Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Skoll posted:

No confirmation. Best guess is the 24th.

The fanatical link above for pre-order says April 29th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Caros posted:

And a steam DB entry says april 1st, and a couple other "release dates" have been dug up by people looking into various websites.

They're all most likely placeholders it seems.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

Steam games usually release on Tuesdays, so my money is on the 24th honestly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Skoll posted:

This isn't hard and fast though, and Paradox also does Thursday releases about as often as Tuesdays.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And a steam DB entry says april 1st, and a couple other "release dates" have been dug up by people looking into various websites.

They're all most likely placeholders it seems.

Skoll posted:

Ah. Neat, thanks. :)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

This isn't hard and fast though, and Paradox also does Thursday releases about as often as Tuesdays.

You're correct but I see Tuesday launches more often than not. Either way we only have a month or so to go.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Case in point, Surviving Mars is releasing today.

I actually think the 'April window' is still just that. They'll release a week after Battletech passes Paradox's QA cert. HBS are likely aiming for the start of the month while accepting some slippage - if only because there will be financial consequences for missing April (like running out of budget).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think it really depends which company is in control of the release.

HBS is an American company and our companies generally like Tuesday releases for whatever reason. Also I wonder if they'd want to have people in-studio to be able to say "poo poo poo poo poo poo this feature is broken PATCH IT PATCH IT NOW!"

In terms of Tuesdays, that means the 3rd, 10th, and 24th. The 17th is probably out because Total War: Thrones of Britannia releases that day, and I think they're smart enough to sidestep going head-to-head on a day with one of the king franchises of strategy gaming, even if it is a B-tier release of that franchise. I'd imagine Paradox wants Battletech to take up the entire banner on Steam like it does sometimes, if possible, for marketing purposes. If it were the 3rd, I'd guess we would have heard something by now- it's 2 weeks and change away. I'd think the same about the 10th, which means the most likely Tuesday is the 24th, which was what was set in the Steam databases.

If Paradox is running it, they generally like Thursdays: see Surviving Mars today, HoI4 and Stellaris DLC recently, and such. I still doubt they'd go closely with Total War, but let's keep that open: 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th. Again, if it were the 5th, we probably would have heard something by now. More the same with the 12th, but possible. 19th is close to Total War, as said, but probably thinking about it, it's not too close. 26th is over a month away too, in case they want a good build of marketing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The 26th sounds most likely. If only to give them as much time as possible to squash bugs.

I won't be shocked if the game launches in a somewhat rough state. Not broken, mind, but HBS is still a fairly small studio, and this game is a lot more ambitious than Shadowrun, which itself had a fair number of ragged edges that needed sanding down post-release.

Hopefully, it'll do as well or better than SR so there'll be a chance to refine and build on what they've already got because we already know the tactical side is fun and the strategy/story layer looks loving dope.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Something about some of the campaign UI bothers me and I'm not entirely sure what it is. I'll have to give it a look later on when I am not actively participating in something else, but it feels like there's stuff you are adjusting or doing that feels out of place, unfinished or needless. However, overall it does seem to have all the stuff I want at the very least, right now. We'll see upon release.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

My hope is that now that Surviving Mars is out, we start to see more streaming and the like of Btech.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: another question, do you start out with an active loan that needs repayment à la Animal Crossing or are loans only for big purchases and dire times?

You start out with a debt and also stuck with a lovely leopard dropship (which is basically economic poison to the owner).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
More games need to simulate modern corporate financing schemes. It would be educational

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That trailer makes it move.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think it really depends which company is in control of the release.

HBS is an American company and our companies generally like Tuesday releases for whatever reason. Also I wonder if they'd want to have people in-studio to be able to say "poo poo poo poo poo poo this feature is broken PATCH IT PATCH IT NOW!"

Tuesday releases are a holdover from radio billboard ratings. Ratings were released on Monday so labels released singles on Tuesday to give maximum air wave time and inflate popularity.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BattleTech posted:

Tuesday releases are a holdover from radio billboard ratings. Ratings were released on Monday so labels released singles on Tuesday to give maximum air wave time and inflate popularity.
I think in software it has more to do with having Monday to make sure everything is good to go and all hands are on dick. Then with a release on Tuesday the staff have the rest of the week to fix major showstopping bugs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

please don't fix that typo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cowcaster posted:

please don't fix that typo
What typo?

heh heheh

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In marketing, it's probably not far off.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't always test my code, but when I do, I deploy at 4:30 on a friday and then go home

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Psion posted:

I don't always test my code, but when I do, I deploy at 4:30 on a friday and then go home

Doesn't matter. It's the person who finds the bug that gets to sit on the blue chair, not the senior developer.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading that there was merc captain background differences, is there any place I could read more on that, or is that still under wraps?

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Third post in this thread has some information.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9952

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

On the old forums they stitched together the MW lifepath info in the beta files. I'd assume any stats are obsolete and probably won't apply to our commander creation, but it shows the kind of backgrounds we can expect to choose from.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Skippy McPants posted:

Another question, do you start out with an active loan that needs repayment à la Animal Crossing or are loans only for big purchases and dire times?

The former, but also you actually can't take out more loans once the original loan is paid off (presumably because it's pretty hard to balance between "exploitable way to blow through the power curve" and "so expensive nobody will ever use them")

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

The former, but also you actually can't take out more loans once the original loan is paid off (presumably because it's pretty hard to balance between "exploitable way to blow through the power curve" and "so expensive nobody will ever use them")
I think isildur also said that it was a feature kinda detached from the rest of the game but would have required a bunch of UI and coding that they did not feel was worth the time investment when they had bigger fish to fry.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

UI takes a really long time to do, because the first three times you build it will completely suck and the whole thing is directly user facing and has to be intuitive, pretty, and useful.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

How was this not linked already?

https://twitter.com/BattleTech_Game/status/974697669624057858

:black101:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If they are taking weekends off then that's a really good sign and they deserve it.

I'm sure grogs on the forums are HOW DARE THEY TAKE A WEEKEND OFF WHEN I AM NOT YET ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

HOW DARE THEY TAKE A WEEKEND OFF WHEN I AM NOT YE TABLE TO PLAY THE GAME!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NOOO YOU HAVE A PERFECTLY GOOD LEFT FIST WHY WOULD YOU PUNCH HIM WITH THE PPC AAAGH

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

aniviron posted:

NOOO YOU HAVE A PERFECTLY GOOD LEFT FIST WHY WOULD YOU PUNCH HIM WITH THE PPC AAAGH

It looks like its kicking to me.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

aniviron posted:

Punch Punching Cannon right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It looks like its kicking to me.

Right in the face.

Mediums should kick Atlases in the dick.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
SO THIS IS WHAT HBS IS DOING WITH MY INVESTMENT, TAKING THE WEEKEND OFF?! CALL THE SEC!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
It's been scientifically proven* that the code you write while well-rested is twice as effective and runs in half the time.

* Source: It's so obvious I'm not going to bother linking it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

as one of their investors on the crowd financing platform KickStarter, I am appalled that they are taking time away from the game, and will be calling my attorney

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

vorebane posted:

It's been scientifically proven* that the code you write while well-rested is twice as effective and runs in half the time.

See, you think that, but it turns out they only produce as much code, as the rest of the time is spent secretly building a virus that will only target :pgi: employees plus a lootbox system that sends money directly to the programmers bank account.

I had never heard of the Society until PTN did it in his LP, and I'm in love with how Chaotic Stupid they are :allears:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Paingod556 posted:

See, you think that, but it turns out they only produce as much code, as the rest of the time is spent secretly building a virus that will only target :pgi: employees plus a lootbox system that sends money directly to the programmers bank account.

I had never heard of the Society until PTN did it in his LP, and I'm in love with how Chaotic Stupid they are :allears:

I see no problems here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

vorebane posted:

Joking aside. The persistence of crunch in the games industry and making people work 100 hour weeks for months is bizarre and crazy.

Henry Ford and his time-motion people worked out the 8 hour day as the most efficent one a hundred years ago.

Long-term* crunch is in the most literal sense of the word counter-productive.

* You can get away with long hours for a week, two at most, then productivity per hour falls through the floor.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 17, 2018