Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Nobody disputed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

His back is hosed up?

mangosteen poisoning

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Megaman more like megatrash.

This is correct and good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

His back is hosed up? I thought it was something more exotic from the comments I saw people making.

"his back is hosed up" is the most genteel way you could put it, his skeleton is basically imploding + his wife was just diagnosed with lupus

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Oxxidation posted:

"his back is hosed up" is the most genteel way you could put it, his skeleton is basically imploding + his wife was just diagnosed with lupus

Holy poo poo, really? Goddamn I feel bad for them.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Oxxidation posted:

Aww man :(

Where was this posted?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

His back is hosed up? I thought it was something more exotic from the comments I saw people making.

There's more info here, kinda hidden a few lowtax posts in. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850231

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

People are now paying $10 to post pictures of cats in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851374. That’s ten additional dollars, on top of the $10 you’ve already paid to post pictures of cats in all the other threads on SomethingAwful.

The accelerating death spiral of these forums is the real saga.

Aww, a cat picture fundraiser? That's adorable! :3:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Holy poo poo, really? Goddamn I feel bad for them.

This is the price you wind up paying for not drinking the damned Malort!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

People are now paying $10 to post pictures of cats in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851374. That’s ten additional dollars, on top of the $10 you’ve already paid to post pictures of cats in all the other threads on SomethingAwful.

The accelerating death spiral of these forums is the real saga.

You're either oblivious or an rear end in a top hat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think he was just trying to encourage people to participate in a humorous fashion.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

I think he was just trying to encourage people to participate in a humorous fashion.

Sometimes here it's like trying to communicate with aliens from like Jupiter, we should be able to get it but we're never sure and we gently caress up every time we assume we do understand.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
How come the forums (and medical expenses) aren't being funded through gofundme, kickstarter, indiegogo or patreon, but through donations and forums functions? I've seen the Gaming Garbage patreon, but that seemed to be paying for youtube videos that were somehow funding the forums.

There are people on this forum with Ferraris that post here instead of the Ferrari forums because it's nicer here. There are multiple posters in SH/SC who make 100-200k and have gotten their jobs or the training to do it through the forums.

The whales to fund this place are out there, and there are so many ways to fund it that at some point it seems like an active choice not to use them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

evobatman posted:

How come the forums (and medical expenses) aren't being funded through gofundme, kickstarter, indiegogo or patreon, but through donations and forums functions? I've seen the Gaming Garbage patreon, but that seemed to be paying for youtube videos that were somehow funding the forums.

There are people on this forum with Ferraris that post here instead of the Ferrari forums because it's nicer here. There are multiple posters in SH/SC who make 100-200k and have gotten their jobs or the training to do it through the forums.

The whales to fund this place are out there, and there are so many ways to fund it that at some point it seems like an active choice not to use them.

lowtax has a bizarre aversion to using any of the third-party crowdfunding services and prefers people use the Donation link on the upper-right hand corner of the screen that i don't think i ever noticed since the day i registered

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

lowtax has a bizarre aversion to using any of the third-party crowdfunding services and prefers people use the Donation link on the upper-right hand corner of the screen that i don't think i ever noticed since the day i registered

I'm going to guess it's being burned by PayPal during Katrina.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ooh, right, i remember that

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

i don't have a paypal to this day because of that bullshit

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Plus he's mentioned that the cut that the credit card processor takes is way less than what GoFundMe or Patreon or whatever takes.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

evobatman posted:

Patreon etc take a pretty loving big cut of the donations and something like >30% of Patreon monthly donations fail to go through IIRC.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Aww man :(

Where was this posted?

There was a thread in January after he started tweeting about his health. The tweets don't link anymore though, since he got banned.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847529

quote:

Anyway I have a ton of problems with my neck and spine, like no cartilage between C5-C7, and a completely straight spine, and bone spurs pushing into my arteries, so I'm going to have to undergo a lot of surgery and physical therapy. Whee!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
there was a goon who led the cops on a multi-state car chase, which ended when he crashed

he then got out of the car and charged the police, at which point they shot him with rubber bullets and tased him

he ripped the taser leads out of his chest and continued his charge, only to be taken down by two (?) police dogs

does anyone remember this? it was Him. he was the Goon. it was the Prophecy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oxxidation posted:

He has actively told people to donate to that unrelated Patreon for Gaming Garbage or whatever despite it having no sign of actually being used to fund this here site, I am kind of confused by his attitude towards it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

there was a goon who led the cops on a multi-state car chase, which ended when he crashed

he then got out of the car and charged the police, at which point they shot him with rubber bullets and tased him

he ripped the taser leads out of his chest and continued his charge, only to be taken down by two (?) police dogs

does anyone remember this? it was Him. he was the Goon. it was the Prophecy.

i recall the same guy once operated the goons_txt twitter account

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dillbag posted:

Plus he's mentioned that the cut that the credit card processor takes is way less than what GoFundMe or Patreon or whatever takes.

Yeah but you don’t know if the reach of those platforms will outweigh that or not.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

something like >30% of Patreon monthly donations fail to go through IIRC.

Arguably this is the expected side effect of gating one time items behind a monthly paywall; if you aren't producing monthly, people are gonna buy prepaid cards to get the content and then never recharge them.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i recall the same guy once operated the goons_txt twitter account

No that was the goon who got charged for assaulting an officer because he drunkenly pushed a cop while hosting an underage drinking party and killed himself rather than pay $1000 to get the charges dropped in pretrial intervention which would have been assured

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is the price you wind up paying for not drinking the damned Malort!

who the gently caress would say no to Malört?!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He has actively told people to donate to that unrelated Patreon for Gaming Garbage or whatever despite it having no sign of actually being used to fund this here site, I am kind of confused by his attitude towards it.

You are mistaken.
https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the escape goat posted:

who the gently caress would say no to Malört?!
What's the deal with Malort? I visited Chicago and everyone was real excited to have me drink Malort.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

same; I ended up really liking it and everyone seemed disappointed but not as disappointed as I am now that I can't get a bottle of it

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
What ever happened to the cystic fibrosis goon? Is he still alive?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tangents posted:

There was a thread in January after he started tweeting about his health. The tweets don't link anymore though, since he got banned.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847529

Lowtax got banned from Twitter? That was basically his life. And that on top of all the health stuff. :smith:

Also this is Twitter, that still hosts actual loving white supremacists shitheels like Richard Spencer.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lowtax got banned from Twitter? That was basically his life. And that on top of all the health stuff. :smith:

Also this is Twitter, that still hosts actual loving white supremacists shitheels like Richard Spencer.

He was suspended again? loving twitter, man.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Being a sickgoon counts as a "saga" these days?

--This post brought to you from inside a dialysis chair.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Ghostlight posted:

What's the deal with Malort? I visited Chicago and everyone was real excited to have me drink Malort.

Malort is a Ponzi scheme. Once someone makes you try it, a switch is flipped in your brain compelling you to share it with as many other people as possible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Patreon etc take a pretty loving big cut of the donations and something like >30% of Patreon monthly donations fail to go through IIRC.

A cosplayer couple I know were having problems with people pledging on Patreon long enough to get access to download their content, then bailing before they got charged. They had to do stuff to get around it and encourage real donations, like one sends content in Dropbox links when payment is processed and the other deletes her feed every month so new pledges can't get everything.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

Malort is a Ponzi scheme. Once someone makes you try it, a switch is flipped in your brain compelling you to share it with as many other people as possible.

Basically this. A Chicago Handshake is a shot of Malort and an Old Style tall boy. Order it at your favorite Chicago dive bar!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

A cosplayer couple I know were having problems with people pledging on Patreon long enough to get access to download their content, then bailing before they got charged. They had to do stuff to get around it and encourage real donations, like one sends content in Dropbox links when payment is processed and the other deletes her feed every month so new pledges can't get everything.

I know Patreon used to only charge at the beginning of a new month or something, but it let people see the content before then? That's pretty stupid.

They do charge immediately now so I guess it avoids that (except for straight up fraud), though that has its own issues where it discourages pledging late in the month.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

I don't remember his username but if this is the guy you mean, yeah, he got his lungs and is doing great.

https://www.facebook.com/JamesQuestForLungs/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

I know Patreon used to only charge at the beginning of a new month or something, but it let people see the content before then? That's pretty stupid.

They do charge immediately now so I guess it avoids that (except for straight up fraud), though that has its own issues where it discourages pledging late in the month.

Yeah, they would let you sign up and view anything you wanted but wouldn't charge you until a certain date. With people who used it for posting NSFW stuff, lots of guys would sign up for the few minutes it took to download everything and then cancel.