Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

This is disgusting. Most schools and teachers would be ecstatic just to see their students take a stand on something.

Kids who are suspended for this stuff should sue their regressive school districts.

alot of teachers probably are and i am sure they can give their students a pass they will. the people making the calls are the dickheads on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TulliusCicero posted:

This is disgusting. Most schools and teachers would be ecstatic just to see their students take a stand on something.

Kids who are suspended for this stuff should sue their regressive school districts.

Yeah, any half decent teacher regardless of personal politics takes the opportunity of their students feeling empowered and inspired to try and teach them. If you're trying to shut them down because you don't like the message (and its not like white supremacy or something) then you're just abdicating your duty to feed your personal politics. Its an absolute failure as an educator.

Like, isn't the Parkland AP Government teacher a Republican?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Vladimir Putin posted:

Family histories in America are the most boring thing whatsoever. No one cares except people in your own family. If somebody outside your family does care they are only pretending.

My family is considered by some historians as one of the great families of history, has a large complement of British nobility and warlords in one branch of it's family (to the point of having a family crest and motto that someone was able to discover before the days of genealogical sites just posting info online), had a principle family member that was basically the closing note of what some historians refer to as the age of chivalry near 1000 years ago, had a play written about one member of the family by Shakespeare, had a member that was a part of the House of Burgesses, who himself was an active mover and shaker in certain parts of the country in the early days of the American Revolution, who later went on to have kids that would eventually lead to the family including a state senator and briefly a governor in it's history, and generally has a fair bit of land out on the east coast of America directly or tangentially named after it.

So...Uh, i'm not so sure about that. There's some pretty crazy stuff hidden in your family history that you may never know about unless you go checking. Though my case is probably a bit of the outlier in how over the top it turned out to be. I'm definitely not the only one on here with things that would make people raise an eyebrow though. As another example of what I mean see that one guy who posted in one of the D&D thread's about a native american ancestor that was named something like "Kills Silently From Behind". Which had the colonists making GBS threads their pants in terror until they agreed to change their name.

Ironically though, my experience has been that people inside the family don't give a flying gently caress about any of that stuff. It's mostly history nerds or (sometimes insecure) people that think they have something to prove that go crazy over their history. Hell, my parents even offhandedly trashed a lot of the genealogical data that were the results of the data my grandmother commissioned from a bunch of genealogists after she died. All I got was a bunch of certifications and trimmed down reports on what was found.

The main problem is that most people in the USA typically haven't ever had a reason to care about this sort of poo poo outside of bolstering their own fragile egos. So they don't really care about having a cultural, national, or even personal identity until they can levy it against a perceived outsider or someone they want to try to feel superior too. Which creates problems not just in the immediate but also in future generations. Since opportunistic assholes will happily levy that same thing to cause social discord, to gently caress with minorities, and set established social trends like the whole Lost Cause movement.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 14, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Devil's advocate: oif they're no risk of punishment the walkout is meaningless

I agree. Part of civil disobedience is accepting the consequences of it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

DreamShipWrecked posted:

*Trump family refrigerator sporting a crayon drawing from Jr, titled "My Assassinatiun Plan"

As if the Trump family refrigerator would have room for anything other than Donald Sr's own childish crayon drawings.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i know we've said this a lot but this is an insane, huge loving scandal that would wreck an administration.

But for trump?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah, who cares about prom and graduation? The students can do their own parties for that if they need to.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The good teachers and administrators will turn a blind eye or support you when you're taking a stand, and the bad ones will punish you. That this kid is going to the media with stories about the bad admins is a part of the civil disobedience. When authority fails to acknowledge you, you go to the press.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

God if Donnie is "retarded" then what does that make the imperfectly clone?

e:
Also there's like a 100% chance Donnie has also tried to gently caress the wives of his sons too. and the sons have weird hangups

e2: dmn typos.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 14, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yeah, who cares about prom and graduation? The students can do their own parties for that if they need to.

But what if it's on their p-p-p-p-permanent record?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

nice

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Just because there’s risk of punishment doesn’t mean they shouldn’t fight their punishment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Eh, its a teenage right of passage and if you're isolating yourself by missing them its gonna affect you. They're still kids.

But yeah, of course the perfect scenario is that the kids all say "gently caress your prom", walk out, and create their own right of passage (or more likely force the school board to fold and let them go to prom, which is even better since its a victory with the power of their voices/votes).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But what if it's on their p-p-p-p-permanent record?

Give them some slack, when you are a kid that is shorthand for "you aren't going to college"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Just because there’s risk of punishment doesn’t mean they shouldn’t fight their punishment.

Yeah, it's this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I am really glad today is a snow day because all the schools I work at tried to short circuit the walk out with lame "do 17 nice things" type stuff, but on the other hand a bunch of the schools are like middle schools or grade schools where kids probobly couldn't really mass walk out reasonably.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am really glad today is a snow day because all the schools I work at tried to short circuit the walk out with lame "do 17 nice things" type stuff, but on the other hand a bunch of the schools are like middle schools or grade schools where kids probobly couldn't really mass walk out reasonably.

Doing a good deed for every dead kid is ten times worse than a walk out, holy poo poo

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The mayor here rented buses to take kids down to the protest in DC, which is a pretty cool, nice thing that would probably make T_D and the NRA very angry.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

PhazonLink posted:

God is Donnie is "retarded" then what does that make the imperfectly clone?

I mean "retarded" is bad because it's a slur, but also incorrect here -- this is more dementia than intellectual disability.

Also this was 15 years ago now, and already Donnie couldn't remember things that happened five minutes before.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Shout out to all the kids using the walk out as an excuse to go smoke weed.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Marijuana posted:

I am firmly in solidarity

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How many no votes to sink Trumps state and CIA pick?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Marijuana posted:

Rising tides carry all ships

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nicole Wallace just straight up asked Stormy's lawyer "Is there a sex tape?"

"Could be"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Doing a good deed for every dead kid is ten times worse than a walk out, holy poo poo

I mean, its a lovely deflection from the point of the walkouts but at least its an actual good alternative message. Especially if its a case of little kids and basic safety concerns.

But I'll always take "do something good" over "say some prayers."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

"Could be"

The first picture of a presidents dick

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FizFashizzle posted:

"Could be"

Got a link or a clip? I'd love to share it around

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean "retarded" is bad because it's a slur, but also incorrect here -- this is more dementia than intellectual disability.

Also this was 15 years ago now, and already Donnie couldn't remember things that happened five minutes before.

See I think he's hard to peg. Where does "pathological self absorption" end and "dementia" begin with this guy? I think if he were ever truly analyzed by professionals they could write many books on whatever it is he is. It's unlike almost anyone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How many no votes to sink Trumps state and CIA pick?

2 GOP if zero Dems stray.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Got a link or a clip? I'd love to share it around

Give it like ten minutes.I watch tv on Roku and that poo poo is worthless

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its a lovely deflection from the point of the walkouts but at least its an actual good alternative message. Especially if its a case of little kids and basic safety concerns.

As the kid who was an outcast most of the time in school, kids coming up and being nice to me for one day would be infinitely more distressing than continually being ignored or degraded.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/974014833522745344?s=20

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The first picture of a presidents dick

Second.

:nws: https://politics.theonion.com/bill-clinton-finally-just-shows-america-his-penis-1819573869

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I guess, but how many times in nature would you be in that situation? It's not like we have nitrogen eruptions going off everywhere.

That's the whole thing with the needle. It could easily be painless, but that isn't enough. We want to torture people for their crimes.

Check out the Lake Nyos disaster. It could easily happen with another gas in an enclosed space, like going into a cave.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its a lovely deflection from the point of the walkouts but at least its an actual good alternative message.

One of the things I've seen going around basically says "Instead of protesting, go be nice to the weird kid!". Which, like... if the weird kid didn't already know no one liked them, wouldn't everyone in school coming up to talk to them on "Say Nice Things to the Freak So They Don't Shoot Us" day kind of hammer that home?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/974017733850554375?s=19

STAC Goat posted:

I am probably projecting, but trying to soften it like that is more insulting to the kids than doing nothing is. But I'm probably overreacting.

Also as a resident former school weird kid myself if everyone started suddenly being nice to me I would assume that it was because they thought I would be the next school shooter.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Further devil's advocate: experiencing consequences for this early on when the consequences are ultimately meaningless is good conditioning for further civil disobedience once they're older and facing harsher penalties. They'll be much less scared of authority moving forwards.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/974024718947897346

Also,
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/974024929002840064

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Take that, kids concerned about being murdered in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

See I think he's hard to peg.

Not according to Stormy Daniels.

• Locked thread