Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pokemon games even back in the GB days had about 3-4 years development time, so yeah, they've probably been at the Switch game for a while. 2019 is gonna be about right, but we won't know for sure until E3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is it possible they split the team so part of it worked on USUM and the other part worked on the Switch one?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What gimmick are we predicting for gen 8? Omega Breeding, Stellar Trainers, Amazo-Abilities, Overdrive EVs?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Cosmic type

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
With the power of the Nintendo Switch, GF can finally stop being coy about where pokemon come from and show full penetration and variable gestation periods like they've always wanted

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

CascadeBeta posted:

Is it possible they split the team so part of it worked on USUM and the other part worked on the Switch one?

It was definitely a "B-Team" who developed USUM. In my head it's the usual B-Team that did ORAS, B2W2, HGSS, etc, but I think I read that it was actually a new team mostly composed by new programmers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"Switch Type", which isn't actually a type but is an item you can use in battle like a mega-stone that changes a pokemon's properties based on its type

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eox posted:

What gimmick are we predicting for gen 8? Omega Breeding, Stellar Trainers, Amazo-Abilities, Overdrive EVs?

pokemon fusion... finally...

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A rotom car that you ride around in

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Huge, gorgeous vistas filled with pokemon and NPCs going about their business in real time..... But upon entering a battle, you are forced into tablet mode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Without a touch screen, the only way to select attacks will now be
[ CONNECT LEFT JOYCON - CONNECT RIGHT JOY CON
CONNECT BOTH JOYCON - DOCK]

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Protect is now a regular menu item usable by all pokemon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rotom-Toilet

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Countblanc posted:

Rotom-Toilet

Electric/poison

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

pokemon fusion... finally...

its this

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
We finally get to play through the story of Re:Burst.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm really liking the whole thing with regional variants that they started with this game, and I'm hoping that continues. It seems to fit better and offer more possibilities than Mega Evolutions, which I almost forgot about until I ran into a couple doing Battle Royales last night.

Also I'm so bad at the battle royales it took, like, five of them for me to finally understand:

1. They end when the first participant loses all of their Pokemon.
2. The winner is whoever has the most KOs when the match ends.

Ended my last one by OHKO'ing an Incineroar with my whole team alive, did just as badly or worse than the matches where I got wiped out first, and it finally clicked. Also I'm thinking my underdog team of five fast, fragile Pokémon and a Throh are proooobably not going to cut it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rollersnake posted:

I'm really liking the whole thing with regional variants that they started with this game, and I'm hoping that continues. It seems to fit better and offer more possibilities than Mega Evolutions, which I almost forgot about until I ran into a couple doing Battle Royales last night.

Also I'm so bad at the battle royales it took, like, five of them for me to finally understand:

1. They end when the first participant loses all of their Pokemon.
2. The winner is whoever has the most KOs when the match ends.

Ended my last one by OHKO'ing an Incineroar with my whole team alive, did just as badly or worse than the matches where I got wiped out first, and it finally clicked. Also I'm thinking my underdog team of five fast, fragile Pokémon and a Throh are proooobably not going to cut it.

Battle Royals are hosed. I was reading up on them because I found them so much harder to win in USUM, and discovered that the number in the boxing glove has to do with the likelihood you'll be attacked, or some poo poo like that, and that getting first kill makes the computer decide you must be destroyed immediately no matter how much easier they could faint one of the other computer Pokemon. Anyway since the only reason to give a poo poo about them is to get the ribbon on whichever Pokemons you want to have all the pretty ribbons, I just brute-forced by way through until I finally won despite the computer doing its best to gently caress me. Took me like 30 tries to win Hyper rank with M-Lucario, Cockroach Girl, and Needle Butt Dragon, and then I destroyed Master rank on my first try.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It seems like the best Pokemon to have in a Battle Royale would be resilient, slow, with attacks that hit everybody.

Crookodile with Intimidate almost worked, but it would end up using Bulldoze before anyone acted, killing no one, and the slower, weakened opponent Pokemon would rack up the kills. On the rounds where everybody else didn't open with birds, seemingly just to spite me.

Poison Gas + Venoshock with Corrosion also seems like it would be very effective, if Salazzle didn't die if you so much as look at it disapprovingly.

And I love my Sleep Talking Throh, but Taunt completely shuts him down.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 10, 2018

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Eox posted:

Reverse Bottle Caps

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rollersnake posted:

It seems like the best Pokemon to have in a Battle Royale would be resilient, slow, with attacks that hit everybody.

Crookodile with Intimidate almost worked, but it would end up using Bulldoze before anyone acted, killing no one, and the slower, weakened opponent Pokemon would rack up the kills. On the rounds where everybody else didn't open with birds, seemingly just to spite me.

Poison Gas + Venoshock with Corrosion also seems like it would be very effective, if Salazzle didn't die if you so much as look at it disapprovingly.

And I love my Sleep Talking Throh, but Taunt completely shuts him down.

You want something slow and resilient with a priority attack, giving you the option to snipe a kill at the start of the round or picking one off at the end.

Alolan Muk and Aegislash are fantastic.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I guess I'll try Alola Muk because it looks cool and I already have a good name for one. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like my only option for a priority move is to breed Shadow Sneak onto it, but I like a project.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oddium posted:

liquid voice turns all of primarina's sound bytes into bbbbbbrotha !! and snake !!

oddium posted:

did you like my choice specs ??

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Didn't Gamefreak mention in one of their directs that Sun and Moon were developed by newer staff as a way to switch things up? Though admittedly I could be misremembering and it was just a new director. If the former is the case wouldn't it make XY the last games that A team worked on? Therefore a 2018 is fairly likely without being rushed.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
God I hope it's the XY team working on the Switch game. Aside from the interminable tutorial intro (which seem to be a series staple at this point), it's still the best game in the series IMO.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Lmao what? XY was the most forgettable game in the franchise

rlloyd3
Feb 3, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

That's Gen 5, followed by Gen 4. Fight me nerd.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Scrap Dragon posted:

This person gets it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

rlloyd3 posted:

This is the opposite of truth

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chill Penguin posted:

God I hope it's the XY team working on the Switch game. Aside from the interminable tutorial intro (which seem to be a series staple at this point), it's still the best game in the series IMO.

Man I sure love all these barely detailed set pieces the game does nothing with and this wonderful cast of characters with barely any personality even for a pokemon game!

Just look at the cast of Gen 6! Comparing them to Gen 5's rivals and leaders or the Trial Captains and Guzma it's....embarrassing how by-the-numbers gen 6 was. Like you had 4 potential rivals in gen 6 and none of them have the arc or a fraction of the personality of Bianca and Cheren and they felt less like people or your friends then they did. Don't even get me started on the champion. Miss "Not Appearing in this Video Game"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
6 had an amazing soundtrack, lots of good mons, and a great world. The story was boring but the story is always boring, it was just among the most boring.

2 is still the worst.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

6 had an amazing soundtrack, lots of good mons, and a great world. The story was boring but the story is always boring, it was just among the most boring.

2 is still the worst.

No you're right 2 is borderline unplayable, I'd just rank 6 down there with it. Probably right after gen 1.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

6 had an amazing soundtrack, lots of good mons, and a great world.

:yeah:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The world of Gen 6 was lame. The straight up battles? top tier. Every route felt designed with the trainers in mind, and the level curve is excellent if you can manage the exp share properly. Sucks that every single boss and miniboss are complete jokes, except for two mega evolved Pokemon during the entire story.

Gen 7 has too many cutscenes, everything else is an improvement.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
XY's story and world are just ok. Kinda bland and bare bones. Nothing impressive but nothing too bad either. Being sandwiched between BW and SM though doesn't do it any favors.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 10, 2018

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

rlloyd3 posted:

Gen 4 was a garbage gen saved by a pedometer and a third edition that was so much better than it's siblings only by contrasst.

E: that was also the gen that got me back into Pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gen 6 was a massive step back in every way from Gen 5 and if the XY team are doing Gen 8 it's gonna be way worse dropping from USUM to it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

xy had one of the best selections of pokemon in the series but it was pretty light on content. the post game might as well not have existed

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

xy had one of the best selections of pokemon in the series but it was pretty light on content. the post game might as well not have existed

The vast majority of players don’t touch it and it’s a stepping stone to the Battle houses for the ones that do so they decided not to bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Pokémon selection in XY was solid, the soundtrack was incredible, battling was fun. It's honestly baffling to me the hostility from some Pokémon superfans, for me it was easily the best one I'd played and the only one I enjoyed enough to put 200 hours into it.