Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rent has been rising in German cities for a while now. A room in Berlin or Hamburg will cost you around 500 student or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

new phone who dis posted:

There are other options for the brother like staying home and doing a JC for a year if he's feeling anxious that I would totally be behind, too.

Yeah but that's not what the bro or family wants. The issue isn't him going to school, it's that he wants to build his independence off his sister's, and she does not want that. He is taking for granted that she would immediately do so for him as well, making it more awkward.

new phone who dis posted:

Teach the man to fish before he ends up living in your mom's basement smelling like one.

If the teacher is willing. Not everyone wants to teach, not everyone is suited to it, and not everyone should be forced to 'for the greater good'. Forcing that can actually hurt everyone in the end and leave everybody starving and fishless and also angry. That's my point.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

If the teacher is willing. Not everyone wants to teach, not everyone is suited to it, and not everyone should be forced to 'for the greater good'. Forcing that can actually hurt everyone in the end and leave everybody starving and fishless and also angry. That's my point.
If you have a child you should be suited to it or at least loving make an attempt at it, not foist the responsibility on others. That's the point.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My [22M] girlfriend [24F] of 6 years refuses to have a sexual relationship with me

quote:

Hello everyone,

I have been going out with my girlfriend since I was 16, and she is the only girl I've ever dated, kissed, etc. Our relationship has overall been very happy and we get along very well. Despite this, she has never slept with me, and we both remain virgins.

Now, I went into this relationship without any real expectations. I was a 16 year-old high school kid, after all. For the first couple of years, I assumed that she would sleep with me when she was ready. This is what they teach you in health class, right? Respect a girl's body and don't pressure her. That was my approach. We engaged in minor things like making out, but it never went farther than that.

At about the third year I started to grow worried. I started asking her what her plans were, and if she wanted to sleep with me. She didn't really have a good answer, and her excuses have shifted each time we've discussed it. She has basically told me that she is terrified of getting pregnant, mostly. She is also terrified of diseases. Now, this is obviously ridiculous, and she knows it. She's a biology student in University, and these are absurd excuses. She has told me that any contraception that "isn't 100%" isn't worth it.

I have approached the issue various ways, and I've usually just let the issue die whenever she's dodged my questions. This year, however, I've been growing incredibly impatient. I started asking her more directly and telling her that I want to share a physical relationship with her. When I did this, she got irritated, asking "Why does it even matter if we have sex?". She then asked me if I would stay with her if we never have sex. I was taken aback by this question, as it was unexpected, and she broke down crying, accusing me of wanting to break up with her if she doesn't sleep with me. After that exchange, I've avoided bringing it up altogether.

Now, there are a few things to consider. First, she is not religious, and has no moral or religious objections to sex. She has also confirmed to me that she is not asexual, and does in fact feel sexual urges sometimes. She has also made it quite clear that she doesn't intend to get married until she is in her thirties. I doubt that marriage would make much difference to this situation anyways, however.

While I know that many will simply encourage me to leave her, I am not comfortable doing this. I love this girl, despite what we are lacking, and I cannot imagine being without her at this point in my life.

Is there any hope for this relationship? Do I just have to accept remaining a virgin forever? Has anyone else had experiences like this?

I appreciate your advice!

TL;DR: My girlfriend of 6 years won't have sex with me, and can't seem to provide a reason as to why. I am getting stir crazy.

putrid aidsman
Apr 13, 2017

by Lowtax

quote:

Should I [22/F] resign from new job because of insensitive question from boss [30s/M]
submitted an hour ago by cailinnaheireann26

Non-romantic. This is my first reddit post, I just need some advice to make sure I'm not over-reacting..

I began a new job over the weekend. I have a lot of experience in café work and was hired in a new place as a barista. On Saturday I had my trial shift, everything was going fine - if not a little awkward because it felt like I was intruding on a close-knit group, but maybe that's to be expected on a first day - until in front of everyone, my new boss made an insensitive and ignorant joke.

I am Irish, living currently in the south west of England. The boss began with, "hey, you're Irish right? This is something I've been thinking about for years and always wanted to ask an Irish person... During the potato famine, why didn't they just eat something else... like carrots?" He laughed along with the rest of the staff. I was shocked that he would ask something so ignorant, especially to a new employee, and I was nervous on my first day so I said nothing.

I worked a second shift the next day and kept myself to myself mostly, but I didn't feel I was cold. I spent time thinking about what the boss had said to me, I wanted to bring this up with him in a rational way and not say something impassioned in the moment. So finally yesterday afternoon I wrote him a text outlining why the comment was insensitive, admitting that I don't think he intended to be so offensive, but none the less what he said was rude and had hurt me.

In response to this text he, in no uncertain terms, told me that I was in the wrong for finding his question offensive. He then contradicted himself firstly by saying he has been to Ireland, respects the country, but on his travels noticed there was a lot about the famine but he never got the answer as to why those who died didn't just eat something else, it was simply an innocent question. Then he backtracked by saying he intentionally asks provocative questions on employee's first days to see how they respond under pressure.

I explained that regardless of your intention, if you offend someone, particularly in a workplace, you should at least offer an apology. I feel embarrassed and hurt because in this particular city I have already left one job (about 8 months ago) because the manager made anto-Irish comments to me in front of customers.

Am I right to resign?

TLDR: New boss made an offensive joke about Irish people on my first day, then refused to apologise or accept that it was inappropriate. Is this cause to resign, or am I too sensitive?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

putrid aidsman posted:

Should I [22/F] resign from new job because of insensitive question from boss [30s/M

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [22M] girlfriend [24F] of 6 years refuses to have a sexual relationship with me

Break up with her, god drat

After six years she's not ever gonna gently caress you, and you shouldn't feel guilty over wanting sex

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

La Brea Carpet posted:

"For the first couple of years, I assumed that she would sleep with me", god drat.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

La Brea Carpet posted:

"Dear Internet, what do I do about this womanchild who I have been dating since I was a naive teenager but whom I have clearly outgrown? Please don't say I should break up with her and move on to someone else, that's out of the question. Soooo do I just resolve to never ever get laid for my entire life or"

I skimmed through this and was like "where does this person live that they're running into so many people who are racist against the Irish for some reason"

then I checked again, and was like, oh, England, ok makes sense

anyway lol that the boss is Racist Marie Antoinette

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Remember when there was the guy who required threesomes and everyone was telling the woman "you knew the deal!!! you signed up for this!!!"

Mostly though I just wanted to point out this

quote:

This is what they teach you in health class, right? Respect a girl's body and don't pressure her.

quote:

Now, this is obviously ridiculous, and she knows it.
these are absurd excuses.
:eng99: you're also supposed to respect uhh . . . her

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 13, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Edit: ^^^ No Anne, I remember like 2 people saying "you signed up for this." Everyone else was like "maybe she thought she'd be able to, but changed her mind, and it was FIVE YEARS so maybe he changed his!"

Yawgmoth posted:

If you have a child you should be suited to it or at least loving make an attempt at it, not foist the responsibility on others. That's the point.

His point was that the sister shouldn't be the one doing it. The sister doesn't have a child. She's not foisting responsibility on to anyone, she's trying to avoid it being foisted on to her.

Your comment comes across as antagonistic and completely unaware of the conversation going on.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

Remember when there was the guy who required threesomes and everyone was telling the woman "you knew the deal!!! you signed up for this!!!"

Imagine being so into your gimmick of defending the woman all the time, always, that you give your unilateral support to the person who thinks it's normal to not have sex for six loving years and then starts crying and trying to make her boyfriend feel like poo poo because he asks if they can gently caress after going out for more than half a loving decade

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If she's afraid of getting pregnant even if she is using birth control, and has no religious hangups, abortion exists! It's this amazing ancient technology where you don't have to carry and give birth to a child if you don't want to!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

La Brea Carpet posted:

Girlfriend gay, so what?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Blade Runner posted:

Imagine being so into your gimmick of defending the woman all the time, always, that you give your unilateral support to the person who thinks it's normal to not have sex for six loving years and then starts crying and trying to make her boyfriend feel like poo poo because he asks if they can gently caress after going out for more than half a loving decade
I don't think it's normal, she doesn't think it's normal. I just said he should respect her, so step #1 could just look like taking her feelings seriously, like "wow that's a lot to be afraid of, I'm sorry you're scared, what would make you feel better," etc., instead of having the attitude of "this is some absurd bullshit she's making up." Because guaranteed that contempt is coming through.

It's very interesting that you think crying is deliberate and manipulative though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Anne Whateley posted:

Once you're 24 years old and have been dating someone for six years, if you still don't want to have sex because it's scary and what if I get pregnant :ohdear: and start crying if your SO asks a question about it, I think it's officially a problem that needs to be addressed

he needs to move on, and she needs a lot of therapy, and they can both have a normal life apart from each other

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think it's normal, she doesn't think it's normal. I just said he should respect her, so step #1 could just look taking her feelings seriously, like "wow that's a lot to be afraid of, I'm sorry you're scared, what would make you feel better," etc., instead of having the attitude of "this is some absurd bullshit she's making up."

it has been six years

He's been patient enough

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

La Brea Carpet posted:

I can guarantee that she's sleeping with every one else

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think it's normal, she doesn't think it's normal. I just said he should respect her, so step #1 could just look like taking her feelings seriously, like "wow that's a lot to be afraid of, I'm sorry you're scared, what would make you feel better," etc., instead of having the attitude of "this is some absurd bullshit she's making up." Because guaranteed that contempt is coming through.

It's very interesting that you think crying is deliberate and manipulative though.

Holy projection, batman

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

loquacius posted:

Once you're 24 years old and have been dating someone for six years, if you still don't want to have sex because it's scary and what if I get pregnant :ohdear: and start crying if your SO asks a question about it, I think it's officially a problem that needs to be addressed

he needs to move on, and she needs a lot of therapy, and they can both have a normal life apart from each other
Yes? Sure? I disagreed with none of that. "Respect" doesn't mean "I do exactly what the other person says forever and never ask questions," it just means stuff like believing them about their feelings and acting like you're on the same team if you're dating.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Anne Whateley posted:

No way in hell they haven’t had that conversation in SIX. YEARS.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If he had any respect for himself hed walk away and never come back.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I can guarantee that she's sleeping with every one else

doubtful

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Holy projection, batman
Which part is projection, because I literally quoted the part where he said it was absurd and didn't believe it.

This might blow some minds, guys, but my first boyfriend was raised Catholic and still didn't believe in PIV outside of marriage. I agreed with that 0% but I respected it 100% for the years we were together. So my projection is perhaps not what you assume!!

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

Perhaps you mistook "years" to be "months"

After six years, yes, this is some absurd bullshit and while she might have some actual mental illness, holy loving Christ is it crazy for you to say "well he should just approach it rationally" As though the only rational option wasn't to break up five years ago

The crying is obviously deliberate and manipulative because everything about her entire approach to this is deliberative and manipulative. She asks leading questions, bluntly implies that they'll just never have sex, and then starts crying when he seems uncomfortable with that. I get that your gimmick is that the woman is always right, but come the gently caress on.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

If he had any respect for himself hed walk away and never come back.

If they break up, that dude is 100% going to marry the first girl he sleeps with.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

La Brea Carpet posted:

id just like to point out that this op's account name was "virginitykills" which made me laugh

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes? Sure? I disagreed with none of that. "Respect" doesn't mean "I do exactly what the other person says forever and never ask questions," it just means stuff like believing them about their feelings and acting like you're on the same team if you're dating.

it has been six years with no movement on this whatsoever, how does that not suggest to you that he's been patient and supportive, and has reached the end of his rope after completing high school and college without experiencing sexual intimacy

If she hasn't tried to work on her issues yet she's never going to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can repeat it all you want, but that's not actually my gimmick. She seems legit scared. That doesn't mean he has to stay with her if he doesn't want, but no, crying is usually because you are a human who's sad, not because you're evil and manipulative.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Anne Whateley posted:

Which part is projection, because I literally quoted the part where he said it was absurd and didn't believe it.

This might blow some minds, guys, but my first boyfriend was raised Catholic and still didn't believe in PIV outside of marriage. I agreed with that 0% but I respected it 100% for the years we were together. So my projection is perhaps not what you assume!!

your boyfriend was a dweeb

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

La Brea Carpet posted:

Let's go to the OP's comments

quote:

I thought about that but she wouldn’t be okay with it. She gets irritated if I do as much as text a girl. lol

quote:

Thank you for the clarification and the advice. I’ve asked her about it, and she says that she’s never masturbated before. I asked her if she ever feels horny or anything like it, and she said yes, but that she just “ignores it and goes to sleep”. She has also told me that she has self control over such things, whereas I do not.

quote:

You’re probably right. There have been times that I’ve found myself researching ways to artificially suppress libido, which just speaks to how ridiculous I’ve been

quote:

Interestingly, she once said just that. “If there was a way there could be a 0% chance of getting pregnant, I’d do it”

quote:

I guess one detail I can also add is that we don’t live together. Her parents won’t allow her to move out until she’s married. Not that this changes much, just thought it was useful to mention

Oh there's the lede

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

La Brea Carpet posted:

lmao if you've been in a relationship for 6 years and not had sex or been truly physically intimate at least once, you should definitely leave.

especially as he was in this relationship exactly during the years when most people become sexually active and begin to have actual adult relationships.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Anne Whateley posted:

You can repeat it all you want, but that's not actually my gimmick. She seems legit scared. That doesn't mean he has to stay with her if he doesn't want, but no, crying is usually because you are a human who's sad, not because you're evil and manipulative.

If after six years of having discussions on this you're still breaking down and crying over it it's officially no longer your SO's responsibility to deal with your hangups

I don't think she's intentionally being manipulative, but I do think she's resisting the idea of personal growth as hard as she possibly can

e: Like, in that threesome discussion you were talking about, I had to keep typing "a threesome is not what they had" in italics at Ham Sandwiches over and over, and I feel like I have to do the same thing with "six years" at you here

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I'm sorry, but I refuse to involve any form of intimacy or affection in my romantic relationships

If you are unwilling to deal with that then you are disrespecting me

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Oh there's the lede

This is why I'll never understand why the idea of monastic life has gone out of style. Some people just need to live in the woods and pollinate pea plants to their heart's content.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Whorelord posted:

your boyfriend was a dweeb
agreed

anyway here's what I'm saying:
- she's probably legit scared rather than legit evil
- IF he wants to stay with her and hope to progress, he should take her feelings seriously

That's it, that's pretty much all. I did not say he's required to be locked with her in a sexless marriage for the next 70 years.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
You'd think it was the definition of respect that he spent six years in a sexless relationship and is still willing to tread on eggshells and attempt to help her overcome her issues rather than just leaving. He said the reasons were absurd biologically, and that she recognises them as such as a biology student. There's literally nothing wrong with calling fear of getting an STD from a virgin absurd, not only because he could easily get tested also.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The pregnancy thing is 100% a justification covering up some deeper issues, otherwise she'd at least be down for hand stuff, and her parents unquestionably did a loving number on her, but that's for her to figure out with a therapist while he's spending his 20s getting laid as God intended

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Folks she isn't allowed to move out of the house until she's married. At 24 years old.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

loquacius posted:

If after six years of having discussions on this you're still breaking down and crying over it it's officially no longer your SO's responsibility to deal with your hangups

I don't think she's intentionally being manipulative, but I do think she's resisting the idea of personal growth as hard as she possibly can

quote:

She has also told me that she has self control over such things, whereas I do not.

lol she's hosed up in the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can't get pregnant from mutual masturbation or oral, but they haven't done that either.