Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cheese-cube posted:

just gonna put my garbage tweet(s) here. tl;dr my bank is garbage

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/971327709170167808

forwarded this to a guy I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol ibs

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Insufficient Bank Security

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Insufficient Bank Security

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

lol at the idea of 3rd party ads on a banking site. a service the customer is already paying for directly
how often do ads for competitors get through?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i pay nothing to use my bank and pretty much always have (only fee i've ever had to pay was the FID tax that was a couple of cents a year but they got rid of the FID tax aeons ago). sure i've only got a single savings account but it suites my needs and i get a chip+pin mastercard debitcard that has that NFC stuff in it and ive never encountered any fees p much ever.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

cheese-cube posted:

i pay nothing to use my bank and pretty much always have (only fee i've ever had to pay was the FID tax that was a couple of cents a year but they got rid of the FID tax aeons ago). sure i've only got a single savings account but it suites my needs and i get a chip+pin mastercard debitcard that has that NFC stuff in it and ive never encountered any fees p much ever.

yeah, i don't pay directly, they make money by holding my money and breeding it

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Cerv posted:

lol at the idea of 3rd party ads on a banking site. a service the customer is already paying for directly

but they could make even more with ads

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Phone posted:

but think of the value ad to the customer

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/972257226806108160
https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/972235502760886272

I mean I wouldn't use a product called Keeper anyway because it causes Binding of Isaac PTSD.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
here's why https download links are important and necessary https://citizenlab.ca/2018/03/bad-traffic-sandvines-packetlogic-devices-deploy-government-spyware-turkey-syria/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
So I'm working on cleaning up our authentication/session management flow, and I'm reading through this:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Session_Management_Cheat_Sheet

I noticed that it doesn't mention signing the session cookie, which seems like an easy way to prevent brute forcing a session id. Is it not mentioned because signing the cookie is a lot of extra work compared to just generating a longer session id?

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 11, 2018

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

what are you actually preventing by signing a session cookie if your session cookie is already sufficiently random

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

p much, although there's a lot of places that generate a session id based on hashing username, password, ip, etc sha256(user||sha256(password)) isn't uncommon, figuring out the implementation of popular services is a good exercise.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

geonetix posted:

what are you actually preventing by signing a session cookie if your session cookie is already sufficiently random

yeah, that pretty much answers it. the only benefit i can think of is that it would be very easy to tell if an attacker is attempting to tamper with sessions, so you could block the ip/run other mitigations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

an IP that presents a bunch of different invalid tokens in a short time frame is probably equally suspicious regardless of how you construct your token

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Subjunctive posted:

an IP that presents a bunch of different invalid tokens in a short time frame is probably equally suspicious regardless of how you construct your token

yeah but that's significantly harder to implement properly. (although I'm not arguing that it isn't a good idea).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah but that's significantly harder to implement properly. (although I'm not arguing that it isn't a good idea).

why is it harder than if it’s signed? both cases are just “invalid token”.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Subjunctive posted:

why is it harder than if it’s signed? both cases are just “invalid token”.

i was thinking about tracking the ip, but you're right, someone sending an unknown token is about as clear a sign of tampering as a token that doesn't match the signature.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Reminds me of one time when I was looking through the logs and saw a whole bunch of "invalid token" log lines.

The tokens we used were just random strings or whatever.

Looking at the log lines, turns out that someone had repeatedly tried to use a cookie with the token "/etc/passwd"

Till this day, I wonder in what system they think that would have any effect whatsoever.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Sheraton wall centre sucks, the fire alarm has gone off three days in a row. I hope the cause is some dipshit "pentester" pulling the alarm because he thinks he's at defcon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Reminds me of one time when I was looking through the logs and saw a whole bunch of "invalid token" log lines.

Looking at the log lines, turns out that someone had repeatedly tried to use a cookie with the token "/etc/passwd"

Till this day, I wonder in what system they think that would have any effect whatsoever.

there's a lot of automated tools that will just try shoving /etc/passwd and similar paths into everything, it was probably just that. it does lead to some very weird log entries though :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

titaniumone posted:

Sheraton wall centre sucks, the fire alarm has gone off three days in a row. I hope the cause is some dipshit "pentester" pulling the alarm because he thinks he's at defcon

Failing sensors will cause that too.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
kali just announced a new version of their distro without support for raw unix sockets https://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-in-the-windows-app-store/

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Carbon dioxide posted:

there are file based session hadlers that would store session 123 in /tmp/sessions/123 so i guess if you also did path.join and then dumped out an error message with the "invalid data"? seems like a long shot

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Carbon dioxide posted:

ate all the Oreos posted:

there's a lot of automated tools that will just try shoving /etc/passwd and similar paths into everything, it was probably just that. it does lead to some very weird log entries though :v:

I was trying to debug a licence issue and the log for our FlexNet instance has all sorts of junk like that, and ../../../../../admin.php, and random junk besides.

Presumably some dumb check-a-box pentest blasting poo poo to all hosts on the network

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
finished my slides for bsides vancouver

if y'all are going to be there, just PM me or something

there will be a stream i believe -- talk is at 10:30 AM PDT on track 2. the presentation won't be spectacular as it's really me on my soap box for 35-45 minutes

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

~Coxy posted:

I was trying to debug a licence issue and the log for our FlexNet instance has all sorts of junk like that, and ../../../../../admin.php, and random junk besides.

Presumably some dumb check-a-box pentest blasting poo poo to all hosts on the network

all the automated scanners do this just to catch the odd path traversal, xss or sqli

the sad thing is they usually still work on newly produced code, so it’s a good thing to scan for those

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

anthonypants posted:

kali just announced a new version of their distro without support for raw unix sockets https://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-in-the-windows-app-store/

huh, unix sockets came out decemberish. hopefully they enable them distrowide soon after they're in stable windows, and don't let it stay with them off by default.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

quote:

Your correspondence of March 7, 2018 again reiterates that PacketLogic does not permit the end user to inject a payload “larger than 1 packet”. Citizen Lab’s conclusion is that 1 packet is all that is required to enable the product to be used in the manner it describes.

Great defence. It's only 1 packet, what could possibly go wrong?!

fakeedit:

quote:

In all injected packets, the IPID is always 13330 (0x3412, which is 0x1234 endian-swapped) for all injected packets.

I'm the 0x1234

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this sure isn't ominous https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-announce/2018/000434.html

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

anthonypants posted:

raw unix sockets

are you trying to summon steve gibson

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i just called my bank and was greeted by an automated message asking me to complete a survey for a caribbean cruise

turns out I dialed 1 800 xxx xxxx instead of 1 888 xxx xxxx. if they had asked me for all my personal info instead i would have gotten owned.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
my company is going to be spending a lot of time in the second half of the year on security with an eye towards working toward certification of some kind. I'm basically the security officer for the company in all but name, so I'll be heading up the effort. I'm trying to plan out what kind of training I'll need to head that effort. I'm somewhat versed in security, and have given presentations on OWASP and the like. however I lack knowledge of best practices around the non-development side of things.

any recommendations on books/courses/webpages/security certs I can look into?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
the details of wpa3 are out. it looks like a significant improvement over wpa2, adding forward security and a modern PAKE handshake, replacing WPS, adding support for encrypting unauthenticated (no-password) networks, and increasing the key size to 192-bits for some reason. also, some good news for wpa2 devices going forward (since we'll probably be stuck leaving it enabled for at least the next 20 years):

quote:

Improvements to WPA2

It's also interesting to note that the Wi-Fi Alliance now mandates support of Protected Management Frames (PMF) as part of its WPA2 certification. This means new WPA2-certified devices are now required to support PMF. This prevents deauthentication attacks where an adversary can forcibly disconnect clients from a Wi-Fi network. On top of that, it seems they will fuzz implementations of WPA2. Or to put it in their words, they will perform "Enhanced validation of vendor security implementations". In particular devices are tested to assure they validate server certificates properly, and that they are patched against the KRACK attack against WPA2.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well the samba issues are a bit disappointing, was expecting much more fun

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

anyone ever mess with disabling specific TLS Extensions in SChannel like Session Ticket, is that even a thing (I'm guessing not)? Yay auditors thinking it would be a great use of time nickpick Microsoft's TLS implementation beyond just locking down specific ciphers and protocols.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/973551222023057408

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sadus posted:

anyone ever mess with disabling specific TLS Extensions in SChannel like Session Ticket, is that even a thing (I'm guessing not)? Yay auditors thinking it would be a great use of time nickpick Microsoft's TLS implementation beyond just locking down specific ciphers and protocols.

pretty sure we have one resident schannel pro, i shamefully cannot remember but they posted nice cipher suite lists plus recommended ECC curve combos, was very handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

three years i've had this credit card, used it online for a whole bunch of stuff, not even a peep

it expired, i activated the new one end of last month, it got popped last night

started to think it was something i hosed up, but i've been on hold now for almost 20 minutes so my guess is someone lost control of their subscriber info

• Locked thread