Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

krysmopompas posted:

Putting an offer down, and it being accepted, doesn’t mean that the deal is done. You still have the opportunity for some due dilly and price readjustment based on what you find.

Of the 9 sales over the past 5 years in the building where I live, only mine was an as-is sale. Other folks had to have random fixes happen in order to close the sale. Even if it’s as-is, you can always walk away after the inspection if you see anything you don’t like.

It seems like if you would have had to do the same thing if you had been buying that house in any other market, just the timeframe and escrow fee might have changed.

It isn't how homebuying is done in general, but it is in California. Homebuyers are competing with investment buyers who don't ask any questions and don't even see the property before it belongs to them, if ever. It is super lovely but the CA market is lovely and insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Why is this loving legal?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Why is this loving legal?
People making money.

Honest reply, because the folks in place to regulate won't due to THE HOUSING MARKET. We're lucky there's a stipulation for mandatory Termite review.

Honestly, why the gently caress is it legal to list a home that has illegal or unpermitted additions?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

FilthyImp posted:

Honestly, why the gently caress is it legal to list a home that has illegal or unpermitted additions?

Probably because there’s so many people in this situation that it would effectively act like a regressive tax. The landed gentry have the resources to fix the problem and would benefit from a constricted market, since poorer owners would be blocked from selling, in an area with a growing population.

Not to mention it would be a massive handout to construction interests, which doesn’t necessarily get into labor’s hands in proportion to the community’s sacrifice.

Amnesty programs seem to work ok, letting things transition over time, while keeping everything out in the open.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
As someone who bought a house in a hot neighborhood in LA, the answer is basically "Get Lucky"

It was incredibly loving frustrating.

Though it has appreciated a hilariously large amount since I bought it, this market is nuts. LA needs to build tall buildings everywhere like Tokyo.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I just looked at a place with a garage converted to an apartment without permits, and my agent couldn't understand why I found that worrying. gently caress this market.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My last house in San Jose had a super lovely guest house in the backyard with a DIY sewer line cobbled together running above ground (covered by some planter boxes) connecting to the main house sewer line through a basement window. After we moved in we discovered the pipe had multiple cracks and was despositing the sewage directing into the planter box and under the guest house. For months.

Later we discovered from the neighbors the guest house was originally a chicken coop.

Didn't slow down the house being sold at all though, for ~100k more than we bought for!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, when you buy a house, you p much have to expect to have to dehumanize yourself and face to $50k-$200k of necessary repairs and improvements on top of whatever you're paying for the house itself.

In Silicon Valley, lots of house bids are made by people just bidding on the lot and who fully intend a complete teardown and brand new construction so the actual condition of the house really doesn't matter. Full of mold, leaking pipes, drywall has soaked-in bloodstains? Doesn't matter, it'll all get scraped down to the foundation pad.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 14, 2018

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FMguru posted:

Yeah, when you buy a house, you p much have to expect to have to dehumanize yourself and face to $50k-$200k of necessary repairs and improvements on top of whatever you're paying for the house itself.

In Silicon Valley, lots of house bids are made by people just bidding on the lot and who fully intend a complete teardown and brand new construction so the actual condition of the house really doesn't matter. Full of mold, leaking pipes, drywall has soaked-in bloodstains? Doesn't matter, it'll all get scraped down to the foundation pad.

Yeah we made the mistake of actually expecting to live there. Bad idea.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FMguru posted:

In a sick sort of way, this makes sense. If you're going to spend $2.5M on a quarter-acre plot, you might as well add another half million and plop your perfect dream house on it. (Or you could just sit on the money and retire to a beach house in Belize twenty years early for the same cost, but hey, who's counting?)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This is all disgusting to me.

Get you housing situation together California.

You can't be pro-liberal and against affordable housing at the same time.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

But how are the schools?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sundae posted:

In a sick sort of way, this makes sense. If you're going to spend $2.5M on a quarter-acre plot, you might as well add another half million and plop your perfect dream house on it. (Or you could just sit on the money and retire to a beach house in Belize twenty years early for the same cost, but hey, who's counting?)

Zillow says my mom's house in socal is 1.75M and it's probably worth more (jesus christ), but before she retires and moves to Carson City she has talked about putting 25k into redoing the kitchen or bathroom or something to "raise the value" and I keep telling her that at the required amount of money a theoretical buyer will command makes those improvements pointless because they don't want her ideas of improvements, and when you're forking out 2M what's an extra 0.1M at that point to have it the way you want?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

California is great at cognitive dissonance. Most people are in favor of the general idea of helping low-income/imigrants/homeless, but when it comes time to actually do what needs to be done to address these things most people are not willing to make any sacrifice.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CopperHound posted:

California is great at cognitive dissonance. Most people are in favor of the general idea of helping low-income/imigrants/homeless, but when it comes time to actually do what needs to be done to address these things most people are not willing to make any sacrifice.

Sounds like liberalism in general.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I see this all the time in local groups. The same old progressives that championed for Bernie and lament the out of control housing costs are the same people who show up to city council meetings to oppose any development.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The only development I oppose is more single-family tract homes, I'll take any medium-to-high density housing I can get, more sprawl and going deeper into the Grown Ponzi Scheme (https://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/) is not the answer. I got an empty lot behind me, go ahead and jam four stories of condos on it that I can see from my back porch, I don't give a poo poo.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
We need more dense housing! Uh, over there. Not here. Neighborhood preservation, you know. Can you imagine the traffic? And what about my sightlines!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The only development I oppose is more single-family tract homes, I'll take any medium-to-high density housing I can get, more sprawl and going deeper into the Grown Ponzi Scheme (https://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/) is not the answer. I got an empty lot behind me, go ahead and jam four stories of condos on it that I can see from my back porch, I don't give a poo poo.

Nah, I’ll take anything at this point. In any case, apartment living frankly sucks, especially if you have kids.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

We have to preserve the character of our neighborhood.

The character is no one talks to or sees anyone and we call the cops on colored people

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Reminds me of this great Onion article from 2000

The Onion posted:

Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others

WASHINGTON, DC–A study released Monday by the American Public Transportation Association reveals that 98 percent of Americans support the use of mass transit by others.

"With traffic congestion, pollution, and oil shortages all getting worse, now is the time to shift to affordable, efficient public transportation," APTA director Howard Collier said. "Fortunately, as this report shows, Americans have finally recognized the need for everyone else to do exactly that."

Of the study's 5,200 participants, 44 percent cited faster commutes as the primary reason to expand public transportation, followed closely by shorter lines at the gas station. Environmental and energy concerns ranked a distant third and fourth, respectively.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Nah, I’ll take anything at this point. In any case, apartment living frankly sucks, especially if you have kids.

No, apartment living sucks because modern suburbs are total wastelands for raising children and our sense of community has been utterly atomized and destroyed by late stage capitalism.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

CopperHound posted:

I see this all the time in local groups. The same old progressives that championed for Bernie and lament the out of control housing costs are the same people who show up to city council meetings to oppose any development.

I’m so sick of this. I had someone tell me they didn’t like some auto shop being turned into apartments in San Francisco because it would limit the amount of natural light going into her living room and her housemate would be sad because she liked to sit on the roof of that auto shop.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FMguru posted:

We need more dense housing! Uh, over there. Not here. Neighborhood preservation, you know. Can you imagine the traffic? And what about my sightlines!

Why don't they just put into law that they build these dense housings in every neighborhood?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why don't they just put into law that they build these dense housings in every neighborhood?

Comply with state mandated housing growth rates or get a homeless shelter and people bused in.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure what you mean, but Long Beach just tried it and they had to build a tent outside City Hall for the meeting because it had more angry old white people than a Trump rally.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Zachack posted:

Zillow says my mom's house in socal is 1.75M and it's probably worth more (jesus christ), but before she retires and moves to Carson City she has talked about putting 25k into redoing the kitchen or bathroom or something to "raise the value" and I keep telling her that at the required amount of money a theoretical buyer will command makes those improvements pointless because they don't want her ideas of improvements, and when you're forking out 2M what's an extra 0.1M at that point to have it the way you want?

This isn't necessarily true. Stupidly, doing improvements can still bump up the price even if buyers are looking to do a complete teardown.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Not sure what you mean, but Long Beach just tried it and they had to build a tent outside City Hall for the meeting because it had more angry old white people than a Trump rally.

That was a pretty wild response. I follow the mayor on facebook and his comments are filled with such vitriol from people whenever he announces wanting to improve anything.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

No, apartment living sucks because modern suburbs are total wastelands for raising children and our sense of community has been utterly atomized and destroyed by late stage capitalism.

Apartment living can be fine as long as the units have proper sound insulation (both between units on the same floor, as well as above/below). The worst thing in the world is when your upstairs neighbor has a girlfriend who brays like a donkey every time she gets drunk, which is 3-4 nights per week. gently caress...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Why wasn't there another tent of people who want affordable housing and to put pressure on the mayor to ignore the old people?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chadderbox posted:

Apartment living can be fine as long as the units have proper sound insulation (both between units on the same floor, as well as above/below). The worst thing in the world is when your upstairs neighbor has a girlfriend who brays like a donkey every time she gets drunk, which is 3-4 nights per week. gently caress...

Yeah it's very dependent on your neighbors, again this is because your poo poo landlord doesn't care that they put a family of four next to somebody who parties all night. If you actually had family-only zoned apartments it would help a lot.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why wasn't there another tent of people who want affordable housing and to put pressure on the mayor to ignore the old people?

Busy working, I imagine. Unlike old retired boomer fucks coasting on their huge pensions (that no following generation can get)

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Busy working, I imagine. Unlike old retired boomer fucks coasting on their huge pensions (that no following generation can get)

Mismatch of caring. There is likely some gently caress personally offended by some specific development. There is no existing constituency for a nonexistent building. Anyone who would be eventually helped would probably only be by a penny or less for any one specific building. We need hundreds of thousands to millions of more housing units. Who wants to deal with a crazy shitlord over any given one?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Gonna get hammered for this one probably, but the secret is most Californian homeowners aren't actually liberals. :v: The moment something personally inconveniences a stakeholder, you can count on them throwing morals straight out the window.

quote:

Mismatch of caring. There is likely some gently caress personally offended by some specific development. There is no existing constituency for a nonexistent building. Anyone who would be eventually helped would probably only be by a penny or less for any one specific building. We need hundreds of thousands to millions of more housing units. Who wants to deal with a crazy shitlord over any given one?

Also, any industry group which might care about that development interfering with their existing businesses can always find people to bring in to a meeting, even if they're from outside the community. We had people from all over the loving state showing up in the bay area last Sept-Nov because of how many towns had rent control measures on their ballots. Nobody wanted to risk that stuff spreading, so rental property groups from pretty much everywhere were canvassing non-stop.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Housing won't get fixed ever because it is the ultimate NIMBY issue.

People don't care about it unless they're looking for a house. Once they find a 'deal' or get lucky or whatever, they're like HAHAHA I GOT MINE, and don't care about fixing the issue for anyone else.

Sort of like how Prop 13 won't ever get fixed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Of course it will get fixed, but like most human projects it will have to fail catastrophically and cause vast amounts of pointless misery and scare the rich before anything is done.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Full Communism Now.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Own property. The right to vote in municipal elections. Pick one.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

They were working to afford the 1br apartment where they sleep in the living room to make it effectively 2br shared with with a friend.

From a voting standpoint people do want more housing but local politics is won by angry old whites with nothing but time on their hands to be assholes.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Full Urbanism Now.

Jaxyon posted:

They were working to afford the 1br apartment where they sleep in the living room to make it effectively 2br shared with with a friend.

From a voting standpoint people do want more housing but local politics is won by angry old whites with nothing but time on their hands to be assholes.
Even many of the angry old whites are okay with housing somewhere, just not where they live. Which is why these kinds of zoning decisions should be made by a regional agency that doesn't feel particularly beholden to any one neighborhood or city. Putting too much stock in "community input" just means "we'll do whatever the old rich people want". Funnily enough, the last Seattle mayor broke ties with the neighborhood councils for basically this reason:

quote:

Mayor Ed Murray dissolved all formal ties between the city and the 13 neighborhood District Councils last Wednesday, upending a system three decades old. Since then, reaction has ranged from surprise and anger from the district councilmembers, to praise from the system’s critics, who argue it isn’t representative of Seattle’s modern demographics.

In announcing his executive order, Murray pointed to a 2013 report on District Council demographics, noting that attendees of these councils were largely middle-aged white homeowners. Less than half reported having any people of color in their ranks.

“Our city has changed dramatically in the three decades since the district councils were created,” Murray said. “We have to find out how we reach people who can’t go at 7pm to a neighborhood meeting in a community center or church basement … immigrants and refugees, low income residents, communities of color, renters, youth, they’re not part of this process.”
https://crosscut.com/2016/07/seattle-neighborhood-district-council-mayor-ed-murray-upended-reactions

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Sundae posted:

Gonna get hammered for this one probably, but the secret is most Californian homeowners aren't actually liberals. :v:

Try this hot take on for size. Most Californians (that I've met thus far) aren't actually liberals.

As someone that was active in progressive community action in PA and NJ, I'm kind of shocked at how regressive this "solid blue" state is. I mean, everyone I meet talks big about gay rights, inclusive bathrooms, gun control, etc., etc. right before spouting off a sentence on economics that comes right out of "The Big Book of Reagan-era Beliefs".