Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
They lowered the game's general ambient sounds, I mean they were already very low, quiet and rare but now it's like you are playing in a void. Honestly this is breaking my immersion :argh:, it's even sillier when you play on Erangel, I mean you are in the forest there is grass everywhere and there is not a loving noise. I want bird noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

So I feel stupid right now....what are you guys talking about with the Ambient sound?

Previous to this version there would be a slight wind/white noise to the map. Now there's nothing, making footsteps way more audible.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SalTheBard posted:

So I feel stupid right now....what are you guys talking about with the Ambient sound?

Did you not notice how significantly quieter the game is after the patch?

There was a very loud ambient noise, like "background nature sound" if nature was a loud white noise machine tuned to imitate wind blowing on a 4 dollar microphone. It never really bothered me somehow but it's gone now.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

https://clips.twitch.tv/BenevolentHardWatercressRiPepperonis

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Elentor posted:

Did you not notice how significantly quieter the game is after the patch?

There was a very loud ambient noise, like "background nature sound" if nature was a loud white noise machine tuned to imitate wind blowing on a 4 dollar microphone. It never really bothered me somehow but it's gone now.

I will be perfectly honest I hadn't, but that is really cool!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The ambient sound had phantom footsteps & car sounds, so im glad its gone

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerkface posted:

Oh god the phantom car sound was a nightmare.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jerkface posted:

O gently caress ok I did notice that now that you mention it

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I played Medal of Honor Allied Assault for years and years. It had ambient environmental sounds. Hours with that in headphones wasn't the best for my ears. Thankfully you could just delete the sounds, or use the console to stop them with out issue in most servers.

So, it's nice to not have a constant droning when playing a game for a few hours. The overall game seems very quiet to me still, though. I have my volume nearly maxed some of the times when usually at like 30% for normal use.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Elentor posted:

Oh god the phantom car sound was a nightmare.

Ha ha, yes. I only now realize how often I thought I heard a car.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

The 4x4 map seems like a dumb idea.

You need a map with enough space that people can spread out a bit initially, but not so big so that people can still cover distances without too much trouble when needed.

This means that:

The start is not a total crapshoot with everybody landing in the same place (though you can still land in a hotzone if you want).
The mid game isn't an awful ball-ache to get where you need to go.
The end has enough options of areas to finish in.

They lucked into all of this with Erangel with about 32sq km of land area.
They hosed up Miramar by making it too big and spread out and making driving over the awful terrain too lovely.
They'll gently caress up the 4x4 map by it being a crapshoot at the start and always ending in the same 3 places.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

credburn posted:

Am I lagging? This is on a North American server. I don't have this issue anywhere else, at least that I've noticed.

Are you in North America?

Regarding the ambient noise, I liked it. It sounded realistic enough and the transitions between indoors and outdoors were clearly audible. I feel like footstep sound has been slightly too loud for realism all along, making it a bit too hard to move around without alerting the whole world. Now it's even more so. Instead of removing it they could have just lowered it a bit when outdoors.

I never noticed the phantom car sounds but it seems easy enough to record a new sound if the old one was dirty. I liked the rain maps, so what do I know.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 15, 2018

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

You need a map with enough space that people can spread out a bit initially, but not so big so that people can still cover distances without too much trouble when needed.

This means that:

The start is not a total crapshoot with everybody landing in the same place (though you can still land in a hotzone if you want).

They hosed up Miramar by making it too big and spread out and making driving over the awful terrain too lovely.
They'll gently caress up the 4x4 map by it being a crapshoot at the start and always ending in the same 3 places.

I don't think Miramar's terrain is an issue for the most part, it's just that finding a vehicle is way too unreliable and the vehicles unique to the map are loathsome pieces of poo poo drastically inferior to their Erangel counterparts

If they just made a garage for Miramar and placed them liberally across the map's extremities it would already be a massive improvement, and if they made the Canyonero not a piece of poo poo even better

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

multijoe posted:

I don't think Miramar's terrain is an issue for the most part, it's just that finding a vehicle is way too unreliable and the vehicles unique to the map are loathsome pieces of poo poo drastically inferior to their Erangel counterparts

If they just made a garage for Miramar and placed them liberally across the map's extremities it would already be a massive improvement, and if they made the Canyonero not a piece of poo poo even better

There's also the issue with invisible terrain stopping bullets

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

multijoe posted:

It's the terrain combined with the lack of vehicles combined with the shittiness of said vehicles. You can loving hare across most of Erangel in any of the vehicles available apart from random terrain glitches, and there are a good number of vehicle spawns in many parts of the map. Being able to do this gives the game a sense of both pace and urgency.

There are areas in Erangel it's unwise to drive through (e.g. ruins) but they're the exception and are easily avoided. There are also things you need to get around like the Yasnaya to Georgopol river, various bumpy fields, trenches, trees, hills, to make it so that it's not too laughably easy to scream across the map but it's at a good level. If you want to get anywhere fast in Miramar then it's roads or bust almost. That might be more realistic but it's not more fun.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 15, 2018

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

It's the terrain combined with the lack of vehicles combined with the shittiness of said vehicles. You can loving hare across most of Erangel in any of the vehicles available apart from random terrain glitches, and there are a good number of vehicle spawns in many parts of the map. Being able to do this gives the game a sense of both pace and urgency.

There are areas in Erangel it's unwise to drive through (e.g. ruins) but they're the exception and are easily avoided. There are also things you need to get around like the Yasnaya to Georgopol river, various bumpy fields, trenches, trees, hills, to make it so that it's not too laughably easy to scream across the map but it's at a good level. If you want to get anywhere fast in Miramar then it's roads or bust almost. That might be more realistic but it's not more fun.

I don't think making vehicle travel harder is necessarily a bad idea and occasionally deciding whether or not to play it safe on the roads or go cross country can be an interesting strategic decision on Miramar, as opposed to being a no-brainer across the vast majority of Erangel, Bluehole just completely overdid it by making everything about driving awful on Miramar.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 15, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

They should just get rid of Mirimar, I don't think there is anything they could do to fix it gameplay wise without ruining the aesthetic. Or alternatively just make it 4x4 and all city.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if you shrank it to about 2/3 its current size (my cutting out space between POIs) it'd own.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Replace all vehicles with railroads going every which way and player drivable trains. Or those hand crank carts from cartoons.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Even pedal bikes would help

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

VulgarandStupid posted:

They should just get rid of Mirimar, I don't think there is anything they could do to fix it gameplay wise without ruining the aesthetic. Or alternatively just make it 4x4 and all city.

I would be happy if the just took the island the prison is on and made that a map

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

If you are in Canada and have an android device you can download the official pubg mobile game now. Its in beta at the moment apparently. Its actually a pretty impressive port but the controls on a touch screen are so amazingly janky. I'm pretty impressed though that it has the full map and all the same gear. It auto loots and equips weapons and attachments etc as you run over them.

Also it looks like as part of their money making model you start with no clothes whatsoever in your inventory so everyone is running around naked.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

mashed_penguin posted:

If you are in Canada and have an android device you can download the official pubg mobile game now. Its in beta at the moment apparently. Its actually a pretty impressive port but the controls on a touch screen are so amazingly janky. I'm pretty impressed though that it has the full map and all the same gear. It auto loots and equips weapons and attachments etc as you run over them.

Also it looks like as part of their money making model you start with no clothes whatsoever in your inventory so everyone is running around naked.

Why do people actually wear clothes? I enjoy running around in tightie whities, I imagine the character screaming like a loving lunatic every time I get into a fight.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

MF_James posted:

Why do people actually wear clothes? I enjoy running around in tightie whities, I imagine the character screaming like a loving lunatic every time I get into a fight.

suggestion: turn on in game voice and actually scream like a loving lunatic

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Veritek83 posted:

suggestion: turn on in game voice and actually scream like a loving lunatic

I've thought about it, sadly most fire fights I'm too far away and I don't think people can hear me? What's the range on voice?

Also, my fiancee and dog might hate me if I actually did this.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

MF_James posted:

I've thought about it, sadly most fire fights I'm too far away and I don't think people can hear me? What's the range on voice?

Also, my fiancee and dog might hate me if I actually did this.

soundboard the swelling scream of the suicide bomber from serious sam in

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The best use of in-game public chat is playing music through it in the lobby and a bunch of people start dancing with head tilts.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Star Man posted:

The best use of in-game public chat is playing music through it in the lobby and a bunch of people start dancing with head tilts.

head tilts are the best

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thom P. Tiers posted:

head tilts are the best

I wish it were possible to tilt your head in the car for some Night at the Roxbury hijinks.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Star Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOR8-MQK8c&t=62s

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnjoyableComfortableOtterSmoocherZ

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Lol whoops

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

And drat, Terminator time

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

abusing physics can lead to physics abusing you right back, it seems. Saw shroud struggling with vehicles the other night but he handled it pretty awesomely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNb47EqQu18&t=238s

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

VulgarandStupid posted:

My biggest problem with Mirimar is how the cover is so outstanding but also so clustered

So you get a game where it's easy to go for 20 minutes without seeing anyone because you're looting the big cities to a complete clusterfuck when the circle inevitably picks a field

Erangal doesn't seem to have this problem because I assume they spent more time designing the open areas to include some cover whereas in Mirimar it's like "if you're in a town/city, you're practically invisible. As soon as you leave - you're hosed"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yes. Thank you! I couldn't figure out why I hated Miramar so much and the above post summed it up perfectly.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man i have decided to agree with people who say that the stats system is broken. loving dude on my team bragging about his top .6 telling us we're idiots for dropping pochinki and he knows how to win hiding in a bush. I check his stats because he's talking poo poo, .2 kda, 10 wins over 1100 games. And yes, somehow in the top .6 percent of players.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

abigserve posted:

My biggest problem with Mirimar is how the cover is so outstanding but also so clustered

So you get a game where it's easy to go for 20 minutes without seeing anyone because you're looting the big cities to a complete clusterfuck when the circle inevitably picks a field

Erangal doesn't seem to have this problem because I assume they spent more time designing the open areas to include some cover whereas in Mirimar it's like "if you're in a town/city, you're practically invisible. As soon as you leave - you're hosed"

I think the biggest problem with Miramar is the loot concentration. The cities and terrain are way better than the original map but the issue all of the loot is concentrated in big cities. If you decide to land in anything but a city you are hosed. There are big fights early and then the winning teams from each city leave and head toward circle. This basically means a dead mid game. The original map had the choice where you could loot really any part of the map because there were clusters of small spots that if you did loot you could be decently kitted albeit not as good as a hot spot like military (think Gatka area). The original map has a much better mid game because people are coming from a lot of different spots where it makes fights happens.

I think Miramar has a better starting game and end game. The mid game is just seriously lacking because there is no one outside of cities after the initial loot period.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

man i have decided to agree with people who say that the stats system is broken. loving dude on my team bragging about his top .6 telling us we're idiots for dropping pochinki and he knows how to win hiding in a bush. I check his stats because he's talking poo poo, .2 kda, 10 wins over 1100 games. And yes, somehow in the top .6 percent of players.

The formula is really lovely IMO. I was padding stats hard one season until I burnt out. I had a top 10% rating over 80% and my rating was nearly 2,000. I had some friends bragging about how gunnery could get you to a decent rank and I cheesed for almost an entire season until I proved the point and lost interest.

I just gently caress around now and I am still around top 2%.

WhatEvil posted:

This means that:

Think this is wrong. 4x4 could be interesting if the map is super dense. If the forest/jungle is as dense as an OFP/ArmA jungle it could be really interesting.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 16, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

This is still basically an entirely new genre that's being played with so I'm not against trying stuff that seems stupid at first glance. If the 4x4 map ends up being terrible then whatever- lesson learned.

I think the smart move at this point would be opening up the custom servers to allow way more experimenting ala Valve with Half-Life but it looks like they want to keep everything locked down. It's disappointing but eventually someone else will come around with the same game with modding capabilities and that's when we'll see where this idea can really get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Enigma89 posted:

I think the biggest problem with Miramar is the loot concentration. The cities and terrain are way better than the original map but the issue all of the loot is concentrated in big cities. If you decide to land in anything but a city you are hosed. There are big fights early and then the winning teams from each city leave and head toward circle. This basically means a dead mid game. The original map had the choice where you could loot really any part of the map because there were clusters of small spots that if you did loot you could be decently kitted albeit not as good as a hot spot like military (think Gatka area). The original map has a much better mid game because people are coming from a lot of different spots where it makes fights happens.

this is also a big problem I agree. The original map felt like it had a nice flow of drop -> loot -> fight -> loot -> etc. Miramar has too big of an incentive to drop in a city and then just stay there because the only decent place to move to is another city, which is guaranteed to also be looted.

It needs more clusters of houses that actually have poo poo in them.

Also I did this which is a parser for the replay files (kill/knockout/summary) written in Go. Someone smarter than me worked out the obfuscation on those files so I can't take credit there!

hosed if I know how to parse the main replay file though, I'm guessing you'd need the source code to be able to do that...