Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mordiceius posted:

And how does that make the character relevant to modern audiences?

In a world where Iron Man and Black Panther ended up the most well known superheroes, why is anyone asking this question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

wyoming posted:

In a world where Iron Man and Black Panther ended up the most well known superheroes, why is anyone asking this question?

It’s impossible to know, but I would venture to bet that even pre-2008, more people in the general audience demographic would be familiar with Iron Man than Captain Marvel/Shazam.

Both Iron Man and Black Panther, however, are also something different than the standard fare, I feel.

At most, everyone here has described Shazam as “Superman by the way of Big.” I’m curious how they will sell the character so people don’t just read him as “oh it’s a Superman knock off” because that’s how the character feels.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well he literally is a Superman knock off, buy "by way of Big" is a pretty big character differential.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Guardians Of The Galaxy made literally all of the money in the world, and that's a movie about a talking raccoon and sentient tree with zero public foot print pre-release.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Another way the Captain Marvel comic is historic, the Monster Society Of Evil storyline was the first multi-issue spanning story arc.

A big mystery was the identity of Mr. Mind, who communicated via radio. He had many minions, one of which was Adolf Hitler. In the end, Mr. Mind ended being a caterpillar. When they caught him he was tried in court and was given the electric chair and his body was placed in a museum.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

It’s impossible to know, but I would venture to bet that even pre-2008, more people in the general audience demographic would be familiar with Iron Man than Captain Marvel/Shazam.

Both Iron Man and Black Panther, however, are also something different than the standard fare, I feel.

At most, everyone here has described Shazam as “Superman by the way of Big.” I’m curious how they will sell the character so people don’t just read him as “oh it’s a Superman knock off” because that’s how the character feels.

are you concerned that dc won't be able to sell shazam to other people or are you concerned that dc won't be able to sell shazam to you

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

Another way the Captain Marvel comic is historic, the Monster Society Of Evil storyline was the first multi-issue spanning story arc.

A big mystery was the identity of Mr. Mind, who communicated via radio. He had many minions, one of which was Adolf Hitler. In the end, Mr. Mind ended being a caterpillar.

That's cool.

Detective No. 27 posted:

When they caught him he was tried in court and was given the electric chair

...oh, well he was working with Hitler so I suppose

Detective No. 27 posted:

and his body was placed in a museum.

...huh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

That's cool.

...oh, well he was working with Hitler so I suppose

...huh.

I should have posted pictures.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It's OK, bugs aren't people

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hodgepodge posted:

I wonder if that's a printing thing, or a form of shading?

Weirdest thing about it is even though the plates are out of register, none of that explains what the gently caress happened to the top left side dude's head. Well, top RIGHT side of HIS head. Above his ear. You can see the mis-registration of color but the black just kind of stops, like Tawny just loving bit a chunk of his skull off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite thing about those three panels is that he turns into Captain Marvel to read the newspaper

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

My favorite thing about those three panels is that he turns into Captain Marvel to read the newspaper

Wisdom of Solomon is a good idea to read between the lines. Plus, broadsheets are pretty big for a child.

I hope they have Captain Nazi as a full on riff on Steve Rogers. Have him kept in stasis since WW2, maybe he fought Wonder Woman back in the day.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

they won't do captain nazi cause they wouldn't be able to sell toys of him

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

they won't do captain nazi cause they wouldn't be able to sell toys of him

In the US? They'd fly off the shelf

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Just change his logo to Pepe the frog

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

I should have posted pictures.

I am losing my drat mind over this.

...the gently caress kind of kill count does Mr. Banjo have??

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All I have is anecdotes I guess, but I saw BP last week for the first time with a group of about ten people seeing it their third or fourth time. And after the film they really about other films coming out, of which infinity War was just another in a list. They were definitely all going to see it but not three or four times.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Schwarzwald posted:

I am losing my drat mind over this.

...the gently caress kind of kill count does Mr. Banjo have??

Mr. Banjo was an evil Nazi banjo player who used his banjo music to transmit Allied troop movements over the radio

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

corn in the bible posted:

Mr. Banjo was an evil Nazi banjo player who used his banjo music to transmit Allied troop movements over the radio

Honestly old school Fawcett stuff is so batshit crazy I'm 50/50 on this being a joke.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fart City posted:

Guardians Of The Galaxy made literally all of the money in the world, and that's a movie about a talking raccoon and sentient tree with zero public foot print pre-release.

It's also a cast of characters that is dramatically different than what is already out there instead of "wannabe Superman."

Brother Entropy posted:

are you concerned that dc won't be able to sell shazam to other people or are you concerned that dc won't be able to sell shazam to you

Both. :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fart City posted:

Honestly old school Fawcett stuff is so batshit crazy I'm 50/50 on this being a joke.

It is completely true. Mr. Banjo is the folk music equivalent of an Enigma machine.

Also one time there was a story about Mr Mind's new book, Mind Kampf

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

It's also a cast of characters that is dramatically different than what is already out there instead of "wannabe Superman."

So your argument is that a cast of profoundly weird and extremely fringe characters was an easier sell than a character that bares a conceptual similarity to one of the most indelible pop culture icons in history? I don't know, man.

Also one time there was a story about Mr Mind's new book, Mind Kampf

Holy poo poo.

Are there are any comprehensive trades out there of this stuff? It sounds extremely my jam.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think theres a bunch of print collections out there, since the originals are public domain afaik. No idea what their quality is, however.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 12, 2018

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A few people in this thread think that Captain Marvel/Shazam is actually a known character to the general public?

Some of y'all need to get out of your bubble.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

A few people in this thread think that Captain Marvel/Shazam is actually a known character to the general public?

Some of y'all need to get out of your bubble.

I don't recall anyone saying that. I, and other posters have said Captain Marvel was wildly more popular than Superman in his heyday. Which was 60+ years ago.

Edit: That said, he had a live action show that children of the '70s seem to recall fondly.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 12, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I don't think he's a known character, but I don't think that means he can't be sold to the public. I think he has more presence in the public sphere that GOTG did at the time of the release of their first movie, though. Shazam has shown up in videogames and stuff. And there was the television show in the 70's. Even so if you showed someone on the street a picture of Shazam and asked them who he was, I'd say there's a better than average chance a few people would say "Superman."

I just disagree with the idea that the character is a tough sell. I think the concept, if played right and marketed correctly, will easily find an audience. I mean, it's basically Wish Fulfillment: The Character.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You have Billy Batson point to the sky, say "Shazam!", and turn into Captain Marvel, and I'm sure there's more than a few people who have some idea of the character.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

I don't think he's a known character, but I don't think that means he can't be sold to the public. I think he has more presence in the public sphere that GOTG did at the time of the release of their first movie, though.

Yeah, whether he's a "known" character is pretty much only useful in generating buzz in the lead in the the premiere, after the film's success pretty much totally reliant on whether it's any good. Having people post poo poo on social media like "OMG you've got to see this new movie, the talking raccoon is an absolute riot!! [crying while laughing emoji]" is way more effective at selling tickets than someone going "Huh, I think I remember that character from a cartoon I saw when I was a kid"

There's plenty of films of characters that were really well "known" but didn't connect with audiences and underperformed at the box office. Hollywood is desperate to grab hold of any IP that holds any amount of cultural cachet/nostalgia and reboot the living gently caress out of it as quickly as possible but that's always a gamble.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fart City posted:

So your argument is that a cast of profoundly weird and extremely fringe characters was an easier sell than a character that bares a conceptual similarity to one of the most indelible pop culture icons in history? I don't know, man.

Yes, because it's something different.

There is a massive difference between "look at this completely bonkers cast of characters, follow their story" and "look at this guy that is basically superman, follow his story." The former is far more interesting than the latter.

Fart City posted:

I don't think he's a known character, but I don't think that means he can't be sold to the public. I think he has more presence in the public sphere that GOTG did at the time of the release of their first movie, though. Shazam has shown up in videogames and stuff. And there was the television show in the 70's. Even so if you showed someone on the street a picture of Shazam and asked them who he was, I'd say there's a better than average chance a few people would say "Superman."

I just disagree with the idea that the character is a tough sell. I think the concept, if played right and marketed correctly, will easily find an audience. I mean, it's basically Wish Fulfillment: The Character.

This character was massively popular 40-50 years ago, so the the 18-30 demographic will totally know who he is!

All super hero movies are already "Wish Fulfillment: The Character"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, whether he's a "known" character is pretty much only useful in generating buzz in the lead in the the premiere, after the film's success pretty much totally reliant on whether it's any good. Having people post poo poo on social media like "OMG you've got to see this new movie, the talking raccoon is an absolute riot!! [crying while laughing emoji]" is way more effective at selling tickets than someone going "Huh, I think I remember that character from a cartoon I saw when I was a kid"

There's plenty of films of characters that were really well "known" but didn't connect with audiences and underperformed at the box office. Hollywood is desperate to grab hold of any IP that holds any amount of cultural cachet/nostalgia and reboot the living gently caress out of it as quickly as possible but that's always a gamble.

My original point wasn't really about whether or not he's known by anyone, but more so, how do you market a character that is basically superman but differentiate him enough from Superman to be interesting?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mordiceius posted:

There is a massive difference between "look at this completely bonkers cast of characters, follow their story" and "look at this guy that is basically superman, follow his story." The former is far more interesting than the latter.

Also after Justice League's lackluster performance it's probably not a great idea to try and sell an upcoming movie by comparing it to Superman ....

(Although describing it as "Like Superman ..... but fun!" might work)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If they do a trailer where billy batson turns into captain marvel so he can beat up a caterpillar and his friend captain Nazi then that's a billion dollars guaranteed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mordiceius posted:

how do you market a character that is basically superman but differentiate him enough from Superman to be interesting?

There's a huge difference in tone between the two characters, especially between the recent depictions of Superman and Captain Marvel at his silliest.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm a little let down by Thor Ragnarok. Going by the trailers I was expecting it to be a decent action-comedy that also happens to look gorgeous but its at best just "alright". Theres some really good stuff in there but its just ruined by some poor lighting and a lack of some truly great jokes.

It was full of great jokes, how did you not completely lose it at the snake story?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's worth noting that a lot of what we think of as modern Superman actually is born from Captain Marvel. Marvel was popular enough they started trying to make Superman more Marvel-like (including getting Marvel writers to work on Superman. Otto Binder, one of the best known Captain Marvel writers, is also the guy responsible for characters like Braniac and was a huge influence on a lot of Superman's supporting cast. The reason they feel similar at times is because Superman was made more like Marvel. Which does make it a harder sell these days but honestly the major difference is that Superman is an adult and Marvel is a kid and that should color their adventures.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a huge difference in tone between the two characters, especially between the recent depictions of Superman and Captain Marvel at his silliest.

Yeah. Maybe it’s a tone thing. I know literally nothing about Shazam and everything I’ve seen so far just screams “dollar store Superman”.

I know the character is traditionally called Captain Marvel but are they actually using that in the movie or did they drop it entirely (to avoid any problems with Disney)? If so, it would be useful to just start using the name Shazam when talking about it to avoid confusion.

Also - I told my wife “Hey apparently a Shazam movie is in production” and her response was “Wasnt there a Shaq movie called that?”

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth noting that a lot of what we think of as modern Superman actually is born from Captain Marvel. Marvel was popular enough they started trying to make Superman more Marvel-like (including getting Marvel writers to work on Superman. Otto Binder, one of the best known Captain Marvel writers, is also the guy responsible for characters like Braniac and was a huge influence on a lot of Superman's supporting cast. The reason they feel similar at times is because Superman was made more like Marvel. Which does make it a harder sell these days but honestly the major difference is that Superman is an adult and Marvel is a kid and that should color their adventures.

So I wonder how it plays in the marketing. Do they market this as a kids movie? Like for 8-15 year olds or something? Because with everything that has been said, it seems like this movie should be made as “Superman for children”

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The character has been exclusively referred to as Shazam in all the DC animated movies of the last 5 years, and I'd put real money on this being one of the kids movies the rumour said they were pivoting to after everyone got fired for JL

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 12, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The character has been exclusively referred to as Shazam in all the DC animated movies of the last 5 years, and I'd put real money on this being one of the kids movies the rumour said they were pivoting to after everyone got fired for JL

Honestly that's fine, he works perfectly well as a kids' character and they can do jokes based around his alter ego being a kid or whatever. Honestly, it should really be animated.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Billy will be a kid who idolizes Superman, I'm sure they are going for this. His character in the movie will the Superman people complain they did not get in the Snyder movies, and this will be fine because they are clearly not supposed to be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Honestly that's fine, he works perfectly well as a kids' character and they can do jokes based around his alter ego being a kid or whatever. Honestly, it should really be animated.

Yeah, with everything that has been said about this character, it definitely feels more suited to be a “kids movie.” If they try to market it go 20-somethings as a core audience, I think that’s a critical mistake.