Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

The breach stays open long enough for DeVoe to float his way through (or get dragged). He doesn't have to wait for DeVoe to go into his pocket dimension and close the breach before attempting to go through

I guess they are working on the assumption that DeVoe could use a force field to block access to the portal, but once he's through, both the breach and the force field will turn off. Barry needs to be able to move fast enough to get through a closing breach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Titan posted:

When he was in jail he ran that one guy to China and came back in a few seconds. If I remember right, in the comics Wally evacuates an entire city in a similar situation.

Funny if you think about it - from his own perspective he still had to spend however long it would take to actually walk to China, while carrying a huge man, no less.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Dear god I went to Reddit (yes, I know) and goddamn do those people have an irrational hatred of Iris. Especially in reaction to her being the one who came up with the solution. I should have known but goddamn. Burn the site to the ground.
She's black. Reddit doesn't enjoy sisters doing well.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Q: are we not men?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They need to stop dropping that dumb "we are the flash!" line, but that aside Iris has been really good this season, mainly since she actually has things to do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Iris acting as Play caller and lateral voice of reason is a pretty good role all things considered. It also gives more time for Cavanaugh to direct.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Avalerion posted:

Funny if you think about it - from his own perspective he still had to spend however long it would take to actually walk to China, while carrying a huge man, no less.
I know that the show has never touched on this, but in the comics it's explained that speedsters can focus on their experience if they want to, so that everything is in slow motion for them while they're moving at superspeed, but their minds can also go into a sort of autonomous trance so that they don't actually go through days upon months of running from their perspective.

speed_force.html

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So when Barry searches through a million paper files in a second, is he actually experiencing weeks of boredom? Can't zone out there! I already know the answer and it rhymes with weedhorse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought the first time Barry did the everything freezes thing was in the court room
Nope, he's been doing it since season one. Just not any time it would be particularly useful.

WhyteRyce posted:

Also, Barry has known he can do this time freeze thing for quite awhile but he's having issues being fast enough to reach into Cisco's breach or whatever?
Also whenever he's fighting a bad guy or they're measuring his speed or anything else like that he's much slower.

kjetting posted:

Because both times it has happened so far it has been a desperate subconscious reflex.
Nah, he's done it calmly and intentionally several times. Like in the courtroom this season.

Phenotype posted:

I kinda wish they'd gone all the way with it and made it so Barry and Jesse were essentially powerless in Flash Time, since they're ALREADY moving at ludicrous speed just to walk around and talk to eachother inside that half-second.
The fact that they can go faster still when they're already going so fast that time seems frozen is pretty funny when you remember all the times Barry needed to learn to go faster.

Avalerion posted:

I've been wondering for a while if they'll ever address that.

Argue posted:

So when Barry searches through a million paper files in a second, is he actually experiencing weeks of boredom? Can't zone out there!
Also, when he runs off he makes papers fly around because of his speed, but when he's going so fast that time seems frozen nothing gets displaced at all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rocksicles posted:

She's black. Reddit doesn't enjoy sisters doing well.

What do people dislike about Iris? I mean, I don't doubt you on the race thing, but I also doubt that "she's black" is the reason that most of them are giving out publicly.

She was kind of a wet blanket in the first season or two, but since she's learned the secret and joined the team I've really liked her in terms of characterization, and she usually helps move the plot along instead of standing in the way like before, so...?

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

Phenotype posted:

What do people dislike about Iris? I mean, I don't doubt you on the race thing, but I also doubt that "she's black" is the reason that most of them are giving out publicly.

She was kind of a wet blanket in the first season or two, but since she's learned the secret and joined the team I've really liked her in terms of characterization, and she usually helps move the plot along instead of standing in the way like before, so...?

People think she doesn't "deserve" to be the team leader and think that position should go to more "qualified" people like Cisco or Wells. Reddit in general has a problem with female characters taking assertive roles that threaten the male characters' authority. I remember seeing a Reddit post a few months back praising Wells for "putting her in her place" (where he simply told her that as the leader of Team Flash, she must make tough decisions).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Phenotype posted:

People wanted Iris to die and for Caitlin to be the lead before the pilot even aired. People send Candice racial slurs on Twitter and ridiculous hate mail. Never underestimate white people when it comes to racism.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was a cool episode. I'm fine with Barry over correcting on the "changing time" poo poo even if it didn't totally make sense. He has to cut it off cold turkey. No moving lines for the time fuckery addict. And as has been said, there seems to be a certain amount of Final Destination/karma fuckery into messing with time.

Avalerion posted:

Flash being way too fast aside - yep this ep was good. For those in the known, was dad Flash going to train a replacement a refference to anyone in particular?

The "jittery" girl would be my best guess.

Burning_Monk posted:

Since they named her I assume the Eco Terrorist was someone from the comics?

I remember seeing her casting being reported, but I think it was for Arrow? So maybe she's gonna be a recurring over there and they just had fun working in here first?

Phenotype posted:

Well she's also a woman, and lots of people on the internet hate them too. But "black" is definitely also big.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

The "jittery" girl would be my best guess.

I thought we all agreed that's Barry & Iris's daughter from the future.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Avalerion posted:

Probably, but I'm speculating that she's not from our future but is actually from Earth 3 and is Jay's chosen protege and he's just being coy about not telling Barry and Iris and influencing stuff.

Or something. I have no idea if that makes sense. I don't think we even know anything about Earth 3, do we? But that was just a first guess because I couldn't think of a lady Flash/speedster besides Jesse. But I haven't read in awhile.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Avalerion posted:

There’s nothing that says she can’t be Dawn Allen and Jay’s secret apprentice at the same time. But yeah I doubt it’s her that Jay was talking about.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
In one episode hat woman was writing the same symbols Barry was drawing everywhere after leaving the speedforce.

No idea who she is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Titan posted:

In one episode hat woman was writing the same symbols Barry was drawing everywhere after leaving the speedforce.

No idea who she is.

Again, that's (the person everyone assumes is) Barry and Iris's daughter. She's shown up three times now, once at the wedding before the Nazis attacked in Crisis on Earth-X and then twice during regular Flash when she met Cisco and then Wells and Caitlin at Jitters. So far, crazy Speedforce scribbling aside she's just been the awkward clearly from the future girl. So who knows where they're taking her character.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Avalerion posted:

I remember a Quicksilver comic explaining that he's a jerk because to him everyone is that slow person in line who doesn't move. He has to deliberately slow his speech to a crawl so other people can understand him and does a thousand piece puzzle while waiting for the other person to give a response during the course of normal conversation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Q: are we not men?

A: not lately

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cirus posted:

I remember a Quicksilver comic explaining that he's a jerk because to him everyone is that slow person in line who doesn't move. He has to deliberately slow his speech to a crawl so other people can understand him and does a thousand piece puzzle while waiting for the other person to give a response during the course of normal conversation.

In Young Avengers, Speed (who was the son of the Scarlet Witch) at one point has a job where he does super speed assembly of items. He tells another character that while it looks like he just did everything in two seconds it was two subjective weeks for him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this! posted:

In Young Avengers, Speed (who was the son of the Scarlet Witch) at one point has a job where he does super speed assembly of items. He tells another character that while it looks like he just did everything in two seconds it was two subjective weeks for him.

Is that the same character where they do a training exercise and when they’re done he suddenly has grey hairs and says he hasn’t eaten or slept in a month and that these training exercises are literally killing him?

Because that was messed up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phenotype posted:

What do people dislike about Iris?
I thought the writers didn't use her well for a long time, bringing her into the know instead of making her always be a step behind was a good move.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I just think she's a lovely reporter :shrug:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Iris is basically the Hawkeye of the group. Everyone else has their own drama to deal with while Iris is the most grounded and calm and thus has a clearer grasp on the situation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Iris is basically the Hawkeye of the group. Everyone else has their own drama to deal with while Iris is the most grounded and calm and thus has a clearer grasp on the situation.

For me the scene that solidified who Iris was as a character was during Season 2 when King Shark tears the roof off their house and Wally just freaks the gently caress out while Iris is just "Yep. It's Tuesday again."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Titan posted:

He moves at the speed of plot.

The writers room was the Speed Force Prison all along!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

For me the scene that solidified who Iris was as a character was during Season 2 when King Shark tears the roof off their house and Wally just freaks the gently caress out while Iris is just "Yep. It's Tuesday again."

This, plus punching Girder and shooting Clock King did it for me.

Iris always had these random great character moments, it's just only recently they've allowed her to be her own person and explored who her character really is and can be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest mistake they made early on was keeping Iris away from Team Flash. This meant she was frequently kept separate from the "actual" plot of the episode and had to subsist on subplots.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

I just think she's a lovely reporter :shrug:
The writers don't know what reporting is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FactsAreUseless posted:

Comic book TV shows and movies all took their lead from Jack McGee from The Incredible Hulk

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Dates a superhero. Carries a notebook sometimes. You know. A reporter.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn't know Jack McGee and David Banner were dating.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

The writers room was the Speed Force Prison all along!

That's the horcrux of the problem.

It's not writing if you pull words out of a hat.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

That's the horcrux of the problem.

Is that like a quizibuck of a problem?

Some of Iris's issues got conflated with Felicity's character when the Olicity got REALLY bad and that spillover somehow attached itself to Iris. Part of the problem is that Grant Gustin seems to have crazy chemistry with anyone in a scene.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They turned the happiest man in tights into a loving sad sack.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Nodosaur posted:

I didn't know Jack McGee and David Banner were dating.

You're the only one :ssh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Or literally any other job. Including TV writing.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Having actually written for a newspaper, I was shocked at how realistically the profession was portrayed in Netflix/Marvel's "Daredevil". The reporter dude there was once a brilliant investigative journalist exposing injustice and corruption, but now had to hammer out cheap and fast reports about "thing that happened today" to fill the pages because of time restraints and bad economy. When Matt Murdoch handed him the facts about Kingpin he also couldn't just blow the whole thing right away, because as a journalist he needed credible sources and quotes first, and I don't even think he got to print the story at all. Then I realized my shock was because every other TV show ever has been terrible at writing that profession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

They turned the happiest man in tights into a loving sad sack.

Idk tiny superman still seems to be having a blast over on supergirl :v: