Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wasn't really talking about Mal though, there's no argument from me that Firefly has aged into unwatchable territory. I was just replying to the latest post on the topic, I'm sorry I realize it might be confusing.

Firefly didn't age into unwatchable territory, it was always garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jedit posted:

Firefly didn't age into unwatchable territory, it was always garbage.

Still super weird and bad that they had no Asian major characters in the explicitly Chinese-influenced setting.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I still twitch when someone claims that the Chinese influences made the show prescient. Sure, just like all of the Japanese influences in Eighties sci-fi were prophetic too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bieeanshee posted:

I still twitch when someone claims that the Chinese influences made the show prescient. Sure, just like all of the Japanese influences in Eighties sci-fi were prophetic too.

Especially because it's only in Firefly because there was Taoist stuff in Outlaw Star.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Especially because it's only in Firefly because there was Taoist stuff in Outlaw Star.

Still boggles my mind that Ork ships in 40k aren't all grappler ships.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

LuiCypher posted:

The ships in 40k are way too big for that.

Or are they? Piledrives an imperial ship of the line into a hive world destroying the entire planet in an instant.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DalaranJ posted:

Or are they? Piledrives an imperial ship of the line into a hive world destroying the entire planet in an instant.
:getin:
The scene in rogue one but with a pair of arms attached to the hammerhead ship

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So what happens in Firefly or its backstory that is the apologia? I've never seen it and Wikipedia isn't helping.

FWIW, I am more familiar with the general history of Confederate apologia but this is the first I've heard about any connection to Firefly. Pretty much all I'd encountered before now was that apparently the setting was Space Western with supposed Chinese influences despite everyone being white. (And the fact that the fandom could be quite rabid.)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

:getin:
The scene in rogue one but with a pair of arms attached to the hammerhead ship

The arms are throwing the 'up yours' sign.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wasn't really talking about Mal though, there's no argument from me that Firefly has aged into unwatchable territory. I was just replying to the latest post on the topic, I'm sorry I realize it might be confusing.

That's true. I mean, even if you wanted to get past that (for whatever unknowable reason) there's still Adam Baldwin Adam Baldwin-ing all over the place.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

So what happens in Firefly or its backstory that is the apologia? I've never seen it and Wikipedia isn't helping.

FWIW, I am more familiar with the general history of Confederate apologia but this is the first I've heard about any connection to Firefly. Pretty much all I'd encountered before now was that apparently the setting was Space Western with supposed Chinese influences despite everyone being white. (And the fact that the fandom could be quite rabid.)

The show draws very obvious parallels between the Independents and the Confederacy and between the Alliance and the Union, because it's milking existing tropes from Westerns actually set in the Old West, and never stops to consider how portraying the Confederacy analogue as the heroic rebels fighting for freedom from oppressive Big Federal Government might be a problem.

The issue isn't that the Independents are the good guys and the Alliance are the bad guys, it's that because the Good Confederate Veteran is a classic Western trope and the show just blindly copies it for Mal, it ends up portraying the Confederacy analogue as the good guys.

Firefly isn't Confederate apologia, it's just cargo-culting Confederate apologia because Joss Whedon is an idiot.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 16, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The backstory is confederate (without slavery) rural vs Nazis.

It IS a noble lost cause trope, but it's a stretch to get butthurt about. Like what if the South WASNT poo poo?

At the same time I understand finding infuriating when real life people buy into the lost cause rhetoric so I get it. gently caress your stars and bars. It's not heritage.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DalaranJ posted:

Eh, we're talking about a race where bigger is always better, so the biggest ship with the biggest arms to throw around other big ships should be objectively The Best Ship. Bonus points if it has an automated gob to chomp ships it's grappling.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The reason "confederate (without slavery) rural vs Nazis" pisses people off is because it's basically "rural nazis (without holocaust, so they're good) vs actually the north was the real nazis."

Which is an uncharitable reading, perhaps, but that's what you get when you grab a bunch of tropes and then pretend they were created ex nihilo.

also why the gently caress did GW not put arms on the ork kroozers? they had big mouths and almost teeth but that poo poo didn't even open, what was the point?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Bombadilillo posted:

It IS a noble lost cause trope, but it's a stretch to get butthurt about. Like what if the South WASNT poo poo?

this is dumb, not just because every post that uses "butthurt" is dumb but because making the obvious union stand-ins into nazis and mostly* erasing slavery from the confederate stand-ins is exactly the problem

*it's actually worse than this, because slavery is mentioned as going on in the outer planets, but in a way that precisely matches how lost causers like to think about american slavery

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LuiCypher posted:

At least the Orks have ships with guns way bigger than the ship it's mounted on so if the gun fires once it destroys the ship

DalaranJ posted:

World Eater ships have Ursus Claws, massive harpoons on giant chains that they fire into enemy ships so they can pull them closer and blast them with broadsides at point blank range.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bombadilillo posted:

At the same time I understand finding infuriating when real life people buy into the lost cause rhetoric so I get it. gently caress your stars and bars. It's not heritage.

Really? That's never how I understood it when I watched it, I really don't get how that's a logical conclusion? To me it was a neo-corporate fascist takeover of various independent colonies, it never crossed my mind that it had anything to do with the USA, north or south. Not even them term rural.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Really? That's never how I understood it when I watched it, I really don't get how that's a logical conclusion? To me it was a neo-corporate fascist takeover of various independent colonies, it never crossed my mind that it had anything to do with the USA, north or south. Not even them term rural.

They are the farming planet in the outer rim. That's where Rural came from. I too don't get the DIRECT parralels to union confederate that others ITT got. The Fed's are in drat SS in space uniforms.

But I agree with them that Reynolds whole character trope is the noble in defeat Lost Cause hero achitype.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well for one, the holiday to celebrate the end of the space civil war is called Unification Day and Mal says at least once We will Rise Again.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

It doesn’t help that Mal is identified as a Brownshirt, er coat. I get that it’s not intentional and most people never make that connection—but it’s still weird to hear. Has there ever been a color + garment identifier in history that hasn’t been sinister?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

The Malthusian posted:

It doesn’t help that Mal is identified as a Brownshirt, er coat. I get that it’s not intentional and most people never make that connection—but it’s still weird to hear. Has there ever been a color + garment identifier in history that hasn’t been sinister?

The Red Hat Society, though that largely depends on your views of middle age+ women.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The concept of the Federal Government being fascist dictators is literally the core of real life Lost Cause ideology. That and the racism.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mr. Maltose posted:

The concept of the Federal Government being fascist dictators is literally the core of real life Lost Cause ideology.

It was also the core of the resistance movement in Nazi Germany.

I seriously think you Americans are projecting your issues way too much on the rest of the world.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

NTRabbit posted:

I seriously think you Americans are projecting your issues way too much on the rest of the world.

pretty sure we are talking about a tv show made by americans, based on an explicitly american genre and full of american setting references?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I'm European. Firefly is an American TV show.

e; maybe just admit that you're ignorant of the show's baggage, instead of trying to claim to people who aren't ignorant that no, they're wrong.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 16, 2018

jadarx
May 25, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

There's a scene in one of the Beast Rises novels where ork ships cut open troop transports with giant buzzsaw arms and vent all the soldiers into space.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NTRabbit posted:

How are you this loving dense?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

FMguru posted:

How are you this loving dense?

Not being an American, I guess I don't see 'the South' in every shadow

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man, remember two pages ago when this was about conquistadors? Crazy times.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

NTRabbit posted:

What do you think the origin of the term "Western" is? It's not West London.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NTRabbit posted:

this post loving rules

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

I really wish that conquistador game was just about Mexico natives monster- huntering dragons without Europeans in it at all.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jadarx posted:

There's a scene in one of the Beast Rises novels where ork ships cut open troop transports with giant buzzsaw arms and vent all the soldiers into space.

There was also a Death Star shaped like a giant ork head that screamed at planets until they exploded.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Lol. My dude. The Southern racist underbelly is literally rising again. It's not in shadows. It's called the alt-right and it's loving scary how overt it is and defended by the biggest news network.

It is in the forefront of the American mind.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

NTRabbit posted:

Right, so you haven't been marinating in it for the past 160 years, like those of us in the US. It isn't like anyone is saying everything is evil confederacy metaphors - just Deadlands and Firefly, two Western-genre properties made in the US that contain confederate apologia, which is easily recognizable when you live in a society that has confederate apologia hanging from our fuckin city halls and police stations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

you may not be an american by birth but you sure have a very american way of dealing with things you don't understand

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The Malthusian posted:

White Hat doesn't have sinister connotations.

Um... college football has red/gray/blue/green shirt as an identifier for various levels of student athlete, but given how lovely that is, I'm not sure it counts

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I wouldn't say that Red Shirt's connotation is necessarily sinister, as such.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's only sinister if you're the one in the red shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Maltose posted:

I dunno it feels like after a point the captains know what's gonna happen but still send the red shirts to go subdue the raging Gorn or whatever