Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

skeleton warrior posted:

My inner 11-year-old is never going to let the Cree live down that they named one of their cities this

Peepeekisskiss always ends up being my best Cree city, too :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
most important change not mentioned in patch notes: the aerodrome icon is now red instead of purple

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Straight White Shark posted:

most important change not mentioned in patch notes: the aerodrome icon is now red instead of purple

:vince:

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
The 1UPT rules work fantastically in multiplayer and make for very harrowing turns against humans who can work the system. I'd argue it's way more interesting and satisfying then stack mechanics in that regard.

What sucks though is up until now, that's not why I played civ games. It's weird that civ is something I load up these days to play my turn in and then shut down. I miss that feeling of losing hours in a play through without realizing it, and with AI that has no ability to understand the game it's playing, that's just not a thing that can happen with this game.

I know this is a rehash of what pretty much everyone is saying. I just wish there was a solution here.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Maybe you just got older and your brain works differently now? I'm the same, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've lost a couple games by minding my own business and then getting a pop-up saying Kongo won a cultural victory. It wasn't exactly satisfying.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I did like how one of the victories in BE was to bring the earths population to the new planet, or to invade them with your army of robots. I really liked the far future tech, and someday hope Civ will have a game where you start out at stone age but end in some star treky kind of future. Like the Empire Earth RTS game.
It was called Call to Power and had a really good alternative to worker spam that real civ should have ripped off.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've lost a couple games by minding my own business and then getting a pop-up saying Kongo won a cultural victory. It wasn't exactly satisfying.

I lost a game to a religious victory once, it came from absolutely nowhere since I usually disable religious victories. I re-loaded a save from 3 turns earlier, bought a bunch of inquisitors and cleansed all my cities.

The inquisitors are just absolutely OP but since nobody actually uses religion nobody cares I guess. You can remove any trace of all opposing religions in any of your cities for 1 charge. It is just stupidly insanely powerful and there is no way the AI can win a religious victory if you have 1 of these. The AI needs to spend 2-3 apostles to convert one of your cities and you can undo everything using 1 charge. Not only that, they are extremely powerful in religious combat too, the only "drawback" is that they can only move inside your own territory. They are also super cheap, if not the cheapest religious unit of them all.

I like religion in this game since you can get some powerful bonuses and it is somewhat fun to spread it around but the AI just overwhelms you with units and there is no way you have the patience to micro manage the horde of apostles you need to convert enemy cities if they are also trying to spread their religion. It's like in the Paradox games (EUIII, Stellaris, CKII) where the AI would just flood your lands with small lovely units forcing you to spend hours chasing them around (it has since been fixed in the PDX games).

For a conquest you can move the same units around the world. 2 artillery with balloons/drones, 2-3 mechanized infantry armies, 1 tank army to chase down enemy units and you are set for a world conquest. For religious victory you not only need to convert enemy cities using units that expire, you also need to make sure that the cities stay your religion, fighting off enemy apostles, inquisitors and missionaries which each AI shits out constantly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I actually like going all out on religion, since the trick is to sent in a vanguard of Debater apostles to scout the land and kill any religious units they come across, which does a good job of putting a dent in their religious pressure. Once you've identified cities that can produce religious units, you keep a couple apostles around to take out new units, while you sent in a decapitation team of translators and proselytizers to cripple all of them simultaneously. Once their unit production is offline, you can convert their remaining cities so they can't build holy sites later on, and move on to the next civ.

At least, that's how it works until one of those fuckers declares war on you and has their military kill all your civilians while calling you a warmonger.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, playing conversion tug-of-war is a mug's game. Religious combat is what it's all about, each victory is worth like a dozen charges of spread religion and your combat strength is a renewable resource unlike conversion charges.

Still not a huge fan. Civ 6 has enough going on that it doesn't need the extra micromanagement. Religion is the one area that I still really miss Civ 4 for.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

onesixtwo posted:

Did that Civ IV Let’s Play ever get off the ground? I think it was brought up as a suggestion quite a few pages ago, but I’d still be interested in whoever was discussing that.

Yeah, like people said the first succession game sorta stalled out. So I just did an Egypt Monarch game to show some stuff off and set up a religion challenge that just ended.

I'm getting a newbie succession game set up, so if you're only used to playing below Noble (or not even playing at all), it should be fun and I'm happy if people sign up.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I really want to get into some PBEM games but I'm holding out for some summer bundle so i can hopefully pick up some DLC civs along with R&F.
It's unfortunate how the DLC stuff works in MP.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jBrereton posted:

It was called Call to Power and had a really good alternative to worker spam that real civ should have ripped off.

You mean "just pay money to build roads wherever"? It was a relief, and it was less interesting.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mata posted:

I really want to get into some PBEM games but I'm holding out for some summer bundle so i can hopefully pick up some DLC civs along with R&F.

Yeah, this game has an annoying amount of DLC that never seems to go on sale. And I know it's only going to increase from here, if Civ V is anything to go by.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Rise & Fall is on sale today, but for a mere -10%. Ill keep waiting

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Chucat posted:

Yeah, like people said the first succession game sorta stalled out. So I just did an Egypt Monarch game to show some stuff off and set up a religion challenge that just ended.

I'm getting a newbie succession game set up, so if you're only used to playing below Noble (or not even playing at all), it should be fun and I'm happy if people sign up.

I would be interested for sure. Haven’t played civ iv since it was current, so I’m super foggy at best, but have been wanting to revisit it for the heck of it.

Mata posted:

Honestly if you made a PBEM based on your dlc, I’d join it. I have a few friends with minimal DLC I’m trying to talk into buying RnF. I could get them into it as well, or if you have RnF (even better!) just host a game and I’m sure we could get people in.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 9, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, this game has an annoying amount of DLC that never seems to go on sale. And I know it's only going to increase from here, if Civ V is anything to go by.

I thought Civ V stopped releasing new DLC with expansions? New DLC Civs, at least. There might have been some map packs or something. I think after Gods and Kings came out the only new DLC was two map packs.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Magil Zeal posted:

I thought Civ V stopped releasing new DLC with expansions? New DLC Civs, at least. There might have been some map packs or something. I think after Gods and Kings came out the only new DLC was two map packs.

Just checked and you're right - weird, I had this distinct memory that they kept releasing more afterwards. Part of this goes back to my general dislike for DLC, to be fair, but a bundle of all the new civs (or at least a discount since 2K is having a weekend sale on Steam) would be nice.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Oh I agree, a nice DLC bundle would be very good. The future of DLC is still up in the air, they might not necessarily do the same thing with VI that they did with V.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also Free Cities basically being barbarians is apparently a design choice they're doubling down on. :lol:

Probably my most hated decision for the current game. Free cities absolutely should take on the status of a city state you can be at peace with. And perhaps even spawn a new Civ if their borders contain multiple cities.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

Honestly if you made a PBEM based on your dlc, I’d join it. I have a few friends with minimal DLC I’m trying to talk into buying RnF. I could get them into it as well, or if you have RnF (even better!) just host a game and I’m sure we could get people in.
I could do a non-dlc game, but I want my next game to be R&F... But if I buy R&F by itself with no DLC, firaxis has owned me yet again, and they have already owned me plenty. So this time I'm going to be patient...

I just finished a 4 player PYDT game on fractal maptype where the game spawned me on my own continent, after 60 turns of the greediest min/maxing this game has ever seen the other players surrendered. It's a bit embarassing how much fun I had just optimizing my build without being threatened by other players.

Next time I'm going to look into better mapscripts. Fractal had some cool stuff, but grossly imbalanced starts really sucks in PBEM games. Ideally I'd like a map type similar to lakes from civ5 - no oceans, map wraps horizontally (wrapping vertically as well would be awesome but I don't know if civ6 supports that?), everyone is surrounded by other players on all sides: no matter where you settle you'll piss somebody off and nobody is tucked away safely in some corner.

Pangea is nice but still has a tendency to spawn some players on an easily defendable peninsula, or surrounded by mountain ranges, etc. I like the idea of navies, but I'm prepared to do without if it means players will share more land borders with other players.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I was just thinking how in the last month Stellaris has done 4 patches on their new expansion.
Civ's got one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

homullus posted:

You mean "just pay money to build roads wherever"? It was a relief, and it was less interesting.

Nope. CtP had a separate resource pool called public works that you spent to build tile improvements. Cities had to be assigned to generate public works instead of building normal stuff.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kalko posted:

Has anyone seen the AI use air power since R&F? I haven't, and it's a shame because it might actually make modern era wars challenging instead of a steamroll. You would think the AI would be able to use planes well since there's no actual movement points or terrain to worry about, it's just 'bomb X tile' with only things like AA to take into account.

Update: I had a runaway Gilgamesh keeping pace with me for most of the game and he definitely had some fighters that kept showing up at the front, but just seemed to shuffle them around uselessly--I wasn't using a lot of airpower but I never got intercepted and never saw any counterstrikes. :(

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Nope. CtP had a separate resource pool called public works that you spent to build tile improvements. Cities had to be assigned to generate public works instead of building normal stuff.

I stand corrected on it simply being money. I played a lot of it, and stand by "it was a relief, and it was less interesting."

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

I was just thinking how in the last month Stellaris has done 4 patches on their new expansion.
Civ's got one.

To be fair, Stellaris is a much worse game. It desperately needs the help.

Paradox does have a more reactive Dev team than Firaxis though. I'd take Paradox's dev team over Firaxis most days at this point.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Careful now. Civ6 might be a trash fire, but the XCOM series has been hitting it out of the park. Sure, they aren't patching anything ever, but at least the game you paid for is there and done well. I cannot possibly imagine trying to play Stellaris again.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Controversial opinion, Civ6 is NOT a trash fire.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I love literally everything about Civ 6 outside of it's endgame.

I just want my Diplomatic victory back. And the UN so I can put out resolutions that mess with people.

And maybe a return of Corporations, but rebuilt as basically a psuedo endgame Religion.

Literally everything else about Civ 6 is pretty great.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Rookersh posted:

I love literally everything about Civ 6 outside of it's endgame.

I just want my Diplomatic victory back. And the UN so I can put out resolutions that mess with people.

And maybe a return of Corporations, but rebuilt as basically a psuedo endgame Religion.

Literally everything else about Civ 6 is pretty great.

You love the Civ 6 AI?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Magil Zeal posted:

To be fair, Stellaris is a much worse game. It desperately needs the help.

No. No it isn't. And no it doesn't.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
As much as I love Civ 6 it still has a lot of flaws; it succeeds by playing to its strengths, not by fixing its weaknesses.

Someone mentioned upthread how much fun it is to just dive into the game's optimization puzzles even without any player to player interaction, and I think this really speaks to the game's strength. I kind of wonder what Civ 7 would be like if they completely NPC-fied the AI and did away with the pretense that they're playing the same game as you. Forget about teaching the AI to navigate the game and just arbitrarily give it what it needs to pose an appropriate challenge. It really says something that a lot of my most interesting combat experiences in Civ 6 are against barbarians--why not just take things to their logical conclusion and run all AI civs on a similar basis?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

turboraton posted:

Controversial opinion, Civ6 is NOT a trash fire.

I still maintain that Civ 6 is what Civ 5 should have been, and the problems with 6 are largely holdovers from the 5.

That said I am a bit concerned because it does seem like patches are coming out a lot slower than in past years.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

No. No it isn't. And no it doesn't.

You do you, but Stellaris is a really bad game where you have to sit around and wait and wait and wait and wait to accomplish anything of note. I'm a more active player myself so it doesn't suit me, I don't like to sit around and watch things happen. I'd rather go out and make things happen.

So I do like Civ 6.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Does Firaxis even interact with their community? It just seems like they're entirely deaf to their fans' needs. I really wish they'd take the Paradox route. Devs really are terrible at their own games.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Trivia posted:

Does Firaxis even interact with their community? It just seems like they're entirely deaf to their fans' needs. I really wish they'd take the Paradox route. Devs really are terrible at their own games.

Well for this last patch they had developer Ed Beach talk in a very monotone way about the changes in said patch, whereas usually they have the Firaxis marketing lady who mispronounces every foreign word do that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The mispronouncing thing is another weird signal of their half-assedness. Just call the local college and ask a loving professor. They will tell you how to say it.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

*slams huizlopochtli into google's text-to-speech*

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know design by committee never turns out well, but it would be nice if Civ VI's developer vision was a bit grander than "mechanically complex city development" and "get owned by barbarians, nerd." At least as long as you're putting in all the flavor text anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Magil Zeal posted:

You do you, but Stellaris is a really bad game where you have to sit around and wait and wait and wait and wait to accomplish anything of note. I'm a more active player myself so it doesn't suit me, I don't like to sit around and watch things happen. I'd rather go out and make things happen.

So I do like Civ 6.

In Stellaris, the AI exists. Civ6 is an objectively worse game by the fact you're exclusively the only relevant player, unless you play MP, which the game is really not balanced for.