Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cythereal posted:

If nothing else, I will always defend the visual design of the dark elves in Thor 2. They looked amazing.

Absolutely criminal waste of Christopher Ecclestone though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Absolutely criminal waste of Christopher Ecclestone though.

IIRC there was a lot more filmed with him that was cut out of the movie, is any of that on the DVD or anything?

Definitely one of the worst comic book movie villains ever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC there was a lot more filmed with him that was cut out of the movie, is any of that on the DVD or anything?

Even if there were more filmed, it would still be an absolutely criminal waste if he were still just speaking gibberish through twenty pounds of makeup.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I actually think Dr. Strange is criminally underrated for a Marvel film, but I also think that has to do with where it falls in the timeline. The story is super rote and it was one of the earlier examples of the comedy directly undercutting any emotion, but the visuals were really cool and inventive and the bad guy(s) were well executed and defeated in clever ways. It just came so late in the timeline that none of that was enough to impress people (or look past their Cumberbatch burnout).

I think another thing with Iron Man 2 is that it's the one universally agreed upon bad Marvel film, along with Thor 2 and maaaybe Incredible Hulk. So when there is an argument about the overall quality of the Marvel franchise its an easy one for a fan to toss out to say "hey I don't like all Marvel movies" or a detractor to say "c'mon even you can't defend IM2" etc

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Thor gets an insane amount of shade thrown at it, given how good it is. It always seems to get lumped in with its sequel and Iron Man 2 as one of the “bad” Marvel movies.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The first Thor is a completely serviceable mass-audience introduction to a very out-there character. The sequel is where it started to become obvious that the big brains at the MCU didn’t quite know what to do with him. Fortunately there was a mad Kiwi waiting in the wings to eventually sort that out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I appreciated that Thor 2 was a nutso space fantasy movie. But it wasn't a great one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

The first Thor is a completely serviceable mass-audience introduction to a very out-there character. The sequel is where it started to become obvious that the big brains at the MCU didn’t quite know what to do with him. Fortunately there was a mad Kiwi waiting in the wings to eventually sort that out.

I like the first Thor quite a bit, but on top of that I don't think it gets enough credit for being the first MCU thing to be like gently caress it, this is Mahvel baby, space vikings and five million year old artifacts that are basically laser guns and robot god warriors and ancient aliens, deal with it. I feel like The Dark Would would have been a much more focused movie if it was made after Guardians came out and did great. I want to like Thor 2 because it has a ton of things to it that I love but the movie just doesn't come together and like we've all said the Dark Elves look cool but what a huge waste.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart City posted:

Thor is an out-there character only in concept (alien modeling himself after a Norse god). In execution he's just a... bore.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The best Thor moment is ironically in Avengers, when Thor steals loki from Tony and cap, they have that moment on the side of the mountain while Odin s birds fly by. Really cool. Then it becomes a regular movie again and the forest fight happens.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

What would you guys say is the most underrated of those films?

Age of Ultron. It's not the best of the MCU films, but with a strong villain and a decent look it's easily the best of those MCU films that end up at the bottom of people's rankings.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Thor is an out-there character only in concept (alien modeling himself after a Norse god). In execution he's just a... bore.

It's the other way around. The Norse gods were modeled after the aliens.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Age of Ultron. It's not the best of the MCU films, but with a strong villain and a decent look it's easily the best of those MCU films that end up at the bottom of people's rankings.

For me, the things that bug me about AoU come off as dumb/petty:

1)Tried to make me care about Hawkeye.
2) Big villian being Tony Stark, but evil and a robot. I get the point of it for the purpose of Ultron being his creation, but AoU was just saturated in smarmy/witty quips for me.
3)The Eastearn-Euro accents were generically bad from Quicksilver+Scarlet Witch.

It still had some good scenes, but it just didn't stand out as good.

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 14, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ultron’s quippiness would have been waaaaaaay more grating if it wasn’t Spader doing the voice work. His off-screen delivery of “oh for god’s sake” when Hulk jumps into the quinjet after him will never not make me laugh.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

By watching a movie about a completely fictional African country that was originally conceived by white men.

I mean do you know how many current African countries are some completely fictional bullshit conceived by a white man?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Saw Thor Ragnarok for the first time recently.

I liked it a lot. It was nice to see a Thor movie that was more than just "it's fine." I loved how colorful it was, and it was funny, and of course Goldblum was great. It's one of my more favorite MCU movies.

I disliked how the characters were basically completely different versions of themselves, though, almost as if they wrote a comedy and then just decided to change the names to Thor and Loki after-the-fact (maybe that's why it was good, I don't know). Thor, for example, was never a clumsy doofus like he was too many times in this movie. It's weird that I think these are my favorite versions of these characters in the MCU, but I just didn't like how different they were from the other versions. I'm sure Thor won't be a dweeby dork in Infinity War either, so it would just be jarring.

I also liked seeing a lot of Hulk, but I didn't like goofy, relaxed Hulk. This is just a personal preference, but I like my Hulk raging and just barely controllable. He wasn't a sincere character, in my opinion.

I did like how it turns out that Odin wasn't such a great guy, working with Hela to take over all of these worlds before becoming a peaceful leader, but then that didn't really go anywhere. They mentioned it a couple times and Thor was just like "that's unfortunate" and that's it. It should have had more impact on him.

Also, I was hoping that Mjolnir would be replaced by a different weapon at the end that he would call Mjolnir 2, maybe a sword or a mace or something, but that's not really something that I can hold against the movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Also, I was hoping that Mjolnir would be replaced by a different weapon at the end that he would call Mjolnir 2, maybe a sword or a mace or something, but that's not really something that I can hold against the movie.

Apparently he's making an axe called Stormbreaker in Infinity War. And the haft is made from Groot.

I dunno, I think the Thor gang worked better in an action comedy movie rather than traditional action. Like Bautista, Hemsworth is a big muscle man but he seems to have much more of a gift for comedy than traditional muscle-bound action stuff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my big complaint about blade runner 2 was bautista wasn't in it more.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Antman is easily the most underrated Marvel movie to me. I've also grown to like the first Captain America and third Iron Man over time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I adore the MCU but no. No. NO. NOOO.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

my big complaint about blade runner 2 was bautista wasn't in it more.

I liked 2049 a lot but after seeing it and the animated short I wouldn't have minded something set around the time of the black out itself with Bautista as a more prominent character. But I guess that wouldn't work since 2022 isn't really "in the future" the way 2019 was in 1982 and 2049 is now. But they committed so well to 2049 looking like the original movie's future that I wouldn't have minded.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spacebump posted:

Antman is easily the most underrated Marvel movie to me. I've also grown to like the first Captain America and third Iron Man over time.

The first Captain America is great until the train sequence and then the third act moves at about a million miles an hour.

Iron Man 3 has always been great.

The most underrated Marvel Studios movie, to me, has always been The Incredible Hulk and I've always been disappointed that studio politics kept us from getting a follow-up to it. That movie has near-perfect casting (Liv Tyler aside) and that college fight is 31 flavors of awesome.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I believe in jivjov. He can do it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

My god, the smell.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fart City posted:

Ultron’s quippiness would have been waaaaaaay more grating if it wasn’t Spader doing the voice work. His off-screen delivery of “oh for god’s sake” when Hulk jumps into the quinjet after him will never not make me laugh.

So you're saying...the quips were on point?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Timby posted:

The most underrated Marvel Studios movie, to me, has always been The Incredible Hulk and I've always been disappointed that studio politics kept us from getting a follow-up to it. That movie has near-perfect casting (Liv Tyler aside) and that college fight is 31 flavors of awesome.

yeah the effects for the hulk were really impressive.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The Incredible Hulk also deserves props for being one of the few movies where, despite the finale being a fight between two completely CGI creations, the action remains clear and easy to follow for the most part. Lest we forget that Van Helsing was only released four years prior.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No one I talk about it to in person believes me when I say I enjoyed Van Helsing.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I don’t like Ed Norton as Bruce Banner so I’ve never revisited that movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RBA Starblade posted:

No one I talk about it to in person believes me when I say I enjoyed Van Helsing.

Shoot, I don’t even believe you here!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fart City posted:

The Incredible Hulk also deserves props for being one of the few movies where, despite the finale being a fight between two completely CGI creations, the action remains clear and easy to follow for the most part. Lest we forget that Van Helsing was only released four years prior.

Or hell, the Transformers movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Or hell, the Transformers movies.

I think this is mostly just the first movie. The fights are easier to follow in the sequels.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Or hell, the Transformers movies, since moving to 3d, have great cinematography and editing.

Finished that sentence for you.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually think Dr. Strange is criminally underrated for a Marvel film, but I also think that has to do with where it falls in the timeline. The story is super rote and it was one of the earlier examples of the comedy directly undercutting any emotion, but the visuals were really cool and inventive and the bad guy(s) were well executed and defeated in clever ways. It just came so late in the timeline that none of that was enough to impress people (or look past their Cumberbatch burnout).

I think another thing with Iron Man 2 is that it's the one universally agreed upon bad Marvel film, along with Thor 2 and maaaybe Incredible Hulk. So when there is an argument about the overall quality of the Marvel franchise its an easy one for a fan to toss out to say "hey I don't like all Marvel movies" or a detractor to say "c'mon even you can't defend IM2" etc

It is seriously rote, though, and doesn't do anything with most of its ideas. The amazing chase through dimensions and reality is just two people running in a straight line while an obstacle course turns into a race track around them. That backwards fight scene feels seriously incomplete, despite being a good idea.

Thor 2 is probably the closest to underrated. It's just spinning the wheels in terms of the 'meta-narrative' but it looks very nice, not as flat as the later ones in the series and and set pieces are well done.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Tilda Swinton crushes her role. She has that 1000 year gaze down.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Van Helsing is a terrible movie I enjoy a lot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spike Lee is directing a superhero movie in Sony's Spidey-verse?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Van Helsing is notable for having possibly the worst Dracula ever in a major motion picture, although Gerard Butler in Dracula 3000 gives Roxburgh a run for his money.

Edit: poo poo, I guess Purcell in Blade Trinity has to be in that conversation, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

Van Helsing is notable for having possibly the worst Dracula ever in a major motion picture, although Gerard Butler in Dracula 3000 gives Roxburgh a run for his money.

Edit: poo poo, I guess Purcell in Blade Trinity has to be in that conversation, too.

Haha I was about to mention Purcell but caught your edit. Those three are definitely the worst of the worst. Roxburgh is probably the worst Dracula as far as ones with a lot of screen time though. Purcell is shamefully godawful but he's barely even in the movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I submit Dracula from Dracula: The Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Timby posted:

It always baffled me how Liv Tyler kept getting work. She has never been good in any role she's been in.