Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

dunno how you research 3rd party sob minis and miss the only ones that are actually aesthetically similar to the official line

I can vouch for the grishnak sisters, I've had a squad of them assembled in my painting backlog for shadow war purposes for like a year now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

4th had...an entire page of just names of wargear for chaos marines).

It may be (pedantically?) worth pointing out that the Codex you're referring to was a holdover from 3rd Edition. The 4th Edition Chaos book was, infamously, the one marking the shift of GW's rules writing from "wild and complicated" to "streamlined and kinda boring."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BirdieBedtime posted:

It may be (pedantically?) worth pointing out that the Codex you're referring to was a holdover from 3rd Edition. The 4th Edition Chaos book was, infamously, the one marking the shift of GW's rules writing from "wild and complicated" to "streamlined and kinda boring."

gently caress that book and its generic daemons

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

dunno how you research 3rd party sob minis and miss the only ones that are actually aesthetically similar to the official line

I actually didnt miss Grishnak, it's just that their last VK post was a while ago, and their site is dead/redirects to an adware loop. You are right that they do look great, and if they're still in biz I'l happily add them in.

E: by the way, Heresy Lab's stretch goals unlocked three girl versions of the officio assassinorum; they're concept art only ATM but said art looks pretty cool and they're not too rare in a 2k sisters army.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 15, 2018

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So the LGS here is hosting a casual tournament at the end of the month I might try for. I'm a little worried about a "casual tournament" using the ITC packet though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

So the LGS here is hosting a casual tournament at the end of the month I might try for. I'm a little worried about a "casual tournament" using the ITC packet though.

Expect the worst, but don't be part of the problem.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
What exactly does the SM chapter master stratagem do? Does the character in question give all <chapter> units "reroll misses", or what changes? I can't seem to find any info anywhere.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I am thinking of going digital for my next codex purchase.

Are the epub versions updated with FAQ's and what not? Or is that just the Enhanced versions? The epubs appeal to me for the ability to print stuff out if I need too. The one person I know that owns an enhanced codex says he can't print stuff out well due to the way everything is hot linked in the book.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

What exactly does the SM chapter master stratagem do? Does the character in question give all <chapter> units "reroll misses", or what changes? I can't seem to find any info anywhere.

It exchanges a captains rites of battle ability "you can reroll hit rolls of 1 made for friendly <chapter> units within 6" of this model" for the chapter master ability "you can reroll any failed hits rolls for friendly <chapter> units within 6" of this model" and changes their keyword from captain to chapter master.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kilazar posted:

Are the epub versions updated with FAQ's and what not? Or is that just the Enhanced versions? The epubs appeal to me for the ability to print stuff out if I need too. The one person I know that owns an enhanced codex says he can't print stuff out well due to the way everything is hot linked in the book.

Only the enhanced ones, otherwise I would have gone digital awhile ago.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Artum posted:

It exchanges a captains rites of battle ability "you can reroll hit rolls of 1 made for friendly <chapter> units within 6" of this model" for the chapter master ability "you can reroll any failed hits rolls for friendly <chapter> units within 6" of this model" and changes their keyword from captain to chapter master.

Thanks. Where can I find the full rules for this stratagem?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Only the enhanced ones, otherwise I would have gone digital awhile ago.

Well that stinks. And the enhanced edition is apple only I take it? No way to jailbreak it to another reader on an android device?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Thanks. Where can I find the full rules for this stratagem?

The stratagems page of codex space marines, its one of the few good ones vanilla marines have though it makes up for it by being so damned powerful.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kilazar posted:

Well that stinks. And the enhanced edition is apple only I take it? No way to jailbreak it to another reader on an android device?

Not that I know of.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Kilazar posted:

That is correct. This was actually a small factor in my own recent decision to switch to an iPhone.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

Going through AdMech stratagems:

I can use this to fire twice with a unit, or during my opponents turn, correct?

I have another question in relation to that: I'm presuming you reveal the objective to both players if that's what you pick? Not just yourself, somehow?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Not that I know of.

Pendent posted:

That is correct. This was actually a small factor in my own recent decision to switch to an iPhone.

Thanks for the quick replies! Guess it's physical and spiral binding for me. Was hoping to get away from that.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Artum posted:

The stratagems page of codex space marines, its one of the few good ones vanilla marines have though it makes up for it by being so damned powerful.

Thanks. So if I am to attend a tournament, I can decide before the game starts, depending on what I'm facing, wether I'm upgrading my captain or not? Sounds good to me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

evilmiera posted:

I have another question in relation to that: I'm presuming you reveal the objective to both players if that's what you pick? Not just yourself, somehow?

You reveal it in whatever way that narrative mission handles revealing objectives, which is probably to both players.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You reveal it in whatever way that narrative mission handles revealing objectives, which is probably to both players.

Unless you're dark angels and you get a stratagem for it, which is fun in team games because then theres two of you conspiring.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Thanks. So if I am to attend a tournament, I can decide before the game starts, depending on what I'm facing, wether I'm upgrading my captain or not? Sounds good to me.

Depends on the tournament rules. Some will let you choose game to game, some will require you to use that strat, pick warlord trait/relics etc. and use the same all tournament.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Eldar are real hard to sell, my dudes. I'm about at the point of just hocking them off to a trader for store credit.

As for real First World Problems, I am having a ton of fun building a Baneblade for my GSC, yet cannot wait to get started on converting some Canoptek Acanthrites from boxes of Wraiths for my Necrons that I haven't used since 7th. How do goons with multiple armies deal with all the excitement of building/painting/playing more than one force?

e: I really have not built any motivation to paint a billion gaunts/gants, even speedpainting by applying a light wash and drybrushing white. I guess this means I have some for sale.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 15, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Build and paint furiously while kidding yourself that you'll one day 'finish' an army and it'll come out of the rotation

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Be that guy who gives people poo poo for dithering on projects and be forced by your own word to finish your drat projects before starting a new one.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artum posted:

man i wish there was a version of this for Blood Angels Successors

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Prioritize one at a time and have sub-goals, such as "one HQ, two troops." Use bigger or flashier models as a reward for finishing a full squad of troops or something more boring. Plan what you want to field and paint that, and don't play with things that aren't full assembled and painted, so you have a reason to paint them.

I've 'finished' 6 armies of 2k+ points and I can tell you that it is, in fact, possible.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

man i wish there was a version of this for Blood Angels Successors

Do a counts as Gabriel Seth if you want it for your gunline. He’s really cheap and and impressively effective for it. Dante’s a bit more expensive but it is what it is I guess.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Kilazar posted:

In addition to the other problems mentioned with your plan, viewing and printing the epub3 files they have been making codexes in since just before 8th released is actually difficult. There is very few software that will render it correctly, and as far as I can tell, no software that will print it correctly. I spent hours and hours trying to print to PDF and gave up.

Viewing the epub3 on a PC sucks. Readium is the only software that seems to even render right.

I think when the :files: pirates make it a pdf they use the Adobe software that can make epub3 in the first place. I was just trying to read my drat legit book I bought.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pendent posted:

You know, I'd actually consider doing this if they shipped to the US.

:same:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pendent posted:

Do a counts as Gabriel Seth if you want it for your gunline. He’s really cheap and and impressively effective for it. Dante’s a bit more expensive but it is what it is I guess.

I don't want to have to do counts-as shenanigans, I went to a lot of trouble to model my little dudes as a specific successor with its own background and tactical specializations, especially the jump pack t.hammer-s.shield captain i built from the sanguinary guard box and assault termie bits to be my 'chapter master' and being barred from fielding the real thing stings when the vanilla marines get it right there in their stratagems. i'd happily pay the 3 CP to make that otherwise generic hq choice a legit chapter master if they just copy/pasted that strat over from the vanilla marines book.

don't even get me started on having one mediocre relic to choose from if you play any chapter of the blood but BA Blood Angels

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

My local archfoe runs guardians of the covenant but runs them as dark angels with azrael because they aren't legion building shut up don't be silly.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

I don't want to have to do counts-as shenanigans, I went to a lot of trouble to model my little dudes as a specific successor with its own background and tactical specializations, especially the jump pack t.hammer-s.shield captain i built from the sanguinary guard box and assault termie bits to be my 'chapter master' and being barred from fielding the real thing stings when the vanilla marines get it right there in their stratagems. i'd happily pay the 3 CP to make that otherwise generic hq choice a legit chapter master if they just copy/pasted that strat over from the vanilla marines book.

don't even get me started on having one mediocre relic to choose from if you play any chapter of the blood but BA Blood Angels

I totally get where you're coming from FYI. I personally don't care too much about the lack of a chapter master strategem -although I certainly understand why people do - but the relic situation is borderline criminal. If you weren't forced to effectively give up taking a useful relic entirely I'd actually probably buy and take Gabriel Seth from time to time to buff my tanks. Then there's the deal with the (lack of) special characters for the successors. It makes sense that they wouldn't get access to Dante or Mephiston but there's no reason they shouldn't be able to take characters like The Sanguinor or Astorath who are noted as showing up for other chapters at least.

When it comes down to it we're really all forced to just run as Blood Angels whether we want to or not. I'm one of the fortunate who were already doing so, albeit with a slightly non-standard paint scheme. There's a bunch of people over on the BA subforum who have lovingly painted successors who were not at all thrilled about the situation though.

Artum posted:

My local archfoe runs guardians of the covenant but runs them as dark angels with azrael because they aren't legion building shut up don't be silly.

This can potentially make a bit of sense for the Blood Angels now as well post Devastation of Baal. Dante's in charge of everything on that side of the Great Rift these days and it would make sense that he'd be making heavy use of his successor chapters. I'm working toward a mixed "crusade" army with Blood Angels along with a bunch of other Imperium stuff to represent Dante's push toward retaking the Dark Imperium.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 15, 2018

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One of the guys I follow on IG painted up Dorn as a Crimson Fist. Pretty rad looking.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ah i'd love to be able to take the sanguinor, i dunno if i'd do him up in my own little chapter's colors or all bright and red like the first founding guys by way of contrast, either would be a great piece to have

but nope, nope, he only works with and for the originals now

at least my librarian dead can fill in as a 'flying super-combatant' type

e:
this looks so much better with a helmet on

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 15, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I just got this in an email from GW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k5rwxv2MQ0

Looks like I'm getting back into Necromunda :homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ4NDf7f24M

Oh and probably Blood Bowl too. :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

zeal posted:

I'm in a similar boat, I had already decided on a bright blue/turquoise color scheme for my Primaris guys before I decided to make a BA successor chapter, which in and of itself isn't the end of the world, but the thing that finally hooked me in to the BA was after a Primaris only test game, my buddy whipped out an old metal Astorath he had sitting around since I was enjoying their new chapter tactic and gave it to me. I included him in the list for our next game and he was beastly, carving through a unit of DG terminators with some backup from a squad of Reivers and then flying across the entire table to absolutely house a unit of plague marines and capture an objective, and from then on I was in.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal to say these are all being run as Blood Angels, but it does bother me that I can't just have actual BA and a successor chapter working together flawlessly with full access to relics, etc.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Is it a dumb idea to magnitise the top and bottom halves of a Redemptor dread?
It would make transport alot easier, just not sure if it's too heavy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Soggy Chips posted:

Big enough magnets and you'll probably be okay.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Forgebane goes up for preorder this weekend.

That was fast! Looking forward to more robutts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Soggy Chips posted:

I've found the trick with magnetising is to also drill and pin the thing, so it doesn't wobble about or fall off.

Its how I dealt with the repulsors incredibly awkward base.