Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The ninja 300/650 and baby CBRs are actually modern standards, not sport bikes by seating position.

Check out cycle-ergo.com if you want to preview yourself on a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Get a bike with a sidecar imo. Room for spare tools, cans of beans, maybe even a cat carrier, plus it's very cool.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Get a bike with a sidecar imo. Room for spare tools, cans of beans, maybe even a cat carrier, plus it's very cool.

Someone else tackle this in detail please; nothing about this is a remotely good idea. Sidecar bikes are rare and fairly expensive - Urals by and large aren't cheap - and Urals in particular are unreliable heaps. Worse yet, sidecars don't allow for countersteering and leaning into turns as you're taught with a traditional motorcycle. They combine the worst characteristics of cars and motorcycles - you'll hit every pothole much like a car, they're heavy and lack maneuverability compared to a standard motorcycle, and can be very dangerous in panic-maneuver situations.

tl;dr stop trying to kill Dave

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rdb posted:

The ninja 300/650 and baby CBRs are actually modern standards, not sport bikes by seating position.

Check out cycle-ergo.com if you want to preview yourself on a bike.

Oh hey that's pretty cool. You're right about the CBR/Ninja, but the Versys is still better in terms of correct posture.

Tremek posted:

Lol pretty sure he was joking about the sidecar

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I assumed it would appeal in the same way as a biturbo, yes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Only downside of the Versys, Grom, SV650, etc is they all look like absolute garbage and if I see people riding scooters around the Centennial area that means that there's really absolutely zero reason not to get a bike I like the looks of aesthetically even if there's some aspects it may or may not do better or worse than other bikes, because yeah I have my van for transporting and the Bug in CA for the time being, so the bike isnt going to be or was ever meant for 100% use in all scenarios

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Urals and Hipster hacks are horrible pieces of poo poo. Get the Versys.

Case in point, Ukranians wouldnt willingly own Urals.... and they're $150 or better there. Think about it...

ABS and EFI.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Urals and Hipster hacks are horrible pieces of poo poo.

But yeah I get your point, the CBR and Ninja deals sound pretty good and look cool.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I assumed it would appeal in the same way as a biturbo, yes.

The Scott Sociable, the Biturbo of the '20s:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Only downside of the Versys, Grom, SV650, etc is they all look like absolute garbage and if I see people riding scooters around the Centennial area that means that there's really absolutely zero reason not to get a bike I like the looks of aesthetically even if there's some aspects it may or may not do better or worse than other bikes, because yeah I have my van for transporting and the Bug in CA for the time being, so the bike isnt going to be or was ever meant for 100% use in all scenarios

Yes, a bike is a total luxury. Brief reminder to prioritize getting your head right, get your teeth right, acquire some life skills and training that will allow you to support yourself, and figure out a longer-term strategy to survive, versus thinking about cars and motorcycles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Yes, a bike is a total luxury. Brief reminder to prioritize getting your head right, get your teeth right, acquire some life skills and training that will allow you to support yourself, and figure out a longer-term strategy to survive, versus thinking about cars and motorcycles.

Bikes are motherfucking expensive too. The bike itself might be cheap but everything inclusive? naw.
Fix your teeth, then getabike.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But yeah I get your point, the CBR and Ninja deals sound pretty good and look cool.

Absolutely. a 300 would be wheezy for a goonsized goon, but dick should be fine.

DIck, I'm also quasi local and know the poo poo out of some CAD. While in Rome...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Advice noted, but I'm basically laying on my rear end resting, talking gearhead stuff with my dad for hours on end and looking at stuff on craigslist and asking questions. Everything you said to do has been and continues to be a mutually agreed on goal, so window shopping in the meantime doesn't hurt anything or put setbacks on any of those goals either

Let he who hasnt idly browsed craigslist missed connectionsmotors cast the first stone

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tremek posted:

Someone else tackle this in detail please; nothing about this is a remotely good idea. Sidecar bikes are rare and fairly expensive - Urals by and large aren't cheap - and Urals in particular are unreliable heaps. Worse yet, sidecars don't allow for countersteering and leaning into turns as you're taught with a traditional motorcycle. They combine the worst characteristics of cars and motorcycles - you'll hit every pothole much like a car, they're heavy and lack maneuverability compared to a standard motorcycle, and can be very dangerous in panic-maneuver situations.

If PUBG has taught me anything, it's that even thinking about getting onto a motorcycle with a sidecar will cause it to burst into flames, killing all present. Bad idea.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Urals are garbage, never get one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQNecDIHSc

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Advice noted, but I'm basically laying on my rear end resting, talking gearhead stuff with my dad for hours on end and looking at stuff on craigslist and asking questions. Everything you said to do has been and continues to be a mutually agreed on goal, so window shopping in the meantime doesn't hurt anything or put setbacks on any of those goals either

Let he who hasnt idly browsed craigslist missed connectionsmotors cast the first stone

That's just it - you're burning time fantasizing versus using the time to get something done.

csb's offer is hugely generous!

In the meantime go snag the pc in the house and get this installed: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/students-teachers-educators

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tremek posted:

That's just it - you're burning time fantasizing versus using the time to get something done.

csb's offer is hugely generous!

In the meantime go snag the pc in the house and get this installed: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/students-teachers-educators

Honestly if my end goal is Nebraska some day, I'm not so sure going into computers/CAD would be the greatest idea as there's really not any demand at all whatsoever for that kind of work out there. And its not all craigslist, because my dad asks me about twice a day what job I'm going to get when I get back to Colorado and every single time he asks I'm left with I have no loving idea, I guess if I'm getting a job I have to see what's hiring and what I'm qualified for. He'll probably ask me again tomorrow too

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Deteriorata posted:

The Scott Sociable, the Biturbo of the '20s:

That owns.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Regardless of all that, teeth are already paid for in full so no decisions in either careers, education, recreation, or living situations will change me getting my mouth finished. The only thing that has any effect on that front is time and waiting out the next step (jaw molds in one month, temporary upper denture in 2 months, final implant anchors in 5 months after bone grafts heal, and final permanent teeth in 7 months). All that is already guaranteed irregardless anything else in my life.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Maybe a good first start would be building a resume. Even if the jobs your applying for only require an application, having the dates you were employed, job responsibilities and skills narrowed down is helpful. Small steps.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Regardless of all that, teeth are already paid for in full so no decisions in either careers, education, recreation, or living situations will change me getting my mouth finished. The only thing that has any effect on that front is time and waiting out the next step (jaw molds in one month, temporary upper denture in 2 months, final implant anchors in 5 months after bone grafts heal, and final permanent teeth in 7 months). All that is already guaranteed irregardless anything else in my life.

Good to hear it, dude. How's the healing coming? Not too much pain a couple weeks in I hope.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

I guess if I'm getting a job I have to see what's hiring and what I'm qualified for.

Pretty much, no point worrying about it until you get back there, if anything maybe browse CL in CO to get an idea of whats available.

Honestly as a guy who has had multiple "careers" just get something that pays well enough that you can tolerate and not hate going to work every day, don't waste time looking for the perfect job because it isn't there. Might take a few tries but you'll find something eventually, it's not so much the job as it is the people you're working with, it's hard to work with insufferable assholes even if it's it's your "dream job".

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Honestly if my end goal is Nebraska some day, I'm not so sure going into computers/CAD would be the greatest idea as there's really not any demand at all whatsoever for that kind of work out there. And its not all craigslist, because my dad asks me about twice a day what job I'm going to get when I get back to Colorado and every single time he asks I'm left with I have no loving idea, I guess if I'm getting a job I have to see what's hiring and what I'm qualified for. He'll probably ask me again tomorrow too

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but NE isn't a great place to move to. Did you know that somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of CO's workforce telecommutes to jobs now?

NE will either follow in this trend because the workforce will be cheaper than primary and secondary markets since major employers continue to flee the state, and, as you wrote, there's not much demand in Nebraska for those jobs, so it will either become a wholly dependent welfare state like much of the South, or it will adapt and allow for the information economy to take advantage of cheap labor. My uninformed prediction is it will probably end up somewhere in the middle, but that doesn't speak well for the future of Valentine at the moment.

Dave: I think you should choose to train in something a robot can't easily do over the next 35 years of your working life, and creativity and problem-solving are things you enjoy. Can you share your list of potential occupations?

With that said, as I wrote before, I believe you also need to seek therapy and treatment that will allow you to hold yourself together, which you're going to need before you can find work that's fulfilling and a long-term strategy. Expecting that you can be successful without also spending time on getting your head in the right place to manage a complex future is a major gap from my view. Are you setting up counseling/therapy in CO?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Honestly as a guy who has had multiple "careers" just get something that pays well enough that you can tolerate and not hate going to work every day, don't waste time looking for the perfect job because it isn't there. Might take a few tries but you'll find something eventually, it's not so much the job as it is the people you're working with, it's hard to work with insufferable assholes even if it's it's your "dream job".

Obtaining marketable skills (and by extension learning something about CAD, AI, virtually anything to do with technology IMO is a good start) are going to go a long way to helping Dave move out of low-value, replaceable-cog jobs and into something with more stability, security, and more broadly applicable skills that can find work in places that don't suck.

If Dave doesn't want to turn a wrench (but that's all his experience consists of) - adding skills to his repertoire and not settling for subsistence living should be the goal.

- $0.02

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
FWIW, I am a big proponent of getting a job you can tolerate and get enough time to do the stuff you love to do rather than try to find the needle in the haystack that is a job you love.

My recommendation is to figure out what kind of state job you can tolerate and move to sacramento. You can't live in the bay ona government salary, but you can in sacramento.
poo poo, the state hires mechanics. Better than living wage, benefits, 40hour weeks (hourly), vacation you're expected to use, and a pretty decent union. If you don't want to be a mechanic, we hire bssically every other job too.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Tremek posted:

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but NE isn't a great place to move to. Did you know that somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of CO's workforce telecommutes to jobs now?

NE will either follow in this trend because the workforce will be cheaper than primary and secondary markets since major employers continue to flee the state, and, as you wrote, there's not much demand in Nebraska for those jobs, so it will either become a wholly dependent welfare state like much of the South, or it will adapt and allow for the information economy to take advantage of cheap labor. My uninformed prediction is it will probably end up somewhere in the middle, but that doesn't speak well for the future of Valentine at the moment.

Dave: I think you should choose to train in something a robot can't easily do over the next 35 years of your working life, and creativity and problem-solving are things you enjoy. Can you share your list of potential occupations?

With that said, as I wrote before, I believe you also need to seek therapy and treatment that will allow you to hold yourself together, which you're going to need before you can find work that's fulfilling and a long-term strategy. Expecting that you can be successful without also spending time on getting your head in the right place to manage a complex future is a major gap from my view. Are you setting up counseling/therapy in CO?

Obtaining marketable skills (and by extension learning something about CAD, AI, virtually anything to do with technology IMO is a good start) are going to go a long way to helping Dave move out of low-value, replaceable-cog jobs and into something with more stability, security, and more broadly applicable skills that can find work in places that don't suck.

If Dave doesn't want to turn a wrench (but that's all his experience consists of) - adding skills to his repertoire and not settling for subsistence living should be the goal.

- $0.02

This is all such drat good advice. I have heard it a thousand times and never listened, so I'm still living in a van. You probably won't actually have to live in your van for long either way with such an accepting and wealthy family, but you should still probably take the advice. Or just double down on the road warrior thing and start learning more about Crime, the most broadly applicable skill of them all

Like, you've got to commit, man. Tremek has all sorts of capitalist-rear end wisdom to get you far in the system, 35 year regional employment trend projections and poo poo. You had a pretty good "manic mechanic" thing of your own going already if that's more what you're into, get a drat naked sport bike some armor and a chain, ride around doing extreme wrenching and meeting other people as interesting as you are. Convoy up with me and see how sweet seasonal countercultural migrant day labor and being stoned 24/7 can really be. Give in completely and 'work' for the government until you retire like the poster above me. World's your oyster, maaaan

Oh also a complex future is a foolish dream the system is crumbling we're all going to die learn to weld as it will benefit you not only until but throughout and after the Collapse. Bush did 9/11

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
See, Nebraska appeals to me specifically because I could easily do some sort of manual labor. I love the town, the people are nice, the world is slow and uncomplicated, and it's small town America. Cost of living is incredibly low, so some sort of agriculturally related job or the aforementioned HVAC, welding, construction, or ranch work would be enough to pay the bills and annoy DJDaddo around town every weekend. Valentine has always been remote since its inception, I don't see why tech coming or not coming to it would change the town at all. It's just low stress out there, minus the weather. And once again, I'm saying its a down the road kind of plan. Multiple years out. But since we were discussing future planning ahead, it made sense to me to maybe focus on a job path that would be in demand in both Colorado and rural America.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

See, Nebraska appeals to me specifically because I could easily do some sort of manual labor. I love the town, the people are nice, the world is slow and uncomplicated, and it's small town America. Cost of living is incredibly low, so some sort of agriculturally related job or the aforementioned HVAC, welding, construction, or ranch work would be enough to pay the bills and annoy DJDaddo around town every weekend. Valentine has always been remote since its inception, I don't see why tech coming or not coming to it would change the town at all. It's just low stress out there, minus the weather. And once again, I'm saying its a down the road kind of plan. Multiple years out. But since we were discussing future planning ahead, it made sense to me to maybe focus on a job path that would be in demand in both Colorado and rural America.

Coming from an ag background myself - learn CAD, git gud at welding, and get into the CNC end of things. You will live a comfortable life with a small mobile welding service and a shop with a bigger CNC machine to fab parts. 100000% a job market that's not disappearing anytime soon.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Are there any millwright apprenticeships in CO? You could look into something like that and after you've done your time you'd probably have enough money to buy out the machine shop in Valentine and become the local wizard.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, if you want to live comfortably in Valentine, I'd say focus on welding, machinist skill, and maybe hydraulic and diesel stuff.

Learn how to fix AG equipment and you'll be sitting pretty.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Like I said, eventual far future plans. Nowhere at all in the immediate future. Laptop is in the trailer locked up safe because my original plan had been to be gone like 2 days lol.

I may be taking the MSF down here before I return to CO, jaw is slowly healing but I really want to get back so I can get beanies mailed out. Didn't mean to be gone this long, but I hope everyone understands that I needed to get this done and that was my window to do so.

Dude getting your jaw remodeled is way more important to your long term comfort and ability to gnaw on things.

It's a good call.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Although I thought you said you didn't want to mechanic any more as it was too hard on your body? - I guess you can do manual labor anywhere. But you shouldn't do it in western Nebraska. Why?

I think most of western Nebraska, in absence of significant investments in renewable energy, is going to die a slow death, and it won't be with a bang, but with a whimper.

There's not much in Valentine but cows. The beef industry is seeing increases in consumption in the US, but also seeing lower prices for said beef so the gains in volume are muted by the lower prices at market.

Worse yet, the farming sector of Nebraska is lagging behind most of the rest of the state - see slides 13-21. Bad portents for a region entirely dependent on cows.

Other considerations; Cherry County has at $594 some of the lowest average paid weekly wages in the state; and while as a composite, Nebraska itself is squarely in the middle of the spectrum in terms of states experiencing economic growth that's completely due to growth from Omaha and its surrounding regions (note that CO is ranked #1.)

On the topic of energy investments, see the map below for a pretty clear picture of the dearth of growth that is western NE (click here for site):

Also remember you couldn't qualify for public assistance while living out there.

Long story short - I simply don't think NE is a good goal for you to aim at.

Unless you're ponying up for insurance out of pocket, the chance of you doing manual labor and having insurance is slim to none. So you won't have access to health benefits, the pay will be poo poo (but the health care premiums will continue to increase), the work includes some of the highest occupational risk of any job in the country, and there shouldn't be any compelling reason to want any of this.

Final thought: 84% of Cherry County voted for Trump, so make of that what you will.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I get what you're saying, but if it won't be Nebraska then it's gonna be some other small town middle of nowhere, America in the next 5 years because I really just don't care for urban or suburban living. I picked Valentine because it makes me feel good when I'm there, I miss it, and when I go back it won't be without resources or shelter or a plan of action. This might just be something we don't see eye to eye on, because I really don't see myself as a permanent resident of the Denver area. I yearn for the rural podunk lifestyle complete with a back field full of half assembled vehicles and coffee and pie at the diner every saturday. I don't need to be rich to be happy, but I'm not talking about making that kind of lifestyle move with $14 to my name either. It could work out just fine

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tremek posted:

- $0.02

I agree, but he still needs a job for income and can work on more skills later if he wants.

nm posted:

FWIW, I am a big proponent of getting a job you can tolerate and get enough time to do the stuff you love to do rather than try to find the needle in the haystack that is a job you love.

This in a nutshell basically

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

I get what you're saying, but if it won't be Nebraska then it's gonna be some other small town middle of nowhere, America in the next 5 years because I really just don't care for urban or suburban living. I picked Valentine because it makes me feel good when I'm there, I miss it, and when I go back it won't be without resources or shelter or a plan of action. This might just be something we don't see eye to eye on, because I really don't see myself as a permanent resident of the Denver area. I yearn for the rural podunk lifestyle complete with a back field full of half assembled vehicles and coffee and pie at the diner every saturday. I don't need to be rich to be happy, but I'm not talking about making that kind of lifestyle move with $14 to my name either. It could work out just fine

It will work out just fine, if that's where you think you'll be happy make it happen.

From what I've seen it seems like you were happiest there out of all the places you've been so far, and it seems like you could be comfortable there with a relatively decent income, and with your skills and experience that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Cool. Then train yourself to do work that's not tied to the region's success, and that will pay better than the regional median pay. Such as CAD. Then you can live like a king in podunk.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I asked my parents what our final bill will be start to finish for the entirety of my new mouth, and after the permanent teeth are installed our cost will be $4k, instead of $45k

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ok jalapenos are loving excruciating

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean, really, what were you expecting?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Every time I eat jalapeno slices I usally regret it later, but it has never stopped me from eating them ever. Sooo good on sandwiches.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Advice noted, but I'm basically laying on my rear end resting, talking gearhead stuff with my dad for hours on end and looking at stuff on craigslist and asking questions.

Use the downtime to learn a new trade.

I'm seriously stressing to learn CAD. Like others have said this opens doors. Use your mind or tax the spine.

In five-years you could be wherever you'd like to live with a fleet of welding trucks and a cnc/machine shop. You gotta want it Word of mouth carries fast and it'll make or break a business.

Alternatively? a mobile hotspot and a copy of non cloud based CAD.
This means you can haul your moto with the astro and visit tracks all around the country. Park here and there, bang out some work to keep the bank account filled.

Designing and manufacturing custom one off parts isn't going anywhere. Bonus in that you worked as a wrench for a number of years. Your mechanical intuition will be better developed than some rando that has never opened a hood. This is another marketable skill.

jalapenos are weak, ghost pepper is where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I only barely know CAD stuff but it has been extremely helpful in my various jobs. I just bought a cheap $200 3D printer and have been learning a shitload.

• Locked thread