Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

We have a season in the sound this year? Reading regs now.

No, I mean for Westport. Still no bottomfish season in the Sound as far as I know. Maybe when they release the 2018-2019 regs it'll be different, but doubtful.

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Got it, btw! Thing is awesome, can't wait to surprise my buddies. Thanks!

Rad! I hope it serves you well, and please post pics of a dick-lure-hooked fish.

INFORMAL TOKELAND COOZIE VOTE
I'm still waiting on my illustrator, but I'm sorting out the other details. The question is, should I get the thin neoprene kind or the thicker foam kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You guys are making me want to take a fishing trip to Florida. I'm super jealous of your quarry options, none of which are available to me here.

Do it! I am by no means guide-worthy, but I do have two kayaks...but if you're spending the money to get here seek professionals rather than a scrub like me.

Though if I was planning a trip to Florida from the PNW I'd go further south to the Keys. The nature down there - mangroves, flats, coral reefs (esp. if you can scuba dive) - is worth seeing before you die. Maybe plan a day trip to Dry Tortugas National Park, I've never been but I've heard great things.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

No, I mean for Westport. Still no bottomfish season in the Sound as far as I know. Maybe when they release the 2018-2019 regs it'll be different, but doubtful.

Rad! I hope it serves you well, and please post pics of a dick-lure-hooked fish.

I'm still waiting on my illustrator, but I'm sorting out the other details. The question is, should I get the thin neoprene kind or the thicker foam kind?

Hmm. Thin foam are nice and colapseable, work in a cup holder, but the thick ones keep stuff colder longer. What sort of audience are you trying to reach?

If you're just giving them out, I'd go for thin foam. If you're selling them, thick foam.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Saw this in my local fishing forum, this lady caught that (almost) 10 lb bass on powerbait while trout fishing. 4 lb test, size 18 treble, $5 walmart rod.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 9, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Rip that bass though, once they get that big you really need to support their spine when lifting them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Didn’t know they suffered from Snook neck. Good to know.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Danthrax posted:

Do it! I am by no means guide-worthy, but I do have two kayaks...but if you're spending the money to get here seek professionals rather than a scrub like me.

Though if I was planning a trip to Florida from the PNW I'd go further south to the Keys. The nature down there - mangroves, flats, coral reefs (esp. if you can scuba dive) - is worth seeing before you die. Maybe plan a day trip to Dry Tortugas National Park, I've never been but I've heard great things.

I sincerely appreciate this! I know that Florida is large, so if I do it I'd want to give myself enough time to try different spots. I'll certainly be consulting this thread for recommendations if and when I make plans to go, and I'd fish with any of y'all wanted that wanted to show me around. Likewise, if anyone ITT finds themselves in western Washington and wants to get a line wet, hit me up.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hmm. Thin foam are nice and colapseable, work in a cup holder, but the thick ones keep stuff colder longer. What sort of audience are you trying to reach?

If you're just giving them out, I'd go for thin foam. If you're selling them, thick foam.

The audience is this thread. I was going to do a small run for the people who wanted one and take at-cost compensation, so I'm not trying to spin a profit. I might do a second run if they come out really cool, but that's down the road.

joem83 posted:

Saw this in my local fishing forum, this lady caught that (almost) 10 lb bass on powerbait while trout fishing. 4 lb test, size 18 treble, $5 walmart rod.

:aaaaa:

bongwizzard posted:

Rip that bass though, once they get that big you really need to support their spine when lifting them.

May this advice be relevant to us all in the upcoming season! The pickerel from your earlier post doesn't show up for me, though, and I wanna see that fish.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I shouldn't have opened up that fish report (https://sdfish.com/fishing-report/) because it looks like the fishing is good in SD right now. The choicest nugget is that piece at the top where they say that the trout are hitting lures instead of bait this week. I ALMOST talked myself into leaving work, rushing home to grab some trout gear, and trying to get a couple more before the season ends. Alas, I decided to be a responsible adult. SIGH.

My son took an interest in baseball, hopefully his interest wanes and I can reclaim my weekends from the awkwardly scheduled little league practices/games (lol bad parent).

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You're a good dad for going to his games. :)

:siren:ADDITIONAL DICK LURES INBOUND:siren:

I ordered more in case anyone who wanted one missed out. I'll be giving them away again to anybody who will use them to catch fish and subsequently post pics of them in this thread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ugh I need to haul my kayak to the water and go cast one in the sound.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Didn’t know they suffered from Snook neck. Good to know.

From what I have read, it's just an issue with the really big ones, like 5lb and up. What really fucks them all up is holding them by the lip at an angle.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Ugh I need to haul my kayak to the water and go cast one in the sound.

I've still got yours set aside; let me know how and when you'd like me to give it to you. I'm 98% certain that I'm going to the coast next weekend if that makes any difference.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'll take one. It'll be a while before I can use it since I only have fly fishing gear, but I will absolutely post pictures when I do.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

I'll take one. It'll be a while before I can use it since I only have fly fishing gear, but I will absolutely post pictures when I do.

PMed!

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I will absolutely take a dick lure if you're getting more.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Me too!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Get the neoprene kind, they're much more convenient. If you need one with better insulation you're not drinking properly

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I went fishing yesterday and forgot to take the dick lure. I didn't see anything that I could have caught on it but that isn't the point.

The pink thing is a balloon with a big squid suspended under it on wire trace and snelled 10/0 circles :madmax:

I was fishing here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...8!4d145.3632459 and here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...5!4d145.3878365 if anyone is interested

The dick had a bit of an upgrade, although my smallest split rings are still a bit big for it. Those are size 5 Decoy medium gauge split rings (60lb breaking strain lol) and a size 2 Decoy Pluggin Single. Some day I'll find a school of salmon feeding on some small baitfish and I'll have more dickpics for y'all than you can handle

I really need to tidy up my fishing room. I'm in the process of setting up individual tackle bags for each type of fishing I do, with their own pliers, knives, snips, leader, sinkers, lures etc so all I need to do is grab the right bag and a couple of appropriate rods and not have to run around making sure I've packed everything

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

joem83 posted:

:eyepop:

Both the fish and the lady...

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

:eyepop:

Both the fish and the lady...

Just another blonde, they're everywhere here lol. It's raining right now and they cancelled baseball tomorrow, thinking the lake might be empty and the trout wiiiiide open. Just need to get my rear end out of bed early and into the cold wet, lol.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

You're a good dad for going to his games. :)

:siren:ADDITIONAL DICK LURES INBOUND:siren:

I ordered more in case anyone who wanted one missed out. I'll be giving them away again to anybody who will use them to catch fish and subsequently post pics of them in this thread.

I'll take a dick lure, and a coozie if they get made.

TOKELAND.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Skuuuunked hard today. Ouch.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Temps are up this week.

Fun times on the creek. Bunch of 10” browns all over and everywhere.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Skunked my past few times out. Haven't caught since before Christmas :rowdytrout:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I hope these skunkings become increasingly temporary and rare as the weather warms up. I haven't caught a fish in 2018 yet and it's killing me. This weekend I'm going to try to change that, Saturday on the coast for redtails, rockfish, and maybe a lingcod, and Sunday in town for stocked trout and maybe seaperch. I need to justify buying a smoker, drat it.

Also, when the new batch of dick lures arrives there will be five silver ones and five gold ones in it. I'll ask for your preference and a shipping address via PM when they arrive, but not yet.

Nice trout, too! I spooled up my 5/6 fly reel for the first time and I'm going to take it out this weekend. Hopefully I get a nibble, and hopefully my nail knots are good.

gay picnic defence posted:

Huge, excellent post

This is awesome. Your idea about having a tackle bag ready to go for any given fishing situation is a great one, and one I've been passively working toward as well. I have some different kits set up for trout and sea/surf perch, but it still seems like I always forget something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I hope these skunkings become increasingly temporary and rare as the weather warms up. I haven't caught a fish in 2018 yet and it's killing me. This weekend I'm going to try to change that, Saturday on the coast for redtails, rockfish, and maybe a lingcod, and Sunday in town for stocked trout and maybe seaperch. I need to justify buying a smoker, drat it.

Also, when the new batch of dick lures arrives there will be five silver ones and five gold ones in it. I'll ask for your preference and a shipping address via PM when they arrive, but not yet.

Nice trout, too! I spooled up my 5/6 fly reel for the first time and I'm going to take it out this weekend. Hopefully I get a nibble, and hopefully my nail knots are good.

This is awesome. Your idea about having a tackle bag ready to go for any given fishing situation is a great one, and one I've been passively working toward as well. I have some different kits set up for trout and sea/surf perch, but it still seems like I always forget something.

Hey! You cant go on a party boat yet! I got the kids all weekend!!!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Don't worry! There is no boat this time. This is a surf and pier bottomfish scouting day. I'd love to come home with a cooler full of rockfish but I'd be happy catching anything.

I'm planning to fish the incoming tide for redtails around the Westport jetty, but probably not go out on it. Also the public fishing pier there is huge and goes out really far into the water, so jigging off of that might be productive too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sandy bottom won’t hold any rockfish or lings. Need that structure. Piers usually don’t cut it. However small halibut may be pressing in to ambush stuff.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Sandy bottom won’t hold any rockfish or lings. Need that structure. Piers usually don’t cut it. However small halibut may be pressing in to ambush stuff.

Thank you for saving me wasted hours and disappointment. I want to get out on the jetty, but I think that I will be fishing alone and I'm far too much of a jetty novice to feel good about going out solo. I don't even have a long landing net yet, and that seems pretty crucial. Dang, though. I wanted to throw a crab pot off the pier while I fished. I guess the huge fishing boardwalk there is primarily for salmon, then?

Speaking of sandy bottoms, though, I occasionally read that about various sole and (non-halibut) flatfish in the Sound, but I never really hear about anybody fishing for them. I did catch a little guy off the pier at Golden Gardens once, but it was far too small to keep. I wonder if there are any worth the effort to catch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve caught some flounders while squidding in Port Orchard. Decent size guys but I used them for crab bait. I’ve never seen anyone catch anything so big you need a long handled net on a jetty but this was in Santa Cruz. Even strippers were just muscled on to the rocks with a wave. On the piers you just use a circle crab net for a landing net. Always pays to have one. I think the coastal crab season never really ends either.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That's correct, coastal crab season never ends. Sometimes you can wind up taking home a bonus crab when you surf fish for redtails. And I'm probably being overly cautious about the jetty; I should spool up some heavier braided line and stop making excuses. As long as I don't take dumb risks with bad weather, my chances of being washed out to sea are probably not that high.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Throw a trap. You’ll catch red rocks for sure.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I want to get into fishing this year! I've done cast and reel fishing in Appalachian streams a couple of times with a friend and that's about it. It was fun. I caught a smallmouth bass.

My main interests here are 1. getting fish to eat as much as possible, and 2. chilling the gently caress out by a pretty stream or river

Is cast and reel a good type of fishing for a casual fisher to get max catch in a western PA like environment? What should I look for in a used rod/reel?

e: to be more clear my top interest is food, not trophy

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 14, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

alnilam posted:

I want to get into fishing this year! I've done cast and reel fishing in Appalachian streams a couple of times with a friend and that's about it. It was fun. I caught a smallmouth bass.

My main interests here are 1. getting fish to eat as much as possible, and 2. chilling the gently caress out by a pretty stream or river

Is cast and reel a good type of fishing for a casual fisher to get max catch in a western PA like environment? What should I look for in a used rod/reel?

Excellent! It seems like you will have lots of options for different species to go after. Trout is delicious, crappies are good eating, and a couple of posters in this thread slay walleye and fillet up dozens of them. Now you just have to find out which streams and lakes produce the most of them!

- If you're looking for the laziest fishing possible you probably want to fish a Carolina Rig off the bottom of a lake or river hole. Worm and bobber is another classic option that will still catch fish while you sit in a lawn chair drinking beer.

- If you're just getting started, you're probably better off buying a rod & reel combo from a big box store rather than looking for high-end used equipment. I found an excellent Daiwa rod & reel combo for a buddy at my local Fred Meyer for $30 and would recommend that if you could find it. Do not buy a South Bend rod or reel.

- You're probably looking for a rod in the neighborhood of 6' with recommended line weight around 6-14 lbs or so. That will be a good all-purpose freshwater rod to get you started. If the reel comes with line pre-spooled, it will probably be lovely line with lots of coil memory. You may want to strip all that off and spool up some better line, but that's up to you. As long as you avoid South Bend brand rods, reels, and line, you should be okay.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Like describe these jetties you guys are talking about. I scamper around on the ones we have all the time but I suspect they are not getting the same wind/wave attention like you guys are talking about.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

In western PA you should have trouts and smallmouth bass. You can eat both the the trouts will be smaller/harder to catch and the bass are our friends.

Depending on where exactly you are, you might be able to eat catfish, which imho are like the best freshwater fish for eating, both in flavor and how stupid easy it is to catch enough to make a big meal out of. But, catfish suck up any bad poo poo in the water, so like areas with a lot of mining might not be the best, but PA has a p good parks and rec site iirc, they will have any info you need.

For trouts and basses, get a MediumLight power, Fast action spinning rod. Rod pricing is mostly poo poo at the lowest ends. It will work but you are going to miss fish if you can't feel them hit, assuming you wanna use lures, if you just want to use bait then literally get whatever. If you want to spend $100 you can get something that will be good to great. $50 get's you good/acceptable, less is gonna get you a fiberglass whip or a broom handle. For a reel, get a 200 sized Pflueger President, unless you want to spend more than $50. If you spend less then $50, you can get an OK reel but there will be little to no QC involved and troubleshooting can be tough.

For catfishes, get a Medium Heavy power, Mod-Fast or Fast action spinning rod. Do not spend more than $50 and make sure the upper weight range is at least 1-2oz. For a reel, get like a 400 size "anything cheap". If it comes with line, take it all off and buy new line. You can get a nicer reel but catfishing is muddy work and it will be hard to keep a nicer one un-hosed up.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Like describe these jetties you guys are talking about. I scamper around on the ones we have all the time but I suspect they are not getting the same wind/wave attention like you guys are talking about.

Gray's Harbor:

Westport detail (apparently GIMP sucks for making clear labels):

Jetty from the ocean side:

Jetty POV:

The jetty itself is big, but the rocks are large and it's tricky to get down to the water. I haven't fished off of a jetty before so I'm probably making it worse in my head than it actually is. Wind isn't supposed to be bad on Saturday so it seems like a good time to try it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This is the Santa Cruz small boat harbor jetty I spent my teen years at fishing at. I mostly fished the holes in the rocks pulling out gopher rockfish and crabs.

I typically fished the right side because the left got hammered with waves and less access to restrooms.
Also better view of the beach with binoculars....

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, that is what I was thinking of, I guess the ones on the Bay out here don't get very rough as I have never felt in any danger on one, even when it is storming.

I have also like never caught much off of them, but have way way better luck getting in my kayak and fishing them backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I guess it really isn't that great of a danger; I've been overly cautious ever since two women were washed out to sea from the beach on a razor clam dig earlier this year. On the same day, probably by the same wave. That poo poo freaks me out.

What do you catch when you fish jetties on your coast from your kayak? It's good to see you posting, too!