Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

rantmo posted:

According to a mutual friend, that's 100% the real Miles, there's nothing forced or performative about him on the podcast and when I learned that I felt a palpable relief.

I'm not at all surprised. I've never felt he's come off as anything but genuine. The dude strikes me as just one of those people who gets really jazzed about his hobbies. It's refreshing and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
X-men, like Overwatch, is as gay as you want it to be.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The straights can keep Gambit tbh

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

BrianWilly posted:

The straights can keep Gambit tbh

Hard disagree. He should be the foremost X-Men bisexual dude. :allears:

(Magik, Rachel or Kitty as the foremost bisexual lady???)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Kitty if only because she’s the one who gets the most focus. Reading classic X-Men, there are times where it seems like she is the main character, and for a certain group of people it still seems like she is the most important.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 13, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Metalshark posted:

(Magik, Rachel or Kitty as the foremost bisexual lady???)

I'm pretty sure Illyana is just gay.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So as someone who never got to read older X-Men comics, what is Kitty Pryde about? Like, what makes her a great character, and what are the stories she's been in?

I know a few things from this thread like how she's always had terrible costumes, was Wolverine's sidekick at one point and dated a bunch of Peters. But my main impression of her is from recent X-Men comics where she keeps jumping from team to team. It makes me think that she's either got wishy-washy loyalties or that she's badly emulating Wolverine's gimmick of being in every team.

Metalshark posted:

Who are the other candidates for the foremost X-Men bisexual dudes? Mine would be Wolverine. Dude's been alive for a long time so there's a good chance he probably had experience playing both fields.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She was the young audience insert character so even though she's terrible people have a connection to her.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Kitty Pryde's glory days were during Claremont's original run on Uncanny. She was a thirteen year old who joined the X-Men and, through her spunk and intelligence, became the de facto heart of the team. She's a pretty well-written, relatable teen who exists as the audience identification figure and gets lots of character development. Like remusclaw says, there are a few years of the Claremont run where Kitty is almost like the main character of X-Men. She also ages in real time for a while, because this was before comics were so rigid about their sliding timescale.

Kitty was Wolverine's original teen girl protege, and the success of the Wolverine-Kitty dynamic is why writers keep repeating that pattern and throwing different teen girls at Wolverine for him to mentor. This was when Wolverine himself was still being fleshed out as a character, too, so in a sense Kitty was a way of humanising a guy who'd previously been a gruff roughneck-y cipher.

She also had heartwarming relationships with Storm, Kurt and Peter (..ish). Storm is like a surrogate mother for Kitty and there are multiple scenes where Kitty is stressed out and scared about being a superhero, so she goes and gets cuddles from Storm. She brought a lot of warmth to the team, and gave the other X-Men more emotional stakes because one of their members was a child that they had to teach, guide and protect.

As annoying as that all sounds like it might be, it actually works really well. Kitty is genuinely well-executed and gives the whole team some emotional depth. She has believable emotions and places the team's larger than life adventures in a real life context.

Nowadays, Kitty's thing is very much, "hey, remember Kitty Pryde? She's an adult now, and you loved her as a teen, and isn't it cool that now she's a competent adult who leads the X-Men?" And in that context, yeah, it is kinda cool. But if you're not already familiar with Kitty as a character and you're reading X-Men Gold, I don't think there's very much to her in that comic.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

amigolupus posted:

So as someone who never got to read older X-Men comics, what is Kitty Pryde about? Like, what makes her a great character, and what are the stories she's been in?

I know a few things from this thread like how she's always had terrible costumes, was Wolverine's sidekick at one point and dated a bunch of Peters. But my main impression of her is from recent X-Men comics where she keeps jumping from team to team. It makes me think that she's either got wishy-washy loyalties or that she's badly emulating Wolverine's gimmick of being in every team.

As far as stories go: Her first appearance is the first issue of the Dark Phoenix Saga. After that wraps up, she joins the team, there’s an issue they fight Wendigo, then Days of Future Past where she’s the main character. It really helped her out that in her first year she was in the two most iconic X-Men stories.

I’m the beginning she was the teams collective little sister, especially Storm. She served as a good audience surrogate for a long time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I wasn't alive when those books were published and wasn't a teen when I read them, but genuinely, I think Kitty works well and is likeable regardless of whether you're like, "she's the X-Man that could be me!".

I think she's valuable in part for that reason though. A lot of young readers, and teen girls especially, found their way into loving Uncanny because it featured someone like them being treated as an emotionally complicated person and having adventures with these cool rear end superheroes.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

amigolupus posted:

She's the a smart, plucky kid who grows up over the course of memorable X-Men adventures (Uncanny & Excalibur), and a lot of the recent X-comics writers grew up with her as their POV character (Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run and Bendis' run coming to mind), which has helped keep her prominent after some lulls. She also has a pet alien dragon and notable friendships with fan-favourite X-Men and related characters, and starred in some landmark runs.
In short: interesting power, prominence in Days of Future Past and Dark Phoenix as well as Uncanny #143, where she basically does Alien, pet alien dragon, lots of queer subtext*.

*It's actually essentially text.

amigolupus posted:

Who are the other candidates for the foremost X-Men bisexual dudes? Mine would be Wolverine. Dude's been alive for a long time so there's a good chance he probably had experience playing both fields.

Definitely Logan in terms of being a Gay Icon/Bear*, and Daken is actually canonically bisexual, but he's not an A-List character. Ditto for Shatterstar, so I think Gambit wins.

* and also AU James Howlett.

I missed off Mystique, Storm and Psylocke when I was considering Bi X-Women. Psylocke is on-panel, but Storm is far bigger and Yukio is pretty obvious. Mystique and Storm definitely have the name recognition though, so I guess I'd go with Mystique since she's on-panel, and Fantomelle and Mercury are hardly close.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure Illyana is just gay.

Yeah, I just assumed that there was a dude somewhere but actually...

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Storm and Callisto have had weird on-off sexual tension for like decades, too. So I guess Callisto?

e: although to be clear, Callisto is definitely gay.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Android Blues posted:

Storm and Callisto have had weird on-off sexual tension for like decades, too. So I guess Callisto?

e: although to be clear, Callisto is definitely gay.

It’s not like there has ever been a panel of storm, Callisto, and Yukio in hot tub together

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

X-treme X-Men wasn't perfect, but at the same time it was amazing and perfect.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Metalshark posted:

Yeah, I just assumed that there was a dude somewhere but actually...

I looked into it and yes, she has never shown any real interest in guys. I meaning, during New Mutants she had celeb crushes, but you can chalk that up to her being 15.

Most of the time its this

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

She was also dead and 8 years old for a long time so

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I looked into it and yes, she has never shown any real interest in guys. I meaning, during New Mutants she had celeb crushes, but you can chalk that up to her being 15.

Most of the time its this

Magik hates Quentin Quire.

Truly a very relatable character.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Sucks to see Laura go back to X-23 for marketing purposes (no way they can call her that in-universe after she rejected the name in EotS II though..?) but the creative team is fantastic, since I loved Tamaki's take on Shulkie and Cabal ruled during his ANW arc: https://news.marvel.com/comics/85712/x-23-returns-summer/ Sad to lose Taylor, but at least he's on Red still.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Laura is going back to her old code name with a new creative team

I love ANW and I’m not too thrilled by this so far. Sounds like they’re going to regress the character for some dumb reason.

E:fb

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thanks for the replies, goons! :) I can see why Kitty being the new leader of the X-Men would appeal to those who grew up reading about her.

So if Scott's Magneto now, Logan is Xavier, and Jean is somewhere in the middle, does that make Kitty the new Scott or Logan?

Metalshark posted:

Definitely Logan in terms of being a Gay Icon/Bear*, and Daken is actually canonically bisexual, but he's not an A-List character. Ditto for Shatterstar, so I think Gambit wins.

*and also AU James Howlett.

It would be pretty nice if the return of Wolverine event would give us Howlett instead of regular Logan.

EDIT:

Ugh, it's really dumb that they're walking back on Laura being Wolverine. First Sam, then Jane, and now this. Marvel's been pretty awful about regressing like this.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 14, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jane was always a limited time thing, because she's dying. She says it in her first issue.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo PISS GOD DAMNIT.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo PISS GOD DAMNIT.

Same.

Tom Taylor just posted on Facebook he’s still going to be writing Laura and Gabby in X-Men Red, so there’s that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Edmund Lava posted:

Laura is going back to her old code name with a new creative team

I love ANW and I’m not too thrilled by this so far. Sounds like they’re going to regress the character for some dumb reason.

E:fb

Ugh, this is so goddamn lame. X-23’s such a dumb loving name in the first place, who’d even want to re-use it. Piss off, Marvel, you’re rubbish.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I hope it's like Spider-Gwen and no one says the comic title in the comic. Have they announced any new Tom Taylor books? I know he's still doing X-Men Red, but is he writing anything else?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's be real, we all knew this was happening the moment they brought Logan back.

Gabby probably doesn't make it out of the current bool alive because we don't deserve fun and joy.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Let's be real, we all knew this was happening the moment they brought Logan back.

Gabby probably doesn't make it out of the current bool alive because we don't deserve fun and joy.

Tamaki makes direct reference to Gabby, so on that front we're seemingly ok at least as the Marvel article also mentions her and Jonathan before talking to Juann Cabal. I would hope for it to be a Spider-Gwen title only situation, since Taylor explicitly moved her past that (and they all knew Logan was coming back when this was approved), but it's gonna be odd if she's going by Laura, a la Jean Grey. Talon never came close to sticking, and DC have since used it plus I can't see them appending a new name to her, so perhaps they are reverting her to X-23, which would be utterly lame.

EDIT: All-New Wolverine #32 is another fantastic one-off issue, following up on the Orphans of X conclusion.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 14, 2018

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
They should call it Young Woman Logan.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Metalshark posted:

Tamaki makes direct reference to Gabby, so on that front we're seemingly ok at least as the Marvel article also mentions her and Jonathan before talking to Juann Cabal. I would hope for it to be a Spider-Gwen title only situation, since Taylor explicitly moved her past that (and they all knew Logan was coming back when this was approved), but it's gonna be odd if she's going by Laura, a la Jean Grey. Talon never came close to sticking, and DC have since used it plus I can't see them appending a new name to her, so perhaps they are reverting her to X-23, which would be utterly lame.

EDIT: All-New Wolverine #32 is another fantastic one-off issue, following up on the Orphans of X conclusion.

Gotta be a copyright thing (reverting as opposed to giving her a new codename). Can you copyright something like "X-23"? I don't know dick about this part of the law (more of a bird law guy) but I'm assuming you can, if it's like "in the context as the name of a fictional character". And obviously that returning X^23 logo is trademarked. Still mad they never changed it to Talon when they had the chance (bollocks on it "not sticking", they never even tried to use it beyond that one scene implying they were going to, retroactively making that scene a weird non-sequitur). I'd be perfectly gosh-darn fine with the title changing to "Laura Kinney: Wolverine" if they were dead-set on having an adjectiveless "Wolverine" being the title starring the hairy surly guy every mook on the street knows. Supposing I'm right, I get why they'd do it, but in-universe it's such a "gently caress you" to the character not just that she can't share the codename like the Spider-Men or the Hawkeyes, but it's basically her slave name. Christ, you can go codename-less, Jean Grey's been doing it for a long-rear end time.
I'm mostly just grumpy that this specific run is ending because it's by far my favourite Marvel title. I'd feel the same way if they handed "Thor" to literally anybody other than Aaron. No matter how good it is I'm probably gonna perceive a quality dip at least for a while.

edit: Jesus. This the day an issue comes out that includes Laura and an associate (implied) stomping a Nazi. Come on! This book is perfect in every way!

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 15, 2018

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Real Wolverine forever. Suck it non-Wolverines.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

davebo posted:

Real Wolverine forever. Suck it non-Wolverines.

Yeah, Jonathan is the best Wolverine.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Adnor posted:

Yeah, Jonathan is the best Wolverine.

I was straight up crying at his reactions to Deadpool

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As long as they build on what ANW did, it won't be terrible. It could even be good, as the team is solid.

ANW did a lot to make Laura into her own person, not controlled by trigger scent or her history, but I'm afraid that editorial might make them fall back on it.

Though best case with Logan coming back, Laura and Gabby living with him as a family unit would be just fantastic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

As long as they build on what ANW did, it won't be terrible. It could even be good, as the team is solid.

ANW did a lot to make Laura into her own person, not controlled by trigger scent or her history, but I'm afraid that editorial might make them fall back on it.

Though best case with Logan coming back, Laura and Gabby living with him as a family unit would be just fantastic.

I can't imagine Laura living with a parental figure at this point in her life.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

I can't imagine Laura living with a parental figure at this point in her life.

I think at this point in her life Laura would be the parental figure, which is why I want to see it happen.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Dropping the trigger scent was a good idea, but I think the execution was handled very badly.

I haven't read every story she's showed up in but it always seemed to me that a big part of Laura's character was her struggling to break away from other people trying to control her life or decide what she is. Her specific antagonists, even some of her allies, tend to see her as a resource to be exploited. For Kimura, that pimp, and various villains who kidnapped her, they saw her as a literal thing. For most of X-Force Logan saw her as a broken former assassin with a useful skill set that he could use. And Julian being a possessive and potentially abusive not-quite-boyfriend just deciding that she was "his" at the end of her own series.

As she moved past each of those situations she became more of a self actualized person with a sense of her own worth.

When the character was created the word hadn't yet come into popular consciousness, but I always thought it was pretty fitting that Laura could be "triggered". It's comics, so the Trigger Scent made her become an unstoppable killing machine, but the base of the idea is something I think a lot of trauma survivors have to deal with. Some small thing, unnoticeable by everyone else, could just take control at any instant. Even years after the original situation is escaped from the emotional panic still lingers.

I'd always assumed when, if ever, the writers had Laura move past the Trigger Scent it would be some big character moment. Like, in a supreme act of will she finally is able to take control of herself during a crisis. Or maybe it would have been a more subdued thing, like she's able to acknowledge the reaction, but not let it control her.

If nothing else it would be Laura herself somehow causing the change in herself. Instead it was a bunch of her friends doing something to her, against her will. She literally begs "Please don't do this"! Granted it all worked out, and it's better for Laura that she's free of it, and it was her friends and family trying to help her out of concern, not a desire to exploit her.

But narratively it was, at best, kind of meaningless for her as a character since there wasn't any choice or even visible effort on Laura's part.

And worst it affirms the motivations of most of her antagonists and negates alot of her character arc: ultimately other people are the ones who get to decide what happens to her.

edit: And even at face value it's pretty absurd. Prof X couldn't wipe that trauma from her mind? Or Emma Frost? Or the Cuckoos? It was young Jean Grey, who in story only found out she's a telepath a few months ago, and it constantly being ragged on by other telepaths as being blunt force and very unskilled. Bah.

And, like, is being hypnotised really all it takes to permanently fix PTSD? Maybe some telepath should just go sort out the Punisher. Or any of the other characters with horrible trauma they can't move past.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 15, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean... this isn't even the first time they "Destroyed all the trigger scent, all of it, absolutely none remains." I would not be surprised to see it come back, in some new strain or another, because writers don't care what other writers did.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Galvanik posted:

Dropping the trigger scent was a good idea, but I think the execution was handled very badly.

I haven't read every story she's showed up in but it always seemed to me that a big part of Laura's character was her struggling to break away from other people trying to control her life or decide what she is. Her specific antagonists, even some of her allies, tend to see her as a resource to be exploited. For Kimura, that pimp, and various villains who kidnapped her, they saw her as a literal thing. For most of X-Force Logan saw her as a broken former assassin with a useful skill set that he could use. And Julian being a possessive and potentially abusive not-quite-boyfriend just deciding that she was "his" at the end of her own series.

As she moved past each of those situations she became more of a self actualized person with a sense of her own worth.

When the character was created the word hadn't yet come into popular consciousness, but I always thought it was pretty fitting that Laura could be "triggered". It's comics, so the Trigger Scent made her become an unstoppable killing machine, but the base of the idea is something I think a lot of trauma survivors have to deal with. Some small thing, unnoticeable by everyone else, could just take control at any instant. Even years after the original situation is escaped from the emotional panic still lingers.

I'd always assumed when, if ever, the writers had Laura move past the Trigger Scent it would be some big character moment. Like, in a supreme act of will she finally is able to take control of herself during a crisis. Or maybe it would have been a more subdued thing, like she's able to acknowledge the reaction, but not let it control her.

If nothing else it would be Laura herself somehow causing the change in herself. Instead it was a bunch of her friends doing something to her, against her will. She literally begs "Please don't do this"! Granted it all worked out, and it's better for Laura that she's free of it, and it was her friends and family trying to help her out of concern, not a desire to exploit her.

But narratively it was, at best, kind of meaningless for her as a character since there wasn't any choice or even visible effort on Laura's part.

And worst it affirms the motivations of most of her antagonists and negates alot of her character arc: ultimately other people are the ones who get to decide what happens to her.

edit: And even at face value it's pretty absurd. Prof X couldn't wipe that trauma from her mind? Or Emma Frost? Or the Cuckoos? It was young Jean Grey, who in story only found out she's a telepath a few months ago, and it constantly being ragged on by other telepaths as being blunt force and very unskilled. Bah.

And, like, is being hypnotised really all it takes to permanently fix PTSD? Maybe some telepath should just go sort out the Punisher. Or any of the other characters with horrible trauma they can't move past.
I agree with some of your analysis, but just want to quibble on some things:

The key change was that Jean had Laura under the trigger scent to try and help her, which made all the difference with Comic Book Science in effect. It did not remove her past trauma either, as is evidenced by her disdain for the traffickers she takes down later. Also, iirc Laura did stop herself from killing Tyger Tiger while under the trigger scent, so she did get that moment to an extent, and, moreover, she is the one to take down Kimura, who is a personal aspect of her past trauma.

Honestly, the trigger scent and Kimura had run their course in my opinion, so I was glad to see Laura move past them, though I recognise that Enemy of the State II wasn't a hit with everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Galvanik posted:

Why couldn't Prof X get through the "extensive memory blocks" in Logan for 30 years? Taken to it's extreme end, an omega level telepath is basically a god. If Prof X is the "most powerful telepath in the world" then it's impossible someone could design a memory block that he couldn't get through or any psychological trauma that he couldn't heal. And yet, it happens constantly. It's a catch-22. You want to have your heroes be powerful because you can show how, if not for their innate goodness, they'd be monsters. But, you still need them to fail every now and again, because otherwise it's boring as poo poo and the character is deus ex machina personified. Once you involve telepaths and psychological trauma it's best just to take it as written, because the whole thing falls apart if you try and dig.