Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

:stare:

Nothing matters? Or does this, y'know...matter?

Nothing matters until Republicans don't have full control of every branch of government.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

So this whistleblower is definitely going to jail right?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lol I wonder who blew this whistle

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Dietrich posted:

Asking a woke person: I feel like more white people would agree with the statement that PoC's are systematically oppressed than the statement that white people are privileged, because the concept of privilege is more foggy than the concept of oppression, and most white people would probably rather look at the issue as one of eliminating oppression than removing their own privilege. Is there subtextual difference between these two concepts that I'm missing or can I use them interchangeably in conversations?

From my hwhite point of view, I was under the impression what white people should strive for is ending oppression and acknowledging privilege and elevating everyone to that privilege rather than breaking down said privilege. So yeah they are different IMO in that we want one to go away, and the other for everybody.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

mmmm yes this looks like a legit tweet from a trusted source

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Google Butt posted:

The latter. It's soft.

it's almost certainly soft, but good sanctions at this point target russians, not russia. specifically, they target putin's inner circle of oligarchs that form the backbone of his power. you get a shitton more leverage making his oligarchs suffer than making the country generally suffer.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/974316651192692736

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Koalas March posted:

I also think oppression is something you can "see" whereas privilege is basically invisible.

Another way I've heard it explained that resonated with me: oppression is the visible stuff; privilege is white people's ability to ignore that oppression and/or confront it exclusively on their own terms.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ummel posted:

Why is a tact gear officer smoking cigarettes patrolling a teen movie theater anyway?

Roy Moore kind of needed a job, OK?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Gnossiennes posted:

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/974316651192692736

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal posted:

While I cant speak for everyone, I think a big hurdle in the use of privilege in discussions ends up being the implication rather than right/wrong; the idea that even though they might be poor, they're well-off because they're white, for example.

also imo privilege isn't the absence of oppression, there's a neutral ground between the two. privilige is preferential treatment, oppression is undeserved disciplinary or derogatory treatment, whereas there is space in between for sort of generic treatment that's like "you're allowed here, but we're not going to do you any favors". where white people who are legitimately poor or cast themselves as poor can see others getting some (wealthier, higher status whites) getting preferential treatment over themselves and so classify themselves incorrectly as oppressed, which also helps to mask when those people do get legitimate preferential treatment

Nazzadan posted:

From my hwhite point of view, I was under the impression what white people should strive for is ending oppression and acknowledging privilege and elevating everyone to that privilege rather than breaking down said privilege. So yeah they are different IMO in that we want one to go away, and the other for everybody.

yeah basically everyone in society should be treated as well as a handsome young white man from a good family on the high school football team

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trump took the state part of "deep state" too literally.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wasn't this transparent from since Dotard started?
He left spaces vacated, and most departments sent around 'you will do what the Piss God wants' type memos

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Gnossiennes posted:

I don't post bullshit. At least not tweets about legit news.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Your Taint posted:

sorry for the call out on the source, but point still stands -- if a tweet says "source just said", it might be prudent to use the actual source and not a rando.

otherwise, it just kinda looks like some bullshit. v:shobon:v

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

:stare:

Nothing matters? Or does this, y'know...matter?

entirely depends on what the remedy is under the law, which i don't know. if the government needs to investigate itself, lol. if the fired people have an independent right to sue and get to get discovery, ho boy.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dietrich posted:

Asking a woke person: I feel like more white people would agree with the statement that PoC's are systematically oppressed than the statement that white people are privileged, because the concept of privilege is more foggy than the concept of oppression, and most white people would probably rather look at the issue as one of eliminating oppression than removing their own privilege. Is there subtextual difference between these two concepts that I'm missing or can I use them interchangeably in conversations?

Recognizing privilege requires a different sort of empathy and thought than recognizing oppression.

The leap between "People of color are systematically oppressed" and "Regardless of what other troubles I have in my life, the system is not designed to gently caress me over in this way" is a large one. When you(royal you) feel like you're not receiving the same advantages as others (whether it's poverty or being well-off but not as much as the Joneses), recognizing your privilege gets even tougher, because we seem wired to focus on what we lack, rather than what we have.

You can use them interchangeably (you can do drat near anything you want), but the phenomena they refer to are different, though linked.

Shifty Pony posted:

I hate that I had to check to see if this was an Alexandra Petri article.

I hate even more that it was not.
Extremely :same:, for every single post link I click.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 15, 2018

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Oh hey cool, a Compaction Cycle working its way through the federal apparatus, removing the unloyal and replacing them with hardliners.

Jesus it's weird watching my (at the time) wildassed theories from a vanity project I started 3 years ago play out in the White House. gently caress me if I didn't go into therapy and regain my sanity just in time to watch half the country lose theirs.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Edmund Lava posted:

So this whistleblower is definitely going to jail right?

By 'jail' you mean 'unmarked white van and never seen again' right

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Your Taint posted:

Don't post tweets from randos unless they're me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Gnossiennes posted:

sorry for the call out on the source, but point still stands -- if a tweet says "source just said", it might be prudent to use the actual source and not a rando.

otherwise, it just kinda looks like some bullshit. v:shobon:v

I get where you're coming from. I was about to post a tweet with a screenshot of the chryon, but the window kept closing and I kept getting redirectdedt what looks like a pop up ad. I gave up after the fourth consecutive time. Only in this site though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Neurolimal posted:

Beaten on this, but DR had second thoughts that day because the group he assumed was The Enemy was accepting of him, creepy bowl cut and all. If it only took one visit for him to get second thoughts then he certainly would have benefited from more. That's the point and case for Integration Vs. Segregation.

IMO this applies to police brutality in general as well; it's no surprise that police brutality and executions have risen right alongside lower and lower on-foot patrols and community events. The cops in Ferguson didn't even live there, let alone patrol.

I don't agree. I think he was set on his path and nothing was going to change that. If the doubt from one visit didn't turn into more time spent there then it wasn't going to stop him.

I'm not trying to argue against the original premise that humanization (for lack of better term I guess) works just that once you reach a certain point you cross over into nazi territory where a fist becomes the only option.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

There seems to be an implied "they're letting random redhats look at State Department communications" there.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Google Butt posted:

The latter. It's soft.

gently caress, for a while there I was hoping we'd have the piss tape by tonight :smith:

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

"State department employees, who ultimately work for the president, face reprocussions for not doing what president says"

How is this news? If the CEO of my company had a vision, and my actions opposed that vision, my rear end would get canned

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

935 posted:

How is this news? If the CEO of my company had a vision, and my actions opposed that vision, my rear end would get canned

:ssh: Because its illegal. Voting in a president does not mean forcing everyone to get in line with his vision.

The United States is not a business.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

i first started reading the news when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "politics" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "trump" and "this is fine" in my head for hours...

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND SLAM MY PALMS TOGETHER. ITS A PRAYER FOR A QUICK DEATH AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START EXPECTING THE WORST OUT OF OUR 45TH PRESIDENT, TRUMP. I PANIC AND I BREAKDOWN HARD. MAKIN PAINED SOUNDS WHEN HE SLAMS DOWN SOME UNPRECEDENTED STUPID BULLSHIT OR EVEN WHEN THE DEMS gently caress UP AGAIn

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

935 posted:

"State department employees, who ultimately work for the president, face reprocussions for not doing what president says"

Because it's explicitly illegal to do so?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Wasn't this transparent from since Dotard started?
He left spaces vacated, and most departments sent around 'you will do what the Piss God wants' type memos

Trump's single litmus test for how much he likes you is your absolute loyalty to him. Early on in the administration, unqualified campaign toadies were hoping to get installed as loyalty commissars in nonpartisan government offices (until they were cast aside by Trump's appointees for being useless even by their standards).

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/trump-white-house-civil-war-236917

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

935 posted:

I'm surprised your middle school doesn't block Something Awful Forums.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Someone make a drat thread about the police and post it endlessly in here. We have the president actually lying to our neighbors head of state and bragging about it and instead we are going endlessly about police brutality

We used to have those but then people would come in to intentionally make then bad so that they got gassed then brag about it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

935 posted:

Jesus christ, there are some extremely bad scorchingly hot takes this morning!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Am I terrible for legitimately liking this? Fine, I don't even care anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzt7JvsYIuI

I did not appreciate Shaggy's acting abilities enough the first time around

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

935 posted:

Because its wildly illegal to do that to government employees.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

935 posted:

how is this news, asks man too dumb to know it's news because it's specifically illegal

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

935 posted:

Scorcher

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Dietrich posted:

Feels like the GOP's going to do anything they can to prevent Lamb from being seated until the district goes away, so probably when the issue reaches the PA supreme court for a smack down.

Lol they can waste their time and money on that because while that's pretty good for Dem morale its not like his vote in the house will change anything

They already lost even if they prevent him from seating

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Prester Jane posted:

Oh hey cool, a Compaction Cycle working its way through the federal apparatus, removing the unloyal and replacing them with hardliners.

Jesus it's weird watching my (at the time) wildassed theories from a vanity project I started 3 years ago play out in the White House. gently caress me if I didn't go into therapy and regain my sanity just in time to watch half the country lose theirs.

i know it doesnt really matter. but would they even be able to find hardliners though. seems to me alot of these positions arnt being filled because even the hardliners know the trump admin is a burning ship. hell they can't even fill the CBP/border patrol because the people applying are all morons/weird racists/addicts looking to score/bribes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

935 posted:

I really appreciate making your first post in this thread one of the dumbest. Really planting that flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

935 posted:

also a government is not a company.

• Locked thread