Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I can totally buy this one under the assumption that the dude was willfully dense enough to not realize that they weren't applauding him because the were happy that he successfully haggled his two dollars back, but because the rear end in a top hat holding up the line over two dollars was finally leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

life is killing me posted:

I'm the 11 year-old who says things like, "karma, you lil bitch"

His writing seems 11yo, though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I can't believe a kid would be so disrespectful to his elder

He's a cyberpunk! He flamed his own dad!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

The all-caps, period after every word ending of this one reminds me of another STDH. It was Dr. Who related and involved chick sleeping in her car, being woken up by her ringtone which was the noise that his ship makes, so she pretended to by the Dr. and all flabbergasted that she was a female (which I guess dates the STDH now, since that's a thing that happened on the show?) anyways I'm pretty sure it ended literally the same way. BEST. DAY. OF. MY. LIFE.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The all-caps, period after every word ending of this one reminds me of another STDH. It was Dr. Who related and involved chick sleeping in her car, being woken up by her ringtone which was the noise that his ship makes, so she pretended to by the Dr. and all flabbergasted that she was a female (which I guess dates the STDH now, since that's a thing that happened on the show?) anyways I'm pretty sure it ended literally the same way. BEST. DAY. OF. MY. LIFE.

Yeah, some lady fell asleep in her car at the airport for some reason, and a bunch of nerds heard her doctor who ringtone and totally believed she was the doctor you guys for realsies. It was utterly sickening.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I, too, whisper action movie one-liners IRL.

This one just makes me sad for everyone involved: the customer for being desperate enough to fight over a $2 plastic box at a dollar store, and the dollar store employees who aren't paid anywhere near enough to deal with him. You all knew what this was.

(The sheer patheticness makes me believe it happened, though not exactly as narrated.)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

60 seconds later, the replacement box broke, meaning he deliberately broke it in the store so he could meet a scene.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

numberoneposter posted:

this was years ago in undergrad class upper level history seminar but i mentioned a pretty popularly well know scene in a TV show and the prof said "i dont own a TV" :smug: like as an interjection

and i said without missing a beat in my paragraph, "but you are aware of the invention." and then continued. the class laughed, he laughed too and i kept on going with what i had to say

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boring enough to be true

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

how do you get interrupted yet not miss a beat idgi

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

how do you get interrupted yet not miss a beat idgi

Better yet, how do you talk in paragraphs

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Better yet, how do you talk in paragraphs

You just keep talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no-one has a chance to interrupt

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Evilreaver posted:

You just keep talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no-one has a chance to interrupt

It's quite hypnotic

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Reddit 'prorevenge' really is the low-hanging fruit with 6k upvotes, though the most believable part is about Australian racism, just nothing else:

quote:

Not sure if this is petty or pro or whatever. You be the judge

My uncle is an Indian doctor. In the 90s there was a massive doctors shortage in Australia so the government gave him citizenship. Unfortunately you still had to sit 3 expensive exams to work as a doctor in Australia. These exams cost thousands of dollars, only happened twice a year, had limited sitting spots/times and had arbitrary pass/fail marks. So many Indian doctors ended up becoming taxi drivers/small businessmen etc. My uncle decided instead he would reapply and go through Australian medical school. Sure enough being a doctor for 10+years makes medical school easy and my uncle was top of his class.

He decided since he was already pushing 40 + had a family, he would apply to become a GP (family physician) instead of applying to be a surgeon like most of his teachers had suggested. At the time many desperate foreign doctors where applying for GP residency. They would essentially get treated like crap. They would be forced to work unpaid overtime. They would not be given proper study time or leave to sit mandatory exams. They would pocket the meals/accommodation/study/leave allowances that you were supposed to be paid by the training college. They would roster you to work every Saturday/Sunday shift and if you refused they would give you a bad review and your training would be jeapordised. This mostly happened to foreign doctors as most of them would be in bad debt and highly desperate for any sort of work.

When my uncle graduated, he applied for GP training in a practice that is located within an Indian ethnic enclave so that he would have access to religious food/schools etc for the kids. Sure enough this practice engaged in all of the above fuckery. My uncle would work every single Saturday shift. During his dedicated 'study' time he would have to come into work. He got reprimanded for not overcharging patients in line with their framework. Worst of all, when my aunt was really sick and hospitalised, they wouldnt give him any time off to look after her and the kids. The owner of the clinic was a white GP who was openly racist against Indians, Asians and Aboriginal people (who were a large percentage of the clientele of this clinic).

My uncle bided his 3 years and as soon as his documentation came through making him a GP, he quit that instant. He went down to the local bank and got a loan to open up his own practice. All his old patients quickly moved with him to the new practice. The first year he struggled but his practice quickly became known and word spread. Surprise, surprise foreign trained doctors actually work well and care about their patients if you actually care about them and give them appropriate wages/living conditions. More patients and more doctors looked to work with my uncle. Within 2 years my uncle had a GP practice that had 4 doctors, 2 nurses, 2 trainees and a manager. His practice easily rivaled his original teachers. He then started 2 more GP practices with the money he was pulling in. These practices trapped his old teachers clinic in a 2km triangle. He would advertise heavily and make sure he could take as much business from his old teacher as he could.

Within 5 years his old teachers practice went from hiring 6 doctors, 4 nurses and 6 trainees to just 1 doctor (his old teacher) and no one else. His old teacher tried to sell up his practice to other doctors but no one would purchase it given how successful my uncle's 3 surrounding practices were. He then tried to sell it to my uncle who refused to buy even at a ridiculously low sale price. Instead he waited for the bank to re-possess his old teachers clinic and then purchased it for a bit more money from the bank. My uncle then re-purposed the building into his main offices from where he runs his other 3 practices. He made sure to redevelop his old bosses room into a staff toilets just as one final tribute to the human turd that was his old boss.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
It gets even easier when someone has no idea about how university libraries work or are managed, or how they might be structured

quote:

To preface of course: LTL/FTP, on mobile, English is not my first language

Before I start, I want you to take everything I tell you with a grain of salt. Every bit of information I have is at least second hand and normally do not dabble in university politics or budgeting. I am merely a student that worked part time for the library department I am about to tell you about.

The whole thing unfolded over the last 2 years and just culminated in what I would deem the most professional way of handling the interest of the many in spite of the greedyness of the few.

So I am just a mere student at an university somewhere in Europe. The university has departments for a lot of different fields of science, but the two main players are economics and law. Both of them get anything they want, even if it happens by taking from others. When I was in my second year at this university, I started working in one of the libraries the university provided (there are four different libraries: law, economics, philosophy/languages, and math/science/political science/history) and was delighted to have an extremely committed boss.

Now about that boss, he was the born librarian, loving everything from upkeep of a library to doing research and providing all different kind of services for students. Before I came to his team he had implemented long hours in all the libraries (we were open from 8 in the morning till 12 at night), revamped the online search and added a 3-dimensional floorplan to make finding books easier, did reviews including the students learning the libraries four times a year, developed courses for students on how to do better research, which were made mandatory in a few areas of study and did a whole lot of other things, he truly was amazing. But as you can imagine all of this cost a lot of money and was only possible because he found a lot of sponsors, the biggest of which was some kind of investor who graduated from this university.

Him getting all this money on board and his commitment to the cause will make his reaction to the economics department building a totally unnecessary underground section of new rooms, which also meant basically rebuilding a whole wing of the main building and going vastly over budget, much more understandable. Half a year after I started the dean announced that there was a deficit in the budget of about 3 or 4 million euros. That in turn meant that the other departments had to take a step back and that the money from sponsors would go towards the project started by the economics department. About a month later the library only opened until 8 pm and the courses on research were disbanded. Not only that but the dean told my boss that he would have to fire at least a few of his full-time workers and give more hours and work to students like me, that normally would sort books in their free time.

Needles to say, he was royally pissed. He put about ten years worth of work into gathering money and building up his department and he wouldn't give that up without a fight. He started by going over his own books, which proved that his whole department before the cut was functioning well under budget and that cutting his ability to do his work was completely unjustified. He then looked over how much of the money he got from sponsors actually went to his departments budget, since when giving money to the university the investors weren't really able to demand where it was allocated. He found out that only about half of this money actually went into his budget (which of course wasn't a problem up to that point because he had more than enough). When the the next budget revision came along about a year after the budget cuts, he put forward that information and proposed an audit of the use and necessity of the building that was finished just then. You see, the economics department had argued that there weren't enough rooms to accommodate the rising number of their students. So over the next half year the usage of the new space as well as all old spaces was monitored. This audit was finished last year in August.

Meanwhile my boss started to groom the sponsors he had pulled on board. He asked them what they thought about how the university was managed, how happy they were with their money going to other departments and if they wanted to change anything. And they were not amused. A lot of these sponsors, including the very big one, wanted something changed. They didn't have any influence on the university politics directly, but the one who owns the money owns everything. So they went to the university and told them that they were unhappy, at which point the dean and everyone else in charge realized that if they don't change something, the money flow would dry out, only increasing the already way too big deficit.

Then the results of the audit hit. After monitoring for half a year the university found out that the amount of dedicated rooms before building the new project was more than enough and that the project specifically was not only over budget, but the same number of rooms would have been able to be generated by renovating an older building, for much less. The new rooms were also only open to students in the economics department and thus didn't really help the university as a whole.

In the end my boss got all his workers back, the libraries were again open till 12, his courses were reinstated and expanded and a larger chunk of the budget was allocated towards the library department. The economics department on the other hand lost a lot of privilege. The new space was opened up for all departments, other projects were put on hold and they were told that any further ambition that went over the now set-in-stone budget would have to be payed for by raising money from new sponsors.

I'm telling you this story today because my boss told me just this morning that he had raised enough money to renovate three of the four libraries, rebuilding (of all things) the economics library completely.

TL;DR: Econ department thinks they can go over budget and put the weight of it on other departments. Boss of the library department is pissed of and gets the sponsores to question the university, the university to question the Econ department and the whole budget to be overturned. Comes out with more money for everyone, less money for economics and three renovations for the students.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PST posted:

Reddit 'prorevenge' really is the low-hanging fruit with 6k upvotes, though the most believable part is about Australian racism, just nothing else:
The most unbelievable part is the idea of doctors deigning to be taxi drivers and whatnot because they didn't want to sit through some exams.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Haifisch posted:

The most unbelievable part is the idea of doctors deigning to be taxi drivers and whatnot because they didn't want to sit through some exams.

...you didn’t read that properly. There’s limited seats for the exams run 2x per year. It is a very real thing that a foreign doctor’s degree isn’t recognized in their new country, thus forcing them to reschool at their own expense. This means they have to support themselves doing non-medical jobs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Avenging_Mikon posted:

...you didn’t read that properly. There’s limited seats for the exams run 2x per year. It is a very real thing that a foreign doctor’s degree isn’t recognized in their new country, thus forcing them to reschool at their own expense. This means they have to support themselves doing non-medical jobs.
I knew that foreign doctors had to get recertified in their new countries, but I assumed how awful it was was exaggerated bullshit like the rest of the story. :shrug:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
That part of the story is pretty accurate, unfortunately.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I knew that foreign doctors had to get recertified in their new countries, but I assumed how awful it was was exaggerated bullshit like the rest of the story. :shrug:

honestly australians being horrible and racist is far from unbelievable.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

What annoys me the most about that story is they say "GP (Family Physician)" and I have to wonder if the guy even knows that it stands for "General Practitioner" or not.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gloomy Rube posted:

What annoys me the most about that story is they say "GP (Family Physician)" and I have to wonder if the guy even knows that it stands for "General Practitioner" or not.

In a lot of placed, GP is a "specialty" (yes, yes, I know), whereas Family Physician is analogous to Primary Care Physician, meaning that they are the doctor you go to all the time when you're feeling out of sorts and for check ups.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

the sign is on the inside of the door

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You can lock the door from the outside.

Anyway even if thats real, the only poo poo that happened is that guy definitely got fired and the boss hired the next teenager looking for work within a few hours.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Gorilla Salad posted:

the sign is on the inside of the door

who would even write a long rear end note like that?

Oh this is me - showing up to my minimum wage job - for some reason the door is locked, I can't get in; also I have a sharpie and some paper for reasons unknown. Let me soliloquize for a while instead of just...
you know
leaving

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
While I don’t believe this happened, there was a very brief period of time before I really thought about it where my brain decided the note-writer must have opened, had stuff to do that requires a manager? maybe? and decided to protest by refusing to keep the place open alone/taping the note to the door upon locking up and going home.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Note writers in general are just bad people. Thankfully an overwhelming majority of STDH note writers just put up the note long enough to take a photo and then took it down.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
I don't see why that note can't be real, store managers are by and large assholes and it wouldn't surprise me that someone got fed up with that kind of job.

The doors are locked because whoever wrote the note locked them after staying an hour longer than they were supposed to; it's not exactly rocket science.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

tyblazitar posted:

I don't see why that note can't be real, store managers are by and large assholes and it wouldn't surprise me that someone got fed up with that kind of job.

The doors are locked because whoever wrote the note locked them after staying an hour longer than they were supposed to; it's not exactly rocket science.

Besides, he wasn't even supposed to be there today.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tyblazitar posted:

He said "the doors are locked" because he showed up and the boss was over an hour late to open the store. He's supposed to have taped the note up and gone home because he stood outside for over an hour waiting for the boss to show up to unlock the store.

The problem is the note is on the inside.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

chitoryu12 posted:

He said "the doors are locked" because he showed up and the boss was over an hour late to open the store. He's supposed to have taped the note up and gone home because he stood outside for over an hour waiting for the boss to show up to unlock the store.

You're being really dense in order to be some Sherlock detective.

Employee is waiting for the boss to relieve them of a shift. Boss is over an hour late and hasn't communicated with said employee. Employee gets fed up, writes note, tapes to window, and then locks doors and leaves.

The doors are locked because there is no staff in the store. You can lock the doors from the outside. This isn't complicated.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Sometimes I forget how dense goons can be.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I actually kind of believe that one because they didn't spell out everything that happened. In convenience stores and places like Family Dollar, they often only have one employee at a time so if the boss was supposed to come in and replace the person but didn't show up or call to say what's happening, they could just lock the store and leave a note that is directed towards a specific person and not have to say "I came in and worked 6-8 hours and then waited for you".

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Lol who sends in resumes to work at Chipotle, like most minimum wage jobs they want to know your employment history and that's about it.

Unless minimum wage jobs have begun to request resumes for burrito-making experience, up to and including an essay about making the best burritos and being a team player

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

chitoryu12 posted:

No, because everyone is a bunch of idiots.

Person working, has keys to store to open. Boss is an hour late, so person inside store writes note with marker, tapes note to door, locks door, and mentions it so boss can’t claim easily store was left to be robbed. Small shop with low business levels would only have one employee in the morning and like hell any lazy-as boss is going to come by just to unlock in the morning.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Lol who sends in resumes to work at Chipotle, like most minimum wage jobs they want to know your employment history and that's about it.

...what...exactly is a resume in your part of the world?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Unless minimum wage jobs have begun to request resumes for burrito-making experience, up to and including an essay about making the best burritos and being a team player

Most minimum wage hellholes I was applying at early last year wanted full resumes. Why does a gas station need more than a one page application? Who knows but that's how it is now

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Len posted:

Most minimum wage hellholes I was applying at early last year wanted full resumes. Why does a gas station need more than a one page application? Who knows but that's how it is now

loving Walmart of all places had probably the most involved application I've done. They wanted me to attach my resume, then fill in a bunch of questions about education, past work etc (all of which was ALREADY ON MY RESUME) and then a 100+ multiple choice questionnaire asking me like "If you see co-workers doing something unsafe but you're already late coming back from break, do you: a)Ignore it, not your problem b) Stop and tell them what they're doing is dangerous c) Get back to your section and then tell your supervisor d) go and find their supervisor and tell them.

There were also a few questions like "It is acceptable to steal from your employer Y/N" Which I assume was just to weed out people just clicking answers randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

...what...exactly is a resume in your part of the world?

It's a mostly corporate thing or for companies hiring skilled workers with experience and/or college degrees. Full resumes and/or CV.

For something like Chipotle, McDonald's or any other fast food place or a gas station, all they really want is an application detailing where you've worked and your "special skills." You don't usually need prior experience, meaning you don't need a full resume or CV unless you're applying to corporate or for a management position.