where you're from immediately and will resent the poo poo out of you while begrudgingly taking your tourist dollars. Best to buy a Gilroy t-shirt and wear that instead.

Not always. If you go to visit San Diego they won't know you're from Fresno, they'll assume you're from Arizona and hate you even more.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Journal of my move from Switzerland to the IE, Day 470:

It is day 8 of the escrow we put down on a home. The house looked initially beautiful with obviously renovated kitchen and bathrooms, well-kept yards, and the home even had solar panels and energy efficient appliances and windows. Easily worth the chunk of change that my wife and I offered.

Despite our realtor saying we only needed to do the general inspection and that further stuff was a waste of time, we had plumbers electricians and even an earthquake retrofit contractor come to check out the home. For reasons beyond my wildest imagination, the former owners took out a 30k PACE loan to install brand new solar panels on a roof that was falling apart. Spent God knows how much money upgrading a kitchen on pipes that were well past their end date, and despite getting permitted for the electrical work none of it was to code.

But kicker is that the foundation has literally sunk into the ground so that the wood makes contact with the soil which is a termite and wood rot issue. Total cost for the foundation repair itself is easily 68k. The same realtor who told us that we were getting a lot of extra inspections, and that nobody in SoCal earthquake retrofits their homes is now saying that we obviously cannot stomach older homes and that we should focus on stuff built more recently. This is something she says to a couple that lived in very old homes in Switzerland. WTF.

What the hell is up with the real estate market here?

EDIT: Wait wait, I forgot that there was a detached garage which none of the inspectors could figure out how or why it was built the way it was. Why the f*** would anyone bother spending money on these things if you're not going to do a good job.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 9, 2018

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Every building in Southern California is either gratuitously overpriced, falling apart, or both. Enjoy your stay!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

We don't buy homes to live in in America, we just buy them to apply a fresh coat of paint and sell them now that they're worth more money.

This goes double in places where real estate is expensive like California.

ne: if you come from Switzerland then America must look like loving China in its business practices

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I'm not originally from Switzerland, I grew up and got my degrees in the eastern US. My family just moved to to Switzerland for awhile before we moved here to California. It's not like I have not bought homes in the US before, the market here is just bizzare.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I think most people are sitting on their houses because buying a house means they have to pay proper property tax instead of paying taxes on a house they bought decades ago for a fraction of the price.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

CopperHound posted:

California City, because planned cities are a foundation for a modern utopia :jerkbag:

punk rebel ecks posted:

I already live here though.

What is the story with this place?

It’s the annual home of Wasteland Weekend, that’s what!

As to where to move to... Pleasanton. Love by the quarry, it’s cheaper. :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also Riverside and the IE were seen as were the "poor people" lived and home maintenance wasn't as high a priority.

It wasn't until the early 2000s when the population exploded and home values really started to rise in that area. There have been a lot of flips in the last 10-15 years and those are finding their way back on the market.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Anonymous Zebra posted:

What the hell is up with the real estate market here?

EDIT: Wait wait, I forgot that there was a detached garage which none of the inspectors could figure out how or why it was built the way it was. Why the f*** would anyone bother spending money on these things if you're not going to do a good job.
No one is building / they're knocking down homes to build townhomes on the lots that sell for 650k+/the only thing available is poo poo that shouldnt sell for over 45k.

Like there are literally condemned buildings / buildings with half-done plumbing & exposed studs that sell for North of 380k in L.A. right now.
Then you get into homes that look ok but you read the fine print and the 2/1 home is somehow now a 4/3 (buyer to verify all permits) and you just go gently caress this poo poo.

If your case, it sounds like a case of Renovate the bare minimum to get an excited buyer and saddle them with the extensive repair costs.
(Just kidding, the buyer will flip it and pay forward the broken rear end bullshit

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 9, 2018

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The funny thing is, I've been actively avoiding flips. My wife and I are only visiting homes where the sale records indicate that people were living there at least for a little while before trying to sell it. In this case it was a woman who actually renovated and made her home energy efficient with solar power for her own enjoyment. And then apparently had a heart attack or something and is now in a retirement home. So in theory these renovations were made with love. Like I said, she took out a 30k loan to build all this poo poo.

I cannot believe that when she investigated the home and had it inspected that no one mentioned the foundation to her. The foundation guy literally told my wife and I that we could risk letting it go but even if it did not cause the house to sag before we moved we would not be able to sell the place. It's all moot anyway, the lender my wife and I are using requires a termite Section 1 inspection clearance which this place could not possibly pass with the evident soil to wood contact, so I couldn't buy this place even if I wanted to.

I'm more blown away that apparently nobody actually checks out their homes here. I've made pretty long arguments in the finance sub-forum here in something awful about the perks of being a homeowner when you engage in careful purchasing behaviors. I was floored that my realtor was basically giving me crap for hiring my own independent inspector who cost about double the person she suggested, and for following through his inspection by having licensed roofers, electricians, plumbers, and earthquake retrofitters come check out the home as per the inspector suggestions.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Not always. If you go to visit San Diego they won't know you're from Fresno, they'll assume you're from Arizona and hate you even more.

Zonies go home

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Aardvark posted:

Zonies go home

It's funny how this word will immediately peg someone as being from San Diego since nobody else uses it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm more blown away that apparently nobody actually checks out their homes here. I've made pretty long arguments in the finance sub-forum here in something awful about the perks of being a homeowner when you engage in careful purchasing behaviors. I was floored that my realtor was basically giving me crap for hiring my own independent inspector who cost about double the person she suggested, and for following through his inspection by having licensed roofers, electricians, plumbers, and earthquake retrofitters come check out the home as per the inspector suggestions.

A) You should be posting in the homebuying thread, it's a good thread and you can get lots of advice!
B) Fire your loving realtor, there are lots of realtors and you have a terrible one

People absolutely do check out their homes here. Everyone in the homebuying thread will tell you: we always recommend the general inspection plus at least a sewer inspection, and then multiple other types are warranted depending on age and type of construction and location and some other factors. Your realtor wanted you to not get additional inspections because she wanted to close on the home and get her commission and did not give a gently caress about the long-term consequences to you. This is also why you never use the inspector recommended by your realtor.

Fire your realtor. She's not acting in your interest and now that this house purchase is falling through she's going to be even shittier about everything, I'd guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chadderbox posted:

It's funny how this word will immediately peg someone as being from San Diego since nobody else uses it.

lol i was just thinking wtf is a zonie

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The funny thing is, I've been actively avoiding flips. My wife and I are only visiting homes where the sale records indicate that people were living there at least for a little while before trying to sell it. In this case it was a woman who actually renovated and made her home energy efficient with solar power for her own enjoyment. And then apparently had a heart attack or something and is now in a retirement home. So in theory these renovations were made with love. Like I said, she took out a 30k loan to build all this poo poo.

I cannot believe that when she investigated the home and had it inspected that no one mentioned the foundation to her. The foundation guy literally told my wife and I that we could risk letting it go but even if it did not cause the house to sag before we moved we would not be able to sell the place. It's all moot anyway, the lender my wife and I are using requires a termite Section 1 inspection clearance which this place could not possibly pass with the evident soil to wood contact, so I couldn't buy this place even if I wanted to.

Flip is probably a loaded word. There's a lot of people who have been living in the IE for a long time in their cheap homes and in the past 20 years as the area has become more attractive and as the value of their home has increased they have taken to opportunity to do things they've always wanted to do like build their dream kitchen or install a solar system or whatever. Upgrading their plumbing or fixing their foundation is spending tens of thousands on stuff but your house doesn't really change. I can see why, as long as the house isn't falling down, some people can see it as a "waste".

Realtors make money on how many houses the can sell for the maximum amount of money, two things that in-dept inspections are opposed to.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is there nowhere in California with cheap or even reasonable priced housing?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Of course there is! It's just in places where no one in their right mind would want to live.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
far north california might have something

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not in the 4 main metro areas. That's why I said Fresno. Seriously, Fresno is your best bet without huge prices. And that is probably going to change soon once people realize that it's the last place that is cheap and decent.

Don't let these people get you down on Fresno. It's got its problems, but in terms of pros, it is the best price/benefit place left in the state.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Our neighbors just moved out of the Bay Area to Redding. Bought a house on 3/4 acre for around $400.

It always a wage thing though. Low home prices usually track with low wages.

The one nice thing about high wage high price areas is that you can use it as a catapult to get into places like the above neighbors.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I wanted to move to California, where should I go?

Barstow

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Our neighbors just moved out of the Bay Area to Redding. Bought a house on 3/4 acre for around $400.

It always a wage thing though. Low home prices usually track with low wages.

The one nice thing about high wage high price areas is that you can use it as a catapult to get into places like the above neighbors.

I notice that more times than not, "high priced areas" are code for "foods and other stuff maybe be slightly more expensive, but rent/housing is expensive as all hell."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

punk rebel ecks posted:

Welcome to California. Come here if you have a great job lined up, run like hell if you don't.

If you do have a good job though, it's a fantastic place to live.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dirk the Average posted:

Welcome to California. Come here if you have a great job lined up, run like hell if you don't.

If you do have a good job though, it's a fantastic place to live.

Except for the people. And the hosed up politics.

Though it leans left, there are enough idiots on the right to gently caress it up for everyone while the left fucks it up just as much.

Do you like paying for bags at the grocery store? Welcome to California.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I notice that more times than not, "high priced areas" are code for "foods and other stuff maybe be slightly more expensive, but rent/housing is expensive as all hell."

That’s another nice thing about high cost high wage places. A lot of things are nationally priced. So I’m paying the same price for that iPhone as I would had I bought it Arkansas, but it’s a smaller fraction of my budget here.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

Do you like paying for bags at the grocery store? Welcome to California.

BYOB 😉

Seriously though I forget to put the goddamn bags back in my car like 90% of the time, so I have to buy more when I go to the store. I now have approximately 1,000,000 bags. I think it's more bags than furniture in my apartment by now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

That’s another nice thing about high cost high wage places. A lot of things are nationally priced. So I’m paying the same price for that iPhone as I would had I bought it Arkansas, but it’s a smaller fraction of my budget here.

Don't forget Amazon.

Even then so, just comparing local stores it tends to be similar.

People rant how Portland's so expensive, but if you are willing to get a roommate and pay the same price as your studio at your hometown it's more or less the same cost of living, especially since wages tend to be bumped up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The worst part of that is it is legislated morality which sucks. gently caress liberals. Pretty much no one other than fart sniffing rear end in a top hat libtards like the bag tax.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Haven't you people gone blackberry picking? Just wear an apron that you fill with your groceries like a civilized person.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

The worst part of that is it is legislated morality which sucks. gently caress liberals. Pretty much no one other than fart sniffing rear end in a top hat libtards like the bag tax.

mom is that you?

no one loves the bag ban, but i only see facebook boomers complaining about it. you buy a couple bags that first week and move on with your life.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

It all depends on what your definition of "reasonably priced" is.

If you're coming from some place like Texas, a house for $150k is is normal so they would say anything within 50 miles of a major metro is unaffordable.

But in like Riverside or the IE, where decent 3br houses are $350-400k and you're a 30-45min drive from a good paying job in OC or LA, I would say is still "reasonably priced".