Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
With Eureka being kinda mediocre for me, I guess I'll have more time to work on my crafting and gathering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Part of the problem is that this content hits the really dull spot in between "paying attention is boring" and the "I can shut down my brain and be social" aspect of a lot of the early MMORPGs it's trying to emulate because it's based on the core combat system of FFXIV that necessitates keeping your hands on WASD and your cooldowns if you want to survive and/or kill stuff at a reasonable rate.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

a medical mystery posted:

Part of the problem is that this content hits the really dull spot in between "paying attention is boring" and the "I can shut down my brain and be social" aspect of a lot of the early MMORPGs it's trying to emulate because it's based on the core combat system of FFXIV that necessitates keeping your hands on WASD and your cooldowns if you want to survive and/or kill stuff at a reasonable rate.

It's not engaging enough to where you want to watch a film or do loving quizzes in the chat channel. But you have to put in just enough effort to where you can't do that, so you're just constantly alt-tabbing to read poo poo and then someone dies and you just go "Oh I wasn't looking."

I mean the GCD in this game is so loving long you can probably just alt-tab constantly anyway.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah, it's actually a serious problem. I don't mind relaxing grinding from time to time; I like turning on a podcast and going off to farm mats for an hour or two. The difference between that and Eureka is that I can basically do gathering one-handed and otherwise take my time, whereas Eureka has too much actual combat (especially with the focus on kill chains) to do this comfortably.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

This. There are two acceptable modes :

1) Hard fights where you need to pay attention and react constantly, keeping you engaged and entertained.
2) Stuff that's so low key I can easily watch netflix at the same time.

Anything in between is just annoying. Like I mentioned before, back when I played Everquest I did a lot of this grinding trash gameplay. But the actual gameplay part consisted of me standing up to cast complete heal every minute or so, and chatting with my group the rest of the time.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'm not going to get all into ~analyzing the failings~ of Eureka because that would be putting way more thought into it than the designers apparently did. It just makes me a bit sad that there are people who value their time so little and developers who still think that's a great thing to bring to the table in spite of about 20 years of MMO development.

Sure, it's no so bad if you turn on podcasts/Netflix but why bother with the bad video game part of that equation? It sounds like someone saying jury duty isn't so bad if you bring a book. Why not just do something enjoyable on its own instead of paying a monthly fee for the opportunity to punch striking dummies for dozens of hours? I'll never get the appeal of it, I left that poo poo back in Ragarok Online like 15 years ago.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shy posted:

You can watch Netflix too.

You have to avoid aoes while making sure your own aoes are properly hitting as many mobs as possible, no you can't.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's just puzzling to me why they simply didn't do PotD again with either a different setting or a different scope. PotD had a little something for everyone: you could use it to level up alt jobs; you could earn some money off of it by getting sacks; you could slowly work your way up to a fairly good weapon for your main job; you could repeatedly run it for Potsherds to get rare items if you're one of those insane collectors; and there was a significant challenge that was added on after the main floors were complete for people who were simply looking for something difficult to prove themselves against. You could even do the majority of it solo if you either wanted to progress at your own pace or just enjoyed challenging yourself. Even the pomanders added more in terms of decision making and complexity than the dumb elemental wheel.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The secret best way to play Eureka is to just instance hop until you find an instance with a NM up. Go do the NM, zone out and repeat. The lazy way to is to just afk until one spawns in your instance then kill it and go back afk.

It's probably the same or better xp/h for literally zero loving effort

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Vermain posted:

It's just puzzling to me why they simply didn't do PotD again

PotD 2 but your aetherpool rating is spent to upgrade your relic weapon and there's cooler traps/pomanders. Kaboom.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Rainuwastaken posted:

PotD 2 but your aetherpool rating is spent to upgrade your relic weapon and there's cooler traps/pomanders. Kaboom.

Add my vote to this. PoTD2 , maybe with some more boss mobs and unique surprises, would have been a lot cooler.

Edit : But without those goddamn traps that pacify you for 30 seconds, gently caress those.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 14, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It also helps that I have a dual monitor setup so I can just push Youtube/Foobar/etc. onto the second monitor and manage it there. I also usually play DPS so I can afford to step away for a few seconds at a time if I want to adjust myself.

Not trying to justify the current state of Eureka; I make it work well enough for me. It's just something to do while I'm having my morning cup of coffee and catching up on news or podcasts or whatever. If it wasn't Eureka, it would be waiting for an Alliance Raid to pop, or grinding out mats for leve turn-ins, or turtle/snake quests, or any of the other several things I do in-game. And if I didn't enjoy doing it, I wouldn't.

Bolow posted:

The secret best way to play Eureka is to just instance hop until you find an instance with a NM up. Go do the NM, zone out and repeat. The lazy way to is to just afk until one spawns in your instance then kill it and go back afk.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put a stop to this with a cooldown timer for entering/leaving Eureka before X minutes have elapsed or something. For now though, :agreed:, get on that gravy train.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I thought the common consensus is that the big jenga tower in the ruby sea is gonna potd 2: up edition.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
what they need to do is stop making content that's only fighting a bunch of trash all the time. Diadem and eureka are bad, but potd and maps are just as bad. I think they could fairly easily salvage the latter two with some basic tweaks but i don't know what to do about this open world ghetto they keep trying to foist off on us.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brainamp posted:

I thought the common consensus is that the big jenga tower in the ruby sea is gonna potd 2: up edition.

I think it was mentioned that they were still working on a new Deep Dungeon at some point in the past, but why resources were devoted to Eureka instead of that is one of history's mysteries.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Brainamp posted:

These stairs go up!

Failboattootoot posted:

what they need to do is stop making content that's only fighting a bunch of trash all the time.

I don't mind PotD nearly as much because at least the trash in there dies incredibly quickly (until you get really deep but that's a different matter entirely). You're constantly moving forward, even if it is through copypasted hallways. The content isn't good, especially if you're spamming 51-60 over and over, but it could be so much worse. Eureka is just standing in one spot for two hours killing sabotenders as they respawn. It's about as fun as farming dhalmel hides or deepeye tears, which is to say it's ghastly.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I don't mind PotD nearly as much because at least the trash in there dies incredibly quickly (until you get really deep but that's a different matter entirely). You're constantly moving forward, even if it is through copypasted hallways. The content isn't good, especially if you're spamming 51-60 over and over, but it could be so much worse. Eureka is just standing in one spot for two hours killing sabotenders as they respawn. It's about as fun as farming dhalmel hides or deepeye tears, which is to say it's ghastly.

I think potd is salvageable. If it was 100 floors with breaks every 5 instead of 200 floors with breaks at the tens, while also letting you just queue for whichever series of floors you wanted instead only being able to start at 1, 50, or 100 I think, I probably would have finished it.

Same deal with canals really. I would like canals a lot more if there was a boss every couple of rooms and it was pared down to 5 rooms instead of 7. Honestly I would also like them more if they were rarer and had slightly better rewards to compensate for the rareness. It really drags to get map group together and then have to do 2 or 3 maps for each of those people.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 14, 2018

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Shy posted:

You can watch Netflix too.

It's how I get through MSQ Roulette when the party's not feeling chatty.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MelvinBison posted:

It's how I get through MSQ Roulette when the party's not feeling chatty.

I'm a single monitor scrub but I enjoy MSDR as a good time to get caught up on podcasts.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I spent something like four? hours in Eureka yesterday spread throughout the day.

It's okay, I guess. If you're only interested in the lore you can wait until your one friend leveling in Eureka is 20 and have them carry you up, since while exp is split between party members you get exp relative to the level of the monster you're fighting. I also tagged a couple of NMs, and got a bunch of fireworks and materia from lockboxes.

I think it'd be a good place to introduce battlecraft levequests, especially since I've let my leves cap out after getting all my crafters to 70. Having stuff for gatherers to grab would also be cool, since we're not in Diadem's hellscape of true sound mobs hovering over mining points.

E: oh yeah my hands also started hurting by the time I ran my 2nd exp party. That's bad, they should do something about that.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 14, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eureka almost made me fall asleep. The last MMO to almost do that was SWTOR. Eureka makes me worry about the future of XIV because even if they somehow didn't spend a lot of development time and money on it, they sure as hell kept hyping it up as worthwhile content.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Argas posted:

Eureka almost made me fall asleep. The last MMO to almost do that was SWTOR. Eureka makes me worry about the future of XIV because even if they somehow didn't spend a lot of development time and money on it, they sure as hell kept hyping it up as worthwhile content.

Hasn't it been hinted at since release and probably why we've only getting two dungeons a patch, atleast partly. I somehow doubt this was rushed unless this is a FF15 situation where they constantly tore it down to rebuild until months from release date forcing them to make a half assed half made product.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
To each their own - for my bit, I'm not angry with Eureka or pessimistic about FFXIVs future. It's not a great experience for most but I'd say it's the first content miss since Midas Savage. I also kept my expectations low because lol Diadem (but I get how others felt hype). If it's still lovely after a year of updates that took so much dev time that other parts of the game notably suffered (Hildibrand, Omega, Ivalice, etc.) then I'd be more concerned. Until then I'm reasonably confident this'll be one of the rare hitches in a generally well-oiled machine.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Just curious, since I haven't unlocked it yet, and I had my heart set on starting SB weapons while they are current, but can you queue through the duty finder for Eureka?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Another 70 means more 70 glams, but this time it's twice as nice.

Yoship please add more glamour plates, I'm all out :negative:

Note Block posted:

Just curious, since I haven't unlocked it yet, and I had my heart set on starting SB weapons while they are current, but can you queue through the duty finder for Eureka?

Eureka is a weird instance of it's own where you can join parties whilst you're in it. This means you can't queue for anything else whilst you're there.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wasn't hyped for it at all because, as you said, lol Diadem. It kept coming up as a piece of content to look forward to. The other problem is that the turd of Diadem is still around and doing absolutely nothing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Argas posted:

I wasn't hyped for it at all because, as you said, lol Diadem. It kept coming up as a piece of content to look forward to. The other problem is that the turd of Diadem is still around and doing absolutely nothing.

So is verminion

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean they're not gonna remove content.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

I mean they're not gonna remove content.
They did remove Diadem 1.0

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I can't wait for the dedicated Vermimion Chocobo Racing TT patch.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

homeless snail posted:

They did remove Diadem 1.0

Isn't that more changing it? How's that different from any other content that gets patched or modified?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Isn't that more changing it? How's that different from any other content that gets patched or modified?

In that 1.0 is the same game as 2.0 sense I guess. They’re radically different.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well either way, that's more a case of outright replacing something than carving it out of the game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Well either way, that's more a case of outright replacing something than carving it out of the game.

Well where’s 1.0 then?

(In the trashbin, where it should be)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

1.0 ended, in much the same way dogs named Old Yeller do.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bolow posted:

I think you are right as far as leveling and anemo goes. You probably really need to grind chains though for protean for better returns.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Also leaded to the best content in 2.X via the raid.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

isk posted:

To each their own - for my bit, I'm not angry with Eureka or pessimistic about FFXIVs future. It's not a great experience for most but I'd say it's the first content miss since Midas Savage. I also kept my expectations low because lol Diadem (but I get how others felt hype). If it's still lovely after a year of updates that took so much dev time that other parts of the game notably suffered (Hildibrand, Omega, Ivalice, etc.) then I'd be more concerned. Until then I'm reasonably confident this'll be one of the rare hitches in a generally well-oiled machine.

I think most of the secondary content they've added to this game since 3.0 has been a miss. I don't have a lot of positive things to say about all the stuff they try and put in as an alternative to dungeons and raids. I especialy have nothing positive to say about any of the stuff they have added in SB. Swimming, Rival Wings, Eureka, Canals, Squadron dugeons, subaquatic voyages, the housing debacle (even though that one didn't personally affect me), fashion report have all been bad to varying degrees. Also not a fan of the dev team making ultra hardcore raid content since so few people will bother but I'm willing to let that one slide.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

NMs spawn via manual conditions being met but they're all poo poo like "kill one billion sabotenders while Aurora Borealis is localized entirely in your kitchen but only during the day"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

NMs spawn via manual conditions being met but they're all poo poo like "kill one billion sabotenders while Aurora Borealis is localized entirely in your kitchen but only during the day"

Yes!