Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shazam's appeared in the DC cartoons as well, briefly but memorably, as well as the video games and animated movies, and has a lot of low-key presence with the comic fans. (such as they are nowadays) Try reading the thread, Mordiceuius; it's a strong concept with a lot to draw from, similar enough to Superman to have most of the appeal while different enough to offer something new. Being a knockoff isn't always a bad thing so long as you make sure to play to its strengths while also differentiating yourself.

The demographic issue is another story, but I imagine it'll be very easily marketed as a family movie, with the superhero elements probably enough to draw in enough of the 20-35 crowd so long as it's actually marketed. Play up the crazy sci-fi and fantasy elements with the villains, we just had a movie make all of of the money starring Black Atlantis, people like novelty.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

Shazam's appeared in the DC cartoons as well, briefly but memorably, as well as the video games and animated movies, and has a lot of low-key presence with the comic fans.

Yeah they've been featuring him heavily in their other media, he's a pretty goofy guy. He's like Superman but he's heard of World of Warcraft and has battle cries such as "Suck on this!" !!! :dealwithit::lolplant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKsrjzWQ_-U&t=236s

(Also keep an eye on the background characters where I timestamped the video at 3:56, they're just screwing around while poo poo happens)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Burkion posted:

Captain Nazi has drugs that let him fly,

I need this movie. I'm thinking The great American history x.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bushisms.txt posted:

I need this movie. I'm thinking The great American history x.

Inspiring Nazis to do drugs? Well, at least there's precedent.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

man how are they going to sell this "robocop" poo poo he's a robot who's also a cop those are two things that already exist i'm bored now

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Equeen posted:

Black Panther just made $1 billion and is the 9th highest grossing film in US history.

When adjusted for inflation it's only 58th

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

It’s impossible to know, but I would venture to bet that even pre-2008, more people in the general audience demographic would be familiar with Iron Man than Captain Marvel/Shazam.

Both Iron Man and Black Panther, however, are also something different than the standard fare, I feel.

At most, everyone here has described Shazam as “Superman by the way of Big.” I’m curious how they will sell the character so people don’t just read him as “oh it’s a Superman knock off” because that’s how the character feels.
Does it matter if it's a knock off if the knock off is superior to the original? Captain Marvel was without question the most popular superhero before taken down by DC's legal team because he was the ultimate child power fantasy. There's no reason that's changed. Much easier for a kid to pretend they've been granted superpowers by a wizard then to imagine they're a very serious journalist who happens to be a superpowered refugee immigrant.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 12, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inflation fimglation

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Are we really having to have to explain "Superman but magic, with the alter ego being a 12 year old" and how that isn't a particularly hard sell to the target demographic of 12 year olds

Like, on what planet does anyone think a Shazam movie is being targeted at 18-34s? They're gonna make a very kid-friendly movie. It will be a bit bland, it will make decent money, Marvel stans will call it a sad attempt at aping the Marvel way, DC stans will say it is exactly where the franchise needs to go, everyone else will forget about it in three months just like every other superhero movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno, I think it would be unusual for a big studio to make one of these comic book movies and not try to sell it to the Avengers crowd. Like since when were they ok with just making reasonable money?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The Cameo posted:

Are we really having to have to explain "Superman but magic, with the alter ego being a 12 year old" and how that isn't a particularly hard sell to the target demographic of 12 year olds

Like, on what planet does anyone think a Shazam movie is being targeted at 18-34s? They're gonna make a very kid-friendly movie. It will be a bit bland, it will make decent money, Marvel stans will call it a sad attempt at aping the Marvel way, DC stans will say it is exactly where the franchise needs to go, everyone else will forget about it in three months just like every other superhero movie

The gently caress is a "stans?"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I know the character is traditionally called Captain Marvel but are they actually using that in the movie or did they drop it entirely (to avoid any problems with Disney)? If so, it would be useful to just start using the name Shazam when talking about it to avoid confusion.

So Disney/Marvel owns the trademark on the title "Captain Marvel." So while DC can have a character named "Captain Marvel" in their comics, they can't legally have a comic titled so. When DC licensed the character from Fawcett back in the '70s, they got around it by titling it "SHAZAM!" and continued to do so even after they aquired the character. The trademark "Captain Marvel" actually bounced around a few companies before eventually landing at Marvel Comics. They have to have a Captain Marvel comic every few years or they could lose the trademark. But since it's Disney and they have an iron grip over IP and a movie coming soon, that won't ever happen.

DC eventually decided to just refer to their Captain Marvel as "Shazam" entirely, but there's nothing legally stopping them from using the name within the comics. (In fact, they did when briefly bringing the OG continuity character back for an event a few years back.)

Since I am a pedant, I refer to the Disney character and thier upcoming movie as "Marvel's Captain Marvel."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Carol Danvers should die, be replaced by four heroes, come back to life, and split into two heroes with electric powers, the main one that the books follow being Captain DC

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It's on track to make significantly more money domestically than The Avengers which should make it the 4th biggest film of the last decade, the 6th biggest film of the last two decades and the 9th biggest film of the last three decades at the least. It's selling an astonishing number of tickets.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

UmOk posted:

The gently caress is a "stans?"
Someone asked this a few days ago, and someone else responded with this so I guess I will do the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY

Its a real dumb word.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Regarding Captain Marvel, don't forget that he was a fairly popular character back when the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini cartoons were going on for Superman and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited.

Lots of kids that are now adults watched those shows and will remember him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Regarding Captain Marvel, don't forget that he was a fairly popular character back when the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini cartoons were going on for Superman and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited.

Lots of kids that are now adults watched those shows and will remember him.

He was also in Young Justice, where he managed to be among the adult heroes instead of the teens despite his childlike personality. At one point became the supervisor to the title team, and it’s funny how the ‘babysitter’ was contrasted with the angst-filled main characters.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 12, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Because they didn't know he was a kid I'm pretty sure.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He only had a speaking role in one episode of JL/JLU.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Because they didn't know he was a kid I'm pretty sure.
Yeah, and because of that he almost gets kicked out of the League until Batman vouches for him.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Last time I saw Shazam in anything Superman lazered a hole in his skull (what the hell, Injustice?)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He only had a speaking role in one episode of JL/JLU.

Yeah, but the channels that ran those episodes at the time repeated the poo poo out of it. That one and the one where Dan Turpin gets vaporized by Darkseid and Superman loses his poo poo over it.

EDIT: Also, yeah, he's a pretty big deal in the Injustice comics and hipster-favorite story Kingdom Come.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cage posted:

Someone asked this a few days ago, and someone else responded with this so I guess I will do the same:

Its a real dumb word.

Holy gently caress. Earthlings are so dumb. Eminem must be rolling over in his grave

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Renoistic posted:

Last time I saw Shazam in anything Superman lazered a hole in his skull (what the hell, Injustice?)

Yeah that's basically like lazing a hole in Solomon's brain, it's sacrilege

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

UmOk posted:

Holy gently caress. Earthlings are so dumb. Eminem must be rolling over in his grave

fuckin goons honestly. poo poo has been a common piece of slang for like over 15 years now, get over yourself.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Cage posted:

Its a real dumb word.

UmOk posted:

This is some old man yells at cloud poo poo :lol:

Stan/stanning doesn’t always have the creepy vibe to it. Sometimes it just means “I like this [thing|person|etc.] despite of/in objection to the criticisms of it.” You could replace it with the word ‘apologist.’

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, and because of that he almost gets kicked out of the League until Batman vouches for him.

Figures it's the one guy who takes children to fight cannibal crocodile men and crowbar-wielding psycho clowns.

Speaking of Batman, this happened in Gotham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJtDqAtzfg
For context, Bruce is halucinating after being poisoned by a kiss from Poison Ivy (for reference, Bruce is 17 and Ivy is 12 but she was artificially aged up to resemble a sexy woman in her 20s).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The MSJ posted:

Figures it's the one guy who takes children to fight cannibal crocodile men and crowbar-wielding psycho clowns.

Speaking of Batman, this happened in Gotham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJtDqAtzfg
For context, Bruce is halucinating after being poisoned by a kiss from Poison Ivy (for reference, Bruce is 17 and Ivy is 12 but she was artificially aged up to resemble a sexy woman in her 20s. AGAIN).

Fixed that for you

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In conclusion, Gotham is most comic book of all comic book shows on TV.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone used the deepfakes engine to delete Henry Cavill's mustache using a $500 used computer and it looks much better than the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZ3W1W20bk

It's intriguing. I wonder how it would look replacing actors with other different versions themselves, like for de-aging.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Even this is bullshit, because they get to include all re-releases. Gone With the Wind and Star Wars both had a poo poo ton of re-releases, and I'm pretty sure so did Sound of Music, and E.T. had at least one.

Basically, comparing box office totals is always something that should have a huge loving asterisk next to it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't recall anyone saying that. I, and other posters have said Captain Marvel was wildly more popular than Superman in his heyday. Which was 60+ years ago.
At least one person said it:

BiggerBoat posted:

Curious myself but reasonably confident that pretty much everybody knows who Shazam is.

Regardless, I'm curious how it will tie into the current JL universe. I feel like WB has pretty much abandoned it after JL was terrible. The standalone films will probably only very loosely reference the others, if at all. They're not even using Leto in the standalone Joker movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TetsuoTW posted:

fuckin goons honestly. poo poo has been a common piece of slang for like over 15 years now, get over yourself.

I only first saw the use of "stans" or "stanning" something when it was used to refer to DCEU, Snyder, and MCU stans. I had no idea what the gently caress it meant until someone also linked me the Eminem video too :shrug: I thought it was a relatively new/mainstream thing, like "lit" or "on fleek" i.e., modern slang that blew up on social media because young people are stupid.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Someone used the deepfakes engine to delete Henry Cavill's mustache using a $500 used computer and it looks much better than the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZ3W1W20bk

It's intriguing. I wonder how it would look replacing actors with other different versions themselves, like for de-aging.

Eh, the shots only look better to the extent that they just do the upper lip, localizing the weirdness. The full-face version at the end is just as much a horror show.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A thing to keep in mind, when looking at lists like these, is that the total gross of older movies is reflecting multiple releases. Before home video starting coming into prevalence in the late 70s it was common practice to just rerelease an older movie when a studio had an empty window. Gone with the Wind had, I believe, about 10 different wide release runs in theaters. I'm not how Box Office Mojo does their inflation calculation, if they're just summing all of the gross then adjusting for inflation from the initial release or adjusting each release separately and then summing them up.

Edit: Oh, it says right on the page that the calculation isn't adjusting the revenue but number of tickets sold multiplied by the current average ticket cost.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 12, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: Justice League blu-ray trailer. Snyder is probably having a nice laugh right now. That or an aneurysm.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Edit: Oh, it says right on the page that the calculation isn't adjusting the revenue but number of tickets sold multiplied by the current average ticket cost.

Yeah, but that doesn't really change what you (and I, earlier) said. Gone With the Wind has a huge advantage that will likely keep it on top forever, with all of the re-releases it's had.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
My grandkids won't stop telling me to stop stanning. What's the deal with these whipper snappers?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's from JoJo's bizarre adventure. You are being Zack Snyder's stan

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

In conclusion, Gotham is most comic book of all comic book shows on TV.

It's very easily the best comic book TV show (give or take a Legion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

UmOk posted:

you sort of got a half-answer, not a full one

basically it's used semi-ironically, sort of like saying you're the biggest fan of something; you probably aren't actually that thing's biggest fan, but it gets the point across. if i say i'm a Run the Jewels stan, that doesn't mean I'm stalking Killer Mike, necessarily, it just means i'm insanely into them.