Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

remember when that guy killed 58 people in vegas by lobbing INTERNET at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Okay, so just to make sure we're on the same page, you're cool with ~200 more people being murdered a year because they are deprived of the tools to defend themselves?

"This vaccine will save tens of thousands of lives a year at the cost of 200 deaths from fatal reactions"
Liquid Communism: "I can't believe you want to kill 200 people omg no"

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I killed myself with my internet when I got depressed last year

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

patonthebach posted:

So it would be safer for cops working in Baltimore to go out without a handgun?

Yes disarm cops

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

stone cold posted:

mmm looks like owning guns legitimately also leads to firearms homicides, we should ban all guns

hilarious to use the phrase “first world” in 2018 when kids born after the soviet union died are old enough to own your favorite thing: guns. anyways, gee it’s almost like the situations aren’t comparable because the rest of the world doesn’t have as many guns as we do, by a lot

Man that map makes Brazil and Mexico look like a great place to live.

Also availabilty of guns does not neccesarily relate to the rate of homicides.

https://ssaa.org.au/assets/news-res...by_firearms.pdf

What does relate to homicides is things like poverty.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

VitalSigns posted:

Yes disarm cops

Sounds good to me. No legal barriers and the FBI numbers indicate that cops commit more homicides a year than are committed with rifles despite there being a lot less cops than rifles in the US.

Edit: A lot less, apparently that number is somewhere right around 17000 cops, or about 1 justified homicide per 45 cops per year.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 11, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

patonthebach posted:

Maybe you should sell all of your guns and give the money to homeless people.

Then convince your fellow gun owners to do the same thing.

It's win-win!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

patonthebach posted:

***offer not valid in the us

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Suicide by gun not making someone somehow more dead than suicide by other method, I see no point to targeting the firearm suicide rate specifically. I generally believe that actually addressing treatment of the conditions that lead people to suicide is more likely to reduce our overall suicide rate.

But in reality guns are the most successful method, so for ATTEMPTING suicide guns do, in fact, make you more likely to die.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/case-fatality/'

It's weird how loving guns blinds people to reality.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

patonthebach posted:

Lol again you're posting the study (from the Sport Shooters Association of Australia :laffo:) that deliberately excludes the USA

quote:

The statistical design of the study has an ecological approach based on a number of countries (N=52), not including the USA

Weird if you start with your conclusion and exclude data which doesn't agree, you find what remains supports the conclusion you wanted!

Anyway, you've already agreed the epidemiological data shows gun control reduces deaths so I don't know why you're back on this irrelevant argument that even you admitted is useless, or why you're pulling worthless cherry picking from a literal gun advocacy group.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 11, 2018

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Yes disarm cops

Can't wait for you guys to apply to be cops in the big city without guns. Good luck with your strong words and karate! I bet the criminals wont use their guns anymore once they hear the police aren't carrying, right? Maybe after your third day on the job you will change your mind, in that sometimes guns could be a defensive tool.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 11, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

patonthebach posted:

Can't wait for you guys to apply to be cops in the big city without guns. Good luck with your karate! Maybe after your third day on the job you will change your mind, in that sometimes guns could be a defensive tool.

Guns aren't allowed to be used as a defensive tool against cops, cops have a free pass to murder people and they need to be stopped.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

patonthebach posted:

Can't wait for you guys to apply to be cops in the big city without guns. Good luck with your karate! Maybe after your third day on the job you will change your mind, in that sometimes guns could be a defensive tool.

img-London.jpg

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

VitalSigns posted:

Guns aren't allowed to be used as a defensive tool against cops, cops have a free pass to murder people and they need to be stopped.

Now there's a thing we actually agree on.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Unoriginal Name posted:

img-London.jpg

If you honestly think its safer to be unarmed as a cop in America. Go apply. Be a hero. Start a revolution by not carrying on the job. Good luck.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

patonthebach posted:

If you honestly think its safer to be unarmed as a cop in America. Go apply. Be a hero. Start a revolution by not carrying on the job. Good luck.

lmao, you actually think that chart supports your arguments

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

things that are completely reasonable:

attempting to compare any other country to the us when the us had (circa 2007), of the 650~millionish civilian owned guns in the entire world, 270~million, meaning that the us had 88.8 just civilian owned guns per 100 people

fyi:

quote:

By the same year, 2009, the estimated total number of firearms available to civilians in the United States had increased to approximately 310 million: 114 million handguns, 110 million rifles, and 86 million shotguns. Per capita, the civilian gun stock has roughly doubled since 1968, from one gun per every two persons to one gun per person.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

As a stalinist communist should i be for guns for all or against it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

patonthebach posted:

Can't wait for you guys to apply to be cops in the big city without guns. Good luck with your strong words and karate! I bet the criminals wont use their guns anymore once they hear the police aren't carrying, right? Maybe after your third day on the job you will change your mind, in that sometimes guns could be a defensive tool.

Nah

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

stone cold posted:

things that are completely reasonable:

attempting to compare any other country to the us when the us had (circa 2007), of the 650~millionish civilian owned guns in the entire world, 270~million, meaning that the us had 88.8 just civilian owned guns per 100 people

fyi:

Weird in Brazil they only have 17 million guns and somehow have five times the amount of homicides as the USA. I wonder if its because they have so many less guns is why they have less homicides? Oh wait.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LeoMarr posted:

Guns for the proletariat only.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Realtalk if a things only purpose is causing massive bodily harm it is not a defensive tool period end of story

I can see more of an argument for batons than guns and I hate those too (because it's easy to air wuotes accidentally cause permanent injury with them)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeoMarr posted:

You should get shot for being a tankie

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

patonthebach posted:

It's almost like there's other people in Britain who can't carry guns as just a matter of course, and youre being massively disingenuous by spinning "disarm police" into "only disarm police"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

patonthebach posted:

Weird in Brazil they only have 17 million guns and somehow have five times the amount of homicides. So an american gun has 0.00005% chance of being used in a homicide when a Brazilian gun has 0.00028% chance. Weird. American guns are way less dangerous. Or maybe its poverty?

countries that are similar to america: brazil

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

*wayne lapierre voice* the us is a lot like venezuela,

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

LeoMarr posted:

The left is not anti-gun. Only liberals are.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Azuren posted:

i mean im an anarcho communist and im firmly anti gun in the current setting because of the dramatic power imbalance between citizens and military or police rendering guns as defense from the government moot

probably shouldn't jump out on that one so hard

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Azuren posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/970046610485993473

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Azuren posted:

I notice all of those dates are way before drones were invented.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

I notice all of those dates are way before drones were invented.

Also worth noting that 50% of that picture was shot to death

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

patonthebach posted:

Boy, sure is a good thing those UK officers had all those guns to protect themselves.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Extendable batons are worthless for anything that isn't a totally one-sided beating.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I will sincerely never understand the mindset that leads one to reason, "the solution to a power imbalance between two parties is to further exacerbate that power imbalance in favor of the more powerful party."

A sizable fraction of the country believes that we are currently witnessing a fascist takeover of the government, that literal Nazis are marching in the streets, and that the police are full of white supremacists (I'll even grant you that final point)... and that the solution is for the citizenry to disarm themselves and yield all capacity for force to the aforementioned groups. The capability to resist was *literally* the point of the Second Amendment. Doubly so when our nation is at a point where the murder rate has declined 50% in the past 25 years and we are enjoying a broad trend of reduced violent crime for more than half a century, despite the dramatic increased proliferation of firearms both absolutely and per-capita.

The mind reels.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Azuren posted:

I will sincerely never understand the mindset that leads one to reason, "the solution to a power imbalance between two parties is to further exacerbate that power imbalance in favor of the more powerful party."

A sizable fraction of the country believes that we are currently witnessing a fascist takeover of the government, that literal Nazis are marching in the streets, and that the police are full of white supremacists (I'll even grant you that final point)... and that the solution is for the citizenry to disarm themselves and yield all capacity for force to the aforementioned groups. The capability to resist was *literally* the point of the Second Amendment. Doubly so when our nation is at a point where the murder rate has declined 50% in the past 25 years and we are enjoying a broad trend of reduced violent crime for more than half a century, despite the dramatic increased proliferation of firearms both absolutely and per-capita.

The mind reels.

i mean people on the last two pages are also saying "disarm the police" so i dunno maybe you're just fuckin stupid

also lol if you think owning guns remotely balances the scale against the police/military

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
like, you're in a country where having a gun just means that when the cops shoot you people will be up in arms for half as long as if you didn't, how the gently caress do you figure you're actually able to defend yourself against the police

and they don't even have actual honest to god tanks, mostly

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Hey, its not like all the previous examples of a citizenry being disarmed went poorly. They all led to a new era of peace in that country.

Well, I guess if you are rich and white. Just dont be poor or racialized or a religious minority. Then horrible things to tend to happen right after.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 11, 2018

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Azuren posted:

The mind reels.

Except the majority of those gun owners are white, male Republicans who are "protecting" themselves from "criminals."

It just so happens that most of that protection is preemptive and those criminals are non-white.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

patonthebach posted:

Hey, its not like all the previous examples of a citizenry being disarmed went poorly. They all led to a new era of peace in that country.

Well, I guess if you are rich and white. Just dont be poor or racialized or a religious minority. Then horrible things to tend to happen right after.

Again, why are you assuming the citizens would be the only ones disarmed, moments after I say "cops should be disarmed too"

Also lol if you think having a rifle will protect you from drones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Again, why are you assuming the citizens would be the only ones disarmed, moments after I say "cops should be disarmed too"

Also lol if you think having a rifle will protect you from drones

Lol if you think you are going to be able to vote the government,military and police into disarming after they disarm the citizens. Holy gently caress.

• Locked thread