Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Its also really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ded posted:

Base game only.

To get the cool stuff you still gota spend around 50-60

I dunno that I agree, the base game is still Really Good

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

is hearts of iron 4 worth getting

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

is hearts of iron 4 worth getting

Not really. I probably own every Paradox strategy game and HOI4 is the least played of them. I understand the appeal of huge tech trees and running all of these "what if" scenarios. What if Mexico turned fascist and invaded the US in the late 1930s? What if the UK turned communist and helped the Soviet Union conquer Europe? But the tech trees are overly complex and most of the military units are overpriced and under performing. This will lead to you getting stomped by the AI until you go to the message boards and learn the "correct" three units to make for max damage output and after you learn the formula you will never make anything else.

Is it the WWII theme that interests you or the grand strategy? Europa Universalis is a lot of fun and inxludes simplified combat rules that aren't completely broken.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

p. much the wwII angle is what grabbed me. I'm all Civ'd out atm and wanted something new to lose hours to

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

p. much the wwII angle is what grabbed me. I'm all Civ'd out atm and wanted something new to lose hours to

It's a fairly fun way to lose track of a Saturday if you're into it. A few of us in the discord own it and play every now and then.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Stellaris or Crusader Kings 2 are great paradox games if you haven't played either of those yet

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I've played everything in the current generation of Paradox grand strategy, and for me it goes EU4 > Stellaris > HOI4 > CK2. EU4 is still the undisputed champ despite a pattern in recent major patches of adding a new meter and calling it a mechanic. Stellaris got a bump recently with a fantastic and much-needed overhaul of borders and wars, and CK2 has dropped below HOI4 just because of the ungodly amount of pure bloat that (1) doesn't improve the game and (2) after a hundred years makes it chug like a fat kid trying to outrun a bear.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i have stellaris, i should just reinstall that

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I just started playing it again. Last time I played it was launch where the mid and end game weren't all that immersive but 2 years later it seems they made a lot of good changes/additions. I'm looking forward to getting to the megastructures.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I love sci fi poo poo, wish Mass Effect Andromeda was better, I still haven't finished it. The original Trilogy are some of my favorite games, with the first being my favorite I think even though I'd admit to the second being the best of the three.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh poo poo you just triggered Two Finger

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Finishing up Subnautica tonight, then maybe getting into Stellar is tomorrow.

Still keeping off my foot while on an ibuprofen diet, and my girlfriend doesn't come to visit until late Saturday evening, so I've got some time to kill.

Thinking of just pulling the trigger on that apocalypse dlc, because why the gently caress not. Got money.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I can't remember how to play at all so I started a generic United Nations of Earth game to learn it all over again, I've just been rapidly spewing forth humanity all across the cosmos and just uplifted some crab people into my burgeoning space empire. My first attempt at uplifting went horribly wrong, I had a human colony ship on the same tropical planet as some insect people that weren't sapient yet. My colonists found the remains of some giant terraforming machine and "accidentally" turned it on. Instantly hordes of millions of mutated humanoids poured out of the ground, attacking every settlement, including the cool looking insectoid people.

Now that planet is an arid planet devoid of life. Good job, humanity. One day I want to go back and terraform it back to something less of a shithole.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Anyone coming back into/starting Stellaris now: opt-in to the 2.0.2 beta patch. It's very stable and includes several QoL changes for the new features in the 2.0 patch, as well as some much needed balance changes.

For example, the new pirate spawning system that's giving everyone a hard time? In 2.0 AI empires didn't get those pirates, but 2.0.2 gave it to them as well. Full List here, with new stuff being added every couple of days.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Oh poo poo you just triggered Two Finger

Nah I agree with him on all points really

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Is there a recommended race / empire / playstyle to go for as a first time Stellaris player, BTW?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Xenophobic fanatic militarist, authroritarian oligarchy

service means citizenship

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Xenophobic fanatic militarist, authroritarian oligarchy

service means citizenship

That's the next play through.

I'd say just start with the United Nations of Earth, you get along with most aliens and you can easily learn a lot of the basic mechanics.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mustang posted:

That's the next play through.

I'd say just start with the United Nations of Earth, you get along with most aliens and you can easily learn a lot of the basic mechanics.

Who the gently caress wants to get along with aliens? Kill 'em all, HK.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Im from the planet Covfefe and I say no collusion you're the collusion

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
When I play Civ I'm all about the tech victory, or the culture victory, or the diplomatic victory. Anything but conquest.

But Stellaris? Sorry fuckers, there's only room for one space-faring species in the universe.

Shockules
May 2, 2017
I've been trying different playstyles in Stellaris but I always come back to my roots and purge all the filthy xenos. My favorite game in playing right now is as a killer robot race where in erradicating all biological life. Definitely makes it hard though because you can't even pay the Marauder's to stay away from you.

As far as HOI4 goes I think it's a very fun game and is satisfying to do what Hitler failed to.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

My colonists found the remains of some giant terraforming machine and "accidentally" turned it on. Instantly hordes of millions of mutated humanoids poured out of the ground, attacking every settlement, including the cool looking insectoid people.

Now that planet is an arid planet devoid of life. Good job, humanity. One day I want to go back and terraform it back to something less of a shithole.

Lmao, welp, now I'm reinstalling.

I'm looking at the workshop, anyone try out the Star Wars mods? I'm thinking of using it to get back into the game again, haven't played since release.
I'd rather be committing genocide on the Hutts and the Empire than the random bird and jellyfish aliens.

Edit: Loaded up the Star Wars Mod Suggested Package, it sort of works but the galactic map and one part of the game screen have big pink squares for a missing texture, I assume. Also it looks like only some of the ship mods show up so most of the Star Wars factions have Stellaris ships. Oh well, back to vanilla.

NJersey fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 9, 2018

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/fromsoftware_pr/status/971872131200921600?s=19

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Finished Subnautica. 53 hours of fun and pants-making GBS threads were had.
I'm also calling horseshit on someone taking 20 hours on their first try. Even with the leisure time I took, I cannot possibly fathom doing 20 hours on the first go without constantly having one eyeball on the wiki and/or following some predetermined "build" or whatever.

If you Six Sigma, Gantt chart and milkrun the gently caress out of your playthrough, I'm guessing even less than 20 hours is entirely possible, but goddamn...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man, MGS5 really drags in the middle. I’ve given up on the side quests after 40 hours and I still have like 30 main missions to get through that are probably mostly filler.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fallom posted:

Man, MGS5 really drags in the middle. I’ve given up on the side quests after 40 hours and I still have like 30 main missions to get through that are probably mostly filler.

If you want to give up about halfway through Africa that's fine. You've seen pretty much everything the game has.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Finished Subnautica. 53 hours of fun and pants-making GBS threads were had.
I'm also calling horseshit on someone taking 20 hours on their first try. Even with the leisure time I took, I cannot possibly fathom doing 20 hours on the first go without constantly having one eyeball on the wiki and/or following some predetermined "build" or whatever.

If you Six Sigma, Gantt chart and milkrun the gently caress out of your playthrough, I'm guessing even less than 20 hours is entirely possible, but goddamn...

Yeah it took me about 42 hours, and that's mostly cause I used a guide to find one location that wasn't very well established in game.

I really hope it gets some solid DLC or something, game owned.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Fallom posted:

yeah the side quests get really generic. The game is incredibly fun but it didn't have enough big bases to infiltrate.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
MGSV: when you beat the beginning, you’ve beat the game.

I’m 100% serious.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I restarted and made a democratic human fanatic xenophobe egalitarian empire. Still don’t know if I’m playing the right way or whatever but I’ve started rushing to identified choke points and building starforts there to hold back the alien hordes while I build up the systems behind them.

Do xenophobes hate robots? I’ve got a basic subservient robot population that would be cool to grant full citizenship to if they become sentient in the future.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Drank my last beer for the evening, hitting the hay now.

Kicking off Stewllaris tomorrow morning, let's see how well a German taking a swing at the Univertserse turns out

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

meet the enemy

https://twitter.com/xsimonb/status/971308610616807425

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What an rear end in a top hat

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Some salty fuckin nerds in the comments

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm helping to helm a new Dwarf Fortress LP. Come look at my lovely colored pencil depictions of the matrix.

If you want your character to be killed by a zombie horde or thrown into a volcano come sign up. The first notable kill was our dwarf embedding their hammer in a humans face.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

if you know how to play also feel free to come sign up

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is it wrong that I hope his house burns down?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

Is it wrong that I hope his house burns down?

I do love how he lied to zotac when they asked him if he was using them for crypto mining lol.

Also pretending that buying those gpus from the manufacturer doesnt remove them from the retail supply chain is pretty rich too. The manufacturers produce as many as they can as fast as they can, the 130 this dude bought is 130 that didn't hit store shelves. Granted they would have gotten snapped up by another mining rear end in a top hat but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm helping to helm a new Dwarf Fortress LP. Come look at my lovely colored pencil depictions of the matrix.

If you want your character to be killed by a zombie horde or thrown into a volcano come sign up. The first notable kill was our dwarf embedding their hammer in a humans face.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

if you know how to play also feel free to come sign up

I won't take a turn at the helm but I will watch your inevitable horrible failure :iit: