Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ZypherIM posted:

If you're really worry about pirates you can find a 2-3 just energy system to leave unclaimed, then station a fleet nearby. Farm the pirates every 10 years for a small energy/mineral bonus, along with some xp for your ships and admiral.

Yeah, that's the thing I don't quite get about people complaining about pirates. For my empire, there's like two systems they can possibly spawn in, it's pretty simple to put a crew quarters spacedock a few systems away and just park my fleets there when it's not war season. What else are your fleets doing when you're not at war? I mean I'm usually a peace/xenophile guy, but right now I'm doing authoritarian xenophobes and I'm still not at war so often that I don't need something for those fuckers to do during peacetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Spanish Matlock posted:

What else are your fleets doing when you're not at war?

Redeploying. It takes forever now.

...also, being limited to one gateway building at a time is bullshit.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, that's the thing I don't quite get about people complaining about pirates. For my empire, there's like two systems they can possibly spawn in, it's pretty simple to put a crew quarters spacedock a few systems away and just park my fleets there when it's not war season. What else are your fleets doing when you're not at war? I mean I'm usually a peace/xenophile guy, but right now I'm doing authoritarian xenophobes and I'm still not at war so often that I don't need something for those fuckers to do during peacetime.

The system you have described is neither fun nor engaging.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Sedisp posted:

The system you have described is neither fun nor engaging.

I find it to be both, but again, I'm the guy who likes having pirates murder my stuff so I can rebuild to complete mandates, because intentionally deconstructing stations seems dumb to me, so maybe I'm not on the level of min/max optimized 400iq grand strategy play that I'd need to be on to see having something for my military to do as boring or not engaging.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Baronjutter posted:

So I finished the precursor chain, a rarity, but their ancient home world spawned right behind the xenophobic fallen empire. I spend the whole game waiting for jump drives but then realize science ships can't jump into unexplored systems. This makes me sad.

You can if your sensors can go far enough to get you bare minimum intel on the place.

Build the Sentry Array if you must :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just got the most annoying fleet bug: two blank entries in the ship construction queue that made my fleet reinforce to two less than quota. And they couldn't be cancelled.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

GotLag posted:

I just got the most annoying fleet bug: two blank entries in the ship construction queue that made my fleet reinforce to two less than quota. And they couldn't be cancelled.

The fleet manager is a travesty. One of my fleets doesn't show up as a template, and the other one constantly wants to reinforce itself with its entire complement, so I have to manually rebuild ships for it anyway because the reinforce button will double its size every time and put me over the empire fleet cap and completely tank my production.

Oh yeah, also when I did press the reinforce the first time (which is how I got my second fleet) it sent those reinforce orders to every shipyard in my empire and then those ships couldn't join the fleet they were supposed to be reinforcing because it was already at the individual fleet cap.

The fleet manager needs a serious looking into.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are you playing the latest beta patch?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Jabor posted:

Are you playing the latest beta patch?

I am not, did they fix it? Because that would be grand.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Spanish Matlock posted:

The fleet manager is a travesty. One of my fleets doesn't show up as a template, and the other one constantly wants to reinforce itself with its entire complement, so I have to manually rebuild ships for it anyway because the reinforce button will double its size every time and put me over the empire fleet cap and completely tank my production.

Oh yeah, also when I did press the reinforce the first time (which is how I got my second fleet) it sent those reinforce orders to every shipyard in my empire and then those ships couldn't join the fleet they were supposed to be reinforcing because it was already at the individual fleet cap.

Split some ships into a new fleet and remerge your fleet, that was fixing the "reinforce with its entire complement" for me. I think the "not showing up as a template" thing is from you over-reinforcing while the other bug is active. Try making a new fleet with like 1 ship, merge your un-templated fleet into it, adjust the numbers where you want them.

I'm not sure if I'd describe the like 3 bugs as a travesty. They can be fairly significant but you can also work around them. I'd rather do that than rebuild my fleet in the old system any day. 1 click to re-up all my fleets? Yes please.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Spanish Matlock posted:

I am not, did they fix it? Because that would be grand.

Yeah, lots of those 2.0 fleet manager bugs have been looked at.

You could wait for them to put together a stable release if that's more your thing, but if you want them fixed now then the beta patch is where you want to be.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Beta branch is pretty solid all together currently. Aside from some rebalancing (unity cost per system is 1% instead of 2%), most of the stuff is bug fixes or quality of life things.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Jabor posted:

Yeah, lots of those 2.0 fleet manager bugs have been looked at.

You could wait for them to put together a stable release if that's more your thing, but if you want them fixed now then the beta patch is where you want to be.

I can hang with it for now, essentially it just disabled the reinforce button which is fine until they get the patch out for reals.

Doing a big mp game at the end of the month. I'll probably suggest everyone opt in if they haven't dropped it by then.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So I've been playing this game since release day but never really played around with species rights much and always assumed egalitarians got extremely fussy if you restricted anyone. Turns out RESIDENCY is super powerful. If you're running egalitarian but don't want to be xenophile but also don't want to genocide or enslave, residency is your friend.

Pops with residency can't start factions. They can belong to them, but they can't start them.
Xeno pops with residency do NOT create xenophile ethics attraction.

I conquered a planet of militarist spiritualists and had them all on full citizenship. Instantly I got a militarist and spiritualist faction in my empire and that initial faction creation even flipped some of my own pops over to militarist. Setting these aliens to only have residency though reduced their ethos weight in the whole faction system, and once the 2 humans that turned militarist were corrected the entire faction vanished. I still have a bunch of militarist and spiritualist aliens, but since they only have residency it's not enough to keep the faction active, which set their attraction to like 1%.

Throw "encourage political thought" in there and after a few years most of the aliens have been educated and their awful beliefs contained. I'd so love to protect them from moving to planets they should not move to though, but THAT pisses off egalitarians. Egalitarians should really only care about species with citizen rights, leave the xeno-loving to the xenophile faction entirely.

But yeah, residency citizenship actually does a lot and I'm ashamed I never played with it.

This is very good to know, thanks!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

bugged templates can be fixed by creating a new template that can fit the old template inside of it plus an extra ship, reinforcing it from the fleet manager with just the extra ship, putting an admiral on the new fleet and de-admiraling the old fleet, then merge the two together. this will destroy the old template and leave you with a new template that is not bugged.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can also create a new template by just manually building a single ship, provided none of your existing fleets are in orbit around that shipyard. I've also found that manually designed ship models are a lot less prone to breaking the fleet manager, even when set to auto update they are still more reliable than the automatically generated ship designs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey why cant I upgrade this federation fleet? I'm driving it to the starbase but it doesnt do anything.

Oh wait someone else is the president... wait what.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

Size does matter; you get the green number - 1 as a boost to your rep (so green 20 = +19 opinion).

Good to know, that explains why all the 1-level gifts to that militant expansionist empire on my border last game weren't doing squat.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

I find it to be both, but again, I'm the guy who likes having pirates murder my stuff so I can rebuild to complete mandates, because intentionally deconstructing stations seems dumb to me, so maybe I'm not on the level of min/max optimized 400iq grand strategy play that I'd need to be on to see having something for my military to do as boring or not engaging.

Right click pirates, kill pirates right click station kill pirate station. Right click to build anything they destroyed.

Legit I am glad you enjoy this but most people don't and I don't think it's confusing as to why.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Sedisp posted:

Right click pirates, kill pirates right click station kill pirate station. Right click to build anything they destroyed.

Legit I am glad you enjoy this but most people don't and I don't think it's confusing as to why.

I think someone posted the three moves ahead cast about this game, and they had a really good analogy, where you'll probably find fun in this kind of thing if you enjoy Dungeons and Dragons, because you're the kind of person who can project a story onto a game like Stellaris, and I think the interaction with pirates as they exist in the game is a good example of that.

You see "right click kill pirate" I see a victory lap for the undefeated alpha swarm after their destruction of the god-loving scum of the Holy Barath Trinity.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

I think someone posted the three moves ahead cast about this game, and they had a really good analogy, where you'll probably find fun in this kind of thing if you enjoy Dungeons and Dragons, because you're the kind of person who can project a story onto a game like Stellaris, and I think the interaction with pirates as they exist in the game is a good example of that.

You see "right click kill pirate" I see a victory lap for the undefeated alpha swarm after their destruction of the god-loving scum of the Holy Barath Trinity.

I usually do this but pirates just don't do it for me. I can only project different stories onto identical mechanics so many times I feel like having them ramp up warn you before the attack and have an understood attack corridor can accomplish make there gameplay interactive with the added bonus of being able to get the player in a mindset of the Marauder mechanic.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Pirates are odd. On the one hand they appear from nowhere, strike without warning, and destroy about five stations. Then they... sit next to a pirate station with the firepower and survivability of a mining station, which you quickly show up and destroy for a reward of about one-fifth of the value of the stuff the pirates destroy.

Maybe a better system would be if you got a bit more warning that a pirate raid was incoming, but that if you missed the raid they would just jump out of the system and disappear?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Pirate stations could do with a bit more scaling. Be neat if by the time they spawned the galleon their base was starbase level with defence platform-esque mini-stations.

I think early game pirates are working perfectly, but I can see the argument that they lack a certain something after the expansion phase. They're one of those mechanics that only really get meaty if you screw up. Adding in non-murder based interaction in the midgame could be neat. Like hiring them as privateers :getin:

\/ my edit :( \/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 13, 2018

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Splicer posted:

Pirate stations could do with a bit more scaling. Be neat if by the time they spawned the galleon their base was starbase level with defence platform-esque mini-stations.

Then you start hiring them as privateers :getin:

Honestly, I don't know what business my dudes have becoming pirates, we're militarist xenophobes. If you want to pillage and murder just join the army.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Way up-thread I asked a question about how a force tribute war-goal would work against an empire my previously existing vassal had claims on. Turns out if you rack up enough war exhaustion to force a surrender any claimed systems will switch over to the new owner and you'll vassalize whatever rump state is left. Fortunately that's the result I was hoping for but I can see that mechanic being frustrating to players if there is no way to diplomatically force a vassal to renounce claims.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wrong thread.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly, I don't know what business my dudes have becoming pirates, we're militarist xenophobes. If you want to pillage and murder just join the army.
:eng101: One of the biggest sources of recruitment for classical pirates were low ranked British seamen deemed no longer fit for service. If Johnny midshipman lost a leg he was dumped ashore with little money, no prospects, and no marketable skills other than sailing. Oh hey my buddy Jimmy midshipman lost a hand, wonder what he's up to oh my god he's got a claw hand and he's raiding Spanish galleons and did you say health insurance?

Stop skimping on the veteran's benefits is what I'm saying.

Alternatively it's privateers/black ops from people who don't like you, which as militarist xenophobes should be everyone.

Or they're ultra militarist super xenophobe patriots who are angry that you're letting those filthy blue dotted plants serve with proper god fearing red dotted plants.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Spanish Matlock posted:

Maybe it's all the despicable peaceniks?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Obviously they're even better xenophobes they hate even their own species.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

...pirates as a pseudo-faction depending on your empire ethics?

secretly they suborn one of your outposts or starbases....

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

...pirates as a pseudo-faction depending on your empire ethics?

secretly they suborn one of your outposts or starbases....

Crushing rebellions to pass the time. Tarkin would be proud.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If I start an empty galaxy run, can I force-resettle all the members of a faction to a new colony and then release it as a vassal to gradually populate the galaxy with disgruntled splinter groups?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

I upped my econ game one step further.

I now dismantle the starting shipyward and fleet hookup for more energy each month. (I am playing lifeseeded and thus need that to be my trading hub until I can get to other planets.)

I do that too, honestly. You can't use the fleet until a bit later generally and by then you can probably upgrade another base somewhere and make that into your shipyard. The trading hubs are really useful off the bat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man allying with a genocidal warbot is great. Yeah sure I'd be happy to help your cleansing war, free planets and sectors!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Spanish Matlock posted:

Are you seriously saying you find "right click on pirate fleet, then shift-right click on pirate base, then press b once both are dead" engaging and not boring? :psyduck:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hot tip, if you as a player have to project a story onto a game mechanic in order to make it engaging, rather than the mechanic generating an event or sequence of events you can make into a story, the mechanic is bad. I have now said mechanic so many times it doesn't mean anything anymore. mechanic

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just love seeing pirate ships. They're so junky and awful, fun to look at, especially the galleons.

I also love seeing them blow up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm sure it'll turn out just fine.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm sure it'll turn out just fine.

I love the idea that these guys think a Rogue Servitor faction is just a misunderstood automated luxury resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I mean depending on how you choose to flavor your empire, they can be right.