Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ChaseSP posted:

Whole game should be like Eureka

Sans the elemental wheel because that would get tedious, but the constant danger and needing to solid snake around dangerous mobs and risk losing exp adds so much to the world, its no where near as brutal as FF11 but still gives you that feelling

I see you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Cythereal posted:

I think I'll continue to play what I find fun instead.

So you finally found a new game to play?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ChaseSP posted:

Whole game should be like Eureka

Sans the elemental wheel because that would get tedious, but the constant danger and needing to solid snake around dangerous mobs and risk losing exp adds so much to the world, its no where near as brutal as FF11 but still gives you that feelling

No.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You can go gently caress right off with the losing xp and levels from dying. It was a dumb loving poo poo thing back then, it's a dumb loving poo poo thing today.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waci posted:

So you finally found a new game to play?

I am enjoying FF14, occasional plot frustrations and dumb pubbies aside. I do like AST, and yes I'm crazy enough to make one my main class as I continue to play through the MSQ.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

LIke, I'm just wondering why after moving away from the FFXIV 1.0 they keep trying to pull poo poo designed like it and not understanding that most people don't want it. Diadem 3.0 and it still is bad and the only real reason to do it for a mediocre weapon.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Cythereal posted:

I am enjoying FF14, occasional plot frustrations and dumb pubbies aside. I do like AST, and yes I'm crazy enough to make one my main class as I continue to play through the MSQ.

For every dumb pubbie I run across, there are two or three adorable sprout pubbies that honestly give it their best. They're not all bad out there. :unsmith:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ChaseSP posted:

LIke, I'm just wondering why after moving away from the FFXIV 1.0 they keep trying to pull poo poo designed like it and not understanding that most people don't want it. Diadem 3.0 and it still is bad and the only real reason to do it for a mediocre weapon.

Who was the design lead behind Eureka and were the same design lead behind Diadem and if they were, why do they still have a job?

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Someway, somehow, it's all Tanka's fault.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Meiteron posted:

I mean, poo poo, Number almost sold me on the entire Eureka concept by itself whenever the summoned Garms sent the fight spiralling wildly out of control.

Number broke my brain and had me sware off Eureka due to the culling. It was a good reminder that I hate poo poo tier mechanics that exist due to "legacy".

Eve Online at least let me afk while killing NPCs ad nauseum.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Mordiceius posted:

Who was the design lead behind Eureka and were the same design lead behind Diadem and if they were, why do they still have a job?

Maybe he buys all the drinks for the team at the bar.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually it's pronounced Eureka like the show, not Eureka like the other show.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

If only Goons could organize a Healers Union to extort people who die without a group in Eureka. Pay the fee or get blacklisted.

Seems against the spirit of ff14 tho.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rhjamiz posted:

If only Goons could organize a Healers Union to extort people who die without a group in Eureka. Pay the fee or get blacklisted.

Seems against the spirit of ff14 tho.

But definitely in the spirit of FFXI. Piss enough people off in your servers community and you couldn't advance any further without bribing people to play with you.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rainuwastaken posted:

For every dumb pubbie I run across, there are two or three adorable sprout pubbies that honestly give it their best. They're not all bad out there. :unsmith:

Offering advice to sprouts and explaining dungeon mechanics and ending up with multiple commends and thanks for the help makes me feel fuzzy

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I miss GLDs in Brayflox's Longstop insisting they're DPS.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Number broke my brain and had me sware off Eureka due to the culling. It was a good reminder that I hate poo poo tier mechanics that exist due to "legacy".

Eve Online at least let me afk while killing NPCs ad nauseum.

Man that's the best part when you're trying to stay on top of the Garm and someone else pulls aggro and it walks two steps and vanishes. OH poo poo! Where's the Garm?! You have to walk out in a spiral searching for it until it loads back in.

It's annoying yes but in the long run Garms haven't yet killed an entire NM attempt for me and there are (should be) plenty of people raising the many dead bodies that build up. As long as you've gotten even a couple minutes of damage against Number you've secured the full reward so the fight getting out of hand just seems funny and exciting.

Fake Edit: It helps whenever you get a Number fight where tanks know to drag the Garms directly on top of Number too, which makes it a lot more straightforward.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Verranicus posted:

But definitely in the spirit of FFXI. Piss enough people off in your servers community and you couldn't advance any further without bribing people to play with you.

I really really miss the Bluegartr "gimp/wtf player thread" and the drama subforum, not going to lie.

On the topic of Eureka, the items are not hard to get, it's the levelling that sucks. And the items get easier to get the further you level... Not being 20 is the only thing stopping me form having gotten the max level weapon right now.

Honestly if they just messed with the EXP numbers a bit it'd be entirely palatable. Aside from all of the rewards being dead on arrival (Apparently SE are terrified of anyone being able to get ilvl360 stuff without some manner of weekly tomes/lockout I guess? Even if it's really grindy?).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I have over 478 days of playtime , not days subscribed that is hours logged. I love Final Fantasy 14 and the majority of the content released until 4.1. This recent patch Eureka is a endless zergfest grind that is just so pointless for gear.

Give us EX trials we cant beat in 4 pulls with no guide
Give us these " harder 4 man dungeons or Min i level sync challenges
Give us a real open world content not this endless mob mashers we have
Fix your normal mode raid difficulty its to easy and savage should be savage not semi- cupcake difficulity.

Remember what the players like, we love the thrill of dodging mechanics and learning, weaving in rotations in difficult situations, the crazy clutch healer or tank limit breaks the synergy and teamwork needed to bring down the realms worst foes.

We do not like Mob Mashers eureka.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Verranicus posted:

We do not like Mob Mashers eureka.

I thought your gimmick was quoting bad posts.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Rainuwastaken posted:

I had to kick a pubbie healer out of Sastasha HM last night because they had, like, i30 accessories and couldn't get past the first boss. Plus I had to deal with an awful SCH in 70DR beforehand so I was on bad-healer tilt to begin with.

I felt like an rear end afterwards, especially when they apologized right as I started the kick, so I tracked them down, said hi, and gave them 100000 gil to buy proper gear. And explained to them how to tell what can be Esuna'd off of people, which the game still doesn't tell you in the tutorials apparently.

I haven't seen someone so excited in this game, it was nice. :unsmith:

edit: also I feel better about my 32 days in game now

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 15, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

I thought your gimmick was quoting bad posts.

His gimmick is obfuscating his own bad posts behind a wall of copied and pasted worse posts from the OF.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I had to kick a pubbie healer out of Sastasha HM last night because they had, like, i30 accessories and couldn't get past the first boss. Plus I had to deal with an awful SCH in 70DR beforehand so I was on bad-healer tilt to begin with.

I felt like an rear end afterwards, especially when they apologized right as I started the kick, so I tracked them down, said hi, and gave them 100000 gil to buy proper gear. And explained to them how to tell what can be Esuna'd off of people, which the game still doesn't tell you in the tutorials apparently.

I haven't seen someone so excited in this game, it was nice. :unsmith:

edit: also I feel better about my 32 days in game now

Am I bad a person for leaving any group that has a healer with a weapon that's like 20levels below the entry level for the duty? Cause I had that trying to do ampador keep as war for the relic weapon. I just left after I realized how little they were healing.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Philonius posted:

Eureka would be cooler if it was anything except endless trash.

this, basically.

every time someone suggests an idea to improve eureka it reads like

"you know, the house is burning down, but it could really use a new set of curtains. or maybe some new paint,"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mordiceius posted:

nobuaki komoto, also known as: the director for ffxiv before yoshida was given his position to fix everything

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

That explains a lot.

I feel like we'd get cooler things if the XIV devs just told the XI fanboys "No gently caress you if you want FFXI then go play it".

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

ChaseSP posted:

Am I bad a person for leaving any group that has a healer with a weapon that's like 20levels below the entry level for the duty? Cause I had that trying to do ampador keep as war for the relic weapon. I just left after I realized how little they were healing.

Did you let them know the reason why you were leaving? Maybe they hosed up and accidentally equipped the wrong weapon for their gear set or they could just be bad. Letting them know may allow them to fix whatever they hosed up for next time and not bring down another group.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

And explained to them how to tell what can be Esuna'd off of people, which the game still doesn't tell you in the tutorials apparently.

Wait what

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Wait what

There's a small white bar under over a debuff which means you can dispell it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Oh. Well i'm p. sure that's functionally invisible on my 60%-scaled party list anyways.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And no, the game does not call any attention at all to Esuna. If no one tells you about it, it's up to you to notice in your spell window that you have role actions at all, that Esuna is an option and what it can do, and to assign it to your bar.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

And no, the game does not call any attention at all to Esuna. If no one tells you about it, it's up to you to notice in your spell window that you have role actions at all, that Esuna is an option and what it can do, and to assign it to your bar.

It says it on the tooltip for the rebuff. :shrug:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I could whine about Eureka, but instead I'll just post this music video of The Primals doing Rise

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So are 30 chains the only way to get crystals or what? Because I just spent two hours soloing in Eureka and didn't get a single crystal, or any drops at all, really. And I'm not really looking forward to grinding my way up to level 20 or whatever the gently caress the game said would be where it gets easier.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No, also don't solo Eureka.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Pussy Cartel posted:

So are 30 chains the only way to get crystals or what? Because I just spent two hours soloing in Eureka and didn't get a single crystal, or any drops at all, really. And I'm not really looking forward to grinding my way up to level 20 or whatever the gently caress the game said would be where it gets easier.

they drop more frequently as you level up, it's not just slow until you get to 20.

also don't solo in eureka.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Pussy Cartel posted:

The game doesn't explain this to you in any way, but NMs (the FATEs in Eureka) give (at least) an order of magnitude more XP and crystals, to the extent that if you're not part of a party trying to spawn the NMs (by killing mobs according to this guide) you might as well just AFK and wait for them to spawn.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 15, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
One cool trick about Eureka the game doesn't tell you is you can hit the U key to pull up your duty menu and then hit 'leave' to play better content.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

He has Spike Flail.

Eureka is... OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You can "solo" in Eureka, but it is a much worse idea than doing Eureka the "correct" way (which is also bad). I did it for maybe 20 minutes last night when my group broke up while I was about 1000 xp shy of level 5 and I didn't want to run by myself to wherever the zerg was. It works, but it's the kind of gameplay you'd have to be an actual bot to tolerate for the length of time you'd need to level up.