Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Counternarrative: Humanity c. 1997 finds itself in the grips of some kind of interstellar war. They're allied with a bunch of magnificent fighters who have the shittiest logistics train imaginable. We need to fix this, and the best way is to use science-magic to rejuvenate all the surviving veterans of the Red Ball Express.

BRB sending a proposal to Baen

If we where in the midst of an interstellar war I would much rather draw wholesale the side that actually understood the importance of logistics then the side that was constantly crowing about the importance of willpower up until they ran out of fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hunt11 posted:

I would much rather draw wholesale the side that actually understood the importance of logistics
can i interest you in some

wallenstein

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Epicurius posted:

It doesn't. There are a few German heroic characters, I think, but when the alien space lizards show up and see the Nazis, they're like, "Wow, we freaking call ourselves "the Race" and even we think these people are crazy racist assholes."

There are two German POV characters in the Worldwar/Colonization series - Heinreich Jager (in WorldWar) and Johannes Drucker (in Colonization). Jager is a Panzer commander who also spends a lot of time doing commando-type work with Otto Skorzeny when he's between Panzers; while Drucker starts off as Jager's driver (during Worldwar, when he isn't a POV character) and transfers into the Luftwaffe space service between series and flies a nuclear-missile-armed space capsule.

Both are pretty much "clean Wehrmact" personified. Jager doesn't participate in any atrocities, but is able to look away until his association with Skorzeny and his unwilling association with the German nuclear weapons program (he helped provide them with stolen plutonium from a Lizard starship that was wrecked by Dora) forced him to actually look at what the Reich was doing to the "untermenschen". In the end, he defects to Poland to prevent Skorzeny from setting off an A-bomb during peace negotiations.

Drucker doesn't begin to look at what the Reich is doing until his wife is arrested for being a quarter-Jew. His connections manage to get her released, but break his faith in the system. After the Reich loses a nuclear war to the Race, he assists in the covert rearming of the nation, and it is implied that his friendship with the fourth Fuher will shift the Reich into a less evil direction.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Turtledove's craziest one imo was In the Presence of my Enemies in which a militarily-successful Nazi Germany collapses in a manner similar to the historical USSR around 1990 or so; it's told from the perspective of several secretly-Jewish people who managed to avoid the Gestapo.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Turtledove's craziest one imo was In the Presence of my Enemies in which a militarily-successful Nazi Germany collapses in a manner similar to the historical USSR around 1990 or so; it's told from the perspective of several secretly-Jewish people who managed to avoid the Gestapo.

The Man With An Iron Heart was pretty out there, as well as probably being his worst book.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 13th Mar 1918 posted:

Working parties as for the 12th

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

In the Presence of Mine Enemies was much better as a short story, where it's some crypto-Jews in future Nazi Berlin, who secretly celebrate Purim. It's right up there with his "Shetl Days". But I've always considered Turtledove a better short story writer.

And The Man with the Iron Heart wasn't his worst book, or particularly out there...it was basically an Iraq War analogue. His worst book was either one of the books in his "War Between the Provinces" series, or "After the Downfall", which is basically an homage to Poul Anderson's "Three Hearts and Three Lions" with the main character a Wehrmacht officer, which just doesn't work at all.

His most out there book still remains "The Guns of the South".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

that was my favorite tbh, it came as close as schlock military sci fi does to emotional depth and the subplot of the woman who's trying to get the regime to liberalize by saying "strasser would have believed this" was entertaining

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mr Enderby posted:

Are you William the Silent?
You just accused an Irishman of being a member of the House of Orange... on the week of St. Patrick's day :stare:

Be careful starting your car.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

C&Rsenal recently shot an old Italian Vetterli rifle converted to 6.5mm Carcano as a stopgap WW1 reservist gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qOEh_DwJR0

Two rifles blew up on them trying to test fire it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wonder how many times working parties in the first world war had to stop digging a moment to briefly remove human remains :smith:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wonder how many times working parties in the first world war had to stop digging a moment to briefly remove human remains :smith:

I'm going to assume really, really frequently.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Depends where you were, really. In one of those wrecked wastelands, far too often. Although for my money it's not nearly as horrible as being in a trench during a storm, which washes the wall away, which uncovers the body that the lazy bastards who were here three months ago just shoved into the wall and then covered up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Trin Tragula posted:

Depends where you were, really. In one of those wrecked wastelands, far too often. Although for my money it's not nearly as horrible as being in a trench during a storm, which washes the wall away, which uncovers the body that the lazy bastards who were here three months ago just shoved into the wall and then covered up.

I mean they didn't have a choice in the Dardanelles but christ just stepping out your dugout and meeting one of the previous regiments soldiers staring up at you from between the duckboards.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
early modern sieges, friends

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

wallenstein

Are his bones available? Might be able to extract some DNA.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Huh, in retrospect Worldwar was actually surprisingly nuanced and decent compared to its more contemptuous contemporaries.

The War that Came Early is very fun for me, albeit lacking in narrative compared to Worldwar. It's the book that's most easily modded into Hearts of Iron IV. I got halfway making the mod that would've added in the appropriate event chains to set off the various heel face turns France/Britain does if the War begins in 1938 (For Hoi2: Arsenal of democracy).

There were some interesting geopolitical implications, like without Churchill being alive, Roosevelt and the US has a much closer relationship with the USSR in the postwar order than with the more woobly Britain-France. The fighting on the eastern front stalls and is getting pushed back before the Germans can even reach Smolensk and I think Kiev never falls. The amount of devastation the USSR suffers is significantly less and Vlasov never defects.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Squalid posted:

Ah sorry, I have never touched a gun and have no interest in weapons/tanks/planes/ships from the point of view of the engineering. :shobon: I mostly read this thread for stuff like Cyrano's descriptions of NAZI bureaucracy. I like the gifs you post of planes getting shot down

I did look through your blog a couple times though to see if I could find anything manufactured by my great grandfather's company the Lake Erie Chemical Corp. i didn't find anything immediately, but does that name ring a bell? I know they were involved in the production of a lot of tear gas for police and law enforcement during the 1930s, and also production of military stuff like phosgene and smoke rounds, but I've never seen anything on what the company was up to during WWII.

Sadly there's usually no mention of the manufacturers of the various weapons on the blog, and its all good :) I'm mostly a boring poster here anyways, and I'm more than happy for the small few that actually check out the blog.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Cessna posted:

I nominate the 442nd Regimental Combat Team of WWII. Most decorated unit of its size in US Army history, composed almost entirely of second-generation American soldiers of Japanese ancestry whose families were in internment camps.

I wouldn't tap them for fighter pilots, though. Too near-sighted.*

*Disclaimer: I am yonsei. I'm also extremely near-sighted, but not as much as my (sansei) dad, who's at like -16 in both eyes. I probably wouldn't let me fly anything.

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Cultured Germans vs barbaric Asiatics.

The brutal Asiatic lacks our* valuation of human life, and thus for him the decision is not hard.

*See above

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DxClgfEhsU

Someone uploaded the complete coat sequence from Death of Stalin. That is a pretty sweet outfit.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Huh, in retrospect Worldwar was actually surprisingly nuanced and decent compared to its more contemptuous contemporaries.

The War that Came Early is very fun for me, albeit lacking in narrative compared to Worldwar. It's the book that's most easily modded into Hearts of Iron IV. I got halfway making the mod that would've added in the appropriate event chains to set off the various heel face turns France/Britain does if the War begins in 1938 (For Hoi2: Arsenal of democracy).

There were some interesting geopolitical implications, like without Churchill being alive, Roosevelt and the US has a much closer relationship with the USSR in the postwar order than with the more woobly Britain-France. The fighting on the eastern front stalls and is getting pushed back before the Germans can even reach Smolensk and I think Kiev never falls. The amount of devastation the USSR suffers is significantly less and Vlasov never defects.

This actually reminds me of something I keep meaning to ask. In The War That Came Early, one of the Czech soldiers finds himself in possession of a "13mm French Anti-Tank rifle" that he winds up using as a monstrous sniping piece. Poking around online, I can't find a reference to a French weapon that fits the description. It could have been a Boys, but that was 14mm. Did the French have an AT rifle in 1938 other than the Boys?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

wallenstein

That idea makes way too much sense.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Monocled Falcon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DxClgfEhsU

Someone uploaded the complete coat sequence from Death of Stalin. That is a pretty sweet outfit.
so baller

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Davin Valkri posted:

And the space bombers are the 588th Night Bomber Regiment?

I smell a goon project ! Someone PM me a time to chat about story outlines.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sadly there's usually no mention of the manufacturers of the various weapons on the blog, and its all good :) I'm mostly a boring poster here anyways, and I'm more than happy for the small few that actually check out the blog.

Ah well. At least I have a few good depictions of his civilian products:

A similar invention exploded during a demonstration, nearly killing my great grandfather. During the 1930s he was investigated for espionage by the FBI for transferring American chemical warfare and weapons manufacturing know-how to foreign states. He was even dragged before a Congressional committee to give testimony, and picked up by the FBI and interrogated at the Mexican border. Hoover was apparently concerned with his business with the Soviets. The investigations were all closed without any sort of charges being filed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

sullat posted:

Are his bones available? Might be able to extract some DNA.
They are. A dude in the...50s (??) said that because they were deformed and damaged that he had syphilis, but no more modern test has been done.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

This book mostly exists. Not WW2 but a big plot point is using alien tech that make 80 year old SS dudes young again to fight the aliens.

Watch on the Rhein* is the title by perennial TFR whipping boy John Ringo. It’s unabashed SS apologia and about 75% by volume clean wehtmacht SS

No poo poo full :smug: WELL . . . About the difference between waffen and political SS, the main SS character has a Jewish girlfriend, with hefty doses of how you need hard men for a hard fight.

Oh and the German Green Party sells humanity out to the space lizards who want to eat us because they worship Mother Earth and see humanity as a blight on Her perfection. Of course the valiant SS foils the diabolical plans of these perfidious Greens.

No really this is a book that was published. It is part of out common cultural heritage.

* it’s dual titled in German because of course it is

No poo poo, reading Watch on the Rhein made me so angry, it ended up being the first book ever that I threw away

If Kratman ever comes to Germany, I'm thinking of warning the police that a dangerous terrorist has entered the country because he is a terrorist-level writer :argh:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Reading mass grave archaeology, like you do
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5439951/

quote:

Because the battle took place in November, it is possible, in principle, that rigor mortis lasted a little longer than usual. We may assume, however, that a timely burial of the dead would have been the objective in order to protect the local population from disease. The features from Lützen and also those from Wittstock are obviously in contrast to the mass grave at Alerheim, where the dead had been exposed to the summer heat for at least six weeks and decomposition was already at an advanced stage by the time the bodies were buried.
Alerheim is where von mercy died, let's click around for references...
https://www.augsburger-allgemeine.de/bayern/Auch-ein-Zwoelfjaehriger-starb-in-der-Schlacht-id3592586.html

quote:

Alerheim: A Twelve Year Old Died In This Battle Too
welp :smith:

edit: Von Mercy is the guy that Conde later put up a memorial to on the battlefield itself, which was classy, but considering the timing of the construction of the memorial, he and the work crew might have walked past a field of six-week-old corpses to do it

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 14, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
However, if you die in camp you are not stripped: you're carried to the grave on a stretcher made of pikes and you are buried in your clothes, with your personal possessions. You are also buried inside the walls of the camp, which is A Thing. (Dead animals and probably the remains of butchery are thrown over the earthworks into the trench outside.)

They don't seem to have had a specific place of burial though, so a big army camp would have been a tent city but with no corresponding graveyard, just they dig holes uh...around.
http://www.lda-lsa.de/de/landesmuseum_fuer_vorgeschichte/fund_des_monats/2008/oktober/

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 14, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Can I just say that I appreciate how this thread became almost an entire page's worth of Zhukov's coat before diving deep into terrible alt-right sci-fi writing?

Tunicate posted:

generally baen series 'collaborations' like that are just written by one author with very little input from the other one - the honor harrington guy is on record complaining about how a co-author brought on for a couple books ended up seriously loving up the setting

The moment I read this I was thinking "Was it Flint? It was Flint, wasn't it?" Flint's brand of invincible liberal Americans never really seemed to play ball very well with the rest of Baen's lineup.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Assembled, primed, and painted this T-64 today. :buddy:

I painted this model of a T-64 - I'm pretty sure it is a T-64B, though the packaging isn't specific.

My question is, what are these two horizontal pipes on the back of the turret? I'm guessing some kind of stowage?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Likely a snorkel

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ah, yeah, that is definitely it. One pipe has a hooked end, and that'd make the other a extension.

Better picture of the same model kit, showing them pipes more clearly.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Geisladisk posted:

Ah, yeah, that is definitely it. One pipe has a hooked end, and that'd make the other a extension.

No, it's the periscope.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To properly try to simulate/wargame Deep Battle tactics/operations against NATO/US is 6 mm sized mini's the best bet in some sort of big car garage? Or can it be done with the regular sized miniatures from Flames of War (Not that I can figure out what the size scale is for theirs)?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

To properly try to simulate/wargame Deep Battle tactics/operations against NATO/US is 6 mm sized mini's the best bet in some sort of big car garage? Or can it be done with the regular sized miniatures from Flames of War (Not that I can figure out what the size scale is for theirs)?

FoW is 15mm/1:100. Not that model scale technically matters, it's going to be different to ground scale in any case (hence FoW parking lot syndrome). If you're really curious, you probably want this thread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd go with the 6mm with as big a table as you can still reach the middle of it. FoW is 15mm which is fine for skirmish but not for more than a tank or two per side.

e. And yeah, that thread.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Raenir Salazar posted:

"Deep Battle" is taking place over miles:

6mm is 1/285 scale. If you're trying to model true ground scale that 35km breakthrough will need a table roughly 400' long.

I'm guessing you want to deal with specific areas and not try to simulate the entire operation - as such, you can use pretty much any conventional wargame and call it "deep battle" through picking forces from a specific order of battle, like "Soviet VDV vs. NATO rear echelon troops." I think the 15mm models are really nice, but yes, 6mm makes for a more realistic looking game.

I really wanted to like Team Yankee. I've played FoW, its predecessor, for years and I really like TY's model tanks. But the game itself is pretty lackluster. I'm hoping the 15mm scale tanks I built for it will work with the upcoming Battlegroup: NORTHAG game.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of tanks, we want the 761st tank battalion - the Black Panthers - for our anti-Kratman fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Don't forget about the box marked FASCIST for dead American units comrade