Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So our group infiltrated a secret base in like an island cove with a natural harbor. I upcasted Fog Cloud on our airship to conceal it. We quietly climbed down ropes and silenced a church bell. We quietly scouted out the buildings, identified our targets and were preparing setup for the attack so we could destroy the targets, burn some buildings and get out before we have a big fight with an overwhelming enemy force.

We're still on the wrong side of the island like a mile across when our monk says "gently caress it I'm bored" and blows up an outhouse with a potion of fire breath. So I have to basically cross a goddamn mile at 25/50 ft. per round because this goon couldn't wait for us to narrate getting into position before giving our presence away and doing so on a completely unimportant building.

Hope I don't get killed running a mile on an island with like 20 giants and down a fourth level spell because of the wasted Fog Cloud I guess.

Is this roll 20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

Is this roll 20?

Kitchen table.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Kitchen table.

Brutal. I dunno how people can be intentionally stupid in real life like that.

I mean sometimes sessions drag for sure but effectively loving over everyone because you are bored?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'm sorry you had/have to exist in the same general space as that individual.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm having fun planning the heavy metal battle bard I've wanted to do for a while though. Having trouble deciding what mix of Bard and Hexblade I want, though. (Assume level 8). I'm totally open to any suggestions on that, either from a min/max or a "holy poo poo this would be sick" perspective.

edit: His name is Thrash Halford.

edit 2:

Tiefling, 6 College of Swords, 2 Hexblade Warlock
8 STR
14 DEX
14 CON
11 INT
12 WIS
18 CHA

Misty Visions and Devil's Sight. The latter will let him fight in the innate darkness cast. This seems really fun.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 13, 2018

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The encounter building rules in the book are so bad that Mearls doesn't even use them. CRs are also not a good indicator of how powerful something should be.

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

I use this instead, created by our own gradenko_2000.

Sweet, this looks way simpler. Thanks!

E: vvv Neat! Maybe those links should be in the OP?

gnapo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 14, 2018

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

gnapo posted:

Sweet, this looks way simpler. Thanks!

He also has this https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2018/03/11/dd-5th-edition-monster-stats-on-a-business-card/ which he just posted a couple days ago.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Don't know why I didn't think to ask this here earlier, but: does anyone have an OrcPub custom element file to put back all the stuff they lost in the non-SRD purge?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Glagha posted:

Is there any good reason to take regular human over variant human?

The implication is that variant human is an "optional variant", and wouldn't always be available/allowed, but if it is, you should take it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Been running Storm Kings Thunder.

Harshnarg, the Frost Giant NPC, with the barely reskinned Drizzt backstory got himself killed, and oh look the party had a Reincarnation scroll.

Welp. He's a Dwarf now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One of the issues that's been identified with 5e is how the death-and-dying rules interact awkwardly with healing: when you're at 1 HP, you're in (mostly) full fighting form, and if you're at 0, then you're Dying, but then you only really need that 1 HP more. It sort of devalues any HP in excess of what's needed to avoid the instant death/massive damage rules, since you can keep lying down and popping back up.

I propose a change inspired by the Pathfinder 2 playtest rules:

If you are at 0 HP and Dying, and then you receive healing, you are Stabilized and gain the HP as appropriate, but you do not regain consciousness until you make a successful Death Saving Throw

This creates value for staying at a healthy, large-positive amount of HP, since getting knocked out is going to cause you to lose turns from failed Death saves.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So I'm playing a Rogue Tabaxi with the Archaeology background (think Indiana but with a lucky crowbar instead of a lucky hat). Should I go all in the gimmick and become an Inquisitive at level 3 or somehow become a dual welding try hard rogue.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Note Inquisitive doesn't do anything that other archetypes can't do just as good, on top of having their own archetype abilities.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of the issues that's been identified with 5e is how the death-and-dying rules interact awkwardly with healing: when you're at 1 HP, you're in (mostly) full fighting form, and if you're at 0, then you're Dying, but then you only really need that 1 HP more. It sort of devalues any HP in excess of what's needed to avoid the instant death/massive damage rules, since you can keep lying down and popping back up.

I propose a change inspired by the Pathfinder 2 playtest rules:

If you are at 0 HP and Dying, and then you receive healing, you are Stabilized and gain the HP as appropriate, but you do not regain consciousness until you make a successful Death Saving Throw

This creates value for staying at a healthy, large-positive amount of HP, since getting knocked out is going to cause you to lose turns from failed Death saves.

I like the aim of this, but if you're gonna do that, you'll either need to come up with some way for healing to meaningfully keep up with damage or build encounters such that players can fight a really defensive battle. Because healing is kind of hot garbage unless it's high-value out-of-combat heals or picking up the incapacitated.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I find the popping back up incredibly good, fun, and funny.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I like the aim of this, but if you're gonna do that, you'll either need to come up with some way for healing to meaningfully keep up with damage or build encounters such that players can fight a really defensive battle. Because healing is kind of hot garbage unless it's high-value out-of-combat heals or picking up the incapacitated.

It would probably require significantly increasing the healing output of spells and moving them to Bonus Action slots.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If only healing could give you enough health to be competitive with or even superior to damage while not being spammable. Perhaps if it consumed some kind of healing-specific resource. Some kind of... medicine charge. Or maybe if healing abilities had specific limited uses rather than pulling from a general use spell pool. Or what if your healing abilities were riders on offensive or buffing spells, so you'd top people up continually based on need while also contributing more directly.

Oh I'm talking crazy. What would a game like that even look like?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Less sarcastically, significantly buff cure wounds but have it consume a hit die. Remove all other healing spells, allow a healer to dump a small amount of HP on a target as a bonus action every time they cast a levelled spell. The Wizard HP transfer spell can stay.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deptfordx posted:

Been running Storm Kings Thunder.

Harshnarg, the Frost Giant NPC, with the barely reskinned Drizzt backstory got himself killed, and oh look the party had a Reincarnation scroll.

Welp. He's a Dwarf now.

Harshnag is actually a pretty old character. He first showed up in 2e and is mentioned in most Waterdeep materials.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Harshnag is actually a pretty old character. He first showed up in 2e and is mentioned in most Waterdeep materials.

Wow that’s like the one correct post you’ve ever made about the Realms.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Speaking of healing: We went shopping in our ToA game last night and our DM pointed out there are two different versions of healing potions. One for 80g, one for 300g. We just had a massive influx of cash, so we started asking him what the difference was, with the expectation that a 300g healing potion would be significantly stronger. His answer, "2d4 + 2 for the regular, 4d4 + 4 for the bigger one" . Our group collectively laughed at the difference. Two of our players are brand new, but everyone universally saw the healing/cost ratio as being absurd. For the equivalent gold, you get more healing, at a more granular level, and everyone understands the rule that 1hp of healing puts you back on your feet.

The math on that is pretty shameful.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

User0015 posted:

Speaking of healing: We went shopping in our ToA game last night and our DM pointed out there are two different versions of healing potions. One for 80g, one for 300g. We just had a massive influx of cash, so we started asking him what the difference was, with the expectation that a 300g healing potion would be significantly stronger. His answer, "2d4 + 2 for the regular, 4d4 + 4 for the bigger one" . Our group collectively laughed at the difference. Two of our players are brand new, but everyone universally saw the healing/cost ratio as being absurd. For the equivalent gold, you get more healing, at a more granular level, and everyone understands the rule that 1hp of healing puts you back on your feet.

The math on that is pretty shameful.

The larger potion is superior in terms of action efficiency, though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Piell posted:

The larger potion is superior in terms of action efficiency, though.

But the thing is that for a large portion of play, if you're healing 4d4 + 4 HP (i.e. 14 on average), you're just doing it to pick someone up and for no other reason.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah, potions are just for:

a) Chugging out of combat to fix yourself up.
b) Force feeding to someone who went down (if you're out of Healing Word slots).

So all you care about is the HP-per-gold ratio.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nickoten posted:

But the thing is that for a large portion of play, if you're healing 4d4 + 4 HP (i.e. 14 on average), you're just doing it to pick someone up and for no other reason.

It is buying a round of action from not getting knocked out vs buying an extra hit dice.

Since you could just use a healers kit which and 1hp someone for negligible cost.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Healers kit just stabilises though, and only brings them to 1hp 1d4 hours later?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Xae posted:

It is buying a round of action from not getting knocked out vs buying an extra hit dice.

Since you could just use a healers kit which and 1hp someone for negligible cost.

Buying (hopefully) a round of action at the cost of a round of action :thunk:

Also, Healer's Kit only restores HP with the Healer feat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Buying (hopefully) a round of action at the cost of a round of action :thunk:

You can lose the person who gets knocked down's turn and the person who shoves a potion in their mouth's turn.

Plus any situation where you survive due to the extra hit points.

Plus not taking any damage triggered by someone having to run to them and causing attacks of opportunity.

There is extra value in healing more in a single action. If that value is worth the extra gold depends on your situation.

If the extra healing would have prevented a wipe or a full death it will seem pretty dumb to have gotten all miserly over a bit of gold.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
At higher levels the difference between healing 7hp and 14hp when you're out of healing words etc. isn't very meaningful.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Xae posted:

You can lose the person who gets knocked down's turn and the person who shoves a potion in their mouth's turn.

Plus any situation where you survive due to the extra hit points.

Plus not taking any damage triggered by someone having to run to them and causing attacks of opportunity.

There is extra value in healing more in a single action. If that value is worth the extra gold depends on your situation.

If the extra healing would have prevented a wipe or a full death it will seem pretty dumb to have gotten all miserly over a bit of gold.

This isn't even argument about the potions; at this point you're arguing against the well-understood fact that in-combat healing in 5e is loving weak and bad.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CaPensiPraxis posted:

At higher levels the difference between healing 7hp and 14hp when you're out of healing words etc. isn't very meaningful.
Neither is the difference between 80 and 300 gold - at least 7 hp might sometimes mean dying instead of not dying. No one dies because they don't have enough gold.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

This isn't even argument about the potions; at this point you're arguing against the well-understood fact that in-combat healing in 5e is loving weak and bad.
Did you quote the wrong post were you just looking to go off on a tangental rant?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah the extra HP from the higher potion is very unlikely to buy you more turns, so the loss of a turn from having to pick someone back up is just kind of inevitable in 5e. So you just buy whatever you need to heal 1 HP or preferably cast healing word.

I did the math on this recently and at level 9 or 10 a Cleric fighting an Adult Black Dragon (apparently an appropriate enemy for a party of that level) is way better off casting Inflict Wounds at level 5 than they are casting Mass Cure Wounds after the dragon spits acid. The former significantly helps to reduce the number of rounds the dragon has to attack the party whereas the latter has a high chance of making literally no difference.

I did the numbers for tripling the dice in Mass Cure Wounds and it means you'd actually have a chance to negate the ~55 or so damage the black dragon did to your party, which may actually make using it an interesting decision to make. Also casting Cure Wounds at 5th level is likely to be a full heal on a d8 hit die character around that level (15d8 + 5 or around 70 hp), which is also not a terrible use of the slot depending on who the character is.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Xae posted:

Did you quote the wrong post were you just looking to go off on a tangental rant?

No - you're using the same arguments of people that try to justify Cure Wounds being a good use of actions. It's not.

The amount of healing you'd get between the two potions is piddly - extremely unlikely to make a difference - so unless you're swimming in so much gold as to make the price difference irrelevant you're better off buying the more efficient ones in bulk. Incidentally, if you have so much gold the price doesn't matter you're probably also high enough level the HP difference is even more meaningless.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think gold becomes irrelevant/a plot device far faster than 7 hp does. :shrug: Like I said, it's a sometimes vs never thing. Healing potions are lovely but the cost is like, a non-factor "at higher levels". You sometimes take 6 damage no matter what level you are, if you're 220 gold short of something you really want to buy, your DM has probably decided to give it a price you can't afford on purpose.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Conspiratiorist posted:

No - you're using the same arguments of people that try to justify Cure Wounds being a good use of actions. It's not.

The amount of healing you'd get between the two potions is piddly - extremely unlikely to make a difference - so unless you're swimming in so much gold as to make the price difference irrelevant you're better off buying the more efficient ones in bulk. Incidentally, if you have so much gold the price doesn't matter you're probably also high enough level the HP difference is even more meaningless.

We're only level 5 and this is the conclusion we all came to. Right now, enemies triple attack and can hit for anywhere between 10-30 damage, so a7 hp difference is insignificant. On the other hand, that 220 gold difference is about 25% of the cost of a +1 magic item or an item that boosts spell hit/DC by 1. That's such a better use of gold in comparison it's almost a joke

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Okay if items like that are for sale for cheap then scratch what I said and good on your DM for being willing to bother setting prices for that stuff without any guidance instead of saying "uhh go look for it in a dungeon".

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think gold becomes irrelevant/a plot device far faster than 7 hp does. :shrug: Like I said, it's a sometimes vs never thing. Healing potions are lovely but the cost is like, a non-factor "at higher levels". You sometimes take 6 damage no matter what level you are, if you're 220 gold short of something you really want to buy, your DM has probably decided to give it a price you can't afford on purpose.

Yeah, if you're playing in a setting that doesn't really have magic item shops then unless you've got plot reasons for wanting a lot of gold you might as well spend it on healing potions just to be able to top yourself off between encounters without expending spell slots.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
At which point its still more efficient to buy the weaker potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Kinda funny how 3.X based D&D always has the wand of CLW problem.