Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Real life racing game. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Strap him to one of SpaceX’s rockets and let Elon Musk finally do a good thing

let Sage drive Elon around with no seat belts

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/indycar-ceo-guarantees-indy-500-bump-day-amid-overall-series-optimism

Mark Miles posted:

IndyCar CEO Mark Miles tells Autoweek there are "at least three large international companies" negotiating to become the IndyCar Series sponsor next season.

Once a new television contract for IndyCar is announced, Miles will dive back into negotiations to land a new series sponsor to replace Verizon at the end of its contract in 2018.

Some of the names that have been floated include some broad-based international companies. Miles, however, chose not to confirm the identity of those potential sponsors.

"We have several companies that are interested in talking with us about title sponsorship," Miles said. "Some are internationally based. All do business in the United States. We need to get this media announcement out (on the TV package) and then focus on that.

"It’s very large and important international companies. I can say there are at least three large international companies that are part of the conversation."

Mark Miles posted:

Among the big news that came out of St. Pete is the car count for the 102nd Indianapolis 500 is expected to reach 35 to 36 cars. Does Miles guarantee a Bump Day in 2018?

"Yes," he said emphatically. "I think we have 34 now, and it will be as high as 35 to 36. It may not be the Bump Days of old, but somebody will be on edge trying to figure out if they are going to be in the race."

Somebody loving pinch me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

American open wheel and American sports cars are the two healthiest series in the world. What the gently caress.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sato the first to bin one of the new tubs. Hes ok.

quote:

Sato's big Turn 2 crash in his RLL Honda saw the reigning Indy 500 winner ricochet from the outside of Turn 2 to the inside, and then back to the outside again, coming to a stop in the middle of Turns 3 and 4, according to one eyewitness.

"Taku's fine, but the car wasn't as lucky," Bobby Rahal told RACER. "It wasn't what we needed. It got all four corners, but the good thing is he's OK."

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/148078-winds-sato-crash-curtail-texas-testing

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The Kimoa Kid posted:

American open wheel and American sports cars are the two healthiest series in the world. What the gently caress.

Give it 20 years, we'll gently caress it up again somehow.

But let's just enjoy it until then, okay?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

quote:

"It’s always been expensive if you don’t get in. Just ask Roger Penske in 1995."

:iceburn:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Full broadcast if you missed the race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjyrlrRElbQ

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Full broadcast if you missed the race:

But ABC missed the race, though??

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo I missed that the first time through. Cooooold.

Unrelated but it came to my mind while chatting earlier today. Has any driver other than AJ won the 500 with both forced induction and natural aspiration, prior to turbos being alternatively banned or mandatory?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Holy poo poo I missed that the first time through. Cooooold.

Unrelated but it came to my mind while chatting earlier today. Has any driver other than AJ won the 500 with both forced induction and natural aspiration, prior to turbos being alternatively banned or mandatory?

Bobby Unser?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AJ plus:

Big Al (70 and 71 NA, 78 and 87 Turbo)
Arie (90 Turbo and 97 NA)
Montoya (00 NA and 15 Turbo)
Dario (07 and 10 NA, and 12 Turbo)

I didnt look at prewar though. Might be more in there.

e: aw poo poo, i forgot some of the offy's were NA in the early days. im too lazy to check all those sorry!!!

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 16, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Speaking of AJ, he got attacked by bees while fuckin around on his tractor... AGAIN

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/148081-foyt-recovering-after-another-killer-bee-attack

quote:

"It was scary, I won't lie," Foyt told RACER on Thursday evening while sitting in his race shop in Waller, Texas. "I pushed down a tree with my bulldozer and thought I saw a bunch of honey bees but they weren't.

"So I threw it in reverse and got away from them. At least I thought I did. I got off the dozer and had about a block to walk to my truck when they came swarming down on me.

"I started running and made it to my truck and I got the windows down going about 60 mph trying to keep them off my face but they're stinging my eyes and my neck and I'm glad I had a jacket on."

aj please i beg of you.... never stop whatever it is the hell that you do everyday. never ever stop it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It’s amazing, let’s enjoy before the swings and roundabouts start again.

Interesting that Miles would drop that they have “at least three” multinationals in line for the sponsorship. Trying to think who would fit the profile of the mentioned companies, not sure though. But still - it’s good times now.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Speaking of AJ, he got attacked by bees while fuckin around on his tractor... AGAIN

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/148081-foyt-recovering-after-another-killer-bee-attack

Turns out AJ was actually swatting at a bee trying to save Arie from a sting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3NY9n_hIY

Who knew!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If AJ Foyt is ultimately murdered by bees while on a tractor then that's a loving awesome way to go out imo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Taku's car

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Even smashed it still looks really good.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I wonder what let go, to make it careen the way it did.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Taku's car

Ambulance chasing is my favorite part of being at the track.

Bentai posted:

I wonder what let go, to make it careen the way it did.

They said the winds were high so I'm guessing he caught a gust of wind at the wrong part of a corner

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

ABC is done with Indycar after 2018, if the Twitters can be believed.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Stop; I can only get so erect.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

https://twitter.com/JeffCoxWGXA/status/975019656321880065

WE DID IT, GUYS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:getin:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The coverage of St. Petersburg was the only bad thing about that entire race (besides the physical manifestion of Hitler, Genghis Khan, Attilia the Hun and Henry Kissinger in the form of Alexander Rossi).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dear SiPag: Use this paint sometime please:
https://twitter.com/tradingpaints/status/974717471222566912

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Here's some nightmare fuel: what if NBC hires Cheever and Goodyear?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Shut up shut up shut up shut shut UP

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

you son of a bitch

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does John Watson still do commentary? Him and Ben Edwards were a great combo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In all seriousness I'd like to see at least DeBruhl make the jump, but I'm partial because he was on the local news for so drat long.

Alternate nightmare fuel: Danica in the booth after Indy.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

In all seriousness I'd like to see at least DeBruhl make the jump, but I'm partial because he was on the local news for so drat long.

MODS!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

From what I understand, she wasn't bad in the booth on the Fox broadcasts, but grain of salt as I didn't watch those first hand.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Danica, thoughts on how this race will play out??"

"According to the vernal equinox and my semi-powered J.O. crystal I believe Max Chilton has a genuine shot at becoming champion in only the 2nd race of the season"

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Wirth1000 posted:

Does John Watson still do commentary? Him and Ben Edwards were a great combo.

I enjoyed them back when A1GP was shown late at night here in the states.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

From what I understand, she wasn't bad in the booth on the Fox broadcasts, but grain of salt as I didn't watch those first hand.

She was actually pretty solid, yeah. I doubt she has any interest in doing it, though.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I can't tell if i enjoy Bestwick or if I just like him because he's the only one with a reasonable personality and commentary skills in the booth.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Just realised, I hope the NBC deal had been closed already. I'd rather Indycar not get lovely terms if NBC thinks they have no competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

dsriggs posted:

Just realised, I hope the NBC deal had been closed already. I'd rather Indycar not get lovely terms if NBC thinks they have no competition.

The tweet that spilled the beans got deleted. Clearly he said something that should NOT have been said at this point, and certainly not by him.

However, if talks had gotten to the point where ABC the Network was in the process of informing its affiliates that they'd better start preparing for their last Indy 500 ratings bonanza...

I think it's already a done deal. And a good one.

ed- The internet never forgets.