Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Like either some people remain without homes or we provide them homes. If we do the former, some fraction of them will die because of it. It's pretty laughable to compare option B to the holocaust because it doesn't also destroy capitalism, especially given that option A actually is the one that actually does result in dead homeless people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bdb should fire cops from out of town siphoning our taxes away and hire homeless to be new better cops and live at the stationhouse until enough rich people are arrested for them to have mansions

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's worth mentioning that NYC's homeless problem went into overdrive when cuomo had a non-combatitive relationship with a city mayor (bloomberg) and helped eliminate a valuable rent subsidy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I realize that living upstate without having to pay rent sounds a lot like a concentration camp to your average nyc resident but uhh, no, it's not.
spoken like someone who's never been to broome county, the rear end of upstate

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I realize that living upstate without having to pay rent sounds a lot like a concentration camp to your average nyc resident but uhh, no, it's not.

It's just rent for one year, it's nothing else. They don't give them a job or anything. They have rent free living(and who knows what that covers, exactly. What utilities do they have to pay?), but are now in a position where services for the poor are much harder to come by.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
whether it is good, bad, or indifferent to ship the homeless upstate, it is plainly illegal under NYS statute. NYC city government is breaking the law, and that is bad. They should stop breaking the law.

If we think shipping the homeless upstate is good behavior that we want to encourage, the law should be changed. But until then, they need to stop doing it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

laws suck

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

They matter and are literally the only standing between you and full fascism now

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

whether it is good, bad, or indifferent to ship the homeless upstate, it is plainly illegal under NYS statute. NYC city government is breaking the law, and that is bad. They should stop breaking the law.

If we think shipping the homeless upstate is good behavior that we want to encourage, the law should be changed. But until then, they need to stop doing it.

what’s your stance on sanctuary cities?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lawman 0 posted:

They matter and are literally the only standing between you and full fascism now

fascists use the law to rise to power.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Grondoth posted:

It's just rent for one year, it's nothing else. They don't give them a job or anything. They have rent free living(and who knows what that covers, exactly. What utilities do they have to pay?), but are now in a position where services for the poor are much harder to come by.

Is that true? They described the people involved applying for other assistance. Surely it's much easier to apply for food stamps/unemployment/etc if you have a roof over your head and a fixed address. My point isn't that giving them housing solves all of their issues - not doing so doesn't make it bad policy if it makes things better but not perfect.

Feeling that laws are important to uphold even if they're wrong is a true disagreement - I don't think we'll make headway debating that. I feel that if you are in a position to help people by breaking the law, and the consequences of doing so aren't as bad as the consequences of not doing so, then it's not only okay to break said law, it's an ethical obligation.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Is that true? They described the people involved applying for other assistance. Surely it's much easier to apply for food stamps/unemployment/etc if you have a roof over your head and a fixed address. My point isn't that giving them housing solves all of their issues - not doing so doesn't make it bad policy if it makes things better but not perfect.

With what public transportation in the densely populated, easily walkable upstate NY?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

that's literally the opposite of how fascism works

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Broome County is around Binghamton - isn't that an extremely depressed part of Upstate? Even in Albany and environs I don't know that there are many opportunities for a temporarily housed person to make progress, and most new construction is luxury apartments (which I'm not sure who is expected to populate).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Broome County is around Binghamton - isn't that an extremely depressed part of Upstate?
Binghamton is the seat of Broome County, and yes, it's incredibly depressed in more ways than one. Endicott, a suburb, was once the home of IBM, and they left years ago. The first Dick's Sporting Goods is still in Binghamton but their headquarters aren't. So right there you've got tens of thousands of jobs that were once there that up and left. The only major places of employment left are the county government and the university. Long lines to get into food pantries are a common sight- when I lived downtown at grad school, I was a couple doors down from one. Downtown is a food dessert, you have to go a mile outside of downtown in order to get to a grocery store. Also, it's almost always raining or overcast because it's on the tail end of the lake effect.

So, if you want to create opportunity for homeless people, you've got the wrong place.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

Binghamton is the seat of Broome County, and yes, it's incredibly depressed in more ways than one. Endicott, a suburb, was once the home of IBM, and they left years ago. The first Dick's Sporting Goods is still in Binghamton but their headquarters aren't. So right there you've got tens of thousands of jobs that were once there that up and left. The only major places of employment left are the county government and the university. Long lines to get into food pantries are a common sight- when I lived downtown at grad school, I was a couple doors down from one. Downtown is a food dessert, you have to go a mile outside of downtown in order to get to a grocery store. Also, it's almost always raining or overcast because it's on the tail end of the lake effect.

So, if you want to create opportunity for homeless people, you've got the wrong place.

Yeah, it's important not to forget the reason so many poor people flock to big cities like New York: that's where the jobs are, that's where the sheer mass of people are you can live with, or beg from, or work for, or sell to.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

also, the Ottawa Senators used to have their minor league affiliate in binghamton, and a swedish prospect hated living there so much that he talked poo poo about it to swedish-language media

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/poozer87/status/972317668438142976

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

How hard is it to get around? A big issue I saw in Chautauqua county was loving GETTING places. Without a car, it was very very hard to even pick things up. People were hitchhiking to get to court dates, and this was in 2012.

That, BTW, is one of the reasons why it's harder to get aid in rural areas. There are services and lots of people trying very hard to help, but it's much harder to get to them, and much harder for them to find you. Even if you have a house, it is difficult(and expensive) to get to the places you need to go. This is nothing less than NYC shirking it's responsibility to its poor. They're not shipping them off to rich suburbs who get upset, they're sending them to a shell of a city to make themselves look better.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's a bus system in Broome County and a fair amount of people use it. i did when i lived there because i didn't have a car (and still don't)

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I guess I shouldn't be shocked that NYC posters unwittingly turned this into the Guillotine.txt thread

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Sheen Sheen posted:

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that NYC posters unwittingly turned this into the Guillotine.txt thread

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
But galaxy brain is correct.

Anyway, in other news:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/972674731248844800

Luv 2 subtweet the mayor and call him a racist

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

But galaxy brain is correct.

Anyway, in other news:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/972674731248844800

Luv 2 subtweet the mayor and call him a racist

https://twitter.com/LisaCiacci/status/972677220610334721

LOL

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my Italian mom is like a big mario cuomo groupie if that is possible and she cant talk about andrew without hissing

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Real hurthling! posted:

my Italian mom is like a big mario cuomo groupie if that is possible and she cant talk about andrew without hissing

Same tbh.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

on a related note: the pettiness and mockery coming from cuomo and his surrogates over cynthia nixon's proposed primary challenge is disgusting. their view seems to be that he cannot be challenged or criticized from within his own party at all, and you're a saboteur if you do. take this quote from ruben diaz sr. in an event where they gave cuomo an award for his help rebuilding puerto rico, which probably didn't even have much of an effect:

quote:

I have to recognize what Cuomo has done. I tip my hat to him … It’s sending a message to Cynthia Nixon about where the Latino leadership stands. That’s what politics is all about.
there's no need to drag her into this at all. he could have just tipped his gigantic loving cowboy hat at cuomo and leave it at that. but cuomo is every bit as thin skinned and petty as trump so obviously that wasn't an option

for all the problems that NYCHA has, the response from city council members like robert cornegy was to tattle to Daddy Cuomo. nothing will be done with their new absolute authority over the organization, it'll just be used for political score settling while the tenants get hosed over by a different person

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm not surprised. for all his flaws, mario cuomo was the last prominent holdout against the neoliberalization of the democratic party. his son has inherited none of his positive traits. there should be a paternity test to see if he was adopted

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

on a related note: the pettiness and mockery coming from cuomo and his surrogates over cynthia nixon's proposed primary challenge is disgusting. their view seems to be that he cannot be challenged or criticized from within his own party at all, and you're a saboteur if you do. take this quote from ruben diaz sr. in an event where they gave cuomo an award for his help rebuilding puerto rico, which probably didn't even have much of an effect:

there's no need to drag her into this at all. he could have just tipped his gigantic loving cowboy hat at cuomo and leave it at that. but cuomo is every bit as thin skinned and petty as trump so obviously that wasn't an option

for all the problems that NYCHA has, the response from city council members like robert cornegy was to tattle to Daddy Cuomo. nothing will be done with their new absolute authority over the organization, it'll just be used for political score settling while the tenants get hosed over by a different person

i'm not surprised. for all his flaws, mario cuomo was the last prominent holdout against the neoliberalization of the democratic party. his son has inherited none of his positive traits. there should be a paternity test to see if he was adopted

Something happens with Democrats when they get too central in the machine, it's just an affront that anyone would dare challenge them. You could see that with Clinton, too.

I hope Nixon runs and loving wins. But it's unlikely. :smith:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Something happens with Democrats when they get too central in the machine, it's just an affront that anyone would dare challenge them. You could see that with Clinton, too.

I hope Nixon runs and loving wins. But it's unlikely. :smith:
cuomo isn't central in the machine, he is the machine. he practically runs the entire state party

regardless, this reaction has moved me from "sure, i'll vote for cynthia nixon, why not" to "i'm definitely gonna vote for cynthia nixon"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cuomo isn't central in the machine, he is the machine. he practically runs the entire state party

regardless, this reaction has moved me from "sure, i'll vote for cynthia nixon, why not" to "i'm definitely gonna vote for cynthia nixon"

Yeah, I mean, it's just part of a bigger pattern. You can also somewhat see it locally, although the Albany mayoral primary debate was at least not as obnoxious. (The one I went to, not sure about the second one).

Edit:

https://twitter.com/klnynews/status/973040322019254272

:bisonyes:

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Mar 12, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only downside to cynthia nixon running is that every hack comic is going to be making the same sex and the city narrator jokes until she loses

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the only downside to cynthia nixon running is that every hack comic is going to be making the same sex and the city narrator jokes until she loses

What if she wins, though? Then we'll get at least four years of those jokes!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’d prefer four years of “Maid who Salieri hires to spy on Mozart” jokes tbh

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/972984267419594752
:3:

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Just an FYI -- Queens DSA (and I assume Bronx/Upper Manhattan) are voting on recommending her endorsement to the city organization this month. If it passes, it looks like DSA will be one of, if not the, primary groups doing groundwork for her leading up to the primary in June.

I personally think she's great and am pushing in favor, and if you're at all interested you should come out and vote, and then if it passes please please please come out and help with canvassing. Having lots of people ready and willing to put in the effort when a candidate gets our endorsement makes our endorsement that much more valuable, and in turn, makes candidates more likely to push policies we'd agree with (and make policy concessions on things they would otherwise be luekwarm on). And also it can help them win lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It just love it when one Democrat completely undermines another out of spite. That's the kind of leadership we need on the national stage.

https://twitter.com/politicony/status/973530384536408064

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Meanwhile, Percocco convicted on 3/6 charges (honest services fraud, conspiracy thereof, and solicitation of bribes; Not guilty on payment of bribes, and extortion charges.)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It just love it when one Democrat completely undermines another out of spite. That's the kind of leadership we need on the national stage.

https://twitter.com/politicony/status/973530384536408064
city council members like robert cornegy whose first response to the NYCHA crisis was "squeal to Daddy Cuomo like a bitch" need to be thrown out of office. also nothing is going to be done under cuomo so things will still be just as bad

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

city council members like robert cornegy whose first response to the NYCHA crisis was "squeal to Daddy Cuomo like a bitch" need to be thrown out of office. also nothing is going to be done under cuomo so things will still be just as bad

State control worked out great for the MTA, don't know what you're so worried about.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I got a text from the Jessica Ramos for state senate campaign.

She’s challenging Peralta, right? Is she the best candidate for that position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

How could you not like Mario after listening to something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdIqKsv624

Man his son is a disappointment