Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

There Bias Two posted:

Who knew Antarctica was...so drat dusty?

That was probably one of the most wholesome things I've ever watched.

I think it's safe to say that Yuzuki has resumed having The Best Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Only happy things happened in this episode, and yet it still got me to tear up. What the heck? What the heck, why is this show so good? Goodness me.

Edit: The penguin in this clip is a new episode of A Place Further than the Universe and Shirase is me: https://gfycat.com/ShrillHonorableEarwig

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 7, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, interestingly enough

On the list at the end of the episode, Shirase doesn't have a spot on it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm not crying you're crying. :cry:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

iospace posted:

Also, interestingly enough

On the list at the end of the episode, Shirase doesn't have a spot on it.

Ooh, that makes sense. I had been wondering why they chose that as the stinger.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Shirase doesn't have a spot because she will be the MC the whole time, duh.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

why does the opening song sound so famili-...

HOLY loving poo poo, ITS ANTARCTICA
JESUS CHRIST, WHAT THE FUUUCK

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You know, for them taking 9 episodes for them to finally reach Antarctica, the pacing has been... really good.

Though now I think we're going to get into the meat of the missing mother plot :smith:

Also only 3 episodes left :cry:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm kind of curious to see what we're going to end on. This seems like the sort of show that ends on something big and dramatic (even if it's only big and dramatic from the perspective of our wide-eyed heroines), and that feels like something they'd need more than one episode for, and here we are with only 3 left. Not much more time for downtime.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My call is this: 1st half of 11 is the list posted at the end, then 2nd half gets into Shirase's mom. 12 mostly deals with that, then 13 is them returning home.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One of the girls is totally going to get lost in the snow, and the others are going to have to find her.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Darth Walrus posted:

One of the girls is totally going to get lost in the snow, and the others are going to have to find her.

My money's on Kimari

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kibibit posted:

My money's on Kimari

I will be at least a little surprised if we get through the finale without a scene where Shirase's calling Kimari's name into a blizzard the way Gin did for Takako.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

A very good sequence :3:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ooh, that makes sense. I had been wondering why they chose that as the stinger.

It also says letters to Hinata from some track team, so we're likely to get into that as well! I'm excited.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kibibit posted:

My money's on Kimari

On the one hand, it makes sense for the archetypes they’ve inherited (Kimari is pretty much the Takako to Shirase’s Gin, personality-wise). On the other hand, Shirase has a rather more compelling reason to go running off into the wilderness.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She does have a very important quest to fulfill.

https://my.mixtape.moe/fwlpna.webm

Shirase is doomed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Edit isn't quote, never mind.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

On the one hand, it makes sense for the archetypes they’ve inherited (Kimari is pretty much the Takako to Shirase’s Gin, personality-wise). On the other hand, Shirase has a rather more compelling reason to go running off into the wilderness.

This is true - although I could easily see it being a thing where Kimari is dumb and earnest enough to do this dangerous thing that Shirase really wants to do but is too smart/restrained to actually risk.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is true - although I could easily see it being a thing where Kimari is dumb and earnest enough to do this dangerous thing that Shirase really wants to do but is too smart/restrained to actually risk.

Ayup - when I look at Shirase, I definitely see a smart, restrained individual.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Ayup - when I look at Shirase, I definitely see a smart, restrained individual.

...Point taken. I'm dumb.

Although in my defense I feel like she at least tries to look more like one than Kimari does.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 8, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't think she tries to look that way, so much as it's just an unintended side effect of her quieter and more reserved personality that she comes off that way. As soon as she opens her mouth she normally puts her foot in it in some manner that betrays how much of a dumbass she is in many ways.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/KZfkDcx.gifv
Odds of this happening?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Charge! :3:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Knorth posted:

A very good sequence :3:
Also her clingy rear end friend contract was hilarious.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
ACTING

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Look, nobody said it'd be GOOD ACTING. Cut the girl some slack here. :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I'm really liking Shirase's random assortment of hidden talents. Terrible at seduction, public speaking, planning. Invincible at jump rope, mahjong, and telling people to gently caress off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I couldn’t help but note how Shirase was just casually referred to as Takako and Gin’s daughter. Guess they decided to say it outright, then.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That after credits scene was spooky, for some reason.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I couldn’t help but note how Shirase was just casually referred to as Takako and Gin’s daughter. Guess they decided to say it outright, then.

Yeah, I'm glad we're apparently just rolling with that.

Very strong episode, Shirase and Hinata's dynamic is really sweet. It's also pretty clear what our finale's going to focus on, and I'm quite excited to see what it brings.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
What exactly did the track team do to Hinata? I didn’t really get it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shuffle posted:

They encouraged her to push for a spot on the competition team over some of the seniors. Then, when she beat some of the seniors out, most of the team got really mad at Hinata. Then the girls who encouraged her to push for her spot talked right out of the other side of their mouths behind her back when they got asked about it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Shuffle posted:

They ganged up against her for beating the third years.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shuffle posted:

Her friends pushed her to go for a place in an upcoming tournament, assuring her that the third-years (the older girls about to leave school, who were therefore on their last chance to enter a tournament themselves) would be cool with it. The third-years were not cool with it, because tournament prizes are pretty handy for getting you a good place in college, so they bullied Hinata out of the club and, eventually, out of the school, while her friends did nothing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Her friends pushed her to go for a place in an upcoming tournament, assuring her that the third-years (the older girls about to leave school, who were therefore on their last chance to enter a tournament themselves) would be cool with it. The third-years were not cool with it, because tournament prizes are pretty handy for getting you a good place in college, so they bullied Hinata out of the club and, eventually, out of the school, while her friends did nothing.

Key point here - her friends not only did nothing, they outright denied having ever encouraged Hinata and claimed that they tried to talk her down. Hinata seemed most hung up on the active duplicity moreso than anything else.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This also sheds some light on why Hinata fell in with this Antarctica trip in the first place, I think. She's been left wondering how much, if any, of her track team friends' goodwill is sincere, and in return, it sounds like she never really revealed to them how betrayed she felt. In contrast, Kimari and Shirase are completely guileless. Shirase has built her whole life around getting to Antarctica and has never pretended otherwise for a second, while Kimari's friendliness seems almost totally unconditional (as we saw in episode 5.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

This also sheds some light on why Hinata fell in with this Antarctica trip in the first place, I think. She's been left wondering how much, if any, of her track team friends' goodwill is sincere, and in return, it sounds like she never really revealed to them how betrayed she felt. In contrast, Kimari and Shirase are completely guileless. Shirase has built her whole life around getting to Antarctica and has never pretended otherwise for a second, while Kimari's friendliness seems almost totally unconditional (as we saw in episode 5.)

Shirase is completely and utterly straightforward to a fault and owns it. Kimari is too pure and dumb to do anything as complex as outright deception.