Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
How do you make it to 50 and unlocking hard modes of primal fights without taking a job quest and asking what a job is when the group yells at them to equip their soul crystal.

How.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

Can't you only get 360 gear by doing savage or upgrading ryumaku gear?
360 is the base item level of the current tome gear. 370 is when it's upgraded by savage stuff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Can't you only get 360 gear by doing savage or upgrading ryumaku gear?

350 is normal raid gear, 360 is tomestone Ryumaku gear, IIRC.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
The addition of a separate leveling system for Eureka is a wise choice. What Diadem 1 and 2 really needed to stay alive was a way to segregate the player base.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
I can't believe they made Eureka so bad I'm actually sitting here wishing they'd just have made another fate grind for the relic. Guess I'll just completely skip this one until they backpedal on the shitshow they've come up with.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Martman posted:

360 is the base item level of the current tome gear. 370 is when it's upgraded by savage stuff.

so... it's not exactly something that's easy to acquire yet.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Illuminated Rodent posted:

I can't believe they made Eureka so bad I'm actually sitting here wishing they'd just have made another fate grind for the relic. Guess I'll just completely skip this one until they backpedal on the shitshow they've come up with.

i did eureka for like 40 minutes and got four of the crystals i needed. i think you need like 1300 for the weapon.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I've given it all of 5 minutes of thought and designed a far superior Eureka:

Every time you complete a chain, a treasuremap style portal opens up. Inside could be anything. A boss with a random combination of existing mechanics (better think on your feet) , existing bosses, more 2nd boss of Bardam's style trials, a chocobo race, whatever. Aether's all hosed up on the island, anything could happen.

That way, you get some grinding that the dev obviously has a hardon for, and you work up to fun suprising content in little chunks.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SL the Pyro posted:

What I like about FFXIV is that most of the grindy things can be done alongside other things at the same time so it's less monotonous, and anyone who goes out of their way to do the grindy things on their own does it out of personal preference. Eureka just throws all of that out the window and there is no option other than "grind", and instead of people waxing poetic about "the good old days of FFXI", this just makes me question why anyone liked FFXI. It feels like the system FFXI used is simply dated and inferior.

I'm still going to end up doing Eureka's storyline because I like story and I want that T-Rex mount and maybe the axe relic, but this type of grind just isn't my cup of tea. And this is coming from someone who did the ARR and HW relics.

This is my big issue. You can't just chip away while queued because Eureka itself is a duty. You can't monitor PF for groups doing things you want to do because PF is inaccessible in duties. It's filler content you can't even use as filler between doing/waiting in line to do the other stuff.

Sure, hell grind, okay. But it's a grind you absolutely have to dedicate every part of your playtime to, which just wasn't true about the previous relic systems.

I absolutely agree. I'll hop in once I'm done for the day and just slowly work towards the mount. As is, just gonna skip out on the relic stuff this time around.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 13, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nodosaur posted:

it's 5 runs of exdr per week easy to acquire.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

the point is 350 gear is not only not the highest ilvl gear available, it's not even a step below the best ilvl available. non-savage raids continue to be a joke and you could probably be in full 360 gear from just weekly tomestones at this point. i'm mostly annoyed because i hadn't been consciously doing my savage every week, figuring the relic armor would be close to max. instead i'm like three weeks behind and the relic armor is glorified crafted gear that's probably worse than tomestone gear even if you penta-meld it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Truga posted:

it's 5 runs of exdr per week easy to acquire.

I mean, I've been maxing mendacity each week since 4.2 dropped and I still don't have a full set of Ryumaku gear for one class, let alone for multiple ones, and that's not even getting into upgrading it. I don't know if I'm ready for Savage yet and even then I haven't even got a static group for doing it. So for the majority of stuff, I've got to rely on Lost Allagan gear or play Loot Hunger Games for sigmascape drops, which I can only get one of a week per raid.

I mean I'm not even defending Eureka here anymore (or that I even was), I'm just saying getting Ryumaku gear is a long process and not really friendly to multiple jobs.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

350 with 5 materia slots is probably marginally better than 360 (as long as you don't need the extra HP and Def) depending on substats but there is no way it is better than 370. But given the amount of grinding required to actually get the relic gear it's still not at all worth it for a casual player to consider that over just getting Sigma normal or Tomestone gear.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

its 2018 man, dont do this poo poo

Lol, really?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, I've been maxing mendacity each week since 4.2 dropped and I still don't have a full set of Ryumaku gear for one class, let alone for multiple ones, and that's not even getting into upgrading it.

and you're not going to have a full set of relic gear for a single job for a couple months either :shrug:

for the grind that's apparently required, it's just plain bad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Asimo posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but FFXI was no fun even with its setpieces and weird classes and people with actual nostalgia for its gameplay are broke-brained folks lost in stockholm syndrome. :ssh:

I mean I never said FFXI was great as a whole, but wringing out the few things that could get you a tiny feeling of joy out of that game and forcing what remains into a well-balanced but constraining modern framework just creates an anachronistic mess.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 13, 2018

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

350 with 5 materia slots is probably marginally better than 360 (as long as you don't need the extra HP and Def) depending on substats but there is no way it is better than 370. But given the amount of grinding required to actually get the relic gear it's still not at all worth it for a casual player to consider that over just getting Sigma normal or Tomestone gear.

Yeah, minute for minute of your play time, the thousands upon thousands of crystals you're going to need just for one set of 350 gear with a 355 weapon, just isn't worth it. You could easily just level fisher(or any gatherer really, I'd personally just peg fisher as faster) to get access to treasure maps, run those for gil with people, and buy a set of 350 gear or the materials to get one made. Which you can do without preventing yourself from queuing for your other duties too.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 13, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

non-savage raids continue to be a joke and you could probably be in full 360 gear from just weekly tomestones at this point.

Not even close. About halfway.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, I've been maxing mendacity each week since 4.2 dropped and I still don't have a full set of Ryumaku gear for one class, let alone for multiple ones, and that's not even getting into upgrading it. I don't know if I'm ready for Savage yet and even then I haven't even got a static group for doing it. So for the majority of stuff, I've got to rely on Lost Allagan gear or play Loot Hunger Games for sigmascape drops, which I can only get one of a week per raid.

I mean I'm not even defending Eureka here anymore (or that I even was), I'm just saying getting Ryumaku gear is a long process and not really friendly to multiple jobs.

At this point in the patch cycle if you have been optimally spending your tomes and not doing savage raids, you would have your chest, pants, and weapon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Which is why I'm only more disappointed with how tedious Eureka gear is to obtain. I'm starting to get alts to max and it'd be nice to gear them in something decent.

Like, I see people defending the pacing/grindyness of Eureka as it being something that should keep you busy, or it's not supposed to be for the people who just devour up all the new content in a day or so. I'd be so down with Eureka if it was a grindy but great way to gear up alts. Right now it seems like they've paced it so you'll really only want to do one set if you don't want to go crazy. Like you think the fact that you can only use the gear on a single job should make it a bit easier to obtain?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Okay guys this time we made a piece of segregated content for people to play that'll keep them interested because of the grind.

Guys?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Lmao apparently dying at level 6+ makes you lose thousands of exp.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Truga posted:

and you're not going to have a full set of relic gear for a single job for a couple months either :shrug:

for the grind that's apparently required, it's just plain bad.

again, not what I'm saying. I said "I'm not neccessarily talking about Eureka anymore" in the part you cut off.

By the time getting this stuff with be efficient it'll be outdated.

Failboattootoot posted:

At this point in the patch cycle if you have been optimally spending your tomes and not doing savage raids, you would have your chest, pants, and weapon.

Over a month to get half a set. That's still not efficient. And I don't have everything I need for a weapon because I was working on getting the gear I needed to do Sigma for part of it. I realize that's partly anecdotal but that's just the thing - not everyone has infinite play time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mightygerm posted:

time to spool up them mob trains you say??

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

mightygerm posted:

This is good. This is what I wanted out of a MMO ever since I played Lineage 2.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Over a month to get half a set. That's still not efficient. And I don't have everything I need for a weapon because I was working on getting the gear I needed to do Sigma for part of it. I realize that's partly anecdotal but that's just the thing - not everyone has infinite play time.

maxing your tomes every week takes like, an hour and a half of actual playtime. the time constraint has always been that it is weekly capped.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nodosaur posted:

again, not what I'm saying. I said "I'm not neccessarily talking about Eureka anymore" in the part you cut off.

By the time getting this stuff with be efficient it'll be outdated.

Capping mendacity in a week is like 4 hours of work tops. If you are saying it takes too long to gear up that way then the obvious counterpoint is that you don't need mendacity gear to be clearing savage and if you aren't working on savage then who cares if the tome cap is time-gated?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

mightygerm posted:

Yes, exp loss, the best mechanic ever. What exactly was their goal with this "content?"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

LegionAreI posted:

Yes, exp loss, the best mechanic ever. What exactly was their goal with this "content?"

Probably to appeal to the "Hey guys FFXI was great wasn't it" crowd, much like how one patch of raid content was tuned to the "XIV raids are too easy" crowd.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

maxing your tomes every week takes like, an hour and a half of actual playtime. the time constraint has always been that it is weekly capped.

Failboattootoot posted:

Capping mendacity in a week is like 4 hours of work tops. If you are saying it takes too long to gear up that way then the obvious counterpoint is that you don't need mendacity gear to be clearing savage and if you aren't working on savage then who cares if the tome cap is time-gated?

These are all things that are known. I'm just saying, you can't really call that "easy", or at least not efficient, especially when you're a player who's just finished coming up the ranks and doesn't have a regular group to fall back on and has to rely on pick up groups which can be pretty hit or miss. When you've played the game so long I can understand that changes perspective, but a lot of the work needed to get to this point is already in the past.

I'm not saying it's a bad or even a broken system, I'm just saying that getting the best stuff has a barrier of entry to it. That's all.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There's...no grouping involved in capping tomestones each week.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh? Yes there is. You've got to sit in the duty finder, and depending on time of day and your class, that can take up to more than twenty minutes. I have friends who play the game but their work schedules don't always align with the time I have to play the game.

I mean, it's doable, I've found ways to mitigate it with other things, but that's still a lot of time to spend.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Here's my experience with eureka. I spent around 4 hours getting to level 5 doing 3 hunts which were interesting and a lot more mechanics that I would expect, which was nice and required people to work together. That is all I have good to say about this content. From POTD level of loot (even the good stuff like the furniture you can't even sell off) to putting magicite to improve your gauge behind mobs that are easily double your level are just the tip of the iceberg of how terrible this content is. I'm just going to go back to weeklies because as soon as the shine goes, there won't be even enough people to do the interesting notorious hunts anymore.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I feel like Square Enix is slowly loving up. I feel like how Eureka is shaping up is more of an overall negative than a plus compared to it not being released at all and that's saying something. It's mind boggling to me that this is what they're focusing their development time towards.

My static is only logging in for the game for savage raids. Coil is a bit too much for us due to people being shift workers and the structure of the fight being not really for us. We did clear the previous tier and two final tiers in the last expansion while it was relevant, allhough in a bit different configuration. There's no engaging core gameplay content beyond savage raids, and roulettes and weekly 20-man gets boring real fast. The new relic grind seems horrendous, but I'm unsure if there's any 8-man grind in it which I could enjoy to a degree. Both of my mains (RDM/MCH) also have only so much depth and optimization from which I could gain some enjoyment from while doing casual content. Honestly giving MCH cast bars back would already do a lot for me personally. (I get why they removed them from BRD).

Like, I know Yoshi-p's comments about not being subbed the entire time and that's fine, but there's basically no reason to log on and I *want* to play my character. There's also the issue of Europe's Data Center's routing issue having been an issue more or less since November 2017 causing intermittent lag spikes and absolutely no communication from SQEX. Like at that point you're asking why are you even paying for the sub. The answer is savage raids, but once we've finally cleared O8S I'm hitting that unsub button really fast. (Scheduling issues making us basically ultracasual in terms of hours put into the game).

Savage dungeons would instantly dispell my qualms about continuing my sub. I want some moderately difficult content to do that I don't have to schedule a raid for. I can't be arsed to be angry about it though, I guess I'll really give GW2 another shot. If Monster Hunter World was out for PC I'd be giving it a shot already.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dessel posted:

I feel like Square Enix is slowly loving up. I feel like how Eureka is shaping up is more of an overall negative than a plus compared to it not being released at all and that's saying something. It's mind boggling to me that this is what they're focusing their development time towards.

My static is only logging in for the game for savage raids. Coil is a bit too much for us due to people being shift workers and the structure of the fight being not really for us. We did clear the previous tier and two final tiers in the last expansion while it was relevant, allhough in a bit different configuration. There's no engaging core gameplay content beyond savage raids, and roulettes and weekly 20-man gets boring real fast. The new relic grind seems horrendous, but I'm unsure if there's any 8-man grind in it which I could enjoy to a degree. Both of my mains (RDM/MCH) also have only so much depth and optimization from which I could gain some enjoyment from while doing casual content. Honestly giving MCH cast bars back would already do a lot for me personally. (I get why they removed them from BRD).

Like, I know Yoshi-p's comments about not being subbed the entire time and that's fine, but there's basically no reason to log on and I *want* to play my character. There's also the issue of Europe's Data Center's routing issue having been an issue more or less since November 2017 causing intermittent lag spikes and absolutely no communication from SQEX. Like at that point you're asking why are you even paying for the sub. The answer is savage raids, but once we've finally cleared O8S I'm hitting that unsub button really fast. (Scheduling issues making us basically ultracasual in terms of hours put into the game).

Savage dungeons would instantly dispell my qualms about continuing my sub. I want some moderately difficult content to do that I don't have to schedule a raid for. I can't be arsed to be angry about it though, I guess I'll really give GW2 another shot. If Monster Hunter World was out for PC I'd be giving it a shot already.

It's impossible for any MMO to give people so much content that they never run out of new stuff to do while maintaining the level of polish XIV has.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah but they don't have to give us a poorly designed mess.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Dessel posted:

I guess I'll really give GW2 another shot.

If anyone is bored and looking for another mmo may I suggest ESO. Such a sweet game. I only played a little bit but I won't stop recommending it, the questing is very fun.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Verranicus posted:

It's impossible for any MMO to give people so much content that they never run out of new stuff to do while maintaining the level of polish XIV has.

Dude, I'd do repeatable savage 4-mans and even PUG them for the hilarity/challenge of it, even if it's the same actual content.

more difficult, obviously. I phrased same content badly. Harder modes, different locales, I don't really care. I wouldn't mind repeating one or two 4-mans if they were a bit more difficult. Have some sort of randomized cosmetic rewards or materia or something you could turn into gil. Not entirely doable with just complete randoms, have some sort of daily cap for them. Yes, I can see the potential frustrations in that design too, but it'd be something
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 13, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... what are you saying here? That you'd do Savage dungeons endlessly if they were the same content as the normal dungeons? In what way are they "savage" then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'm chomping at the bit for square to put in 2.0 Palace of the Dead, nu-"floor 200 runs" or something on the lines of "Savage Dungeon Mode". Some meaningful 4 man content outside of the weekly chore of tomestones.