Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Boston is probably lowhanging fruit for bad street design but I can't get over this dumbass street that is only 1km long, creates TWO separate 6-way intersections, and then just merges back into an east-west avenue

nice petagram park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

One of my favorite urban planning decisions is when NYC renamed their streets to a number system to make navigation easier, which led to this arrangement in Astoria:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CaptainRightful posted:

One of my favorite urban planning decisions is when NYC renamed their streets to a number system to make navigation easier, which led to this arrangement in Astoria:

Follow the 30th avenue, then turn right to the 30th street, and turn left to the 30th drive.

Unfortunately, no way to shoehorn the 30th road without going through a different number at some point.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

Follow the 30th avenue, then turn right to the 30th street, and turn left to the 30th drive.

Unfortunately, no way to shoehorn the 30th road without going through a different number at some point.

I've gotten people lost with this one before:

Go south on north east ave, no not eastearn ave, wtf did you put into your gps so you're on north east ave, go south to south east ave, no not eastern ave.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Cable Guy posted:

Holy poo poo... things I never thought I'd see in America - gun control.... and round-abouts

I have no idea why somebody made this map but they did.

Map of all roundabouts in Michigan

I'm sure it will shock you to find out that in the Detroit metro area the state hasn't built any in Detroit proper.

Speaking of Detroit and Washington DC, following a fire in 1805 which pretty much destroyed the entirety of Detroit a territorial judge by the name of Augustus Woodward drew up a plan similar to what l'Enfant had designed for Washington.

Elements of the plan were put into place. I find it kinda hilarious he named one of the main roads after himself and that's one of the parts of his plan that actually happened.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Do you have a link to "map of roundabouts" for other us states?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Unfortunately not, I found that on the "Michigan Roundabout Resource Center" which exists for some reason.

https://www.michiganautolaw.com/roundabouts/

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

Portland has addresses that have a leading zero. This means that there can be two addresses, blocks apart, that are identical except one has a zero in front of it. Leave off the zero (like many automated systems will) and you're going to the wrong place.

I picked two at random and got some driving directions for fun.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

What is a Euro Market

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Top Tip: If you throw spaghetti at the wall and it sticks, you've designed a European city layout.

Well, cities with organic layouts are much more pleasant to live in than mechanically designed industrial hatcheries :shrug:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

steinrokkan posted:

Well, cities with organic layouts are much more pleasant to live in than mechanically designed industrial hatcheries :shrug:

So does "organic layout" mean "designed over centuries by the vagaries of feudalism" now?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

"Welcome to Comte Cortez's road, it's organic layout was designed in 1488 to funnel the poors straight into the hussar's spears if the ever got uppity.

Enjoy the starbucks! :)"

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

What is a Euro Market

Should be obvious from the name? Just like Trade Fair.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dreddout posted:

"Welcome to Comte Cortez's road, it's organic layout was designed in 1488 to funnel the poors straight into the hussar's spears if the ever got uppity.

Enjoy the starbucks! :)"

Cities are what destroyed feudalism.

Also what are hussars doing in Spain

e: or I guess he's French, this is confusing dude.

e2: there are peasants in the cities??

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 10, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Phlegmish posted:

What is a Euro Market

It's Astoria so it probably sells Greek/Balkan food.

EDIT: Yeah looked it up, something like that anyway. Queens is basically the most diverse place on planet earth (in the real off the boat sense and not in the "my grandma was Greek!" sense), so there's shitloads of import stores like that around.
Immigrants gotta get that motherland fix.

Grape fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 10, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

My friend, let me introduce you to New Westminister, BC:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dreddout posted:

So does "organic layout" mean "designed over centuries by the vagaries of feudalism" now?

yeah, organic morphology is usually the old school medieval rat nest of streets that only locals can navigate. they're super resistant to autmotive intrusion because of sharp turns, confusing layouts, narrow roads etc. which means that in european cities you often see downtown areas where the local authority bans cars because theyre such a pain in the rear end to drive around in and destructive of foot traffic

there's nothing wrong with grid or gridiron morphology (people often forget that many ancient and medieval street layouts were based on planned geometric order) but it makes it easier for cars to intrude and cars to become a dominant mode over foot traffic, which is bad. and that's areas designed originally for foot traffic, let alone the void that is sprawl where navigating on foot is functionally impossible

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I wish Greek-Americans had had balls and taken the US by storm with their food like the Italians did.
Instead they just opened a bunch of diners and nervously sell lousy gyros and crap on a side menu. So as a result even though I'm in the Tri-State metro zone of "find whatever the gently caress you wanna eat", to get straight up Greek poo poo with my wife we gotta go all the way down to Queens for it p. much.

Thankfully the secret is if you want good authentic Greek food, just go to a Turkish/Lebanese place. Same exact poo poo for the most part.
Halal groceries are also secretly the place to go for bringing ingredients home for Greek cookin'.

tldr: Greece is a secretly Middle Eastern country.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Grape posted:

Most of it belonged to Greece, tbf.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Byzantine posted:

Most of it belonged to Greece, tbf.

Yeah, people acting these days like some huge bolded black sharpie marker line exists between Greece and Turkey (and what lies beyond in the dread near-orient).

But the Balkans and Levant areas have been tied together for like a millennia, Ottomans, East Romans (Medieval Greeks), and Rome proper before that..
Might just be some cultural connections and stuff.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Psh, Amateurs.

Note near the bottom right how Tuscany Valley Drive suddenly becomes Tuscany Valley Way even though the whole thing is a crescent/close. This is what happens when urban planners hate everything and everybody.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

NYC: known godawful hellhole

Jerusalem: great place to live

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

Cities are what destroyed feudalism.

Also what are hussars doing in Spain

e: or I guess he's French, this is confusing dude.

e2: there are peasants in the cities??

Looks like you need to read my alternate history wherein the Polish conquer all of Western Europe in an effort to prove they are white

They don't

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dreddout posted:

Say what you want about peasants or burghers, they actually built their poo poo in a way that was efficient with regards to local topography, not according to what some dumb rear end planner with a fetish for right angles drew up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

NYC: known godawful hellhole

Jerusalem: great place to live

Exactly!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Right angles are good, modernism is good, and an attachment to European city plans is evidence of a backwards and feudalistic particularism. Should’ve let Napoleon 3 bulldoze all of Paris IMO

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Right angles are good, modernism is good, and an attachment to European city plans is evidence of a backwards and feudalistic particularism. Should’ve let Napoleon 3 bulldoze all of Paris IMO

But the Greeks and the Romans came up with the gridiron planning in urbanism and agricultural land division. How is that not European?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

But the Greeks and the Romans came up with the gridiron planning in urbanism and agricultural land division. How is that not European?

Keyword here is "planning". Yeah, when they'd go create a new city somewhere, they'd start with a geometric plan full of right angles and centered around a big plaza.

But then the city would grow for centuries, with a mix of planned and anarchic development. It could grow enough to reach up to and swallow another city. Also they didn't have the same earthmoving capacities that we have with powered machines, so they took the existing terrain into account a lot more.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grape posted:

I wish Greek-Americans had had balls and taken the US by storm with their food like the Italians did.
Instead they just opened a bunch of diners and nervously sell lousy gyros and crap on a side menu. So as a result even though I'm in the Tri-State metro zone of "find whatever the gently caress you wanna eat", to get straight up Greek poo poo with my wife we gotta go all the way down to Queens for it p. much.

Thankfully the secret is if you want good authentic Greek food, just go to a Turkish/Lebanese place. Same exact poo poo for the most part.
Halal groceries are also secretly the place to go for bringing ingredients home for Greek cookin'.

Lousy gyros own. I just wish there were more greek places in general.

ArseMan
Jun 7, 2003

Jeg kan ikke snakke norsk, men jeg fortsatt elsker mitt fedreland :norway:

Plinkey posted:

Go south on north east ave, no not eastearn ave, wtf did you put into your gps so you're on north east ave, go south to south east ave, no not eastern ave.

My condo in Chicago is just south of North and west of Western.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

ArseMan posted:

My condo in Chicago is just south of North and west of Western.

Sup Chicago buddy. I live just south of Chicago Ave., but used to live west of Western and north of North.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
the predominance of greek food is another reason why melbourne is the best city

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Say what you want about peasants or burghers, they actually built their poo poo in a way that was efficient with regards to local topography, not according to what some dumb rear end planner with a fetish for right angles drew up.

I feel like there's some sort of middle ground here, having a layout that incorporates modern needs (without letting cars reign supreme) and efficiency without it being nothing but soulless geometric shapes with generic names like 453rd Street. Have they tried that? They should try that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cat Mattress posted:

Keyword here is "planning". Yeah, when they'd go create a new city somewhere, they'd start with a geometric plan full of right angles and centered around a big plaza.

But then the city would grow for centuries, with a mix of planned and anarchic development. It could grow enough to reach up to and swallow another city. Also they didn't have the same earthmoving capacities that we have with powered machines, so they took the existing terrain into account a lot more.

As a result European cities have character and history. American cities have gun crime.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do you have a link to "map of roundabouts" for other us states?
You can try your luck withe the OSM Overpass query here: https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/wTu

As far as I can tell there are these 5 ways to mark different kinds of circular roads but sadly it seems to miss most actual roundabouts. I couldn't get the union syntax to work but you can try them one by one.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Orange Devil posted:

As a result European cities have character and history. American cities have gun crime.

At least in New England, a lot of cities had character and history, before being tossed away due to ill-conceived "urban renewal" projects.

quote:

In Boston, one of the country's oldest cities, almost a third of the old city was demolished—including the historic West End—to make way for a new highway, low- and moderate-income high-rises (which eventually became luxury housing), and new government and commercial buildings. This came to be seen as a tragedy by many residents and urban planners, and one of the centerpieces of the redevelopment—Government Center—is still considered an example of the excesses of urban renewal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_renewal#United_States

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Orange Devil posted:

It might be that most american cities are one-tenth or less the age of most european cities.

But seriously being a grid has nothing to do with whether a city has character and soul or not, check out... anywhere outside of Rome that was built by romans. Give windy white people suburbs in North America 1000 years to grow and they'll be characterful too, if we don't exterminate ourselves or something.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 11, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CountFosco posted:

At least in New England, a lot of cities had character and history, before being tossed away due to ill-conceived "urban renewal" projects.

modern paris was flattened and rebuilt in the 1870s in what was considered at the time horrible modernist urban renewal, and is today considered one of the most charming cities on earth

everyone thinks their local tradition of urban development is the best, really the only metric that matters is percentage of trips that take place by car. the lower the better

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But seriously being a grid has nothing to do with whether a city has character and soul or not, check out... anywhere outside of Rome that was built by romans. Give windy white people suburbs in North America 1000 years to grow and they'll be characterful too, if we don't exterminate ourselves or something.

rome? heh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Chinese_urban_planning

quote:

The first section on urban construction in The Artificer’s Record describes ancient techniques for siting a city, including methods for precisely orienting the site to the cardinal directions and determining the levelness of the land. The second section describes the basic the features of the ideal capital city:

“The carpenters construct the capital city, which is a square of nine li on each side. On each side there are three gates. Within the city there are nine north-south and nine east-west roads; the north-south roads are as wide as nine carriages side by side. The ancestral temple of the ruling house is to the left of the palace, the temple to god of the soil is to the right. The palace faces the court in front and the market is behind it. The court and the market are both one fu in area.”[6]

This section goes on to describe the structure and dimensions of important buildings (as well as their historical precedents), and the heights of the towers surmounting the palace, inner city wall, and outer city wall.

There are several cosmologically significant features of this basic urban outline, including cardinal orientation, square shape, (implied) centrality of the ruler’s palace, grid structure, and the prominence of the number nine. The nine-by-nine grid has led some scholars to suggest that the plan is based on the cosmological belief that the Earth is a square divided into nine sections. This structure is reproduced by the magic square, a tool for divination.

http://www.chaz.org/Arch/China/CHINA3.GIF

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The big problem with American cities is that they're impossible to get around without a car (especially outside the North-East) if there's ever a big gas crisis/shortage a lot of cities like Atlanta or Raleigh will literally cease to be functional or livable. People literally couldn't feed themselves in the large city I'm from without a car because the grocery stores are too far to reach on foot, and there's no mass transit that could ever take up the slack. You'd see a situation where huge swathes of America become ghost towns like a zombie apocalypse happened.