Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Alphinaud is a giant nerd and I want to shove him into a locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Hommando posted:

Alphinaud is a giant nerd and I want to shove him into a locker.

The highlight of SB was Alisaie (and my WoL in my mind) dunking on Alphinaud every opportunity they got.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Alphinaud just as he got introduced, he's such a sassy brat and I love it. Also has the best superpower, yes.

MSQ update:

- I enjoyed the Yugiri and Doma storyline
- Leviathan was great, fight was fun (compared to, say, Titan)
- I like how the game remembers that Company of Heroes pretender still exists
- Who is this Elidibus rear end in a top hat
- Dealing with some unrest in Ul'dah right now

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I was reading something online and it put in my head the mental image of someone freaking out when they discover the Warrior of Light taking a nap at the bottom of a bath or in the middle of the ocean because they don't know about the Kojin's Blessing.

Like, I've been scuba diving before, if I could sleep while underwater I totally would.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I just finished the main story tonight. Do people doing randoms actually have to put up with all those goddamn cutscenes? I mean *I* enjoyed it, but would never want to do it again.

Anyways, what should you do for gear these days once you hit 50, is it worth going out and trying to make/buy armor and weapon, or should I just quest and take what they give along the way? I have that road to 60 buff since I'm on a backwater server so I ended up halfway to level 53 just doing the story/class quests.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Schneider Heim posted:

Remember how Lahabrea was super important in ARR and the game was building him up like he was the main Ascian?

Yeah, that's actually this guy.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

I just finished the main story tonight. Do people doing randoms actually have to put up with all those goddamn cutscenes? I mean *I* enjoyed it, but would never want to do it again.

Anyways, what should you do for gear these days once you hit 50, is it worth going out and trying to make/buy armor and weapon, or should I just quest and take what they give along the way? I have that road to 60 buff since I'm on a backwater server so I ended up halfway to level 53 just doing the story/class quests.

Grab what you can from the quests. If you do roulettes and get Allagan tomestones of poetics, you can turn them into item level 120 gear at Mor Dhona, which is only 10 short of the cap for all of 2.X.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Schneider Heim posted:

The only Ascian who recognizes the concept of subtlety.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Schneider Heim posted:

I like Alphinaud just as he got introduced, he's such a sassy brat and I love it. Also has the best superpower, yes.

MSQ update:

Elidibus is an Ascian like Lahabrea, but he's not 100% on message with the rest so he's off doing his own thing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I did it. I partyfound my way to an O8S clear with over six thousand damage per second to my name. The boss didn’t even finish his last set of mechanics prior to his enrage sequence.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Redolent Masked Rose...we gotta talk about this, dude.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So I hit level 50 in BTN and this guy in Mor Dhona wants to see my tool.

Except it needs to be the primary tool and needs to be ilevel 50 or higher, except it seems like every gatherer's tool above ilevel 48 is gated behind this very quest. How do I do this? Do I just keep going and come back when I have gear from around HW? Seems like something I ought to be able to do NOW, but perhaps the quest text is inaccurate?

e: The exact quest is "Just Tooling Around"

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Nessus posted:

Except it needs to be the primary tool and needs to be ilevel 50 or higher, except it seems like every gatherer's tool above ilevel 48 is gated behind this very quest. How do I do this? Do I just keep going and come back when I have gear from around HW? Seems like something I ought to be able to do NOW, but perhaps the quest text is inaccurate?

Do your level 50 Botanist quest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

jalapeno_dude posted:

Do your level 50 Botanist quest.
SIGH. I GUESS!

Excellent name for this post, though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

I did it. I partyfound my way to an O8S clear with over six thousand damage per second to my name. The boss didn’t even finish his last set of mechanics prior to his enrage sequence.

Goddamn man, congratulations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Nessus posted:

Just so you know, that quest unlocks the ability to get the Supra and Lucis tools. The Lucis is the best non-crafted thing you'll get at 50, and it's good enough to last you until 60 without any issues.

It's also not really worth the effort. Going Rauni -> Rauni Supra is 30 NQ Redolent Logs, 1 Mastercraft Demimateria, and 2 Fieldcraft Demimateria III. Redolent Logs only appear from a single unspoiled node. It's an ARR node too so you only get to go for it once every 72 minutes. Blessed Harvest II will let you get 5x3=15 logs per node, so you'll need at least two cycles depending on your luck. The Demimateria might as well read "spend 70-100k gil" unless you've got desynth leveled up.

Okay, but that's not that bad, right? Except the Supra is okay. We want the Lucis.

Well, going Rauni Supra to Rauni Lucis is 30 HQ Redolent Logs. That's that same node, but we need HQ versions. While there's theoretically the possibility of doing Blessed Harvest II for 15 HQ logs, a more realistic scenario is Toil of the Pioneer/Ageless Words (both cost 300 GP and have the same ultimate effect of getting you one more log chop), Leaf Turn I, hit five times in a row, and then do Brunt Force and Bountiful Harvest for 2 HQ logs. Maximum 15 attempts, hopefully less.

Now to be fair, realistically, you can start off going for your 30 HQ logs and accumulate the 30 NQ ones you need for the Supra on the way, but fifteen Eorzean days worth of harvesting is still a decent chunk of real life time.

That's not all. You also need 5 Moonstones and 15 Bamboo Paper. Moonstones are 4000 company seals apiece, or one/day from the Ehcatl Nine Deliverance Quest. You're probably already taking multiple IRL days getting your logs, so just give the birds their stuff. Bamboo Paper is 600 company seals or 50 Allied Seals. Presumably you're not crazy so you'll spend company seals. 9000 seals isn't, strictly speaking, a lot; it is a non-trivial number if you're not religiously running dungeons.

So, for the low low price of 9000 company seals, 70000 gil (or equivalent), and about a week of IRL time, you can get a mainhand tool with the stats of a NQ level 60 piece at level 50. Or, you can, as of one of the recent patches, spend 7500 company seals, zero gil, and zero time, in order to get the Forager's Hatchet, a piece good enough to get you to level 52 at which point you can start using vendor gear and quest rewards.

Friends don't let friends get Lucis tools.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drat, that's a lot of poo poo! Sounds like I should do the quest and go do the HW content for it instead.

I did actually get a boatload of Bamboo Paper from that leve in Mor Dhona; I was doing it while doing calls. Relaxing.

e: I also got told about the Forager's hatchet, which hadn't shown up on the AH. Maybe nobody was selling one?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is 4.25 coming out to tommorow?

Also I finished my summoner class up to level 60 and hit trial roulette, fought Titan (Hard) and found out I really suck at it and have no idea what to do to dps it was a nightmare. I had all these summonor levels from having a 60 Scholer and sped through everything. I feel like I drank a level skip potion. Can anyone save me from embarresment

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

At level 50 SMN, cast both your dots, spam Fester then Ruin. Use pet buffs liberally. Cast shadowflare under target. Ezpz

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Nessus posted:

drat, that's a lot of poo poo! Sounds like I should do the quest and go do the HW content for it instead.

I did actually get a boatload of Bamboo Paper from that leve in Mor Dhona; I was doing it while doing calls. Relaxing.

e: I also got told about the Forager's hatchet, which hadn't shown up on the AH. Maybe nobody was selling one?

Something that has no one selling it will still have an entry on the MB (you can mark it on your wishlist and view price history). The Forager's Hatchet (and the rest of the set) is just Untradeable, so it can't be traded or put up for sale.

I did forget about the leves giving some of the items you need but unfortunately it's not an actual bottleneck item for the tools.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Alphinaud is a good boy who likes wearing his sister's clothes a little too much

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Tongues are a-wagging about the upcoming t-rex mount, but they are mistaken. At long last we are getting a Dino Rider class, and here’s to hoping it’s a dps.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

As someone who fell behind raiding and so on when I took a break, is there a baseline I'll likely need to get to for Eureka, based off Diadem/past similar things?

For reference, I'm currently sitting around 320 ilevel on 2 DPS classes

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Tongues are a-wagging about the upcoming t-rex mount, but they are mistaken. At long last we are getting a Dino Rider class, and here’s to hoping it’s a dps.

You know that gif of the tank going down a street, getting hit by an rpg, and shrugs it off while screaming it's a tank? I'm picturing it with WoL riding the T-rex.

DINO-RIDERS!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Conot posted:

As someone who fell behind raiding and so on when I took a break, is there a baseline I'll likely need to get to for Eureka, based off Diadem/past similar things?

For reference, I'm currently sitting around 320 ilevel on 2 DPS classes

The Japanese site says synced to i300 and you get some kind of new experience/leveling system there that only strengthens you within Eureka.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Seems like the way to go as any damage dealer is all 5 gems in one with how you can switch, same for healers I'm guessing unless elements play into healing somehow.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Seems like the way to go as any damage dealer is all 5 gems in one with how you can switch, same for healers I'm guessing unless elements play into healing somehow.
Pretty sure you can only rotate your board a limited number of times before you have to go recharge your magicite or whatever though. Based on the live letter it seemed like maybe you'd be dealing with multiple elements per camp and rotating your magia board to best suit what you're farming at any given time, Yoshida very deliberately pointed out that the elemental weaknesses on the board are arranged in triangles.

IDK who knows how any of this poo poo is gonna work out though, a little to early to get into FF14-11 theorycrafting

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I don't remember reading that, I'll chalk it up to them keeping english speakers in the dark on details up until release. Or maybe I missed some giant info post.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

It is ok to not like Alphinaud.

It is not ok to not like Hildebrand.

I'm not a fan of the Hildebrand boss fights because every one of them (with the exception of the latter half of Gilgamesh 2) decides to put in a gimmick that just bans me from doing any sort of damage for 15-60 seconds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I haven’t done any hildibrand in hw or sb because there aren’t any duties behind them and i don’t care too much for anime slapstick to bother doing it all.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Some of you guys seem like you'd benefit a lot from rebinding your keys instead of keeping absolutely everything on the numrow with shift/ctrl/alt modifiers and contorting your hands into pretzels.

I use 123456 QWRTAG ZXCVBN then Shift modifiers of these. All my GCDs or "Use now now now!" (Elusive Jump, Third Eye, etc) abilities are on base keybinds, most oGCDs or long cooldowns are on shift keybinds. (ESDF movement.)

they probably use mmo mice, i have 1-9 bound shift 1-9, QER, ctrl 1 and 2, alt 1 and 2 for my binds. I never set anything with the ctrl or shift modifer to WASD because if you hit shift for say shift 1 your character will stop moving because it thinks you might be trying to hit your shift W A S or D keybind. It's really dumb and wish it would do what wow does and not stop your character if you have a alt,ctrl, or shift modifer + a movement key bound as well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I played a little bit when SB first launched, tried out RDM and remember liking it, but my IRL friends stopped playing so I quit after a while.\

Rejoined just yesterday. followed the instructions in the OP, got into PBC. Any guides on figuring out this game's plot? I've always had kind of a difficult time figuring out what I should be doing in this game since literally everything is a Class and needs to be leveled.

AFAIK I was progressing through the Heavensword storyline? I'm in an icy waste and I think just unlocked flying?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven’t done any hildibrand in hw or sb because there aren’t any duties behind them and i don’t care too much for anime slapstick to bother doing it all.

Also this.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
HW Hildibrand has more Julyan and Godbert, even if main plot is kinda meh and I prefer Briardien to Cyr.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

So I played a little bit when SB first launched, tried out RDM and remember liking it, but my IRL friends stopped playing so I quit after a while.\

Rejoined just yesterday. followed the instructions in the OP, got into PBC. Any guides on figuring out this game's plot? I've always had kind of a difficult time figuring out what I should be doing in this game since literally everything is a Class and needs to be leveled.

AFAIK I was progressing through the Heavensword storyline? I'm in an icy waste and I think just unlocked flying?

IMO progressing through MSQ (the meteor icon quests, you should have a UI element telling you where your next one is) and getting a class to max is usually what a new player should be doing, there's lots to unlock and it's kind of easier to level alts when you have better access to stuff, not to mention the armoury bonus that gives more XP for anything at a lower level then your highest class. That said, if you want to avoid burning out, totally feel free to just do whatever.

As for figuring out the story...just keep going? You'll probably get enough context clues to figure out what's going on at the moment, and once you finish out Heavensward it might be easier to get a recap rather then trying to get caught up to the specific point you're at?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Annath posted:

If you're confused about what's happening in the story, you can replay cutscenes from an inn room using "The Unending Journey" or you can find some plot recaps for ARR and Heavensward via google. From the sound of things, you've just reached the Heavensward MSQ and are likely in the first area or two. You, Tataru, and Alphinaud have arrived in Ishgard, essentially in exile, and are trying to befriend some locals at this point.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The main gameplay effect of HW Hildy is to permanently deface improve Idylshire. To be fair it'd be nice to have another duty of some sort tied to it but I suspect they don't have plans to devote that much dev time to Hildy any more.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Are y'all ready for tomorrow?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Wow this Ul'dah segment of Heaven Sward loving sucks. Not only does it reset everything to the status quo, I don't even get to murder any of the smug fuckers responsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Are y'all ready for tomorrow?

I would like either that bridle for my birb or the ability to glam my birb to look like a t-rex.

(That mount is cool.)

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 12, 2018