Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

turns out manufacturing is a mature process that doesn't take well to "disruption"

turns out the auto industry kind of figured how to streamline the everliving gently caress out of the assembly line process in some 100 odd years

go figure

i think tesla fanboys literally think the assembly line today looks like the day the first model t rolled off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no good product endorsement starts with "as a father,"

i don't know whether to blame patriarchy for the success of "as a mother," pitches, or blame patriarchy for robbing "as a father" of any meaning but earning money, and trying not to waste it

it's cool that having children is only seen as being detrimental to your career if you're a woman

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the funniest thing is that based on past history and reporter investigations you KNOW tesla management hired smart and capable line people, listened carefully to their wisdom and experience, and then ignored it (and fired them for wanting to unionize)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

the funniest thing is that based on past history and reporter investigations you KNOW tesla management hired smart and capable line people,

extremely questionable seeing as how they famously pay below market and recruit based on fanboyism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i think tesla fanboys literally think the assembly line today looks like the day the first model t rolled off it.

tbf, from the reports it sounds like the tesla model 3 line may be exactly this

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

tbf, from the reports it sounds like the tesla model 3 line may be exactly this

:thurman:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Personally I just wish they'd interview more men the way that they do women.

So, Cdr. Hadfield, you've been an astronaut for over twenty years. Was that difficult for your marriage?

The astronaut training is long and rigorous -- do you regret not having children when you were younger?

You were in space for over 6 months -- what are top three gotta-have makeup products for that kind of journey?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

whose shirts do you wear?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's cool that having children is only seen as being detrimental to your career if you're a woman

it is fun to think through the consquences

having children improves your career prospects as a man, because your employer believes they now have greater control over you -- the need to support your family will outweigh any here-and-now issues with the job. no "real man" would ever care about actually seeing his family, right?

having children implodes your career prospects as a woman because... you might quit to just, not have a job? because you're a baby making machine with no other goals or needs

edit: gender norms are a prison

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 16, 2018

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Plus even if you don't have them employers are quietly scared if they hire women they'll leave after a few months to have a kid

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ADINSX posted:

whose shirts do you wear?

give us a twirl

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ADINSX posted:

Plus even if you don't have them employers are quietly scared if they hire women they'll leave after a few months to have a kid

my wife has been asked about this point blank in interviews

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Well then I guess sometimes not so quietly if they're morons

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am definitely aging out of the band in which it is "normal" to not have children at home, and i definitely catch some poo poo about it in my personal and working lives....

but it's not 1/10th as much poo poo as the wife catches

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

We're SpareRoom, the roommate site you can trust. Finding the right people to live with can feel like an impossible task - we're here to make it simpler, quicker and safer to help you find the perfect roommates.

Living with the right people beats living on your own any day. When you live with the right people, you don't just share your space - you share your life.

They become more than your roommates, more than the people ahead of you in the queue for the bathroom. They're your friends.

SpareRoom is all about helping you find those people. The people who make sharing amazing.

SpareRoom is the brainchild of Rupert Hunt. Rupert is an unlikely tech entrepreneur. He lives in a 300-year-old house in London's East End with no TV and no microwave.

We opened our doors in the UK in 2004. That makes us ancient in web years - older than Twitter and older than Instagram.

from here

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

fishmech posted:

ad company exec: hey you know what the kids want these days? reminders of domestic abuse scandals from 5 years ago for no reason at all

KidDynamite posted:

I looked it up just because it’s one of those “yeah that totally happened a few years ago” thing and that incident occurred in 2009.

fishmech posted:

itanium.png

i was absolutely certain this graph was a response showing that while the event occurred nine years ago fishmech was technically correct by saying five

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I remember a really capable co worker was leaving to be a stay at home dad and management tried to guilt trip him into staying, suggesting it would ruin his career, that it wouldn't work out sort of implying that the man should be the one working.

He told them if you pay me what my wife makes (A chemical engineer with Shell iirc) then they'll think about it. I thought it was a really pro move and I hope its working out for them.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 16, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ADINSX posted:

I remember a really capable co worker was leaving to be a stay at home dad and management tried to guilt trip him into staying, suggesting it would ruin his career, that it wouldn't work out sort of implying that the man should be the one working.

it definitely will ruin his career

not because he's a man, but because any years out of the workforce to take care of children are career-destroying

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

We're SpareRoom, the roommate site you can trust. Finding the right people to live with can feel like an impossible task - we're here to make it simpler, quicker and safer to help you find the perfect roommates.

Living with the right people beats living on your own any day. When you live with the right people, you don't just share your space - you share your life.

They become more than your roommates, more than the people ahead of you in the queue for the bathroom. They're your friends.

SpareRoom is all about helping you find those people. The people who make sharing amazing.

SpareRoom is the brainchild of Rupert Hunt. Rupert is an unlikely tech entrepreneur. He lives in a 300-year-old house in London's East End with no TV and no microwave.

We opened our doors in the UK in 2004. That makes us ancient in web years - older than Twitter and older than Instagram.

from here

what an interesting way to justify discriminating against potential roomers because they just happen to have a different raceDNA profile

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

i was absolutely certain this graph was a response showing that while the event occurred nine years ago fishmech was technically correct by saying five

yeah it tripped me up too lol

sounds like some fun fresh sciencey ways to get around equal housing laws

"no we're not denying all the black people who apply because we're racist, we just think they're genetically inferior incompatible"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

from here

oh for fucks sake.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the two rows of weird meaningless icons on the box for some reason

specifically i'm the happy melting cloud :yayclod:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
look we're not actually discriminating against you for being black we're just not interested in anyone who potentially could carry sickle cell genes ok

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

2bd 1ba open to CR4KR gene variants

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it definitely will ruin his career

not because he's a man, but because any years out of the workforce to take care of children are career-destroying

can confirm :smith:

also when my sister filed paperwork for maternity leave the company "lost" all of it and told her tough poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Welcome to SpareRoom! we can see from your personalized dna report that your superior blood clarity qualifies you for our UberUsers club!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Our company announced that it will start offering paid maternity leave (after the only woman in the office had a child and was back from her unpaid leave) during a meeting and was met with silence... HR seemed upset that no one cared.

I personally thought it was already offered, since its a tech company in the year 2018 in Seattle...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
3 bedroom looking for roommate. must provided references, proof of income, skull contour map

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

fishmech posted:

itanium.png

new missile command look boring as poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of the professors here had a baby a few years back and we were sitting in a meeting while she was on leave and the everyone was talking about how great it was that she gets 30 whole days off, full pay

I blurted out "that's it??" without thinking

They all looked a little pissy and said "why, what is it in Canada?"

"Like...forty weeks at half pay, or something like that?"

Dead silence for a seemingly interminable time and then finally one said, very bitterly, "well, we can't all be Canadian"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

One of the professors here had a baby a few years back and we were sitting in a meeting while she was on leave and the everyone was talking about how great it was that she gets 30 whole days off, full pay

I blurted out "that's it??" without thinking

They all looked a little pissy and said "why, what is it in Canada?"

"Like...forty weeks at half pay, or something like that?"

Dead silence for a seemingly interminable time and then finally one said, very bitterly, "well, we can't all be Canadian"

lmfao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

haveblue posted:

3 bedroom looking for roommate. must provided references, proof of income, skull contour map

sloping criminal brow? pass.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my wife has been asked about this point blank in interviews

she should show them your posts and she’d never get asked again

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

sloping criminal brow? pass.
you have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

FMguru posted:

you have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter

wow. rude.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am definitely aging out of the band in which it is "normal" to not have children at home, and i definitely catch some poo poo about it in my personal and working lives....

but it's not 1/10th as much poo poo as the wife catches

I'm 37 and my upstate New York chud aunt won't shut the gently caress up about me having kids. Everything I talk to her about turns into asking when we're having kids.

Her husband drives a pickup truck with airbrushed deer on it and wears sleeveless vests and told my little brother "don't have kids early, but don't be a human being neither."

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

sounds like your uncle needs a dictionary

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's definitely some sage advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm 37 and my upstate New York chud aunt won't shut the gently caress up about me having kids. Everything I talk to her about turns into asking when we're having kids.

Her husband drives a pickup truck with airbrushed deer on it and wears sleeveless vests and told my little brother "don't have kids early, but don't be a human being neither."

ah, memories of home