Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Try this hot take on for size. Most Californians (that I've met thus far) aren't actually liberals.

As someone that was active in progressive community action in PA and NJ, I'm kind of shocked at how regressive this "solid blue" state is. I mean, everyone I meet talks big about gay rights, inclusive bathrooms, gun control, etc., etc. right before spouting off a sentence on economics that comes right out of "The Big Book of Reagan-era Beliefs".

I actually wimped out and added the "homeowners" part. :( I agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anecdotal, but I find that most Californians skew towards being libertarians, but just wear being a liberal progressive like it's a fashion accessory. The older ones, like the old school Berkeley hippies, still tend to be pretty radically left, though, assuming they haven't been pushed out of their homes. Then again, the Democratic party as a whole hasn't really leaned left in a while, so.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
California has a full Democratic legislator and still can't pass single payer or even universal healthcare.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hey it passed one of the houses. Looking forward to primary season as a shitload of nurses roast Assembly Speaker Rendon for holding up the bill.

I guess there's a committee report just out that lays out some incremental changes, but none of them are "get capitalism out of health care," so gently caress em.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

California has a full Democratic legislator and still can't pass single payer or even universal healthcare.

"can't," lol.

They've managed to pass it when there's a Republican governor who can veto it, as they did twice under Arnold.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CPColin posted:

Hey it passed one of the houses. Looking forward to primary season as a shitload of nurses roast Assembly Speaker Rendon for holding up the bill.

I guess there's a committee report just out that lays out some incremental changes, but none of them are "get capitalism out of health care," so gently caress em.

Hahahaha:

quote:

Some of the key proposals:

* Expand Medi-Cal to all eligible adults who are in the U.S. illegally. The program is currently available to unauthorized immigrants under the age of 19.

* Permit unauthorized immigrants to buy subsidized insurance through Covered California.

* Create a state tax penalty for failing to buy health insurance, replacing the Affordable Care Act mandate that the federal government eliminated in the recently-passed tax bill.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I mean, everyone I meet talks big about gay rights

Prop 8 wasn't *that* long ago. Ask how they voted, if you think they'd be honest.

The "Yes on 8" rally and signs in my Bay Area neighborhood were pretty loving eye opening.

Edit: people were out there with their kids. I'm pissed off just thinking about it again.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 15, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They had a lot of people coming from out of state campaigning to get prop 8 passed.

Everybody I knew in the Bay Area was vehemently against it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Remember when there was some nebulous "Yes on 8 because TAXES" bullshit to distract everyone from the gross prejudice on display?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

jeeves posted:

Housing won't get fixed ever because it is the ultimate NIMBY issue.

People don't care about it unless they're looking for a house. Once they find a 'deal' or get lucky or whatever, they're like HAHAHA I GOT MINE, and don't care about fixing the issue for anyone else.

Sort of like how Prop 13 won't ever get fixed.

People 'own' property by carrying a mortgage secured with the property itself. If the property's value suddenly plummets (as would happen if there was a sudden glut of affordable housing) it would leave those people underwater on their mortgages. That doesn't really excuse anything, just pointing out the home owners are just as trapped by the current system as the non-home owners.

Capitalism is bad.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Panfilo posted:

They had a lot of people coming from out of state campaigning to get prop 8 passed.

The out of state people didn't vote, and it passed. There were plenty of Bay Area people who voted for it. I didn't imagine the signs and rally, and those people weren't bussed in from Utah. They were my neighbors.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Family Values posted:

People 'own' property by carrying a mortgage secured with the property itself. If the property's value suddenly plummets (as would happen if there was a sudden glut of affordable housing) it would leave those people underwater on their mortgages. That doesn't really excuse anything, just pointing out the home owners are just as trapped by the current system as the non-home owners.

Capitalism is bad.
They can still live in the house if the value drops or... Since California is a non recourse state, they could just walk away. They aren't trapped. The only thing holding people in place would be sunk cost fallacy and the credit score hit.

If you suddenly don't like your house because the value dropped, it means you overpaid for it.

e:I thought we learned not to treat primary homes as leveraged investments 10 years ago.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 15, 2018

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Hm yes, homelessness is one possible outcome, good point.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Banks don't suddenly do a margin call when equity goes negative.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Property should be assessed for tax purposes inversely proportional to density. Condos have been at near price parity for a long rear end time around here.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Panfilo posted:

Lol. There's like one gay bar left in the Castro because all the rich tech people pushed the gross gays out. You're kidding yourself if you think the bay area does anything more than lip service to giving a gently caress about gay rights. It's days as a counterculture center are long dead.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The out of state people didn't vote, and it passed. There were plenty of Bay Area people who voted for it. I didn't imagine the signs and rally, and those people weren't bussed in from Utah. They were my neighbors.

The out of state groups were heavily invested in getting it passed. People can be externally influenced to vote on things unfortunately.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

Lol. There's like one gay bar left in the Castro because all the rich tech people pushed the gross gays out. You're kidding yourself if you think the bay area does anything more than lip service to giving a gently caress about gay rights. It's days as a counterculture center are long dead.

Forget about counterculture, it's on the verge of dystopian hellscape. Gleaming boutiques on one street, tent encampments on another... at least until the latter gets broken up by the cops. And anyone above the gentrification line whose actually pissed at the situation is too busy working themselves to death in order to stay afloat.

Startup culture is the worst loving thing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Skippy McPants posted:

Forget about counterculture, it's on the verge of dystopian hellscape. Gleaming boutiques on one street, tent encampments on another... at least until the latter gets broken up by the cops. And anyone above the gentrification line whose actually pissed at the situation is too busy working themselves to death in order to stay afloat.

But hey we at least can use filters on apps to escape from (or "augment" if you're in the know) our glorious technocratic society.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Panfilo posted:

The out of state groups were heavily invested in getting it passed. People can be externally influenced to vote on things unfortunately.

I'm not saying that out of state groups had no effect, but I think it's bullshit to use them to absolve California of responsibility. At the end of the day, California voters voted to remove legal same sex marriage and the ultimate responsibility is theirs.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Skippy McPants posted:

GrandpaPants posted:

But hey we at least can use filters on apps to escape from (or "augment" if you're in the know) our glorious technocratic society.

I find it interesting how the West coast becomes more and more like Shadowrun everyday.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it interesting how the West coast becomes more and more like Shadowrun everyday.
It is okay. Soon we will have BTL chips and we won't have to worry about anything.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CopperHound posted:

They can still live in the house if the value drops or... Since California is a non recourse state, they could just walk away.

Absolutely, there's no consequences for forfeiting the primary asset for building wealth in America...jesus.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The fact that people think of homes in certain cities in California as investments is another indicator of how hosed up the market is. A primary home that you live in would typically only see re-sale values increase by maybe 1% over inflation a year, that has been the norm in the US for the last 100 years. The whole "buying a house is an investment" jargon is a relatively new invention and only works in the most hosed up of housing markets.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Every other realistic way to build wealth has been cut off to people. If you're going to take the last one away then you better come up with a hell of a redistribution model to replace it.

Also I'm not talking about building wealth as in speculation/house flipping, but building it through equity.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

AngryBooch posted:

The fact that people think of homes in certain cities in California as investments is another indicator of how hosed up the market is. A primary home that you live in would typically only see re-sale values increase by maybe 1% over inflation a year, that has been the norm in the US for the last 100 years. The whole "buying a house is an investment" jargon is a relatively new invention and only works in the most hosed up of housing markets.

Yeah. The fact that economics tout rising home prices as indicative of a strong economy is so loving stupid. It's only good for the rich and the banks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yeah. The fact that economics tout rising home prices as indicative of a strong economy is so loving stupid. It's only good for the rich and the banks.

and boomers

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Only some of them. There are plenty of boomers that are victims of the system but are idiots and still support the system because any day now their ship will come in. Temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AngryBooch posted:

Most people lost the idea of buying as an investment back at the last crash. I mean, some people are still talking that trash, but right now if you can afford the down payment, a house in LA is cheaper than renting in LA. And if you can afford two houses, you can make money renting to people.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Most people lost the idea of buying as an investment back at the last crash. I mean, some people are still talking that trash, but right now if you can afford the down payment, a house in LA is cheaper than renting in LA. And if you can afford two houses, you can make money renting to people.

I am really struggling to see how this is the case. Which area are we talking here? Certainly not where I’m at in the South Bay. I’m paying far far less in rent vs what the mortgage payment on this same place would be.

Up in the rear end end of the valley? Eh maybe true I guess. Have fun saving up the $90K for your 20% down though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

if you can afford the down payment, a house in LA is cheaper than renting in LA. And if you can afford two houses, you can make money renting to people.

It’s almost like the nature of capitalism makes life easier for those with large amounts of capital at the expense of those who don’t.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^^ yup

MarcusSA posted:

I am really struggling to see how this is the case. Which area are we talking here? Certainly not where I’m at in the South Bay. I’m paying far far less in rent vs what the mortgage payment on this same place would be.

Up in the rear end end of the valley? Eh maybe true I guess. Have fun saving up the $90K for your 20% down though.

Anywhere left of the 405 for a 2br apartment is going to be 2800-4000. You can buy a house on the other side of the 405 for around a 3k mortgage with more rooms and space. Renting a house is substantially more than that.

Granted it's not the same exact place, but close enough that the commute isn't much different.

But you need to have the down payment. Most people don't because yeah it's an enormous pile of cash.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

^^^ yup

Anywhere left of the 405 for a 2br apartment is going to be 2800-4000. You can buy a house on the other side of the 405 for around a 3k mortgage with more rooms and space. Renting a house is substantially more than that.

Granted it's not the same exact place, but close enough that the commute isn't much different.

But you need to have the down payment. Most people don't because yeah it's an enormous pile of cash.

So I just checked and did a sample of Inglewood and while you aren’t exactly wrong its not as simple as you make it out to be either. The average rent in Inglewood for a house is 2400-2800 for a 3/1 or 2/1 depending on the area. To buy the same place they are running in the $500’s which would put your mortgage payment about the same (maybe a little higher because of property taxes) but to buy you also need to come up with $100,000 god drat dollars for the down payment. If you can’t do that and you go FHA then your mortgage payment will be significantly higher vs rent.

Also the people that even could afford a 500k mortgage payment how loving long would it even take to save up that 100k? A drat long time that’s for sure.

For me I’d rather rent in a nice area for less then it would cost me to buy in the same area and not have to deal with buying a 80 year old house that needs a poo poo load of work.

LA is hosed for buying.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

cis autodrag posted:

This isn’t actually true, unless by “gay bar” you mean “lesbian bar”.

(Or if you’re referring to the trend of straight people going to gay bars?)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

but to buy you also need to come up with $100,000 god drat dollars for the down payment. If you can’t do that and you go FHA then your mortgage payment will be significantly higher vs rent.

Not sure what point your making:

Jaxyon posted:

but right now if you can afford the down payment, a house in LA is cheaper than renting in LA.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Property values will never go down. Why save and wait and miss out on all those gravy capital gains when I could be riding the sweet ride of zero down interest only mortgages?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The silver lining I can see with all this is that nearly everybody, including out of touch boomers (many of whom don’t want to leave the Bay Area ever) are starting to agree that something needs to be done about housing. No point in having a two million dollar ranch home if the place you want to upgrade to is now four million. You still have a few morons who want to do things like kill techies and seize their apartments or put a wall around California, but they’re becoming outnumbered.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to run some numbers here based on what was stated for the Inglewood area comparing a $500k house with $400k mortgage @ 4.25% to $2400-2800 rent:
Total cost of mortgage: $708393
Average interest payment/month: $856
Property tax/month: $417 (is there mello-roos also? LA county assessor doesn't have itemized bills on the site)
Fire insurance: ~$100
Maintenance: ~$400
Water/sewer/trash: ~$100 (do rents typically include water there?)

This puts us close to $2k/month average in expenses alone or $3k if you include the principal payment.

So sure, it technically is cheaper in the long run but it is a far horizon. Get a house because you want one, not because it is a sound financial decision. Tying up all your wealth in one asset is far from a sound financial decision.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah most rentals you won’t pay water and trash.

Also lol trying to save up that $100,000 while renting in a decent neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/OurRevolution/status/974057637250813952

https://twitter.com/JaneKim/status/974420322429517824

:ughh:

So Sierra Club CA is basically just a lobby group for homeowners now?