Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Still lolling at that guying trying to act shocked that this forum isn’t full of 50-year-olds

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Poque posted:

well yeah, all the teens were outside

Lots of pissed off stay at home parents of small children for 17 minutes today.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

BonoMan posted:

Has this been posted yet? Nickelodeon and MTV go off the air for 17 minutes at the time of the walkout.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-walkout-wednesday-live-updates-nickelodeon-mtv-went-off-air-for-17-1521046975-htmlstory.html

I like this wtf response.

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/973980017481920517

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Koalas March posted:

They should invite Tim Wise to go there and hold a town hall or something. White people tend to take the privilege pill a lot easier if they hear another folksy white guy explaining it to them.

You could say this about any privileged group, tbh, but as a White Person (tm), I’ve found that the best way to explain it is that white people are given the benefit of the doubt.

I’ve also made headway with asking “if everything is equal now, would you be okay with being black instead of white? Would you be okay with your child dating a black person? Why/why not?”

I mean, this assumes that they’re earnest and just ignorant, not hateful, but you aren’t going to change the hateful ones without far more patience than I have. I’m also not country/outlaw enough to reach those people, so it’s time wasted for me.

People don’t understand that the only way -that I’ve found at least- to change minds is with earnest, individual conversations over a period of time. It’s not an overnight or even a quick thing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Does he want the military to go after the protesters, or Nickelodeon?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Koalas March posted:

This is seriously not getting enough attention. Holy moly. Just imagine the circumstances that led up to this.

cat tax:

Oconomowoc is about as far from Milwaukee as white flight will get you while still being able to commute in for work. Being from the area this doesn't surprise me as it is fully trump/all lives matter country.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Crow Jane posted:

Both

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lote posted:

Depends on where his assets are and what currency his loans are in. If he's got a bunch of loans in British Pounds or Euro, he needs a strong dollar. If he has a bunch of foreign assets, he needs a weak dollar.

Except Donnie is an moron and thinks the big number next to his Rubbles is good , also he likes that a single dollar from that shithole african country has so many zeros.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Calling for martial law over Blue Clues to own the libs

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

i thought he opposes it because schumer supports it?

(of course there can be more than one reason, im just curious)

this is the actual reason, he's trying to hold it hostage

i doubt he cares much about the ferry property

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Who is this Nick L. Odeon guy anyways? Sounds foreign.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

As the kid who was an outcast most of the time in school, kids coming up and being nice to me for one day would be infinitely more distressing than continually being ignored or degraded.

Absolutely. You could totally spot a "I'm going to do a performative good deed today" case a mile away and it made you somehow feel more miserable than the alternative, probably because you couldn't politely ignore or rebuff them.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

bogoodski posted:

I've been thinking about something along these same lines today.

I'm 34 years old, so 9/11 occurred while I was in high school. My age group graduated into a country that was deceived into war. And then we finished college just in time to watch pensions be privatized (and wiped out), to enter the job market during the Great Recession and to become adults and culturally aware about the time a reality TV shuckster of a President was revealing and stoking the nation's racism and hate. My little segment of my generation is almost necessarily cynical

These kids, though. They can generate thousands of social media followers and instigate national movements. For whatever its worth (and maybe its nothing), these kids are going to go into adulthood actually thinking they can make a difference. A notion that no one my age that I know thought was true for us.

I really hope they run with it.

I don’t have a whole lot to add, but I wanted you to know that this is a Great Post and a spot on critique of our generation (I’m 32).

It’s nice to feel some hope for the future.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ague Proof posted:

"Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles. ... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Judge Scalia said. Then, recalling Season 2, where the agent's rough interrogation tactics saved California from a terrorist nuke, the Supreme Court judge etched a line in the sand.
"Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?" Judge Scalia challenged his fellow judges. "Say that criminal law is against him? 'You have the right to a jury trial?' Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer? I don't think so.

"So the question is really whether we believe in these absolutes. And ought we believe in these absolutes."

- Antonin Scalia.
Besides everything else insane about what he's saying, I don't even think torture worked in that season. They torture the wrong guy who's been framed, and then the actual terrorist gives them false info under torture.

I'll :goonsay: myself out

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/974028877373825024

This it the tunnel that he opposes because Kusher is developing property at a ferry landing that would be significantly devalued by the new tunnel

That and Chuck from NY hurt his feefees.(note he may have forgotten by now)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

DreamShipWrecked posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/974017733850554375?s=19

I am probably projecting, but trying to soften it like that is more insulting to the kids than doing nothing is. But I'm probably overreacting.

Also as a resident former school weird kid myself if everyone started suddenly being nice to me I would assume that it was because they thought I would be the next school shooter.

https://twitter.com/KatieLittle/status/974012271063191555

Fortunately it ended up being a false alarm.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-northwestern-university-shots-fired-evanston-20180314-story.html

edit - it might have been swatting.

https://twitter.com/EvanstonPD/status/974034356632158211

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 14, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

That and Chuck from NY hurt his feefees.(note he may have forgotten by now)

Also neither NY or NJ voted for him. Which he remembers, because he probably sleeps on bedsheets printed with the 2016 electoral map.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Yes. Also lol at another example of "the only moral ______ is my/my team's _____________."

(also I hope someone told him that Viacom hates net neutrality just to see him go into error mode)

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 14, 2018

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

how cool and good are our police that they can be weaponized by a ragefaced goon through tricking them into responding to bullshit

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Besides everything else insane about what he's saying, I don't even think torture worked in that season. They torture the wrong guy who's been framed, and then the actual terrorist gives them false info under torture.

This is not the first time I've heard of the TV Show 24 being used by people to justify torture.

Burn every TV set in America

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skylined! posted:

how cool and good are our police that they can be weaponized by a ragefaced goon through tricking them into responding to bullshit

literally any police force can

ours has more force and worse outcomes, but the Luxembourg Ducal Guard can reasonably be expected to respond to say an active shooter report

I'm not actually sure swatting is a totally preventable thing and the ways to make it less dangerous are good ideas even if swatting didn't exist

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I haven't been watching this thread that much today, but it seems a little quiet considering everything that happened yesterday. Even my wife, who avoids politics wanted to talk about Rex Tillerson.

Like I think yesterday might have been a real bad day for Trump.

Crow Jane posted:

You can't do that on the Constitution TV

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fallom posted:

Still lolling at that guying trying to act shocked that this forum isn’t full of 50-year-olds

:smugdog:

Also why are all these libs infringing on my personal liberties? Haven't they heard of the non-aggression principle?:qq:

(we need a version of that smiley that's Jordan Peterson)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Vladimir Putin posted:

Nobody loving remembers the 70’s when we had to fight off inflation and the interest rate to buy a house was like loving 20%? Yeah sure I’d like to relive those days of clinical depression on a national scale.

Keep control of the ability to print money—gently caress morons who want to switch to gold. But use it judiciously so we don’t repeat history. For gods sake was no one here alive back then?

I can absolutely 100% guarantee you have a bad and reductionist understanding of that sequence of economic events.

As usual I'm in the evilweasel boat but "we need to be super conservative about printing money, what if the 70s? :ohdear:" is a stupid, pernicious cancer in public understanding* of monetary policy.

* - lol

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not actually sure swatting is a totally preventable thing and the ways to make it less dangerous are good ideas even if swatting didn't exist

demilitarizing and retraining the police force is a good start, that way if there's a swatting thing some unsuspecting person doesn't have fifty dudes with MP5s and full body armor coming in on tanks ready to shoot anything that moves.

but this would also require a complete disarming of civilians as well so that will never happen.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I haven't been watching this thread that much today, but it seems a little quiet considering everything that happened yesterday. Even my wife, who avoids politics wanted to talk about Rex Tillerson.

Like I think yesterday might have been a real bad day for Trump

That’s a weird effect of this thread’s hyper-engagement. We digested the Tillerson news already. By the time other people hear it and start to process it and read analysis we’ve already moved on

To comrade Nickelodeon apparently

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

ought ten posted:

That’s a weird effect of this thread’s hyper-engagement. We digested the Tillerson news already. By the time other people hear it and start to process it and read analysis we’ve already moved on

To comrade Nickelodeon apparently

Plus we're basking in the needle''s afterglow, nursing hangovers, or both

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Lord Hydronium posted:

24 was my jam back in the day but I probably wouldn't enjoy it if I watched it now. It's silly as hell but too many people think it's real life.

The first episode of the reboot season had a van of Muslims driving around Los Angeles murdering veterans, and the only way to catch them was to use a satellite system that recorded all people at all times. Left a real bad taste in my mouth and I didn't watch any past that.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

GreyjoyBastard posted:

literally any police force can

ours has more force and worse outcomes, but the Luxembourg Ducal Guard can reasonably be expected to respond to say an active shooter report

yes they absolutely should respond

that people are weaponizing them to essentially act as unwitting hitmen is Definitely Preventable and puts a nice bow on how militarized our police force has become

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Caros posted:

Anything is a dildo, if you are brave enough. - Abraham Lincoln.

He never said the thing you are quoting, and the closest thing you can find to him saying what you think he did basically boiled down to a legal argument of 'The 8th amendment doesn't cover this, try a different avenue if you are innocent,' which I disagree with but is still a drat sight different from the bullshit you are peddling.

The man was enough of a monster without making up lies.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/scalia-death-penalty-quote/

MIXED:

"In the fuller context, what he was actually expressing was that once a person had been fairly convicted and sentenced in court, and had exhausted all his possible avenues of appeal, a last-minute claim of innocence was not by itself sufficient grounds for further delaying the carrying out of the sentence.

... ruling otherwise would impose an unmanageable burden on lower courts to review newly discovered evidence:"

EVEN IF NEW EVIDENCE IS PRESENTED

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hobo Clown posted:

24 was my jam back in the day but I probably wouldn't enjoy it if I watched it now. It's silly as hell but too many people think it's real life.

The first episode of the reboot season had a van of Muslims driving around Los Angeles murdering veterans, and the only way to catch them was to use a satellite system that recorded all people at all times. Left a real bad taste in my mouth and I didn't watch any past that.

Watch designated survivor it's basically the same thing I think.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
More confirming what we already know:

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/status/974048887399952384?s=20

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/wxdam/status/974045292420091905
https://twitter.com/SenJohnKennedy/status/974034677416722434

Dog....tax?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I will pre-order the first Trump-related book titled 'Rex, eat the salad.'

Will this hurt Mitt's chances?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

You know what? I seriously don't give a loving drat anymore about Bolton

It's clear that he's most likely going to be the one to replace McMaster. I'm just going to keep on living life, and not check Twitter 24/7 about him

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

this will only mean that criminals will kill dogs. you can't solve this with legislation. airlines that want to kill dogs will find a way on the dog killing black market.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm a teacher (well student teaching) and our walkout today was cancelled because someone made a vague "we're gonna shoot the place up" threat that was later discredited. Instead, the students broadcasted live from the auditorium to every TV in every classroom and gave some moving speeches. About 60 students walked out anyway and had prayers and 17 minutes of silence on the football field, which caused some panic among the police that were out there monitoring.

i've never been so proud to be a part of a movement, and it was really something to see students rise to the moment and totally own it. I don't know if I would have had the stones to do something like this when I was their age. Here's hoping they don't lose that energy as they get older

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vladimir Putin posted:

Nobody loving remembers the 70’s when we had to fight off inflation and the interest rate to buy a house was like loving 20%? Yeah sure I’d like to relive those days of clinical depression on a national scale.

Keep control of the ability to print money—gently caress morons who want to switch to gold. But use it judiciously so we don’t repeat history. For gods sake was no one here alive back then?

Inflation in the 70's were super weird. Prices rise so employees push for raises. Raises put more money into the economy, devaluing the currency, and rising prices more. That's pretty standard boilerplate for how to gently caress up your monetary policy a la Venezuela. The Fed finally did the right thing and stopped printing more money and...well, inflation continued unchecked. People were so used to prices going up the cycle continued even without more currency being printed. Ends up inflation is as much perception as reality.

Fast forward to 2010 and the government is dumping trillions of dollars into the economy and we should be seeing inflation, but we're barely staving off deflation. In part because there was no expectation of inflation.

There are other factors too. Interest rates were so high in the 70's and 80's that banks created a lot of new money without needing the Fed.. A lot of those bailouts in 2008/2009 also got absorbed by banks because of all their terrible loan losses. But perception has an outsized impact.

As for 20% interest rates, I don't know how much that actually hurt the housing market since higher interest rates push home prices lower. If interest rates were 10% today, people in Colorado wouldn't be selling bland homes for $500k. Adjusted for inflation you may end up paying the same thing for a home in 1979 as you would in 2018. It probably forced people to look at smaller homes and maybe pushed more towards renting, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

horrible in every way but not surprising. i guess its war then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously we just need a good airplane with a dog

• Locked thread