Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Kongming posted:

I think you're being too harsh on Ninja, not to mention half of this stuff is exaggerated, untrue, or not a problem specific to the Ninja job. As a big Ninja player in both FFXI and FFXIV I feel the need to defend my beloved profession.

That might be stockholm syndrome.

Or my memory may be bad. Allowing for this because I pretty much dropped FFXI the very minute WoW came out, so it's a pretty distant memory.

But I know I tried playing it, and it stands as the single least fun thing a video game ever did with me.

Like 100% though on it not being an issue exclusive to Ninja. Just that it was so deeply egregious there because of how much player-driven hype for it as not only a tank but the tank existed at the time.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I've actually really enjoyed 3 hours of grouping with random people for Eureka XP grinding. Am I broken?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Ohtsam posted:

I've actually really enjoyed 3 hours of grouping with random people for Eureka XP grinding. Am I broken?

Were they your first three hours? Cause you can from like, levels 1-5 in that time.

Level six will take you another three hours

Level seven will take you another three hours

Your next story mission after 5 isn't until 13.

It only gets worse from there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Were they your first three hours? Cause you can from like, levels 1-5 in that time.

Level six will take you another three hours

Level seven will take you another three hours

Your next story mission after 5 isn't until 13.

It only gets worse from there.

I got from 1-7 in 3 hours, though admittedly that does include NMs spawning. It does however involve pretty blatant grinding of specific areas.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Schneider Heim posted:

Everything I hear about FFXI just smacks of bad design, was it ever a good game?

Hey guy, it's me, the goon that loved FFXI. Yeah, THAT'S RIGHT. How about we sit on these chair backwards, turn our caps around, and rap, you know?

Here's some real talk -- like I said, I loved it, but as much as I am a ardent defender of it, I have no illusions of what it was. And of course, it was a archaic patchwork of obscure designs and what I can only surmise was a multitude of blood pacts with various demons in order to get the game to work.

Still, I loved it. BUT, there is a huge reason why I loved that game, that game being my first MMO -- my fellow goons.

I joined the Midgoonsomnr linkshell and found a great group of people that I could play and chat with. Honestly I probably spent more time chatting with goons than actually playing the game.

FFXI and goons were magic. You naysayers can't take that away from me!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hey guy, it's me, the goon that loved FFXI. Yeah, THAT'S RIGHT. How about we sit on these chair backwards, turn our caps around, and rap, you know?

Here's some real talk -- like I said, I loved it, but as much as I am a ardent defender of it, I have no illusions of what it was. And of course, it was a archaic patchwork of obscure designs and what I can only surmise was a multitude of blood pacts with various demons in order to get the game to work.

Still, I loved it. BUT, there is a huge reason why I loved that game, that game being my first MMO -- my fellow goons.

I joined the Midgoonsomnr linkshell and found a great group of people that I could play and chat with. Honestly I probably spent more time chatting with goons than actually playing the game.

FFXI and goons were magic. You naysayers can't take that away from me!

It wasn't the gameplay you loved. It was the community and experience. There's a difference.

I say that with FFXI also being my first MMO. I have fond memories of the game community, world and music but the gameplay itself was really awful.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ohtsam posted:

Yes. Or a NEET/Teen with too much time on their hands which is the same thing in the end really.

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah, reading about Eureka makes me want to nope the hell out of it, is it really necessary for progression or for hardcore players only?

Also last night I queued up as a healer in leveling DR and got into a group within a minute, at 4 AM JST. Man...

It isn't necessary in the least but man am I furious about it regardless!!!

Been unironically thinking about cancelling my sub all day. I've been playing for a long rear end time and most of the long term goals I've had are accomplished. I knew Eureka was going to be terrible but if it was at least as mediocre as Diadem 2.0, I would have relatively happily ground out this relic. But Eureka is disastrously bad. It is so bad it saps the will to do the other content because now there is a looming fear that this will be the status quo going forward since it's been a hallmark feature of 3 separate patch cycles now if you want to roll it up with Diadem 1.0 and 2.0.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Verranicus posted:

It wasn't the gameplay you loved. It was the community and experience. There's a difference.

I say that with FFXI also being my first MMO. I have fond memories of the game community, world and music but the gameplay itself was really awful.

Hey guy, it's me again, that weird dude that actually wishes FFXIV used FFXI's combat system.

I liked the auto attack normals, building TP to use skills and skill damage being dependent on the amount of TP usage, two hour abilities, enemies having damage type and elemental weaknesses, lack of instances (as compared to FFXIV), and overall FFXI. Also Summoner was cooler and I want my goddamned Dancer.

It was what it was. I enjoy FFXIV in its own way.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Some people really want to go back to the Dark Devices days.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Hey guy, it's me again, that weird dude that actually wishes FFXIV used FFXI's combat system.

I liked the auto attack normals, building TP to use skills and skill damage being dependent on the amount of TP usage, two hour abilities, enemies having damage type and elemental weaknesses, lack of instances (as compared to FFXIV), and overall FFXI. Also Summoner was cooler and I want my goddamned Dancer.

The avatar summon-S were cooler. The job Summon-ER was not. It was a glorified buff bot.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

None of these people gently caress.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So Gerolt breaks down the NM crystals into the smaller ones? I guess that's....I dunno, something? I thought he was turning them into lock boxes.

Eureka is AIDS and I'm glad I never got FFXI.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SonicRulez posted:

So Gerolt breaks down the NM crystals into the smaller ones? I guess that's....I dunno, something? I thought he was turning them into lock boxes.

I don't want to defend ff11 too much because FF11 was bad as gently caress, at least when I played from Zilart to CoP, but The experience that Eureka tries to emulate was definitely more... "fun" than the implementation in Eureka. The thing about FF11 is that it was paced such that you didn't really need to do all that much while playing it, depending on your job. Most abilities had cooldowns over a minute.So even though you were tediously grinding monsters, the required inputs were so few and far between that you could make up for how lackluster it was by being actually sociable with your party members. You just don't have that kind of time in FF14's combat system and things are such where you kinda need to also always be on in Eureka because if you aren't you tend to get one shot.

I really want to stress that I think ff14 is a lot more fun than ff11 ever was. I am more emphasizing how badly Eureka misses the boat on all fronts. Not even a lot of ff11 diehards are going to get much from it.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

It's not worth it. You get 3-5 crystals in exchange for 1 rare as poo poo one.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Asimo posted:

Having played this a bit more... it's still pretty bad. I know, I know, it's less than a day in, but I'm already tired of rounding up and AOEing random trash, or spending ten minutes whittling down an NM sack of HP.

The level scaling is absolutely going to kill it in the long run though. Speaking from experience, a level 1-2 in a party of level 4-5+ is basically useless; they're going to aggro everything on the way to the hunting spot and get 1-2 shot by anything at the level the rest of the party is fighting. Unless the scaling changes as you go up in level, any similarly small spread in a party is going to be horrible for at least some of the people involved. And of course soloing to level is pointless and there's no group matching. :geno:

:lol:

Actually if they come as a healer they aren't too bad off. A level 1 healer is more useful then ANY other class because while they don't do poo poo for damage heals are entirely unaffected by your eureka level. If they ever piss someone off they are going to fall over instantly but if you keep the agro off them and they keep their distance they can be useful and get power leveled up facing the higher level enemies you are fighting. (Had a party do this for him earlier and then do it for a whitemage as we slowly ground our way to 6.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Verranicus posted:

THAT is the core of the issue. For comparison's sake, I loving loved vanilla WoW. I didn't love vanilla WoW because it was vanilla WoW, I loved it because I was in a crazy guild of cool people. I can tell countless stories of the shenanigans that happened or the things we went through together. I'm not telling stories of how bad the leveling experience was back then or how holy priests couldn't effectively kill an equal level mob while leveling and there was no dual spec.

Vanilla WoW was successful because it just happened to be the right game at the right time. Yes, they modernized a lot of things compared to the prior generation of MMOs, but so much of if it was rear end backwards still.

MMO's are not what they used to be because the world has changed. The internet has changed. I mean, it's loving crazy when you think about it. It has been 14 years since vanilla WoW came out, which feels like an eternity in gameplay terms, is a loving microscopic of amount of time in reality.

Think about the loving world in 2004. No one had smart phones. Sites like youtube didn't exist. A very large percentage of people were still confused about what the internet even was.

Look how much technology and the internet has changed. People who loved WoW (and FFXI) often came from earlier generation MMOs - meaning these were the people that were the wild west settlers of the internet. I mean, gently caress man, I was playing MUDs back from 1998-2004 until I started playing Guild Wars. You want to talk about nostalgia and archaic systems, lets talk about MUDs.

People put up with a bunch of lovely gameplay because they were the "wild west settlers" of the internet. They formed communities because they all had this similarity.

Times have changed. The internet has changed. We can't ever go back and recapture that zeitgeist that was the heyday of vanilla WoW or FFXI because it was more than just the game, it was the culture at the time. Anyone longing for those games to come back in the form of Classic WoW or whatever is just longing for a time period to come back that can never come back.

Is this my first non-reddit repost today?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I like Eureka.

Change my mind. :smug:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

.... The thing about FF11 is that it was paced such that you didn't really need to do all that much while playing it, depending on your job. Most abilities had cooldowns over a minute.So even though you were tediously grinding monsters, the required inputs were so few and far between that you could make up for how lackluster it was by being actually sociable with your party members. You just don't have that kind of time in FF14's combat system and things are such where you kinda need to also always be on in Eureka because if you aren't you tend to get one shot.

This exactly. I didn't play FFXI but I did play Everquest, and the thing that made the grind so much more bearable was the fact that combat was slow enough that you had time to actually talk to your group members. This was in a time before voice chat, when the internet was young. MMOs in those days were basically chatrooms with combat mechanics. It was the social aspects and the community that made those games, not the horrible game design.

Eureka has the horrible game design of early 2000s MMOS but not the community, as you can't really recapture that and you don't have time anyway because you need to hit a button every GCD or else the exp flows even more slowly.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
As someone who played FFXI it took me couple years to get into WoW and play it to any bigger degree, mainly cause nearly none of my friends liked it at the time, and playing it solo was just an awful experience grinding lovely quests with with barely any context and no real story to the world other then "look, look! this is warcraft ya'll!" and a huge chunk of WoW players felt very hostile and selfish in what little group content you could get into.

Having said that, to me (back in the day) WoW didn't feel like this huge improvement over FFXI, and the things WoW did innovate in the genre I personally didn't feel was worth it over what it lacked that XI had (mainly story, music, graphics and a good community).

Both are very lovely games in today's standards (and even 10 years ago standard) due to their archaic systems, but back then people still played because they where the best we got and also for some; by the time new more modern stuff came out you already had so much time invested in them that it was hard to jump ship.
That and having good in game friends is what made both games last way longer then they otherwise would have.

Now that being said, what the hell where devs thinking wasting time on garbage content that even remotely mimics that era? Then again WoW classic servers is a thing and was apparently heavily requested so what do I know?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I logged in and got my item level three hundred and sixty weapon and then logged off. It was p. nice. Would recommend.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My hot take on Eureka after a couple hours of grinding:

It definitely has potential but needs more QoL love. My thoughts:

- FATEs should spawn a little more frequently, or have spawn triggers (unless they do already)
- Needs to be made clear that the aethernet will not work until you get to a certain point in the quest chain
- Regular repeatable challenges/quests with rewards such as Protean/Anemos crystals

That's all I got. And I don't have the time or energy to get upset over side-content in an MMO.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Unless you've actually played FFXI for more than a few nostalgic days/weeks in the last 5-7 years, I'm gonna keep contending that you're looking back on a very flawed game and conflating the good times you had with friends and the perfect storm of age/time/whatever with actual enjoyment of the game's systems. It's okay to admit the game was poo poo and still have good memories of it.

If you -have- played the game in the last few years for more than a few minutes and still had a good time? You're just a broke brain I guess. I've tried three times in the last decade or so to return to XI and from the technical limitations to how empty the world now feels, without the friends and active community it is hot, hot garbage.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

- FATEs should spawn a little more frequently, or have spawn triggers (unless they do already)
The Notorious Monsters have pretty simple triggers. The zone just has to kill enough of a specific enemy, subject to cooldown between repeat FATE spawns (and possibly time of day/weather?). So like kill enough Flowering Sabotenders and Sabotender Corrido should pop right up.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm hoping Eureka is actually a trick to draw out all the FFXI lovers and once they're roped in, it'll trap them inside and send them back to that game.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Then it'll be like that anime where if you die in the game you die in real life.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the EU crew still kicking around on Omega? I've tried to stick it out on NA out of some weird dumb Internet Loyalty to the server I started on but trying to play any DPS class or trying any difficult content has become extremely frustrating.

I don't hate you NA pals but I'd like to be able to dodge things again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All these people saying Eureka is anything less then garbage are just trying to make hot takes to rile up goons.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There are actual broken peoole that love the idea of skillless grinds. Wish they kept it like how the zenith relic was.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Pierson posted:

Is the EU crew still kicking around on Omega? I've tried to stick it out on NA out of some weird dumb Internet Loyalty to the server I started on but trying to play any DPS class or trying any difficult content has become extremely frustrating.

Last time I checked, EU FC was alive and well. Come visit our underground sex dungeon maze.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

There are actual broken peoole that love the idea of skillless grinds. Wish they kept it like how the zenith relic was.

I don't mind a skillless grind, it just needs to actually be rewarding or decently paced. Grouping being basically required and and xp loss for death makes it even less attractive because now I actually need to expend effort to find a group and pay enough attention to not die.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I don't like fighting regular mobs with 0 mechanics besides step out of obvious line. It's really boring and the good thing in dungeons is they aren't the main focus.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Pierson posted:

Ay Pierson, come join Thyork and me (Totemeater) on the EU crew.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Choyi posted:

Now that being said, what the hell where devs thinking wasting time on garbage content that even remotely mimics that era? Then again WoW classic servers is a thing and was apparently heavily requested so what do I know?

Yeah those are (I want to say), a combination of people who want to rediscover America and others who look at Biff Tannen getting the sports almanac and go "drat I wish I was that guy."

Also since I just remembered it, here's a quote from a guy playing on a private server.

quote:

Dedicated players top guilds reach 60 in less than a week

It’s all about pre raid bis items now no longer about farming set gear

Cc does not exist in dungeons. Players are better now with proper stat farming so dungeons are a breeze

Raids are cleared the day released by top guilds. It’s more about how fast you can clear and not about clearing it. Aka bwl 28min

Lack of tanks later on for pre raid dungeons because 40man raids only have spots for 1main 1 off tank. Eventually you will have to pay tanks to do 5man dungeons or wait forever

Community only exist inside your guild after farming pre raid bis

Pvp is just pugs vs premade rank farming teams

War rogues make up 90 percent of melee dps

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Chucat posted:

Yeah those are (I want to say), a combination of people who want to rediscover America and others who look at Biff Tannen getting the sports almanac and go "drat I wish I was that guy."

Also since I just remembered it, here's a quote from a guy playing on a private server.

sounds about right. Also blizzard doesn't care if their vanilla server is popular or not. They know it won't be but it will most likely kill off any private server action outside of poors who can't afford a sub/and or don't care about connecting to some shady russian server that may go down every week. That's their entire goal with this vanilla server I think.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Progression servers sure as hell seem a better use of time and money then spending money on loving Vanilla WoW where all the raids are just giant sacks of hp. From a person that played on WoTLK progression that started in Vanilla i can't imagine doing the same with base Vanilla poo poo.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I put on some music, hopped into Eureka for an hour this morning before work, killed a few NMs, got some exp/crystals, and enjoyed myself.

I guess that makes me a broken weirdo. drat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is "I can listen to music" seriously the thing that makes Eureka not bad? Is this a meme?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

I put on some music, hopped into Eureka for an hour this morning before work, killed a few NMs, got some exp/crystals, and enjoyed myself.

I guess that makes me a broken weirdo. drat.

Nothing wrong with liking something a bunch of people dislike as long as you don't become some pub complaining about everyone being toxic and deadset on hating the devs or some poo poo.

Just disappointing this patch is basically nothing for me to have me do anything particularly new. Don't know if I should even bother with making my crafting main hands before 4.3 comes and prob has easier ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Leal posted:

Is "I can listen to music" seriously the thing that makes Eureka not bad? Is this a meme?

You can watch Netflix too.