Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

Jesus, that one person who stayed on at 47 seconds and just got loving whipped into the mass of broken chairs.

Holy poo poo, I didn't even see him :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Huh, I guess they don't always land on their feet

Lol thats the title of the imgur post you big phony.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I guess the lift wanted to show that it can shred too.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Trabant posted:

Was about to say the same thing... RIP that person.

It's like one of those life lessons.

When 50 people are screaming for you to jump, maybe you should jump.

The other lesson is that I've NEVER trusted those things, as well as the train car style ones, and I was right to do so.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ak Gara posted:

It's like one of those life lessons.

When 50 people are screaming for you to jump, maybe you should jump.

The other lesson is that I've NEVER trusted those things, as well as the train car style ones, and I was right to do so.
Unfortunately I think it's pretty easy to freeze in panic... when you're going that fast you WANT to hold on to something that seems solid relative to you instead of jump, and you don't have much time to think about it before you're whipped into a mass of broken chairs and twisted metal.

I feel a little sick after watching that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When I was younger and just learning how to ski/snowboard I had to fight myself from freezing up to just get off a ski lift that was operating normally because I was terrible at it. Even as a teenager who learned to do it properly and only occasionally plant my face/butt into snow that dread from being a kid was always somewhere in my brain. Can't tell at all the age of that person but, especially if its a younger person, freezing is just something that happens in bad situations no matter what people are yelling at you (yelling can even hurt the situation).

Unfortunately panic is a response that didn't have ski lifts in mind.

Edit: What's a train style ski lift? Like a gondola?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm the spilled diesel fuel and hydraulic fluid that won't ever ever get cleaned up properly.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcPTcQpkso4

edit: dammit I'm slow

Over There fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 16, 2018

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:piss: :stare:

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4WPSZojtyE

It's long, but it's rad as hell.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

8 injuries but no deaths luckily

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Apparently one of the crane operators was overheard saying that they accidentally dropped a "Big Blue Box" on the bridge, causing the collapse.
:10bux: says they try to pin this entirely on that crane operator, but that doesn't track in my head.

I mean, a full bluesafe would basically be a small wrecking ball, but a properly built bridge would be able take that hit without failing completely.
Just look at the early years of 11'8"; taking hits from a direction it was never meant to be stressed from like a champ.

This span could just barely handle it's own weight without support. As if it was only strong enough to stay in place while the cables were being attached.
It was basically a deadfall trap waiting for a trigger.

I'm not an engineer of any kind though.
Could some edumicated goons weigh in on this?

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 16, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Moto42 posted:

:10bux: says they try to pin this entirely on that crane operator, but that doesn't track in my head.

I mean, a full bluesafe would basically be a small wrecking ball, but a properly built bridge would be able take that hit without failing completely.
Just look at the early years of 11'8"; taking hits from a direction it was never meant to be stressed from like a champ.

This span could just barely handle it's own weight without support. It was basically a deadfall trap waiting for a trigger.

The bridge wasn't scheduled to open until 2019 so I think it was far from the point of being properly built.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Yea, that's what I was getting around to.
No-one should have been going under/over this thing.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioC61QW7SHQ

AVE guesses that it's an issue with pretensioning and the fact the centre support wasn't there or the installation fixtures were proper hosed.

That being said - was this open to the public?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Reminded me of this garbage GIF I made aeons ago: Slow & The Tedious - Dozer Drift

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Moto42 posted:

Well, how did the box fall? If the crane was still standing and the rigging broke and dropped the box, that's the fault of the rigger(s) who used improper or deteriorated rigging for the load. If he did something like slam the load onto the bridge, that's either his fault or mechanical failure.

Anyone know what the crane was?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slotducks posted:

no, construction wasn't completed yet. they had just installed a whole prefab span which is a technique that's been used dozens of times elsewhere but something went wrong here

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Slotducks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioC61QW7SHQ

AVE guesses that it's an issue with pretensioning and the fact the centre support wasn't there or the installation fixtures were proper hosed.

Structural engineer checking in.

Typical cable-stayed bridges like this have a standard construction procedure:

1) Build the tower.
2) Build the road deck outward from the tower, supported by cables from the tower like this:

3) Once everything is supported by the tower, you are pretty much done.

Here, though, they didn't want to do 2) so they don't close the road very long, instead designing the deck to support itself before the tower/cables are constructed. But the span without cable support is far weaker in bending than a purpose-built beam-type bridge.

My working theory is that as a rush job on a tight budget, the engineer sharpened his pencil and designed the span with very small safety factors during construction. Maybe they forgot a construction live load, or there is some flaw in the prefab deck, but the video showing the collapse shows a fair number of workers on the span where it failed. The engineer likely never thought to consider people/materials being staged on the span.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 16, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blindeye posted:

My working theory is that as a rush job on a tight budget, the engineer sharpened his pencil and designed the span with very small safety factors during construction. Maybe they forgot a construction live load, or there is some flaw in the prefab deck, but the video showing the collapse shows a fair number of workers on the span where it failed. The engineer likely never thought to consider people/materials being staged on the span.

This was my best guess too. Lots of rumours going around but I've heard a few people from various sources mention that they had just recently put some material delivery or some live load on the bridge before it collapsed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

See what I'm really waiting to hear is if we get an ID on that crane operator, because we do a lot of certification down in Miami and there's one particular training institute there that we hear bad stuff about. I want to know:

1. Is this one of our guys

2. Did he got through this trainer

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

It's absolutely fascinating how quickly I've seen the engineering community do a really in depth look at a structural failure.

Basically every Engineer I've talked to the past couple days brought it up rather quickly unprompted.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Slotducks posted:

It's absolutely fascinating how quickly I've seen the engineering community do a really in depth look at a structural failure.

Basically every Engineer I've talked to the past couple days brought it up rather quickly unprompted.

We all get very excited/outraged about engineering failures on a brand new structure. Buildings fall down far less often than most other things we use, and the consequences are grave.

Edit: I don't really agree with the Armchair Engineering assessment. He gets a lot of details wrong:

- Prestressed concrete tendons are intentionally not bonded to the concrete, that's what rebar is for. Not sure why he mentioned bond.

- The bridge didn't fail at center span.

Now, that doesn't make construction QA not a potential cause, but he gave a very layman's description of concrete behavior.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 16, 2018

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Kibayasu posted:

When I was younger and just learning how to ski/snowboard I had to fight myself from freezing up to just get off a ski lift that was operating normally because I was terrible at it. Even as a teenager who learned to do it properly and only occasionally plant my face/butt into snow that dread from being a kid was always somewhere in my brain. Can't tell at all the age of that person but, especially if its a younger person, freezing is just something that happens in bad situations no matter what people are yelling at you (yelling can even hurt the situation).

Unfortunately panic is a response that didn't have ski lifts in mind.

Edit: What's a train style ski lift? Like a gondola?

Gondola lift thing, yeah.

They're probably the same design-wise as a ski lift, and I might be wrong but in my mind, a ski lift follows the ground all the way up the mountain using multiple support columns so you're only really as high as the top of the support column.

But these:

I'm like "Oh I guess I'm walking up a mountain today"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

Gondola lift thing, yeah.

They're probably the same design-wise as a ski lift, and I might be wrong but in my mind, a ski lift follows the ground all the way up the mountain using multiple support columns so you're only really as high as the top of the support column.

But these:

I'm like "Oh I guess I'm walking up a mountain today"

Second category is a lot safer tho.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spankmeister posted:

Except when the flyboys show up

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

ExecuDork posted:

That is super cool! Any chance any of that is online somewhere?

I need to get it digitized at some point, and when I do I'll stick it on YouTube.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spankmeister posted:

Not always!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woDyKekeTTg

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Slotducks posted:

It was open to the public, yes.

Underneath it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nerses IV posted:

At least that answered the age-old question

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of which:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0neNZ3CmbGM

Edit: kind of :nms:, don't know if anybody actually got killed on that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vargatron posted:

Speaking of which:

You've got that right.

Check the rest of the page

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sorry for the doublepost :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
People keep pointing out the lone rider getting slammed into the twisted pile of chairs, but before that, watch the chair with four people still on it. One dude gets thrown OFF TO THE SIDE like, 20 goddamn feet.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm telling you any time I watch a vid where there's a Russian dude yelling blyat I know things are about to get really hosed up.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Vargatron posted:

Sorry for the doublepost :(

Triple post, I missed the first one as well.

It's just that crazy that we all rushed to this thread with it!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Vargatron posted:

Sorry for the doubletriplepost :(

FTFY

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Wasabi the J posted:

People keep pointing out the lone rider getting slammed into the twisted pile of chairs, but before that, watch the chair with four people still on it. One dude gets thrown OFF TO THE SIDE like, 20 goddamn feet.

Yea but to land in the snow

Also i am in awe of the level of engineering, normally it costs a ton of money to upgrade a chairlift to be a detachable quad, this is some serious cost-saving

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nerses IV posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/04/world/20-die-in-italy-as-us-jet-cuts-a-ski-lift-cable.html

USMC ooh rah

Edit: here's a part of the story I didn't remember

quote:

The lawyer representing a U.S. Marine officer being investigated in a cable car accident was beaten to death outside her office in what appears to be an unrelated case.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9803/06/italy.cablecar/index.html

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

quote:

Many people say the military planes even play games by actually passing under the cables of the ski lifts,'' said Mr. Andreotti, who was among officials who arrived here this afternoon

lol that seems a little risky but what do i know

also, calling flying under a ski lift cable in a jet at 500mph "Passing Under" is the understatement of that year.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 16, 2018