Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

?! The save file is stored on the console itself, not on any external media or the cartridge or SD card.

Really? Even if the game is installed to the HDD?

EDIT: Yeah....literally the only things still on system memory are the Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and Amazon Instant Video apps. None of the saves are on the console itself.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Correct. It's actually a sticking point with people - there is zero method right now to backup save files. They are stored on the console in a hidden way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Correct. It's actually a sticking point with people - there is zero method right now to backup save files. They are stored on the console in a hidden way.

Like...even if there's not a listing for it? I'll be over-the-moon stoked if that's the case, but until I get a new drive attached to it, I have no way of testing it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah. Were you using a USB HDD and not a SD card? Either way, AFAIK they're only on the console.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah. Were you using a USB HDD and not a SD card? Either way, AFAIK they're only on the console.

I don't think you could put saves or anything on the SD card; I think that slot exists solely for Wii Mode compatibility

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Whoops, thought you were on a Switch. Ignore what I said. IDK about the WiiU - completely skipped over that console.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000
I just got to the thieves' cave and it looks like an annoying stealth mission. Any hints or tips to make it less frustrating?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Kevbo posted:

I just got to the thieves' cave and it looks like an annoying stealth mission. Any hints or tips to make it less frustrating?

Use the environment.

you can still sneakstrike

bananas

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Kevbo posted:

You can lure them by throwing bananas

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Kevbo posted:

It's short, so you just gotta make it through the part that is probably currently giving you trouble.

What I recommend you do is get up in the rafters, throw some bananas to lure away the guards at the door, and slip in behind. You can also have some fun with the giant barrel that's there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

I don't think you could put saves or anything on the SD card; I think that slot exists solely for Wii Mode compatibility

Look at it as an opportunity to get a Switch and replay it on that while you take shits and ride the bus.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
At the same time.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Captain Kevbo posted:

Make lots of noise and take no prisoners.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Look at it as an opportunity to get a Switch and replay it on that while you take shits and ride the bus.

I just bought a gaming PC...my wife has straight up forbidden me to buy a switch for a while.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I just bought a gaming PC...my wife has straight up forbidden me to buy a switch for a while.

You have chosen.... poorly.

With the PC I mean, your wife sounds sensible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

You have chosen.... poorly.

With the PC I mean, your wife sounds sensible.

I definitely will be getting a Switch someday. (The day we know when Smash launches) But until then I'm making do with Wii U/3DS

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Put your Metal Gear skills to use and backstab every last jerk there. It was cathartic as gently caress to stroll through that place with every enemy gone.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jivjov posted:

Your wife isn't down for buying a Switch but is down for double the amount in amiibo purchases? I'm confused.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

Your wife isn't down for buying a Switch but is down for double the amount in amiibo purchases? I'm confused.

Buying amiibo is $12-$15 every few weeks, not $300 (plus games and controllers and whatnot) in one go.

Oh, and by the way...my BotW save is, in fact, gone. It's not saved on system memory.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

We all thought you were playing on Switch, that's why we thought you still had it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alxprit posted:

We all thought you were playing on Switch, that's why we thought you still had it.

Stands to reason that the two systems might have handled the save the same way. I'm not sure if I even want to start a new file or not. Might just watch some YouTuber play the DLC content or something.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

jivjov posted:

Stands to reason that the two systems might have handled the save the same way. I'm not sure if I even want to start a new file or not. Might just watch some YouTuber play the DLC content or something.

just wait til you have it on switch so theres distance. absence makes the heart grow fonder

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Which is weird to me because I didn't think the Switch supported external HDDs, only SD cards.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just picked this up and the game is amazing. Like in a refreshing, put down the OCD collectathon and chip away at things in your own way at your own pace kind of amazing.

I'm still getting used to it and learning the ropes (i just got to Kakariko village after following the directions via the stables), but does the game naturally get easier as i make my way through it?

I'm coming across a lot of situations that i feel totally overwhelmed by (like those grey bobokins), but to be fair, i've only just discovered the cooking side of things because i must have skipped/missed something that explained the way to make food.

That being said, i'm finding that a bit overwhelming at the minute too because i've no idea what i should and shouldn't mix for the best effects.

Basically, is this like other Zelda games where i'll naturally grow into a walking killing machine or is it more tactical from beginning to end?

Also, what should i be doing as a general 'top of the list of things to do' in order to get more powerful?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You will, generally speaking, get more powerful over time because you'll start finding better weapons and armor and such; and if you max out your health you probably won't have to worry about dying too terribly often. But getting to that point is half the fun.

As far as "things you probably should do" I think you've already completed that. General advice is to follow the plot til you reach Kakariko and then just go off and do whatever looks interesting.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

jivjov posted:

You will, generally speaking, get more powerful over time because you'll start finding better weapons and armor and such; and if you max out your health you probably won't have to worry about dying too terribly often. But getting to that point is half the fun.

As far as "things you probably should do" I think you've already completed that. General advice is to follow the plot til you reach Kakariko and then just go off and do whatever looks interesting.

I'd extend that to the town after Kakariko too :0)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Awesome.

I take it the health maxing route is tied to those shines/orbs instead of bosses this time around?

That first statue at the temple of time offered me hearts or stamina. Is this a game that makes me choose one over the other or will i eventually max out both?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Kin posted:

I just picked this up and the game is amazing. Like in a refreshing, put down the OCD collectathon and chip away at things in your own way at your own pace kind of amazing.

I'm still getting used to it and learning the ropes (i just got to Kakariko village after following the directions via the stables), but does the game naturally get easier as i make my way through it?

I'm coming across a lot of situations that i feel totally overwhelmed by (like those grey bobokins), but to be fair, i've only just discovered the cooking side of things because i must have skipped/missed something that explained the way to make food.

That being said, i'm finding that a bit overwhelming at the minute too because i've no idea what i should and shouldn't mix for the best effects.

Basically, is this like other Zelda games where i'll naturally grow into a walking killing machine or is it more tactical from beginning to end?

Also, what should i be doing as a general 'top of the list of things to do' in order to get more powerful?

Getting new armor and upgrading to level 2 it is a big one*. Most village shops have at least one set of armor. Naturally these vary from defense oriented to weaker but special effect oriented. Upgrading them will involve finding certain beings, you may be able to get a hint about your first one in Kakariko village.

Learning cooking is the second big secret to being stronger. Fortunately it's not that difficult, the simple truth is that each recipe can only have one type of buff, so mixing buffs is pointless. Other than that it's pretty straightforward "higher quality = more hearts, more special effect ingredients = stronger/longer buff". There are a few special recipes you can find in books, and a couple secrets beyond that, but over all that's the whole system.

In general, just try a thing and it will probably work, having a big arsenal of absurd things you can do in combat helps a lot in this game. Have you tried shooting the bow in midair? What about hitting a pepper with a fire weapon to create wind? There's a lot of little tricks like that, this game has an absurd number of things that work that you would never expect them to have programmed in.

Note that once you get good enough, you can totally choose armor for fashion and beat things in all sorts of absurd ways without ever cooking, but just starting out those will help a lot.

* Not all armors get special effects at level 2, but most do.

Kin posted:

Awesome.

I take it the health maxing route is tied to those shines/orbs instead of bosses this time around?

That first statue at the temple of time offered me hearts or stamina. Is this a game that makes me choose one over the other or will i eventually max out both?

4 orbs lets you choose health or stamina at any statue like the one you found on the plateau. You'll have enough orbs to be down either 2 pieces of a stamina wheel, or two hearts (three if you don't have the DLC). It's... slightly obnoxious, but there you go. That's if you bother to do every shrine.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 11, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kin posted:

Awesome.

Mostly shrines. But bosses still drop heart containers; as is tradition.

Edit; also, given the choice, max out stamina and leave your health bar short.

Food that grants bonus health and stamina work a bit differently from each other. Bonus stamina gets added on as a separate yellow wheel, and you can still get these yellow wheels even if you have maximum "normal" green-ring stamina. Hearts have a hard cap ______of 30_____ and eating food that gives you bonus yellow hearts cannot take you past that cap.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 11, 2018

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

There might not be a way to do this, but can i also switch the ZL/R buttons with the LR buttons?

I found an option to do that with the jump button so it felt more natural, but for the life of me i always seem to fuckup the bomb throwing/bow because my instinct is to use the trigger buttons rather than the shoulder buttons for their standard functions. The whole control style feels a little dyslexic.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

jivjov posted:

Mostly shrines. But bosses still drop heart containers; as is tradition.

Edit; also, given the choice, max out stamina and leave your health bar short.

Food that grants bonus health and stamina work a bit differently from each other. Bonus stamina gets added on as a separate yellow wheel, and you can still get these yellow wheels even if you have maximum "normal" green-ring stamina. Hearts have a hard cap ______of 30_____ and eating food that gives you bonus yellow hearts cannot take you past that cap.

I'm also just getting into the game and on the way to the village. The advice I received is max hearts to get the master sword. Why your suggestion over that?

Any advice on managing weapons? I feel like I'm avoiding using anything decent since everything breaks stupid easy. How should I approach weapon management or not at all?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Because maxing out stamina maximizes your exploration potential. The Master Sword... well, there's really no need to get it as soon as possible; it's just a medium strength sword that regenerates (after 10 minutes) when broken, though it gets upgraded later on after you do what's possibly the hardest challenge in the game.

In general you'll find weapons faster than you can use them up, so go wild. But also, experiment with other ways to deal with enemies than head-on confrontations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TraderStav posted:

I'm also just getting into the game and on the way to the village. The advice I received is max hearts to get the master sword. Why your suggestion over that?

Any advice on managing weapons? I feel like I'm avoiding using anything decent since everything breaks stupid easy. How should I approach weapon management or not at all?

Master Sword Spoilers: you don't need max health to get the sword

More specific: it takes 13 hearts to pull the sword, so you need to have 14 to survive it. This is less than half of the maximum possible

As for weapon management: use poo poo til it breaks, find new poo poo. The only stuff I would suggest actively conserving is an elemental weapon or two to have in case of emergency; especially fire stuff.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

jivjov posted:

More specific: it takes 13 hearts to pull the sword, so you need to have 14 to survive it. This is less than half of the maximum possible

As for weapon management: use poo poo til it breaks, find new poo poo. The only stuff I would suggest actively conserving is an elemental weapon or two to have in case of emergency; especially fire stuff.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice you two. I pictured the master sword being the best so wanted to rush to it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Awesome. Thanks for the advice you two. I pictured the master sword being the best so wanted to rush to it.

the best is not using a weapon at all

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

jivjov posted:

You don’t need 14 because it specifically costs 12.75.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
upgraded master sword is fantastic and totally worth the quests to get it, IMO.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zoran posted:

You don’t need 14 because it specifically costs 12.75.

Oh really? Well, guess I was off by 1 then

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Oh really? Well, guess I was off by 1 then

To the nerd gulag with you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Recently hit the 90-hour mark on my second playthrough of this game. It's so good. I can't remember the last time I played a game that had such a nice and enjoyable and relaxing and interesting world to just exist inside of.

But, man, I've posted about this before, but it still drives me totally nuts that none of the special recipes (i.e. the recipes involving 3-5 ingredients, wheat, butter, rice, etc.) really do anything that 5-stacks of meat don't.

It seems like such a weirdly missed opportunity, that the developers would create an in-depth cooking system including all these obscure recipes you had to explore to discover, and then gives the player absolutely no incentive to use them outside of a handful of quests.

All I ask for is a meaningful reason to cook unagi don in-game.