Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Speaking of raiding turns out one of the people in my static used the exploit ans got banned. Now we're out someone for kefka practice goddamn idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

... what are you saying here? That you'd do Savage dungeons endlessly if they were the same content as the normal dungeons? In what way are they "savage" then?

Same dungeon, but harder tuning is what I think they mean - as not to imply a whole new dungeon in the way a hard version of a dungeon pretty much is.

Nodosaur posted:

Huh? Yes there is. You've got to sit in the duty finder, and depending on time of day and your class, that can take up to more than twenty minutes. I have friends who play the game but their work schedules don't always align with the time I have to play the game.

I mean, it's doable, I've found ways to mitigate it with other things, but that's still a lot of time to spend.

and it's like 20 minutes to run the dungeon. It's maybe an hour tops of time per day, for a few days a week. ADR usually has quick queues even for dps and offers a bunch of tomes, and maybe lasts 30-40 minutes. You can even do some other game chores in the mean time like Gold Saucer and Beast Tribes. That said i wouldn't fault anyone if they don't want to sit on thier hands for most of their game time in the evening, but again this is sort of about how Eureka is a far more awful alternative.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 13, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

One thing I will absolutely give this game: it has the most visually stunning boss battles I've ever seen in an MMO. I was hugely impressed by Ifrit when playing in free trial mode my first time, and now I've just finished Bismarck. I've enjoyed other MMOs quite a bit and been impressed by their visual design, but FF14 is something to behold when it wants to be out there.

You haven't even gotten to the good looking fights yet. :allears:

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm curious if you'll feel the same way after you do the 'bookend' quest for HW. That's what really sold me on Haurchefant's sacrifice despite me being a PLD and going 'I COULD HAVE (probably) TAKEN THAT!'

Haurchefant just wanted to teach you how to do Thordan EX mechanics. It's your fault for not stacking behind him. :argh:

Cythereal posted:

I hope the story does something neat with her Garlean background

Her Magitek walker doesn't even show up again.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 13, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If they just did dungeons that they already had and tuned up the damage and changed nothing else, I would be pretty disappointed. That sounds like it's just replacing the existing version with one you need a higher ilevel cap for.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Speaking of raiding turns out one of the people in my static used the exploit ans got banned. Now we're out someone for kefka practice goddamn idiot.

Just to clarify they only got some hours/days/week worth of suspension right? Reading their announcement doesn't make me think any of the suspensions are permanent. Which is funny to me, because people running world first races wouldn't give a poo poo about suspensions anymore. Perhaps slight chance of missing some amount of coil progress time but who cares at this point in time? Blizzard kinda infamously did bans mid-progress during exploits at some point which was way more effective.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Thankfully no permabans but it still fucks up our whole team when they won't be available to do 5s-7s and start on the clown carnival.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MechaX posted:

I read stuff like this about FFXI a lot

And especially today, my main thought is “how in the gently caress did you people put up with this nonsense so long”

Because we were dumb teenagers with too much free time and no frame of reference for how things could be better. That's it. That's the secret.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You haven't even gotten to the good looking fights yet. :allears:

Haurchefant just wanted to teach you how to do Thordan EX mechanics. It's your fault for not stacking behind him. :argh:

Unless you think of its appearance as the in-game explanation for you being able to buy it on the Mogstation, just like that mission to wake up Omega is why you can fly the Red Baron.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm of the mind that they should have kept to the 3 dungeons + raid + story + trials each patch framework. It always gave me something to look forward to. When they cut it down to two dungeons I was legit disappointed. The people who were shouting at SE to "do something different" every patch are not the ones who are going to stay subbed to your game and remain loyal. They'll find -something- to be mad about and have an excuse to leave no matter what.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I figured. Lucia's a neat concept but they do nothing with her character, she's just an accessory to Ayemric.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

In what way are they "savage" then?

World of Warcraft: Legion introduced a "Mythic+" system for their dungeons, which are a step above the Heroic difficulty (which are a step above the Normal/leveling difficulty). Each week, you'd get a Keystone that you could use at the start of Mythic dungeons, which would gradually grow in power and increase the tier (which is theoretically infinite, but was around +0 to +10 at the start of Legion). Increasing the tier of a dungeon made mobs more difficult to beat, as well as increasing rewards commensurately. In addition to this, Mythic dungeons would have several "affixes" that would be randomly selected at the start of the week, with more affixes being added on to each Mythic dungeon the higher you went in tier. These affixes provided an additional, unique challenge, such as causing enemies to explode when they die, having enemy attacks debuff healing on the tank (requiring kiting and CC to let the stacks fall off), causing small volcanoes to spawn underneath people's feet, etc.

This was a great system for several reasons. First, it required a pittance of additional development time. A small handful of dungeons had additional boss mechanics added on, but you're otherwise looking at nothing more than coding the affixes and implementing the tier/reward system. Second, the increasing difficulty in terms of both overall statistics was matched by a simultaneous increase in terms of mechanics due to the affixes adding on an additional layer of complexity that wasn't just a simple stat check, as well as the randomization of affixes shaking things up from week to week. Finally, it provided a path for smaller groups or more independent players to progress, and its theoretically infinite scaling meant that you would always have a challenge to climb towards, with appropriate rewards waiting at the end.

Part of the reason I think this is such a good idea for FFXIV is that FFXIV has an almost absurd amount of legacy content that doesn't get used at all beyond running through it at warp speed for whatever the second tier tomestone of the patch is. You could easily set up a system where a curated selection of dungeons both current and legacy are available each week for Savage difficulty, with a similar affix system to Legion (or even something like FFX-2's Oversoul system), that gave good rewards based on your weekly performance. I would absolutely run the poo poo out of something like that, because it provides a constantly changing challenge that I can continue to climb through. The fact that they haven't tried to develop a similar system tells me that they either haven't been paying attention to how much a shot in the arm Legion was to WoW (and given how awful Eureka is compared to any of Legion's endgame zones, it's not outside the realm of possibility) or that their internal metrics show that a substantial portion of the playerbase doesn't do anything more except, like, log in once a day to do EXDR and then chat with their friends.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 13, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
To each their own but I stopped playing Legion when Mythic+ grinding became the meta. I think the concept can be implemented sensibly (I love rifts in D3); I worry when it dominates free time and it excludes based on arbitrary reasons (especially in a game with a more inclusive philosophy).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Verranicus posted:

It's impossible for any MMO to give people so much content that they never run out of new stuff to do while maintaining the level of polish XIV has.

The problem is that all the new stuff sucks. They generally kill the story, trials, dungeons and raids and then gently caress up everything else at every opportunity. And they keep paring back the content they are good at it to make content that is bad. I would absolutely, 100% rather have kept getting dungeons over diadem, eureka, and potd at least in the incarnations we have gotten them. To say nothing of lovely B-tier features like Verminion and fashion report. Definitely rather have had a new frontline over Astrologos.

And it's implementation too. Potd would have been fine if it had been had been half the length with stops every 5 floors. Eureka could have been perfectly acceptable if they had just made Diadem 2.0 but with frequent boss fights that had actual mechanics. It would still be mediocre but I would begrudingly do it like I did the light grind.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, the roulette system exists the way it does because they want people to be playing the older content to help lower level characters rise through the ranks. Beefing up rewards and doing what you're suggesting sounds like an easy way to get people to stop doing that and focus on the "savage" content, leaving whatever help people can get to the flawed Mentor system.

All I know is that when I played WoW I had an extremely hard time getting in the dungeon finder and it felt like they were basically trying to enforce a model where you had to buy and use a level skip, and well. I don't want that at all.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

isk posted:

I think the concept can be implemented sensibly (I love rifts in D3); I worry when it dominates free time and it excludes based on arbitrary reasons (especially in a game with a more inclusive philosophy).

Oh, absolutely. I didn't think there was any good reason to lock Mythic+ out of the regular ol' Group Finder. Its implementation wasn't perfect, but its core concept is a great idea for an MMO, especially one like FFXIV where high production values and a low budget tend to butt heads when it comes to developing new content.

Nodosaur posted:

All I know is that when I played WoW I had an extremely hard time getting in the dungeon finder and it felt like they were basically trying to enforce a model where you had to buy and use a level skip, and well. I don't want that at all.

My experience even before Legion was that, much like FFXIV, everyone wants to play some hot poo poo DPS character and no one wants to tank or heal. I got near-instant queues while leveling up a new Paladin at the tail end of WoD.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 13, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vermain posted:

Oh, absolutely. I didn't think there was any good reason to lock Mythic+ out of the regular ol' Group Finder. Its implementation wasn't perfect, but its core concept is a great idea for an MMO, especially one like FFXIV where high production values and a low budget tend to butt heads when it comes to developing new content.

My experience even before Legion was that, much like FFXIV, everyone wants to play some hot poo poo DPS character and no one wants to tank or heal. I got near-instant queues while leveling up a new Paladin at the tail end of WoD.

From what I've heard (so take it with a grain of salt), XIV development is running into the issue of competent MMO devs rather than budget.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, the roulette system exists the way it does because they want people to be playing the older content to help lower level characters rise through the ranks. Beefing up rewards and doing what you're suggesting sounds like an easy way to get people to stop doing that and focus on the "savage" content, leaving whatever help people can get to the flawed Mentor system.

I haven't touched any roulettes apart from expert/70 in MONTHS because doing them is incredibly boring when you get synced down. Sometimes I may feel like a trial because it's so fast. And I have no interest in leveling other jobs right now. Same applies for everyone I know too. The target audience for leveling roulette and savage dungeons wouldn't overlap that much to be honest.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Almost everything introduced in the minor patches ends up terrible and dead in a week. Can't wait for the blitzball reskin of lords of verminion in 4.35

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can guarantee you that most people at max level doing roulettes would drop them if there was something that gave better rewards. That's their entire motivation for doing them. You'd be leaving a good portion of the playerbase high and dry.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
most of the roulettes already actively don't give you good rewards and people still do them. at this point I'm not even convinced you're talking about FFXIV and are accidentally posting about some kind of tiger electronics handheld gambling game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You get up to date tomestones from doing the roulette the first time each day at level 70. Vermain was talking about taking old legacy content and adding the scaling difficulty/rewards to it. Without that the only ones doing the normal dungeons are going to be the people going through the MSQ or trying to level.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Eureka is stupid and boring. It's probably the most tone deaf thing they've ever put in the game aside from Diadem.

It's like they misinterpreted every piece of criticism Diadem received.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Who the gently caress set up these dye layers, are they blind

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

You get up to date tomestones from doing the roulette the first time each day at level 70. Vermain was talking about taking old legacy content and adding the scaling difficulty/rewards to it. Without that the only ones doing the normal dungeons are going to be the people going through the MSQ or trying to level.

and? that probably would not go away. doing non-ex roulettes already isn't the best way to cap tomes, and people still do them in droves.

also, most people aren't super concerned with the speed they cap tomes at. it happens organically with how most people play the game.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

I'm of the mind that they should have kept to the 3 dungeons + raid + story + trials each patch framework. It always gave me something to look forward to. When they cut it down to two dungeons I was legit disappointed. The people who were shouting at SE to "do something different" every patch are not the ones who are going to stay subbed to your game and remain loyal. They'll find -something- to be mad about and have an excuse to leave no matter what.

did you run out of bad posts and copy a good one by mistake

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
At this point it almost seems like every time they give the FFXI guy a project and release it to near-universal disgust, they're doing it just so that everybody stops whining about them adding more FFXI content to the game.

Problem is, people just go "This isn't like FFXI at all!" because they don't realize that the reason they remember liking FFXI has nothing to do with the gameplay of that game and if you just re-skinned FFXI into FFXIV wholesale, everybody would rightfully despise it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

troofs posted:

At this point it almost seems like every time they give the FFXI guy a project and release it to near-universal disgust, they're doing it just so that everybody stops whining about them adding more FFXI content to the game.

Problem is, people just go "This isn't like FFXI at all!" because they don't realize that the reason they remember liking FFXI has nothing to do with the gameplay of that game and if you just re-skinned FFXI into FFXIV wholesale, everybody would rightfully despise it.

the "wants more ffxi" population is really small, at this point i have to believe that SE is adding this content because they personally think it is good rather than an appeal to a demographic which doesnt really exist in meaningful numbers

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah honestly unless the relic weapons end up looking absurdly amazing looking I'm not going to bother. So far they look meh.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Countblanc posted:

the "wants more ffxi" population is really small, at this point i have to believe that SE is adding this content because they personally think it is good rather than an appeal to a demographic which doesnt really exist in meaningful numbers

It was my understanding that they're relatively a much bigger (and louder) proportion of the user-base in Japan, which is the user base that the devs tend to pay way more attention to, but if I'm wrong about that then my bad.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Hopefully by the time my monk is 70 they’ll have fixed eureka. If not I can just go back to other games, because eureka sounds awful right now lmao

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
At this point I'm not sure what they could do to save Eureka, outside of replacing almost all of the monsters. Nobody likes to fight trash, so just swap out each grouping of enemies for a big beefy boss with actual mechanics. Why not have a big chameleon enemy that changes elements as the fight goes on, forcing you to rotate tanks? What about some kind of sorcerer that attacks with various elements, or a robot that puts elemental landmines that need to be cleared by someone in the right spec or else they blow up on everyone nearby?

But nah, we just get trash mobs that auto attack you and occasionally use an AoE. Super interesting...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rainuwastaken posted:

At this point I'm not sure what they could do to save Eureka, outside of replacing almost all of the monsters. Nobody likes to fight trash, so just swap out each grouping of enemies for a big beefy boss with actual mechanics. Why not have a big chameleon enemy that changes elements as the fight goes on, forcing you to rotate tanks? What about some kind of sorcerer that attacks with various elements, or a robot that puts elemental landmines that need to be cleared by someone in the right spec or else they blow up on everyone nearby?

But nah, we just get trash mobs that auto attack you and occasionally use an AoE. Super interesting...
Yeah, the elemental system is currently basically meaningless because there's no good reasons to be switching while you're chain-pulling 30 of the exact same mob over and over. The mechanics and incentives in place make sure that nothing interesting ever happens.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

They are a very tiny minority but they are incredibly vocal and tend to dominate the OF except right now when a bunch of people that normally ignore that cesspit are rage posting. Reddit too but Reddit has bad opinions, news at 11.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Ffxi apologists saying this isn't ffxi do exist. :O

It's about ethics in item gaining guys!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Reiterpallasch posted:

did you run out of bad posts and copy a good one by mistake

No this is my actual opinion.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It'll be fun to see how this plays out with relics locked behind Eureka. The last couple times Diadem died no one really cared, but this one would take their premier casual quest line with it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Are there any good Fat Sheathe Katanas I need something equally hideous to go with the full Warwolf Striking set but everything on the marketboard up to the level 54 I'm at with Samurai is far too elegant.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

Are there any good Fat Sheathe Katanas I need something equally hideous to go with the full Warwolf Striking set but everything on the marketboard up to the level 54 I'm at with Samurai is far too elegant.

Lost Allegan.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

MelvinBison posted:

Lost Allegan.

I said I'm only 54! :argh: Once I hit 60 I'm making a sicklazy Jetstream Sam cosplay using the Rising Dragon set and past that I dunno I haven't seen the SB stuff yet because I haven't played since 3.2 really. that one does work though i just wish it wasn't level locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kitfox88 posted:

You want the Tremor Katana/Katana of Crags.