Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

How common are crossovers in anime*? I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

*Not counting video games.
I still remember that one Episode of Dragon Ball has a crossover with Dr. Slump (or Arale la Chica Robot because Mexican title changes :bravo:) in the middle of him trying to get away from Colonel Blue. Hoozuki's Coolheadedness had an episode where the three main kids from My Little Monster pop up for like a minute and we're not supposed to notice.

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was a bonus chapter of the Haikyuu manga where they went to the beach and met the people from Nisekoi
The best Nisekoi crossover was the 2 chapters they did with Takeo from My Love Story!!, who then proceeded to call Raku a flake and it also demonstrated how Takeo is the best rom-com protag out there. It was the best. :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

How common are crossovers in anime*? I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

do the pretty cure crossover movies count?

Also, some characters from Rave Master appear in Fairy Tail at various points, since they're by the same author. I'm not sure if they're supposed to take place in the same world or not. There's also all the Conan vs Lupin stuff, not to mention the various Go Nagai crossovers.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

shonen jump crosses their poo poo over all the time, as people are mentioning itt (one piece/toriko/dragonball specials), special crossover chapters or intro pages, and they frequently celebrate series by having other artists draw fanart (which can depict further crossovers). basically as long as there is some unifying business interest at the roots of different properties, it's likely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the weirdest 'crossover' i can think of is that time the angry video game nerd and the nostalgia critic were in the background of that zettai karen children spinoff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That said anime is very much a multimedia production, far moreso than most other forms of pop culture - japan is a master of the tie-in - so generally speaking it makes better business sense for crossovers and crosspromotions to be video games or a movie than just an episode or chapter of the product itself.

Like, let's say hypothetically there were two popular fantasy shows airing right now with similar settings and slightly different tones but compatible enough to be crossed over. Similar viewership numbers. If you make a crossover episode, then do you air it in both their timeslots? Do you make two different crossover episodes? Even if you do the latter, there's no real guarantee people who like one will check out the other, even having watched the episode. And even if some of them do, there's no immediate benefit to your bottom line.

But if you make a crossover RPG or a fighting game or a 50 minute special that you slap onto a blu-ray, then A) people who like one will probably buy it, since it is a product relating to the thing they really like, as opposed to just a random episode of a show they don't watch, and B) the people that buy it will, well, buy it - it has an immediate positive impact on your bottom line.

So there's a ton of anime crossover video games and a decent number of crossover TV specials and movies, but not a ton of anime crossover episodes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The general rule seems to be that crossover specials are common, but "canon" crossovers are rare. This is probably wise.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the answers, everyone!

I didn't know about the PreCure crossover movies. Pretty much all the PreCure I've seen has been in the ADRTW livestreams.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the precure crossover movies are good if you like to see a bunch of disparate artstyles animated together

no joke it actually does kind of rule

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Detective Conan/Lupin III thing was p fun.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Wark Say posted:

Dr. Slump (or Arale la Chica Robot because Mexican title changes :bravo:)

That's weird, back then pretty much all dubbed anime for Latin America came from Mexico and yet we knew it as Dr. Slump.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Garo had a really cool payoff to the recurring villains constantly going "oh ho ho ho, you are playing into my keikaku" as they run off into the distance. The big bad "villain" hadn't yet grown into his role as villain, the plan was to instigate Sophie to stress out Martin and turn him into the true King. The plan wasn't watertight, so they fact they pulled it off meant they got lucky. What if Sword had killed El Dorado ahead of schedule?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The latest episode of Grankrest Senki totally owned and was worth how weird it's been for a while.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Garo had a really cool payoff to the recurring villains constantly going "oh ho ho ho, you are playing into my keikaku" as they run off into the distance. The big bad "villain" hadn't yet grown into his role as villain, the plan was to instigate Sophie to stress out Martin and turn him into the true King. The plan wasn't watertight, so they fact they pulled it off meant they got lucky. What if Sword had killed El Dorado ahead of schedule?

he wasn't a horror, as he lacked the inner darkness that would let a horror possess/eat him. "king" was the ring, not sophie's brother. knight went out to grab sophie because king ordered it, not martin.

i'm not really clear on why this genius horror felt it necessary to possess this one particular kid, though. i'm also not clear on why horrors would prefer eating souls on the internet over the usual way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kyte posted:

That's weird, back then pretty much all dubbed anime for Latin America came from Mexico and yet we knew it as Dr. Slump.
There were a few animes (and some Western Cartoons, too! Like Garfield and friends) that were sometimes dubbed off of Chile. The 90's weird.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he wasn't a horror, as he lacked the inner darkness that would let a horror possess/eat him. "king" was the ring, not sophie's brother. knight went out to grab sophie because king ordered it, not martin.

i'm not really clear on why this genius horror felt it necessary to possess this one particular kid, though. i'm also not clear on why horrors would prefer eating souls on the internet over the usual way.

It vastly expands their reach. It’s basically a global soul harvest that lets them enjoy a banquet like no other before people cotton on to what El Dorado does to them.

As for King, Martin got the ring because he had the technological know-how to build El Dorado, and the ring kept a vast Horror army obedient enough to help him develop the physical infrastructure rather than eat him (Horrors, by and large, are not very smart - the intelligent, far-sighted ones are a considerable minority). As for Sophie, they mostly just wanted to keep their master sweet until he fulfilled their goals, but the chance of getting the true King a body - any body - by letting Sophie break Martin’s mind was pretty tempting, too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eela6 posted:

Blood C Movie has a crossover with xxxHolic but it's also non Mizushima Blood C so it's trash

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Wark Say posted:

There were a few animes (and some Western Cartoons, too! Like Garfield and friends) that were sometimes dubbed off of Chile. The 90's weird.

Just for curiosity's sake I checked the dubbing wiki (yeah there's one) and it was done in Mexico. I assume the difference came from the X: Y format for the translated title.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
so Yuki Kajiura announced a bit ago that she’ll be leaving her agency Space Craft Produce (tasty name?) after working with them for the past two decades. Kalafina’s status was placed on hold at the time but its been announced they’ll be disbanding by the end of spring.

The group was put together by Kajiura in 2007 to work on Kara no Kyoukai and had their 10th anniversary concert in January. Later this month the concert will be on a disc release alongside a documentary of their past ten years.

o7

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is the new seven deadly sins anime any good?

i know some stuff came out between this one and the first season. do i need to watch any of that? google seemed to indicate that it was side chapters/original content

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Space Flower posted:

so Yuki Kajiura announced a bit ago that she’ll be leaving her agency Space Craft Produce (tasty name?) after working with them for the past two decades. Kalafina’s status was placed on hold at the time but its been announced they’ll be disbanding by the end of spring.

The group was put together by Kajiura in 2007 to work on Kara no Kyoukai and had their 10th anniversary concert in January. Later this month the concert will be on a disc release alongside a documentary of their past ten years.

o7
Definitely RIP.

Thanks for Alleluia/sprinter/Kimi no Gin no Niwa, those were super rad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who's gonna do OPs for Fate/Stay Night now?!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Who's gonna do OPs for Fate/Stay Night now?!
Someone good for a change! :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Get MAN WITH A MISSION to do the OP for the third Heaven's Feel movie

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QYcM9Pplmc

srice...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yay, another spooky (but still cute) little girl played by Inori Minase. Oh, and more Rupan! :peanut:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm still salty about it being recognized as Part 5, but Lupin still having a blue jacket.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Takagi-san was particularly brutal this week. That poor boy has the worst poker face and just never learns.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Nephthys posted:

Takagi-san was particularly brutal this week. That poor boy has the worst poker face and just never learns.

You have to admire his tenacity to jump into the fire every day and get brutally owned.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't wait for the final episode, where she owns him repeatedly on his deathbed.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Has the Takagi-san anime done the (manga spoilers) flashforward chapter? If not, they should.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, if they do it'll probably be last episode stuff.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kishuku Gakkō no Juliet is getting an anime. its a shonen romcom. noteworthy part is that they start dating in like, the second or third chapter. i forgot when exactly its been a while, but early. anyway, after that they just hide their love from others cause well, its romeo and juliet, and people get the poo poo beaten out of them in shonen comedy antics. i liked it well enough

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do they die at the end

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What's this whales thing on Netflix?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

What's this whales thing on Netflix?

Children of the Whales? I don’t remember it setting the forums on fire, but there was mildly positive buzz about it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Davincie posted:

Kishuku Gakkō no Juliet is getting an anime. its a shonen romcom. noteworthy part is that they start dating in like, the second or third chapter. i forgot when exactly its been a while, but early. anyway, after that they just hide their love from others cause well, its romeo and juliet, and people get the poo poo beaten out of them in shonen comedy antics. i liked it well enough

SOLD

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

Children of the Whales? I don’t remember it setting the forums on fire, but there was mildly positive buzz about it.

Mostly because nobody was streaming it at the time. Consensus seems to be that it's cool and good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was okay, but felt like half or even a quarter of a series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah it very much ends in the middle of a new arc, but that's the worst i would really say about it. the background art was great, the setting elements were interesting, and while the main character isn't particularly interesting (he's just there to write poo poo down), there are at least plenty of other characters to get invested in. i was also pleasantly surprised at how it dodged some of the looming shonen cliches that popped up in the first few episodes.

• Locked thread