Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I've been using Steelseries Arctis 7s, served me well so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Motherfucker, I was playing Nier Automata and I was at the prologue boss fight with the two spiny wheel of death things, and both hit me at basically the same time so the auto recover didn’t kick in and I died. I’m gonna have to play the whole prologue again, aren’t I?

Prologue is designed to be done in 15 minutes, you don't need to play it on easy. Spam dodge, works like a charm.

That prologue is so awesome I've probably played it north of 25 times.

Samuringa posted:

Rayman Legends is on a flash sale at the PSN, it's the best Rayman and it has all of Origins levels in it.

It has SOME of the Origins levels, but it remixes a lot of them, too. I found Origins to be the better platformer, even though Legends obviously had a higher budget. There's no replacement for Land of the Livid Dead, or some of those final Origins levels where the platforming challenge was more like Celeste than Rayman.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 9, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DS2 DLC is fantastic. Just avoid the coop areas and you'll be fine. :v:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

poptart_fairy posted:

DS2 DLC is fantastic. Just avoid the coop areas and you'll be fine. :v:

I specifically remember this being the only one I enjoyed PvP on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Can you honestly tell me the shmup segments were quality? Did the hacking sections not get old? Was the enemy selection not dire? Was the map not tiny, bland and lifeless and boring to explore? Is it hard to understand why redoing poo poo sometimes 3+ times with virtually no change is boring for some people?

Ban this sick filth.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

veni veni veni posted:

They just completely redesigned the golds

They no longer fall apart of you glance at them wrong? I liked the way they sounds and feel, good battery life, but that headband was atrocious. Now the pads are falling apart.

Noctone posted:

I've been using Steelseries Arctis 7s, served me well so far.

I've heard good things about the Steelseries as long as you don't need support.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

but I really don't get why everyone acts like it's perfect.

Because it is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

poptart_fairy posted:

The Echo scenes are great for tiny details. Name tags lining up with people you've met, little things hinting at details of their lives, etc. Especially good one where a riot has broken out due to someone gunning down an aid worker; tons of the civilians have names and their own little fights going on, but there's no sign of a gun on any of them...except for one rogue Division agent sneaking through a door, weapon in his hands.

yeah. the game is genuinly good and pretty nauanced. it makes me kinda sad that alot of sites/critics went full broad brush with it because they played for 10 min and it had the tom Clancy title. its people looking for poo poo to poo poo on.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
To be fair, the Division was pretty poo poo at launch.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I started the C ending in Nier:A last night and bounced off hard. The RPG elements subtract so much from the game and add nothing. I love doing no damage because I skipped the bland combat and didn't grind all of the possible side quests in the previous two endings. The B ending could have been condensed into an hour instead of 10 or whatever.

Honestly, I might have given up already if the soundtrack wasn't so stellar. Maybe it's the number of RPGs and anime that I have seen or whatever, but existentialism is a fairly hackneyed topic, and it does nothing for me. I'm really hoping the C ending flies off the rails as much as this thread claims.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Coughing Hobo posted:

To be fair, the Division was pretty poo poo at launch.

oh yeah. it wasnt the worst, but it was janky and broke as gently caress for a good few months.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you hate having to replay part of the game in nier automata, never play any of the yoko taro games that were released before it because they are waaaaaaay worse about that

I was actually impressed that you only had to do it one time :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Escobarbarian posted:

Rayman Legends is so good

Bloodborne doesn’t have a jump button 2/10

I was in Old Yharnam before I even realized I could.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

I started the C ending in Nier:A last night and bounced off hard. The RPG elements subtract so much from the game and add nothing. I love doing no damage because I skipped the bland combat and didn't grind all of the possible side quests in the previous two endings. The B ending could have been condensed into an hour instead of 10 or whatever.

Honestly, I might have given up already if the soundtrack wasn't so stellar. Maybe it's the number of RPGs and anime that I have seen or whatever, but existentialism is a fairly hackneyed topic, and it does nothing for me. I'm really hoping the C ending flies off the rails as much as this thread claims.

It's more existential horror, to be fair.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

I do understand why people like Nier:A so much, and I even thought it was enjoyable, despite the laundry list of stuff I didn't like about it, but since people here always seem to be offended at the idea that it was less than perfect I have a couple of questions.

I agree with you that the replaying a decent stretch 1:1 wasn’t a good idea so I can’t see how I called it perfect.

veni veni veni posted:

Can you honestly tell me the shmup segments were quality? Did the hacking sections not get old? Was the enemy selection not dire? Was the map not tiny, bland and lifeless and boring to explore? Is it hard to understand why redoing poo poo sometimes 3+ times with virtually no change is boring for some people?
the first two were great yeah the map was eh but it ultimately didn’t matter as it wasn’t an open world game.

veni veni veni posted:

I realize I'm only listing the games negatives there, and there is plenty of good stuff in it, but I thought it was an absolute slog to get though from a gameplay standpoint. It's still probably worth playing just for it's general weirdness, originality, and the incredible soundtrack, but I really don't get why everyone acts like it's perfect. It's a very clunky game in a lot of ways that gets really repetitive, and a lot of it's gameplay doesn't feel fully fleshed out at all.

The gameplay is really good with a couple of faults but nothing huge is the main reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I legitimately enjoyed the gameplay/combat of nier automata. it could have done with more enemy variety tho and gating parts of the moveset the way they did was a bad idea

fruit on the bottom posted:

I was in Old Yharnam before I even realized I could.

the souls games have always had a pretty awkward jumping mechanic, it's true

also animations are tied to the framerate so 60 fps jumps were way harder in the pc port of dark souls 1 and I wonder if that'll still be true in the ps4/switch versions

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The part of Nier Automata that almost broke me was near the beginning of Route C when 2B starts to overheat, I fell down that giant pit in the center of the map and the damaged animation would play too frequently to actually let me climb the ladder, but I spent like fifteen minutes trying my damndest. Then on my second attempt I hoped to fast-track it by leaving animal bait out and riding a boar or something to not have to endure the tedious walk around the map (and that one guy is right, the maps in Nier A are pretty terrible), but the damaged animation threw off the timing just enough that the animal would finish the bait and walk away before you could mount him, and by the time I knew it was fruitless I died like fifteen feet from the bridge and had to it all a third time.

I also hated 9S's section originally but once I started treating the hacking more like a puzzle to blow up groups instead of just trying to brute-force it like I was playing as 2B it helped. I also didn't realize it right away but the hacking music is just a MIDI version of whatever song was already playing in the normal game and that was such a delight I kept just pushing forward to hear more of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I agree with you that the replaying a decent stretch 1:1 wasn’t a good idea so I can’t see how I called it perfect.
the first two were great yeah the map was eh but it ultimately didn’t matter as it wasn’t an open world game.

The comment about it being perfect wasn’t aimed directly towards you, more the thread in general.

I guess I just feel like I’d have enjoyed it a lot more if the shmup segments felt like a real game and not a novelty where you kill the same enemy 50 thousand times, and if the map was generally just more enjoyable to explore. The combat itself is fine but it got boring quickly because of the lack of variety. Just felt like it could have been a much better game to me.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Wolfsheim posted:

I also didn't realize it right away but the hacking music is just a MIDI version of whatever song was already playing in the normal game and that was such a delight I kept just pushing forward to hear more of it.

This is one of many reasons the soundtrack is genius

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I do understand why people like Nier:A so much, and I even thought it was enjoyable, despite the laundry list of stuff I didn't like about it, but since people here always seem to be offended at the idea that it was less than perfect I have a couple of questions.

I realize I'm only listing the games negatives there, and there is plenty of good stuff in it, but I thought it was an absolute slog to get though from a gameplay standpoint. It's still probably worth playing just for it's general weirdness, originality, and the incredible soundtrack, but I really don't get why everyone acts like it's perfect. It's a very clunky game in a lot of ways that gets really repetitive, and a lot of it's gameplay doesn't feel fully fleshed out at all.

Gonna cyber bully you so hard in pm's rn

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

The part of Nier Automata that almost broke me was near the beginning of Route C when 2B starts to overheat, I fell down that giant pit in the center of the map and the damaged animation would play too frequently to actually let me climb the ladder, but I spent like fifteen minutes trying my damndest. Then on my second attempt I hoped to fast-track it by leaving animal bait out and riding a boar or something to not have to endure the tedious walk around the map (and that one guy is right, the maps in Nier A are pretty terrible), but the damaged animation threw off the timing just enough that the animal would finish the bait and walk away before you could mount him, and by the time I knew it was fruitless I died like fifteen feet from the bridge and had to it all a third time.

I did the same thing and it sucked so hard. still did it in the first try, thank god, but it was close. like under 5 seconds close

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Gonna cyber bully you so hard in pm's rn

This is the hill I’ve chosen to die on and no amount of cyber bullying will change my mind lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

El Jebus posted:

They no longer fall apart of you glance at them wrong? I liked the way they sounds and feel, good battery life, but that headband was atrocious. Now the pads are falling apart.

That’s a good question. The box advertises “sturdy new design” but I wouldn’t be shopping for a new headset in the first place if my last pair of golds wasn’t held together by duct tape and a bent ruler, so I’m not sure I want to give them my $$$ again.

I really like them other than the lovely headband though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i just wish i could find a headset that didn't cause me considerable pain when i have my glasses on

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

i just wish i could find a headset that didn't cause me considerable pain when i have my glasses on

lovely earbuds

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

El Jebus posted:

Tell me about your PS4 compatible headsets. I’m losing the final strands of tape and plastic holding my Sony Golds together and I need something new. I don’t think I’ve got $300 for A50s, probably something closer to $100-150. Anyone have the Turtle Beach Stealth 600 or 700?

HyperX recently released a wireless headset, the Cloud Flight, and I've owned them for about a week and am enjoying them so far. Super comfortable, solid sound quality (it's stereo not surround, but their stereo sounds a lot better than other "surround" headsets I've tried), and some insane 30 hour battery life. Only annoying downsides for me are the LEDs are on by default and they contribute to battery drain, so you have to click 2 buttons every time you turn on the headset to turn the lights off, and my old headset had separate volume wheels for game and voice chat, which were a really nice benefit I had gotten used to, and the Flight only has the one wheel so you might have to fiddle with on-screen volume controls once in a while.

Otherwise, recommended.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It's rather annoying that the PS4 won't accept standard wireless BT headphones and has no audio jack, since the audio quality from the gamepads is trash. I'm playing DJMax now and it's extremely noticeable.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I did the same thing and it sucked so hard. still did it in the first try, thank god, but it was close. like under 5 seconds close

The timer artificially shortens to give you an idea of a close call :ms:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've needed a new headset for a while. I went whole hog and got the $300 Astros and the right speaker was bad. Returned them. Just picked up a pair of Golds. I'll give em a shot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My free earbud mic finally broke so I guess I'll get that Gold.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

RBA Starblade posted:

My free earbud mic finally broke so I guess I'll get that Gold.

If you want to save some time and a couple bucks, Amazon has them for $93 and most stores will price match.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

I loved the game, but that part was incredibly frustrating. One time I did what you did – only I made it to the top of the ladder but couldn't climb up the pipe.

Another time I got knocked off a ledge by robots and dogpiled so bad that my healing chips weren't worth poo poo.

I get what they were going for thematically and I liked all the cool distortion effects, but I think they should have let you move and jump normally in the interest of playability.

To a larger point, I never felt like any of my deaths in the game were "earned". I'd get stunlocked by projectiles before I knew what was happening (despite having the iframe chip) or get one shot by a dumb melee attack or something. It was like you were either full health/healing or dead with no in between.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you want to save some time and a couple bucks, Amazon has them for $93 and most stores will price match.

Thanks for the tip!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You could have gone around the other way

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yo, questions. I'm a 1080p tv user. Does the new supersampling option only work on non pro-supported games? And is it worth leaving on or does it cause performance issues?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samuringa posted:

The timer artificially shortens to give you an idea of a close call :ms:

I was in the hole for over half the time. it's noticeable when it does what you say and let me tell you, I was really close to not even making it to that point

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

man nurse posted:

Yo, questions. I'm a 1080p tv user. Does the new supersampling option only work on non pro-supported games? And is it worth leaving on or does it cause performance issues?

Actually, it's the opposite. It only works on Pro-supported games that have a higher res mode that's only selectable if it detects you have a 4k tv. Basically it tricks games into thinking your tv is 4k and unlocks their 4k mode.

Leaving it on could affect performance if the game has been shown to run slower in its 4k mode.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

qbert posted:

Actually, it's the opposite. It only works on Pro-supported games that have a higher res mode that's only selectable if it detects you have a 4k tv. Basically it tricks games into thinking your tv is 4k and unlocks their 4k mode.

Leaving it on could affect performance if the game has been shown to run slower in its 4k mode.

Weird. So for example, Shadow of the Colossus lets you pick performance or resolution. I'm assuming therefore that the supersampling option would have no effect on that game? Or would it supersample even when on performance mode?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

man nurse posted:

Weird. So for example, Shadow of the Colossus lets you pick performance or resolution. I'm assuming therefore that the supersampling option would have no effect on that game? Or would it supersample even when on performance mode?

I think for that game it would have no effect, because even 4k tvs running Performance Mode are getting 1080p, cause that's what Performance Mode is designed to do. Some games already do their own supersampling so this new mode should have no effect on them. Just for games that lock out Resolution mode or 4k auto-detect from 1080p displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m really enjoying Nier. The combat rules and I haven’t died yet on normal so that’s cool. Only a few hours in but I’m really glad I bought this. I wish I looked like 2B irl.