Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Harlock posted:

Thanos as Homer dot jpg

preeeetty much

like, people have been laughing at Thanos for so long that I'm shocked nobody at Marvel went "hey maybe we should tone down the ball-chin a bit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tony turning into loving rocket man was goddamn weird. His suit is like Samus from Metroid now - just morphing his body?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Tony turning into loving rocket man was goddamn weird. His suit is like Samus from Metroid now - just morphing his body?

Yeah, I had to watch that a few times, saying, "Where the gently caress did the giant rocket come from?"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Avengers films always suck so it's unsurprising. Marvel crossover comics also usually suck, ie Ultimatum

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Not a single shot of Ant Man. I wonder how that plays out. Thanos doesn't even sound convinced by his own motivations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

In the eyes of nerds, The Avengers is the acceptable Ready Player One

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Thanos looks like he's been in the pool for too long, but, like, just his chin. Just lying down on the edge of a pool with just his chin soaking in chlorinated water.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

This Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite story DLC seems a bit uneven

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

In the eyes of nerds, The Avengers is the acceptable Ready Player One

Basically, yeah. That's AntMan; that's Bucky; that's etc.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bushisms.txt posted:

Thanos doesn't even sound convinced by his own motivations.

It is a funny pitch, though. He's the ultimate centrist: I'll wipe out half of humanity, but it's okay. The other half will survive. Wow.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

TyrantWD posted:

Tickets went insanely fast. I was refreshing like a madman 30 minutes ago and there were 2 seats left for Thursday night.

A large cinema chain in the UK has dropped prices in a lot (but not all, screw you London), of cinemas down to £5 a ticket.

My city also has a 'premium experience' cinema where tickets are £13.5 per ticket (So nearly $20 a ticket).

The midnight showing at the 'premium' place has half gone already.

Weirdly despite being twice the size, and almost 1/3rd the price, the £5 ticket cinema has sold less pre-orders for that. Though its Thurs/Fri evening screenings are nearly gone.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It's crazy the MCU villain list is currently topped by a guy who was absolutely correct but also absolutely evil in a one off origin tale. Thanos can't even be convinced to go for wholesale genocide.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It is a funny pitch, though. He's the ultimate centrist: I'll wipe out half of humanity, but it's okay. The other half will survive. Wow.

As long as he kills the correct half of humanity then it's OK!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Jimbot posted:

As long as he kills the correct half of humanity then it's OK!

Wasn't that the plan in Black Panther too?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dublish posted:

Wasn't that the plan in Black Panther too?

Well no, not really, it's more akin to the good guy's plan in Captain America 2, except it goes a little further because Killmonger identifies that the issue is hegemonic oppression, and not merely Nazis at the levers. In this trailer, Thanos' plan, actually stated, is to "balance the universe", whatever that could mean.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If Thanos wins does he then stick around and murder one old person for each baby born?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
He's never getting lady death's digits if he half asses killing the universe. Low energy, SAD!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

If Thanos wins does he then stick around and murder one old person for each baby born?

More specifically, when does his "half" calculation kick in or end? Is it like the Achilles and the tortoise thing where he just keeps halving until its down to one dude and then he cuts that guy in half (then quarters, then eighths, etc)? Is it one of those "there are more living people than have ever died" things where he just wants the dead humans to equal the living ones, and he's like starting fertility clinics if the balance swings too much toward dead people? Does he just halve things ever 100 years, or when it reaches a certain point?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Its depended on how many meow meow beenz he gets.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I can't wait for the post-release write-ups about how now Thanos actually represents Trump/political centrism or some poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay, I hate to compliment Joss Whedon but dude is handsome compared to Thanos. Thanos looks like Bruce Willis just got done with a meth bender and dyed himself purple.

bushisms.txt posted:

Not a single shot of Ant Man. I wonder how that plays out. Thanos doesn't even sound convinced by his own motivations.

Hopefully he's not in it at all.

But then over the credits instead of teasers it's a montage of every action scene in the movie but zooming in at key points to show Ant-Man turning the tide.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

More specifically, when does his "half" calculation kick in or end? Is it like the Achilles and the tortoise thing where he just keeps halving until its down to one dude and then he cuts that guy in half (then quarters, then eighths, etc)? Is it one of those "there are more living people than have ever died" things where he just wants the dead humans to equal the living ones, and he's like starting fertility clinics if the balance swings too much toward dead people? Does he just halve things ever 100 years, or when it reaches a certain point?

Well, if the trailer is any indication it will involve snapping fingers. I assume Thanos and Star Lord will have some kind of West Side Story-like dance-fight.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Hopefully he's not in it at all.

But then over the credits instead of teasers it's a montage of every action scene in the movie but zooming in at key points to show Ant-Man turning the tide.

That's probably too clever for these movies.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

All the shots they keep showing of the fight near or at Wakanda remind of The Naboo Shield battle scene from The Phantom Menace.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Vintersorg posted:

The music covers up the non-stop screaming as his lower legs are turned to pulp as his suit reforms.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

K. Waste posted:

I can't wait for the post-release write-ups about how now Thanos actually represents Trump/political centrism or some poo poo.

https://twitter.com/jmychi/status/974651046265057280?s=21

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

All the shots they keep showing of the fight near or at Wakanda remind of The Naboo Shield battle scene from The Phantom Menace.

They're keeping it true to Black Panther.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Jimbot posted:

That's probably too clever for these movies.

Wasn't that pitched for Ant-Man 1?

And based on the trailer for Ant-Man and the wasp, i foresee a severe step down in action choreography and ideas.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If they kill off Morena Baccarrin then her evil alt timeline self should turn out to be Apocalypse and Deadpool has to stop Cable from killing her and then redeem her through the power of love and in the mean time can have temptation by Domino and they all become friends in the end and Deadpool also saves his buddy Cable from going deep end. Happy like the first movie.

That’s my hot take.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Thanos looks fake as hell. It's not just the purple skin - Guardians did a great job making people with neon-colored skin look cool and realistic. Not sure why Thanos's look is so much less effective.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If you can snap your fingers and reshape reality and have anything why does the population of a planet you've never been to matter? Where's the hot skeleton babes?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

If you can snap your fingers and reshape reality and have anything why does the population of a planet you've never been to matter? Where's the hot skeleton babes?

He wants to take out half of the population of the entire universe. That just includes Earth. He's coming to Earth because that's where some of the stones he needs are.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What benefit does refinancing the population of the universe hold for our large purple friend?

Serf
May 5, 2011

the whole "courting Death" thing was one of my favorite things from the comic because it was so cool and weird. they even teased it in the first avengers movie. sucks that they apparently dropped it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Serf posted:

the whole "courting Death" thing was one of my favorite things from the comic because it was so cool and weird. they even teased it in the first avengers movie. sucks that they apparently dropped it

I always took the "to court death" thing as being the usual meaning of that - i.e. to seriously risk dying.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

What benefit does refinancing the population of the universe hold for our large purple friend?

in the comics its because he thinks that if he kills enough people then the personification of death will finally gently caress him. thats not a joke it's the literal plot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I always took the "to court death" thing as being the usual meaning of that - i.e. to seriously risk dying.

Right, that's the joke. The advisor in The Avengers means it colloquially, but it's what Thanos intends literally, at least in the comics.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Per Kevin Feige....

quote:

He’s from a planet called Titan that’s no longer inhabited because of things that he thought he could help prevent, and he was not allowed to do that. What he feared most happened, and the planet and everybody on it basically went extinct. He vowed not to let that happen again. He thinks he sees the universe going down the tubes. He thinks he sees life expanding outward unchecked. That will bring ruin, he believes, to the universe and to that life.

Not a great explanation right now. I hope they end up smoothing out his motivation a bit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I couldn't even begin to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sir Kodiak posted:

They're keeping it true to Black Panther.

I can't remember, did I (or anyone) ever make a post about how the finale of Black Panther is clearly patterned after the finale of Episode 1?

Divided into three different battles as part of a larger whole: a large infantry skirmish set on a bright green field with bubble shields where the entire opposing army shuts down at once, a space battle with an undertrained pilot doing pretty much everything, and a one-on-on battle between the lead and the main villain inside the palace with moments where the two are blocked by a barrier and have to just pace back and forth waiting to fight again.

I actually got super excited as I was watching it in theaters because it was immediately obvious to me. But of course I think that the finale of Episode 1 is actually really underrated as a cinematic work.