Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol that is very true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

veni veni veni posted:

The hotel hotel concierge in Altered Carbon bears a not so passing resemblance to PFT

Though that may be because PFT likes to style himself as a 19th century dandy and the concierge is Edgar Allen Poe.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Love was good, I think it wrapped up alright. I wonder what apatow is going to do next

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

veni veni veni posted:

Lol that is very true.

It's true because it acts as a filter and anyone who doesn't like the show quits and thus has less to say about it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

I swear, every Netflix show seems to have like one good season of content, then falls apart in season 2. I'm trying to think of exceptions to this, and am only coming up with Bojack Horseman and Narcos. House of Cards Season 2 was great, but we all know how that turned out going forward.

Love stays great and gets the best in season 3, and F is For Family stays almost as good.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Everyone watch the Frankenstein show it is extremely the poo poo and don’t spoil it cause I’m only halfway thru season 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

First episode of Frankenstien was good. Gonna keep watching. Did anyone else see the opening scene and think "oh god it's one of these cheap shows" because of how obvious it was that it was filmed in a tank, but then all of a sudden it's got ridiculously high production values and proceeds to look fantastic? Thought that was really weird.

Yep. I also thought "Oh god another extremely inaccurate fantasy period piece" but the show actually skews hard toward realism, which makes me think that naming it "The Frankenstein Chronicles" was an odd choice, regardless of how accurate or relevant said title is.

Show owns hard though and at 6 episodes per season it's an easy binge.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

So there are or are not fantasy monsters in it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Asnorban posted:

So there are or are not fantasy monsters in it?

Are not.

It's not really a spoiler to say that the main reason it's called that is because Mary Shelley is one of the main supporting characters

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

precision posted:

Are not.

It's not really a spoiler to say that the main reason it's called that is because Mary Shelley is one of the main supporting characters

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (Just finished episode 2 - it's been a busy week) I was hoping for the opposite!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (Just finished episode 2 - it's been a busy week) I was hoping for the opposite!

To be fair, I haven't watched season 2 yet

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sean Bean is in it so he has to die at some point. And then they'll circumvent that by having him come back as a Frankenstein.

It's only called Frankenstein Chronicles because it would be a spoiler to call it Sean Bean: Undead Detective.

Edit: This is not a spoiler, I've only seen the first episode.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 16, 2018

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Stop giving away spoilers guys, and yes you’re wrong about the fantasy monsters

It’s very low magic but it’s not a historical fiction or anything

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Nailed It was very fun but it was so incredibly evocative of "Clash of the Cupcakes" that I wasn't sure if the whole thing was deep satire until the second episode.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

British baking show is the best show for watching when you’re stoned and hungover and eating donuts

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Nailed It was very fun but it was so incredibly evocative of "Clash of the Cupcakes" that I wasn't sure if the whole thing was deep satire until the second episode.

Holy poo poo I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I can't believe people are recommending this. It is so obnoxious, has the cringiest, lamest writing and quips from the hosts, all the very worst of reality show Foley effects and editing techniques. It's so, so bad, so lame. Enjoyable only by the lobotomized, or their mental equivalents.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

I can't believe people are recommending this. It is so obnoxious, has the cringiest, lamest writing and quips from the hosts, all the very worst of reality show Foley effects and editing techniques. It's so, so bad, so lame. Enjoyable only by the lobotomized, or their mental equivalents.

Naw

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

regulargonzalez posted:

You just described 99% of reality TV.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's cute and funny and I wish there were more episodes

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mammal Sauce posted:

You just described 99% of reality TV.

that's the problem

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Nailed It has self-awareness though, that's what makes it charming. Nicole knows she's being obnoxious, she's doing like a wink wink hey look I'm being a reality show host performance and I think it's great.

I do wish they'd try a little harder to find proper contestants though. Not like, actual expert bakers of course, but maybe people who do consider themselves good at home baking instead of complete newbies who don't know the basics. It's more fun to see people fail who actually wanted to succeed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

regulargonzalez posted:

Maybe get over yourself, and let people like what they like? Not everything people watch is high brow all the time. Sometimes it's fun to put on some mindless entertainment, especially while multitasking.

flatluigi posted:

It's cute and funny and I wish there were more episodes

Yeah, I can't believe it was only 6 episodes. They must have knocked out season one in just a week or so.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nihonniboku posted:

Maybe get over yourself, and let people like what they like? Not everything people watch is high brow all the time. Sometimes it's fun to put on some mindless entertainment, especially while multitasking.

Yeah, I can't believe it was only 6 episodes. They must have knocked out season one in just a week or so.

Probably less, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they cranked out all 6 episodes in a single day, or maybe two days.

Single day seems unlikely I guess just because of how long the challenges take, but most of them were only like 1 hour or 2 hours at most right?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I threw on Wind River today after it popped up on Netflix, assuming it was some Rotten Tomato 15%'er that I could keep in a tab while I did other stuff... :stare: holy poo poo :stare: is all I have to say.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Not a fan of grumpy cat, but it looks interesting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I threw on Wind River today after it popped up on Netflix, assuming it was some Rotten Tomato 15%'er that I could keep in a tab while I did other stuff... :stare: holy poo poo :stare: is all I have to say.
I mean, I didn't think it was very good. It pretty much is a very generic rear end story that belongs in grocery store/airport fiction.

Philthy posted:

The Outsider was a pleasant surprise on Netflix. Yakuza flick set in the 1950s. Pretty laid back, great atmosphere.
It's getting savaged in the Internet movie review space but most of those people suck at their jobs so I'm willing to give it a shot. Who knows how much of it is just people with Jared Leto hate complexes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I mean, I didn't think it was very good. It pretty much is a very generic rear end story that belongs in grocery store/airport fiction.

I can see the comparison, but I think it's better than you've been giving it credit for personally. it definitely has the vibe of a lifetime original movie (although it's shot and acted very well for the most part) but to me it succeeded with it's execution and it's way more bleak and brutal than you'd expect.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No Lifetime movie is 95% male characters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I can see the comparison, but I think it's better than you've been giving it credit for personally. it definitely has the vibe of a lifetime original movie (although it's shot and acted very well for the most part) but to me it succeeded with it's execution and it's way more bleak and brutal than you'd expect.

Yea I think it didn't fully live up to it's potential but I still enjoyed it and would be interested in checking out what Sheridan does next. It had a hell of a climax, extremely tense and brutally realistic.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Why does everyone in Person of Interest make leg shots only? And why do these leg shots instantly knock out the recipient? And why do none of the suspects ever seem to mention Mr. Reese working with Detective Carter after they're arrested and presumably questioned? At this point dude has been involved in a couple of dozen shootings with Detective Carter but apparently the whole NYPD is on "not my job" mode.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 16, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm definitely being overly harsh, but considering I was introduced to it as some sort of loose trilogy (cuz of Sheridan) containing Hell or High Water and Sicario (and it doesn't even slightly touch those films' coattails) I probably went into it expecting much.
Then you've got these very by the book (a bad grocery store novel) characters, hapless BIG CITY female FBI agent who knows nothing about tracking or binoculars apparently, gruff willing-to-do-the-ugly-things nature man, and then HORRIFYING BRUTALITY that the quality of the film just couldn't justify for me if that makes any sense.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I loved Gil Birmingham in Wind River. I thought his performance was wonderfully understated and it made the whole thing work for me even though he's on screen for like 10 minutes. I could seriously watch his two scenes over and over.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Philthy posted:

The Outsider was a pleasant surprise on Netflix. Yakuza flick set in the 1950s. Pretty laid back, great atmosphere.

I thought it was straight to DVD level crap with nothing memorable or stylish.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Why does everyone in Person of Interest make leg shots only?

Because they're better than the bad guys or something. It makes even less sense as time goes on and stakes get higher.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought the Outsider was pretty dull, myself.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm loving The Outsider right now, but I am pretty baked.

It's a pretty quiet slower paced movie, might not be for everyone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Gift went up on Netflix and totally owns if you're a fan of movies like Creep. Stars Joel Edgerton and Jason Bateman.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

precision posted:

The Gift went up on Netflix and totally owns if you're a fan of movies like Creep. Stars Joel Edgerton and Jason Bateman.

At first I thought this was the Keanu Reeves movie from like 2000 and got excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
300 is still dope after all these years.