Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

From the No poo poo files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

patonthebach posted:

Woah, thats going a bit far. I might be a bit of a loon when it comes to not think disarmament is the answer, but gently caress if I don't think vaccines are necessary.

I think we should be shooting kids with vaccines with auto rifles if anything.

The anti-vaxxer argument uses outliers (the deaths of a few people who had unpredictable reactions to vaccines) to argue for public policy that results in more deaths overall. Just like the gun nut. And for the same reason: because their primate brain values the illusion of control over the impersonal statistical data, they irrationally believe that having this control over (owning a gun/not vaccinating their kids) makes them safer even though it makes them less safe.

While it might be impossible to convince someone who irrationally holds this belief, since you recognize its irrationality it means that you value the illusion of control over the lives of human beings, you should reconsider these values.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

twodot posted:

I uhh took your numbers and divided them. 61,000 is high enough to care about because there's a limited number of problems at that scale and a limited amount of effort available to spend solving them. There's a ridiculously large number of problems with numbers like 300, and if you attempted to care about all of them you could never succeed. (In terms of crafting federal policy, obviously like a doctor with 300 patients is doing something good even if they aren't personally providing health care to the whole nation)

We were talking about school shootings only to establish that they alone don't qualify, in your estimation, for anything more than easy effort. That's it.

The 61,000 are a problem too. Does that qualify for something beyond "easy?" How much money, how much effort cost?

twodot posted:

I know they work, it's just awkward to openly state "I want to enact policy, people are not being persuaded to enact my policy by factual statistics, therefore I need to trick them into agreeing with my policy". If you get to that stage you should be considering if the other people are right.

It's not deception, friend.

twodot posted:

Yes I think there is broad agreement that prior to a ban being passed there was insufficient forces to pass a ban, and post a ban being passed there were sufficient forces for a ban to be passed.

Would you agree that this shift indicated a belief the harm of widespread asbestos outweighed the utility?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

twodot posted:

"The federal government should spend resources on problems proportionate to the extent that they harm the population" - a monster.

Quantity of dead is not the absolute measurement of harm, or at least, if you're at all empathetic, shouldn't be.

I am harmed by the deaths of others. No one is an island.

We have the ability to basically prevent these school shootings from happening, it wouldn't cost very much at all.

Reducing human suffering to individual statistical analysis is an incomplete, and inhuman, way to calculate what is, and is not "worth it."

You're cool with school shootings, and don't see the big deal, because *numbers.*

Monstrous. You should loving feel bad about that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

We were talking about school shootings only to establish that they alone don't qualify, in your estimation, for anything more than easy effort. That's it.

The 61,000 are a problem too. Does that qualify for something beyond "easy?" How much money, how much effort cost?
I don't know exactly, something similar to what we spend on other 61k class problems, you know like alcohol and car collisions. (Although to be clear, I still don't understand what the 61,000 number represents, so classifying what sort of effort we should spend on a collection of undescribed events is awkward)

quote:

It's not deception, friend.
You've decided that facts will not persuade people to agree with you on policy. You still think your policy is important so you've decided to use things other than facts to persuade people your policy is good. How is this not a trick? If they decide that your policy is good, but they do that on something other than that your policy is factually good, you've have tricked them into thinking it's good.

quote:

Would you agree that this shift indicated a belief the harm of widespread asbestos outweighed the utility?
Seems likely. It would be strange for asbestos bans to not follow people thinking it was net-harmful.
edit:

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Quantity of dead is not the absolute measurement of harm, or at least, if you're at all empathetic, shouldn't be.

We have the ability to basically prevent these school shootings from happening, it wouldn't cost very much at all.

Reducing human suffering to individual statistical analysis is an incomplete, and inhuman, way to calculate what is, and is not "worth it."

You're cool with school shootings, and don't see the big deal, because *numbers.*

On average, I'm expecting all preventable deaths to have approximately the same amount of secondary effects, so number of deaths is still a good proxy for total harm done. (edit: This arguably breaks down with tiny numbers like 300, but that's part of the problem with writing policy to address tiny issues) We're crafting policy here, statistical analysis is the only thing that works.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 9, 2018

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

What is your specific legislation you think would stop mass shooters?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

patonthebach posted:

What is your specific legislation you think would stop mass shooters?
"being able to locate all weapons somehow"

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

patonthebach posted:

Yes yes and yes. Happy to hear that?

Happy? God no, that's horrible. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Do you recall how I was saying there was no philosophical discussion to be had just people saying other people's value systems are bad?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

If you had to be in a car crash would you rather be in the F-150 or the corolla?

I'm honest when I say I care about my own life more than others. Im impressed with your selflessness.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

patonthebach posted:

Yes yes and yes. Happy to hear that?

I'd rather drive a truck and have a higher chance of the other person in the car dying in a crash then me dying. Is that selfish in itself? Yup

I'd rather drive a car in the city than take a bike. I know that means someone on a bike that gets into a crash with me is more likely to die than I am. I prefer that over the alternative.

Holy poo poo.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

patonthebach posted:

If you had to be in a car crash would you rather be in the F-150 or the corolla?
which of those move at the speed of sound? neither?
oh right it's just 'patonmybach makes a dumbshit bad faith argument v.251531252134'

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Isn't it a hallmark of conservative voters that they view life as a zero sum game? Where one side winning must mean that the other side loses, therefore if there must be a winner it should be me?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Elizabethan Error posted:

"being able to locate all weapons somehow"

I'm not sure what this even means. What legislation do you propose to stop mass shooters?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

patonthebach posted:

I'm not sure what this even means. What legislation do you propose to stop mass shooters?

Confiscate and melt all guns.

Failing that, just melt only your guns.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

patonthebach posted:

something that enables all guns to be tracked by the relevant law enforcement agencies.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Isn't it a hallmark of conservative voters that they view life as a zero sum game? Where one side winning must mean that the other side loses, therefore if there must be a winner it should be me?

There's no way to explain it other than conservatives are willing to express their sociopathy through the causes and candidates they support and sometimes they just spell it the gently caress out for everyone in a horrible post.

e:

That's My President.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

twodot posted:

I don't know exactly, something similar to what we spend on other 61k class problems, you know like alcohol and car collisions. (Although to be clear, I still don't understand what the 61,000 number represents, so classifying what sort of effort we should spend on a collection of undescribed events is awkward)

Is there nothing that differentiates, in your mind, school shootings and let's say, automobile deaths? These things are isomorphic enough represent a difference without distinction? Absolutely nothing???

twodot posted:

You've decided that facts will not persuade people to agree with you on policy. You still think your policy is important so you've decided to use things other than facts to persuade people your policy is good. How is this not a trick? If they decide that your policy is good, but they do that on something other than that your policy is factually good, you've have tricked them into thinking it's good.

Facts alone, no. We can look at fact, numbers and data are important. But if we don't have a baseline agreement about the Should and the Ought aspects of our moral valuations then facts aren't poo poo.

What I'm saying is, value systems in humans are inherently emotional, the impetus for action is ultimately emotional too - and it's important to acknowledge and incorporate this into the discussion. I don't see why that's so objectionable... unless you're a sociopathic quant.

twodot posted:

Seems likely. It would be strange for asbestos bans to not follow people thinking it was net-harmful.

In your estimation, is the current distribution and regulatory structure of guns net harmful?

twodot posted:

On average, I'm expecting all preventable deaths to have approximately the same amount of secondary effects, so number of deaths is still a good proxy for total harm done. (edit: This arguably breaks down with tiny numbers like 300, but that's part of the problem with writing policy to address tiny issues) We're crafting policy here, statistical analysis is the only thing that works.

Stats, numbers, math, science and reason are the most effective way of implementing a given policy, a policy which has a given intent / aim / desired outcome.

There are many valid non-quantifiable things which can ultimately inform the values that dictate the given intent, aim and outcome. That's the point.

twodot posted:

Do you recall how I was saying there was no philosophical discussion to be had just people saying other people's value systems are bad?

That post was not an argument or attempt to be persuasive. It was an expression of emotion, a reaction. You know. Human poo poo.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

something that enables all guns to be tracked by the relevant law enforcement agencies.

I still don't get what that has to do with stopping mass shooters.

Looks like the Florida gun bill is getting passed.

Age 18 raising to 21 for gun purchases. More power for police to confiscate guns from people in mental health crisis. Funding for armed teachers. Banning bump fire stocks.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/us/florida-gov-scott-gun-bill/index.html

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

In a excellent example of gun control passing a bill almost guaranteed to increase school shootings.

It'll make the olds feel better though

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

patonthebach posted:

I still don't get what that has to do with stopping mass shooters.
sorry about your ignorance? 80% of mass shootings over the past 3 decades have been perpetrated with legally obtained firearms. being able to prevent mentally ill people buying weapons would be a natural outgrowth of such a system.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

patonthebach posted:

sorry, which car is your demonstrably delusional self-defense fantasy in this car analogy?

patonthebach posted:

I'm honest when I say I care about my own life more than others. Im impressed with your selflessness.

Not your *life*, your admittedly incorrect feeling of increased safety.

You value your toy more than their life. Gross.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

sorry about your ignorance? 80% of mass shootings over the past 3 decades have been perpetrated with legally obtained firearms. being able to prevent mentally ill people buying weapons would be a natural outgrowth of such a system.

Thats good. I think comprehensive background checks should be occurring and homeowners have a responsibility to keep the firearms secure from their family. The Sutherland Springs shooter shouldn't have been able to purchase a firearm if already in place laws were properly followed as he has a domestic violence record. Many of the mass shooters in the past few years exhibiting several warnings signs of violence or obsession with other mass shooters. Hell, look at how many tips the FBI got before the Florida shooter and the FBI totally dropped the ball.

Im glad you agree mental illness is a key factor in mass shootings. The GBS thread thought that was an incendiary statement.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In a excellent example of gun control passing a bill almost guaranteed to increase school shootings.

It'll make the olds feel better though

Well a few of the ideas are good, but yeah one of the teachers is going to get their gun taken away from them, or a teacher will go postal.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

patonthebach posted:

Well a few of the ideas are good, but yeah one of the teachers is going to get their gun taken away from them, or a teacher will go postal.
In before the first time a teacher leaves his gun in the shitter. A thing cops do all the loving time.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

sorry, which car is your demonstrably delusional self-defense fantasy in this car analogy?

Not your *life*, your admittedly incorrect feeling of increased safety.

You value your toy more than their life. Gross.

I realize I'm just torpeding actual discussion on current events in this thread with analogies so I'll stop. My point was that many people will take risks to help protect their own life without giving another persons life as much credit.

You feel safer in a truck because its more likely you will live in a crash, the other side of that is if the crash involves a car they have a higher chance of dying. Most people if given the choice would choose their own life and their families lives over another persons.

And it looks like there is an active shooter situation right now at a VA old folks home.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The Republicans!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

patonthebach posted:

I realize I'm just torpeding actual discussion on current events in this thread with analogies so I'll stop. My point was that many people will take risks to help protect their own life without giving another persons life as much credit.

You feel safer in a truck because its more likely you will live in a crash, the other side of that is if the crash involves a car they have a higher chance of dying. Most people if given the choice would choose their own life and their families lives over another persons.

This is not a good analogy for guns, because owning a gun makes you more likely to be injured or die, not less

E: actually nevermind it's a perfect analogy because despite the illusion of safety trucks are actually more dangerous to the driver than cars :downs:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 9, 2018

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Is there nothing that differentiates, in your mind, school shootings and let's say, automobile deaths? These things are isomorphic enough represent a difference without distinction? Absolutely nothing???
They're very different things with different causes so if we wanted to reduce them we'd use different strategies. Empirically, school shootings causes a lot less harm than automobile deaths, so it would be foolish to prioritize school shootings over automobile deaths. (edit: Unless, of course, you were reasonably confident that preventing automobile deaths were significantly harder than school shootings)

quote:

Facts alone, no. We can look at fact, numbers and data are important. But if we don't have a baseline agreement about the Should and the Ought aspects of our moral valuations then facts aren't poo poo.

What I'm saying is, value systems in humans are inherently emotional, the impetus for action is ultimately emotional too - and it's important to acknowledge and incorporate this into the discussion. I don't see why that's so objectionable... unless you're a sociopathic quant.
Maybe you could just describe the non-fact thing you plan to use to persuade people on policy decisions, and I can decide what my objection looks like.

quote:

In your estimation, is the current distribution and regulatory structure of guns net harmful?
Strange question. Do guns cause more harm than they prevent? Seems like the answer has to be yes? I can't imagine the mere existence of guns is preventing harm anywhere close to the amount of harm they create through use. I guess maybe if you thought the police were a force for good, you could make that argument, but it seems thin.

quote:

Stats, numbers, math, science and reason are the most effective way of implementing a given policy, a policy which has a given intent / aim / desired outcome.

There are many valid non-quantifiable things which can ultimately inform the values that dictate the given intent, aim and outcome. That's the point.
A buh? You said total deaths weren't a measure of total harm. I replied that statistically total deaths is a great proxy for total harm, since we can reasonably assume secondary effects average out over large groups. Now you're giving me tautologies like "people can consider non-quantifiable factors when making decisions" like, yeah, obviously, what's that have to do with anything?

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 9, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

The Republicans!
Yup.

Though our dumbshit Democrats were onboard as well. But what do you expect from a state where the former Republican governor is now a Democrat congressman.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yup.

Though our dumbshit Democrats were onboard as well. But what do you expect from a state where the former Republican governor is now a Democrat congressman.

I suspect that putting more guns in schools was something Republicans insisted on, and Democrats had to take it or leave it, so electing more Democrats will mean less stupid policy but idk Florida is a weird place.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

This is not a good analogy for guns, because owning a gun makes you more likely to be injured or die, not less

E: actually nevermind it's a perfect analogy because despite the illusion of safety trucks are actually more dangerous to the driver than cars :downs:

Thats actually my specific point. Trucks become a specific hazard for all other drivers because their centre of gravity is so high and they just basically crush any commuter cars. Two cars crashing ends up pretty safe most of the time. A truck vs a car is a death sentence.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...atal-collisions

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 9, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

I suspect that putting more guns in schools was something Republicans insisted on, and Democrats had to take it or leave it, so electing more Democrats will mean less stupid policy but idk Florida is a weird place.
This is a perfect example of the "compromise" liberals love to crank themselves off over. Compromised so good they definitely just made things worse.

There is absolutely no excuse for this poo poo.

GG FL Dems.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is a perfect example of the "compromise" liberals love to crank themselves off over. Compromised so good they definitely just made things worse.

GG FL Dems.

Republicans control the entire government.

Dems are poo poo, but blaming them for things Republicans put in a bill is dumb

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Republicans control the entire government.

Dems are poo poo, but blaming them for things Republicans put in a bill is dumb
I can and will blame then for voting for more guns in schools.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

GG FL Dems.

Ah yes, noted Florida Democratic Governor Rick Scott, who signed this bill. What a fuckup. Bad job, Dems, picking Rick Scott to run for governor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

patonthebach posted:

Thats actually my specific point. Trucks become a specific hazard for all other drivers because their centre of gravity is so high and they just basically crush any commuter cars. Two cars crashing ends up pretty safe most of the time. A truck vs a car is a death sentence.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...atal-collisions

Even if trucks are safer for the truck-driver (the data I'm finding are mixed because trucks are more likely to roll), it's not a good analogy for guns because owning a gun makes you, you personally, less safe. It is not safer for you and less safe for everyone else, owning a gun is less safe for you than not owning one on average.

Even if what you're saying were right, which it isn't, why would you support public policy that makes everyone less safe that's dumb and bad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I can and will blame then for voting for more guns in schools.

OK well enjoy being ruled by the Republicans who insisted on this thing you hate!

VVV
fair enough

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

OK well enjoy being ruled by the Republicans who insisted on this thing you hate!
I'll just keep trying to primary the real scum, same as anyone.

• Locked thread